The SCD Lifestyle Solution Podcast #16: Your Questions Answered

If you like what you hear, make sure you subscribe on iTunes. (And don’t forget to give it a rating – thanks!)

When I was growing up, I always felt safe going to the doctor. It didn’t matter how sick I was – I knew that when I went in to see my Doc he was going to make it all ok.

Being a grown-up makes things complicated doesn’t it?

That safe and secure feeling around my doctor quickly disappeared when I was having diarrhea 10 times a day and he couldn’t help me.

So I did what any engineer would do – I started asking a lot of questions. And I didn’t stop until I had answers that made sense to me. And eventually, I asked the one “right question” in front of the “right” doctor and found the SCD Diet.

The point is that asking the right questions is the most important thing you can do for your health… and we want to make it easy for you. Today, the SCD Lifestyle Solution Podcast #16 dives into the questions you’ve been submitting.

If you want to learn how many times a day we poop, what we eat, and the supplements we take – then listen to this podcast. This podcast is all about answering your questions. And if you still have more, please click the link at the bottom of the post to send them to us.

On This Podcast, We Cover:

2:03 Question #1 – We update our stories completely transparent
8:02 3 foods Jordan doesn’t eat that allow him to have perfect poops
11:53 What is Steve’s current diet
16:17 Question #2 – What supplements should you be taking?
21:40 What you should know about blood tests at the doctor’s office
24:27 Question #3 – How to end hunger with filling foods?
30:50 Question #4 – When to start SCD yogurt for the fastest success?

Play

Want your questions answered on the next podcast?

Click this link to submit your questions: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7DZJJTT

-Jordan

P.S. – If you can’t see the audio player below, click here for the source file.

Heidi February 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Hi, This is Heidi, from Mexico. Just to comment on your podcasts, on your site, on all the information you provide…..they are SO very helpful to me. You guys are what answer all my questions and give me encouragement to keep going on. Yes,, the BTVC book is the answer, but the information you provide is the answer sheet. Since I am new, I go back continually and read your archives, and usually the problem I am dealing with is answered. So thank you so very much. Now, where I am at: YES!!! Our son and his wife arrived with my precious enzymes and BHI, and as you said, they worked immediately. I went 6 1/2 days without “D” ….. I was dancing. Had a little setback last night and this morning, but I have been introducing coconut flour into my diet, so that could have caused it and am a bit gassy also. I have come to learn about myself that I am FAR from an engineer. Whereas staying on the diet is not hard for me whatsoever, I am very impatient about adding new foods, and I do not like to “figure things out” as you guys do. I am just “bothered” when I introduce a new food and it gives me problems. I also don’t wait the full 4 days with a new introduction. One day … good… OK let’s move on. And because of that I often suffer, but it’s my fault.
You guys do such a good job because you deal with so many different personalities and yet still try to encourage people to stay on the diet, because you know it will work. It’s just our foolishness that gets us into trouble. Reading some of the comments on the support group sites of people who are on the diet are often discouraging to me, because it sounds like they had no problem at all….they’re eating all the almond flour muffins and everything on the legal list….but you guys state more the reality, so I know what I am experiencing is not abnormal, and I just need to discipline myself more and HAVE MORE PATIENCE. Probably the reason I feel this way is because I have not suffered with this intestinal problem for years like you guys did….this is something new in my life within the past year or so. But I have confidence it will work…it is working….and I am grateful for your support and help. Thanks again.
Heidi in Mexico

Tressey February 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm

You guys want to share some tasty, quick satisfying fat based snack options? Just eating a spoon full of coconut oil is not cutting it, especially for my little SCDer.

Jordan Reasoner February 6, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Hi Tressey,

Start by thinking of Coconut oil or olive oil like butter and using it like such. I actually put it as a topping on my meats and dip veggies in it warm.

As far as snacks go, I recently made a snack that your little SCDer might like: little coconut meatballs. Here’s what I did:

– First I put my coconut oil in the fridge so it was a solid
– Then I made 20 bite sized ground beef balls and cooked them
– I left them to cool in fridge
– Once they cooled down I rolled them in the coconut oil (as a solid) until they we’re coated and put them back in the fridge
– Then I just snacked on them cold as a fatty protein snack on a trip I went on… they we’re amazing

Let me know if you try them out.

michal February 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I have a question to you . My daughter suffer from UC and she is vegetarian. When we looked at Elaine Gottschal book we did feel that it will be useful for her. Any suggestions?

Jordan Reasoner February 16, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Hi Michal,

I think SCD is great idea to try for anyone with an IBD. So I would say give it 30 days with your daughter and see how she does. It is possible to do vegetarian style but much easier not. You could even try it both ways and compare them! Let me know how it goes!

Damon Dexaler February 18, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Hi Guys!

I’m a SCD newbie and 32 year veteran of Crohns. I’ve acquired your eBook and have been soaking it up. After many fits and starts, I have decided to reset and use the Wright / Reasoner method this time around (I’m actually on Day 3). Wish me luck!

I will be documenting my progress (scd731.wordpress.com) and
cannot wait to report of my success.

I have but one question at this time: Digestive enzymes?

I know you guys recommend digestive enzymes.
But, my concern is two-fold: (1) I don’t want to confuse
the success of the diet with an additional variable (how will
I know what actually worked?) and (2) I don’t want to take on
an additional crutch. I know it may be necessary while I
heal (like apparently my Prednisone has been from time to
time), but eventually I’d like to be crutch-free and resolve my
digestive issues and be symptom free with SCD foods alone.

What are your thoughts?

-Damon++++

Jordan Reasoner February 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hi Damon,

Great job starting the diet man, that’s awesome, and thanks for buying the book – let us know what you think.

You can definitely try getting started on the diet without the enzymes, but they are so amazing at helping with the fats and proteins in the beginning. Try them for 30 days and then see if you can wean off them. If you’re goal is to get off the Prednisone first and foremost, try everything you can to do that first… and if digestive enzymes can help you do that than why not try it?

Just my $0.02. ~ Jordan

Jordan Reasoner February 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hi Damon,

Just my $0.02. ~ Jordan

Christina February 25, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Hi, I’m on a diet of 35 days. today I reduced the dose of prednisone 5 mg. I’m out 35mh prednisolone and 4 g Asakol. And today came the blood. I do not know what to do. but I am on prednisone for 6 months.
even today, I put yoghurt. I took 1 / 2 tablespoons in the morning and 1 / 2 tablespoons in the evening and no side effects was not
To enter yogurt??
Is this normal???

Christina February 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Hi, I recently acquired a calcium + vitamin D3, but it contains dye indyhokarmin (E 132), barvnnyk riboflavin (E101) and yellow dye event (E 110)?? May I take it?

Christina February 26, 2011 at 12:27 pm

(Vitrum) – Calcium 600 + D 400 is legal for SCD??

andrew goldrich March 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I have been working on the diet about 14 months. it took me almost 12 to get it right. I am doing much better, a little too much gas and a little constipation. Giving up coffee has been the hardest but after 5 days or so it starts to get me, lots of rumbling and gas and abdominal pain. the same things happens with yogurt but quicker. I am almost certain I get the temperature right but I still get rumbling and gas within a couple hours. As I have been on diet longer bad foods make themselves known much quicker. Do many people have trouble with yogurt?

Steven Wright April 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Hi Andrew – Many people do have problems with the yogurt, have you tried many different combos of bases (goat vs cow) and starters (GI Pro/yogourmet)? If your still having trouble with yogurt at this point, probiotics might be the best route for your body.