SCD Legal Yogurt Is the Difference Maker, Don’t Eat It at Your Own Risk!

I remember when I first read about SCD legal yogurt, I was immediately put off. I was new to the kitchen and cooking was hard enough without learning how to make fermented foods. From some reading online, I figured the only reason I needed to eat the yogurt was for it’s probiotic effect. So I reasoned if I could get those probiotics in pill form, why would I ever mess around with creating my own yogurt?

Well, that’s the danger of doing incomplete research on the web. Without investigating both sides of every story, we will usually only find the side we want to hear. Of course I found the answer I was looking for – plenty of websites telling me how good it was to take some probiotic pills. What I didn’t do was fully read about the difference between the two. Because I chose the easy way out, I didn’t start yogurt until sometime in the 2nd month of the SCD diet. This was a huge mistake, because as soon as I started it I saw a HUGE improvement in my bowel movement quality.

What is Yogurt?

Wikipedia defines yogurt as a dairy product that is produced with bacterial fermentation of milk. I only half agree with this definition, as I’ve seen almond yogurt and coconut yogurt made using a non-dairy yogurt starter. So I think we should rewrite Wikipedia with a more scientific statement that talks more to the bacterial fermentation part. Something to the tune of “a fermented food that results when the (good) bacteria Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus transform a seemingly good food into a POWER FOOD.”

Now that we’ve been all PC and include all versions of yogurt that can be made, why should you eat it besides the awesome amount of bacteria it contains? Well, it turns out that yogurt is very high in protein and a great source of calcium and the B vitamins (2,6 and 12). Now, if you don’t know, anyone who is having digestive trouble is not completely absorbing the vitamins and minerals they are ingesting, so eating a very high concentrated source like yogurt is very important. What if you are thinking like I used to and say “Well, there are pills for that too…”

Why You’re Wasting Time by Not Eating Yogurt on SCD

We all know that the SCD diet is designed to reduce inflammation by removing grains and other hard to digest foods. In the process, we also remove the food source of many bad bacteria. And the killing of bad bacteria is what causes “die-off” symptoms at the beginning of the diet. Well, if we are taking the time and effort to kill the bad bacteria, we need to do everything in our power to put some good bacteria in their place. I used to think, “No big deal. I will load up on probiotic pills.” But always in the back of my mind is “Do I need the yogurt?” Great question…

The answer is simple – there isn’t a probiotic source available that will give you what 1 or 2 cups of homemade SCD legal yogurt will in terms of a bacteria payload. For each 1 ml of yogurt you eat, you ingest about 3 Billion CFU’s of probiotic goodness. CFUs are colony-forming units or a way to measure how many bacteria are in a substance. According to Elaine, SCD legal yogurt contains at least 700 Billion CFUs per cup. Now, go look at your probiotic pills. I bet at most you’re getting about 50 billion CFUs a day. That’s the equivalent of shooting a machine gun at a fortified bunker. Except this bunker is your digestive tract and it currently has on average of about 100 TRILLION bacteria in it.

Now, I’m not saying that probiotic pills are a waste of time or money – just that they aren’t comparable to SCD legal yogurt. Probiotic pills have their place in the healing journey. They are especially useful in the beginning months of the diet, and we advocate taking Lactobacillus Acidophilus right from day 1. They are also useful when they supplement your diet with bacteria strains that are not in your yogurt starter. But after some healing has taken place, it is time to break out the big guns and start eating some bunker busting yogurt to really help your healing.

So, now that you are ready to dive into the world of making homemade yogurt, where do you go to learn how? Below are some of the most useful links available on the web for free.

Pecanbread shows us how to make goat or cow milk yogurt with a traditional yogurt maker

Elaine shows us how to make it using a heating pad

Kat shows how she makes it with a vacuum yogurt maker

The take home point of the article is don’t neglect eating SCD legal yogurt. It is an extremely nourishing food that delivers a payload of good bacteria that are just waiting to help get rid of the bad bacteria in your gut. SCD legal yogurt cannot be substituted by using probiotic pills! But don’t throw them away, as they usually contain other good bacteria strains not available in homemade yogurt. Ideally, you will start taking probiotics as soon as you start the diet. Then, very slowly, start adding in SCD legal yogurt at the end of the 2nd week or in the 3rd week of the diet.

I know deciding to start eating SCD legal yogurt gave me a huge bump in health, and I’m sure it will for you, too! Making it at home is easy and straightforward with the above links. In our most up-to-date version of SCD Lifestyle: Surviving to Thriving, we outlined in picture-by-picture steps how to make goat’s, cow’s and almond milk yogurt.

-Steve

Amy August 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I shared my coconut yogurt “recipe” on Nell Stephenson’s blog recently. Here’s the link for anyone who wants it: http://tinyurl.com/3ytguha

The one caveat is that I use gelatin to thicken the yogurt. I think the SCD legality of this is questionable, since yogurt is not supposed to have anything added to it until after it’s cooled. If the gelatin were left out, it would be runny but still tasty. Even though I am no longer strictly following the SCD (I’m on a Primal diet now) I still eat my coconut yogurt daily. It makes such a big difference in my digestive health. I know I wouldn’t have been able to broaden my diet without it.

Steven Wright August 9, 2010 at 10:02 am

@ Amy – Thanks for stopping by and providing the great coconut yogurt recipe! I’m going to have to try it soon.

Gelatin is legal on the SCD diet and even used in the intro diet! Just make sure its the unflavored kind.

Hayley August 9, 2010 at 3:11 pm

What about kefir? I’ve read its way better than yogurt with bacterial cultures that colonize the GI Tract and aren’t transient like those in yogurt. It has more beneficial strains as well including beneficial yeasts to control & eliminate destructive yeasts. It also has smaller curds and is fermented longer making it easier to digest with lower lactose than yogurt – they say it improves digestion for those who are lactose intolerant. What’s the dif. b/w SCD legal yogurt and kefir?

Hayley August 9, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Also dairy is the #1 food allergy (that doesn’t include those who are lactose intolerant), so if following an anti-inflammatory diet version of SCD, I don’t know if yogurt is the best route cuz each time you’d consume dairy you will have an immune response. The kefir in america is usually from dairy as well unfortunately. There are a lot of reasons why people may not necessarily want to consume something nature produced to turn a calf into cow.. namely the nutrients Calcium:Phosporus and the two main proteins whey:casein are not in the ideal ratios for human bioavailability (absorption)… the choice is ours in the end, as the only species that consumes the milk of another. Any thoughts you’d like to add on these issues?

Steven Wright August 11, 2010 at 11:19 am

@ Hayley – Thanks for stopping by, Kefir can be a very valuable addition to the SCD diet but it is advised against being used until you have been following the diet for sometime.

The reasons behind this are explained in the above link however the short summary is that Kefir does contain yeasts which in a comprised digestive system may cause more problems than benefits. The other problem is that cow milk’s kefir in order to be lactose free needs to be fermented between 24 and 48 hrs vs SCD yogurt only needs 24hrs. While the 2 main strains of yogurt bacteria are transient these bacteria have been proven to help digestion and can live up to a couple days in the digestive tract. The two best yogurt starters GI Pro and Yogourmet contain other strains that also aid in digestion. As far as I know there has never been a scientific study that compared Kefir strains vs Yogurt strains and their effectiveness in helping digestion.

Another note is that SCD legal yogurt can be made with or without Casein/Whey. Each person is different and should be encouraged to try several different types of yogurt including Cows Milk, Goats Milk, Nut Milks, Coconut Milks. You are correct in stating that dairy is the number 1 allergy and many people don’t find this out until trying a different non-dairy yogurt starter.

While there is a big debate raging on whether or not we should/have adapted to consuming the milk of another animal I think the probiotics out weight the negatives. If you feel strongly against consuming animal milks then there are plenty of non animal milks to try. It has been shown in several studies that people who have digestive problems have significantly less good strains of bacteria in the digestive tract than healthy people. I believe because of this we should be doing everything in our power to try and get more beneficial bacteria back into our bodies.

So to sum it up I would suggest consuming SCD Legal yogurt right from the start of the diet and I encourage everyone to experiment with different types of milks. I think Kefir has the ability to take your health to the next level however it shouldn’t be tried until significant healing has taken place. I’m planning on experimenting with it soon and hope to be able to provide more info then.

Lorren Winship August 23, 2010 at 9:46 am

From what I know almond, rice, and hemp milk all contain carrageenan, which is illegal.
It contributes to inflammation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrageenan

Kella DeHabermann July 4, 2016 at 9:58 am

Silk brand does not. I know Blue Diamond does.

Anna November 26, 2016 at 5:49 pm

Classic Rice Dream (non-flavored, non-enriched) doesn’t have carrageenan.

Jordan Reasoner August 23, 2010 at 10:47 am

Lorren,

Thanks for the tip. I know that pretty much all store bought Almond Milk is not legal for that reason, but I think that if you make your own out of raw organic almonds you should be fine. You can also make almond milk from organic almond flour like the kind from Lucy’s kitchen.

Amy Koenig April 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Do you have a good recipe for making Almond milk yourself at home?

Amy Koenig April 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Have you guys done any research into raw milk for the SCD? It is loaded with good bacteria that is killed off in the pasteurization process, and most people who can’t drink pasteurized milk can drink it. If you made yogurt with raw milk would it have even MORE good bacteria in it? And it SHOULD be easier to digest.

Jerry December 9, 2010 at 9:35 am

Hello – where in the UK can I buy a suitable SCD yoghurt starter that does not contain Bifidus? Thanks

Jordan Reasoner December 10, 2010 at 11:48 am

Hi Jerry,

I’m not sure on that one – let me get back to you on it.

Matt July 13, 2012 at 10:25 am

Did you find this? I am really struggling to find anything here. Even the TOTAL yogurt that is listed on the official site here: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/beginners_guide/yoghurt/yog_starters.htm contains bifidus. I’m really really struggling to find any from anywhere

clare wilson November 19, 2012 at 5:38 am

YOU CAN GET A LEGAL STARTER FROM LARGEER SAINSBURYS IN THE UK IT IS MADE BY WOODLANDS AND IS A SHEEPS MADE YOGHURT IT HAS NO BIFIDUS IN IT
LOVE CLARE X

Pepsi December 3, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Hi,
I am Newley starting the SCD also known as (specific carbs diet)
I am going to make a homemade youghut which is best suited to me, I am going to use Wooldands Sheep youghut and milk however
What milk can I use to use? Cows milk or sheeps milk? To make the youghut

If anyone knows this please get back to me.

Thanks

Goose December 29, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Because I used to have problems with cow milk I first started off with goat milk. After about a month of goat milk yogurt I slowly switched to cow milk because it’s cheaper and more readily available in my area. The problem with goat’s milk is that it doesn’t produce a very thick final product so I got into the habit of hanging the yogurt for a few hours before eating it. (For hanging yogurt you can use cheesecloth and a dowel of some sort or personally I use a sieve and disposable coffee filter.) The side benefit of draining excess whey is that some people, myself included, report that it is easier to digest.

TL;DR: If you’ve had previous issues with dairy a number of people have had success starting with goat’s milk and then transitioning. Others have to stay with goat’s milk. If you are fine with dairy in general go with the best dairy you can afford/find. Organic grassfed is ideal be it cow, sheep or goat.

Sue February 25, 2016 at 2:04 pm

Homesteadfarmsupplies.co.uk

I have only received mine today so haven’t tried it yet

Sophia January 9, 2011 at 2:57 am

I have successfully been making SCD yogurt with my Sunbeam heating pad for the last couple of months. After heating milk to 180 and cooling to 110 and adding the starter (as explained by everyone on the web), you can either leave your stainless steel pot on the pad on MEDIUM and cover with dish towels or pour milk straight into your glass jars and leave on the pad on HIGH covered by a few dish towels. This is a very simple and consistent method. And it doesn’t tie up your oven or involve coolers, etc.

Jordan Reasoner January 10, 2011 at 11:05 am

Thanks Sophia – great idea for an alternative method!

Sheena April 13, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Jordan and Steve,

When should one introduce nut yogurt and almond milk into the diet? As BTVC says to wait 6 months and pecanbread says wait a few, I am wondering what is right. I introduced it two weeks into the diet this time. I am doing dairy-free and was anxious for the benefits of yogurt!

Thanks!
Sheena

Steven Wright April 16, 2011 at 4:00 pm

@ Sheena – If your doing it dairy free I think they can be pulled ahead for the purposes of yogurt. But I will be honest, if your still having problems at a month into the diet and your eating yogurt, I would encourage you to order dairy free probiotics and give the yogurt a break until you get your symptoms under control.

Sheena April 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Thanks Steve. All right, will pull the yogurt out.

Max February 22, 2012 at 5:58 am

Hi guys, been doing SCD yogurt for a while now. Is it possible to make an SCD yogurt from a lactose free milk? We have a good lactose free milk here in Europe. Or does the yogurt starter needs lactose to grow the bacteria?

Steven Wright February 27, 2012 at 9:48 am

Hi Max – Normally the bacteria need to ferment the lactose to make the yogurt. Lactose-free milks usually contain added sugars to make up for the removal of lactose. That normally makes them illegal. Honestly you would have to try to ferment the milk for 24hrs and see what happens… I don’t know of anyone doing this yet so please post your results.

Tantija October 9, 2012 at 1:54 am

Hi! I am on SCD diet from December 2011. My concern is about the lactose free yogurt.
I was trying to make yogurt from the goat milk. Fermented it for 24 hours, even for 48 hours, but unfortunately was not able to eat, still had reaction like for lactose. Then for many month was doing almond milk yogurt (made almond milk myself). Two weeks ago tried to make yogurt from lactose free milk and love it. It does not say on the pack that it contains any added sugar, it says milk and lactose enzymes. Lactose enzymes break lactose to galactose and glucose this is why milk sweet not because sugar is added. But I can see that in Elaine book she only prohibit drinking lactose free milk it does not say anything about making yogurt from it. I really love this yogurt but understand that have to go back to sieving almonds 🙁

Steven Wright October 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm

@Tantija – There’s a very large minority who just cannot handle anything dairy related. In cases like yours our clients usually see the best results by trying fermented vegetables or probiotics.

Chris February 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm

How many of the gi pro health probiotics should I be taking a day? When is the best time to take them?

Steven Wright February 27, 2012 at 9:50 am

Hey Chris – Everyone is different, but general rules to abide by are to start slow and build up your dosage overtime to about 30-40 billion CFU’s a day. Observe any changes and adjust per your body.

Diane March 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’m new to making the SCD yogurt. I’m hoping someone can give me some tips on how to do this right. My first batch looks good and has a good consistancy, not grainy or anything but it is so sour tasting that it is very hard to eat other than putting half a bottle of honey on it which then defeats the purpose. I hear everyone say that it tastes so great, but I’m having a hard time eating mine. Is it suppose to be that sour or did I possible do something wrong.

Ryan March 30, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Thanks to everyone for the recipes and information!! I have chron’s and I am just starting the SCD and am reading a lot to learn about it and specifically the yogurt. I was wondering if you could address a questions I have. I have been dairy free for several years so I’m wondering do I get the same probiotic benefit from making a nondairy coconut or cashew yogurt as opposed to coor goat milk yogurt? It seem like the answer is yes but I’m not exactly sure. The other question I have, is goat milk yogurt possibly easier to digest than cow milk yogurt? Is it resonable to think I could transition to goat milk yogurt after doing the nut yogurt? Should I be able to digest the goat milk yogurt now anyway? I was wondering if from the yogurt making process it makes the goat yogurt digestable for someone with dairy issues. Sorry for so many questions. Thanks so much for the help!!! Ryan

Linda April 1, 2012 at 11:52 am

Diane,

Could your yogurt have possibly gotten too hot? I accidently got my yogurt too hot once and it was very sour. I ended up throwing it out and made another batch. The yogurt does taste “plain” to many people with just a slightly sour taste, but it shouldn’t taste very sour as you’re describing. I’d try again and monitor the temperature very closely. Even yogurt makers can run too hot at times. Don’t give up – it’s so worth it! I know you’ll get it!

Debbie June 27, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Just want to give you my report on SCD legal yogurts. I have celiac’s and am allergic to caseine, in dairy. I had developed a duodenal ulcer and was put on triple antibiotic therapy. That’s when I started to develop and inflamed bowel. I’ve been off and on the SCD for the celiac’s, but have had to go on SCD out of necessity since the antibiotics. I tried cow’s milk yogurt and it strung out my nervous system with internal tremors and major inflammation. Then I went to goat’s yogurt, which was much more easily tolerated, but made my skin and scalp very itchy, with sores. Now I’m making my own almond yogurt out of my own homemade almond milk. I use the recipe on GI ProHealth’s web site. The yogurt is very tasty and I love the texture. I strain the milk three times to get all of the almond fiber out. I don’t know how it’s working on my gut yet, since I just started using it.

Suellan July 1, 2012 at 10:47 am

I have severe Crohn’s disease, had right colon removed 3 years ago due to stricture from scarring, and recently had the rest of my large intestine removed only 9weeks ago as it just wouldn’t heal after 6years of continuous treatment and high amounts of medications still couldn’t keep me stable. After removing that, leaving my small intestine attached to my rectum… only 5weeks after discharge from my op, i was readmitted as the rectum was ridiculously inflammed and i lost 9kg in those 5weeks and could not tolerate any food at all, and that is still being on high meds. Which is when i was upgraded from aggressive crohn’s to severe.
My body went into anorexic phase and was rejecting food and i had to slowly reintroduce my body to food again by small snacks multiple times through the day until i could eat without feeling like i was going to vomit. they had me on low residue diet, but told me to only eat white bread and lots of high calorie supplement drinks to put weight back on. when i left hospital they told me to eat white bread, eggs, dairy, and meat and fish only,.. no fruit or vegetables until my body stabalized. (COMPLETELY OPPOSITE TO THE SCD DIET)
It was at this point i decided to investigate into diet and how closely linked it was and my goodness i was amazed at what i discovered. Why the doctors dont explain or suggest looking into diet changes really blows me away. After the 6.5 years i have endured with this horrible disease and every time i ask about diet, im told just trial and error and to avoid foods that make me sick otherwise there is no specific diet to follow other than avoiding high fibre during a flare up. But that’s easier said than done when you dont know where to start!
After my research, I tried gluten free for about a week, probably not enough to see any real results but the yoghurt sounds like it is really beneficial. However i am unsure when to take it? At what time of day is best to consume the yoghurt?
Is there some specific order i should follow with daily enzymes, probiotics and yoghurt?
I struggle with breakfast ideas as i love my bread/toast and cutting that out has pretty much eliminated all breakfast options for me.
Can the yoghurt be used as breakfast if i add berries or fruit to make it more filling and less tarty?
Sorry my comment is so long.. i just want to get everything together first so i can really hit this disease hard and get on top of it and reclaim my life!
Looking forward to your response 🙂
Thanks, Suellan

Steven Wright July 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm

@ Suellan – I’m sorry that the doctors didn’t do more for you, but I’m happy your finally here! I would take it easy on the vegetables and fruits right now, make sure you peel, cook and puree them in your condition. Slowly work them back in. But Coconut oil, seafood and cooked meat that you chew should be your go-to foods.

The yogurt can be eaten in the morning as a breakfast, but you need to slowly introduce it. Have you tried eggs and bacon? Or Jordan’s famous breakfast sausage yet? Trust me and the 100’s of other who swear by it!

True yogurt is tart, only the store bought overly sweetened stuff is “sweet”. You can add honey and fruit to it to help. Enzymes and Probiotics should be higher on your priority list than SCD yogurt as they are easier to control the variables. Any homemade fermented foods contain some variation that you just cannot control for like supplements.

Matt July 12, 2012 at 12:28 am

Hi there, is the ‘yogurt starter’ just simply active yogurt?

Steven Wright July 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm

@Matt – the GI Pro Health is not simply yogurt no. It’s the active ingredients without the milk proteins. Checked by the lab to make sure it’s high quality and pure. But you can try using regular yogurt as a starter if you want. People do report success, it’s just not as reliable in my experience.

Gem August 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Quick question. Is it the core temperature of the yogurt that needs to be between 100-110F or is it the environment that the yogurt incubates in that needs to be in this range? (i.e, yogurt maker, oven, dehydrator) The reason I ask is the two don’t always correlate due to evaporation of liquids, material used, etc.

Thank you.

Nathalie October 3, 2012 at 1:56 am

Hi
I have been diagnosed with Crohns disease and I would like to do my own yogurt.
I live in Sydney and I am unable to find a store who sells a non dairy yogurt starter. I only found this product which is a dairy starter: http://www.natrenpro.com/product_yogurt_starter.asp
I am gonna use some goat milk, so what would you suggest ? Is that bad to make it with a dairy starter ? Or do you have a website to recommend so I can order the non dairy one? Thanks a lot! Nathalie

Deborah October 21, 2012 at 11:51 am

Hi Steve, this is for Matt and anyone else in the UK having trouble finding a legal yoghurt starter here. He can buy Woodlands Organic Sheep Milk Live Yoghurt 450g, it has the right probiotic in it, NO Bifidus, and can be used as a starter to make 24 hr yoghurt. On their site they say:-

Where to Buy
Our yoghurts are available in 95% of Waitrose stores, approximately half of the Sainsbury stores, and a large number of independent health food shops, good delicatessens and farm shops. Waitrose and Sainsbury stock our 450g pots of natural yoghurt, and many health food shops stock all of our range, including fruit flavours. We supply most of the distributors to the health food trade so if you wish to purchase from them, please ask your nearest health food shop if they can supply you. If you are still unable to find our products just give us a call on 0845 467 9894 or contact us.

Hope this helps.

Jordan Reasoner October 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for sharing this Deborah, very cool!

Deborah October 26, 2012 at 11:54 am

Hi, we contacted Woodlands, to ask what cultures are in their goats milk yoghurt because it doesn’t name them on the tub, it just says it is live, and they said that the cultures in their Goats milk yoghurt are Lactobacillus Bulgarius, Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Streptococcus Thermophilus, same as the sheeps milk yoghurt, so this too can be used as a starter.

Claire December 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Hi, I am giving goat’s and sheep’s milk yogurt a try (I like the combination b/c adding sheep’s milk makes the yogurt thicker and tastier). But, I am having the problem that my nose gets really runny and I intestines get stopped up. From your experience does this seem like a sign that the yogurt isn’t good for me? Or would you guys recommend trying for another 2 weeks or so before giving up? Thnx, Claire

Steven Wright December 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm

@claire – this is pretty good sign that your reacting to something. Either too many probiotics too fast or the proteins in the dairy. Try Sauerkraut instead.

Rachel December 16, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Hi Steven,

Thanks so much for all the work you’ve put into this site. I just made my first batch of goat’s milk yogurt (pasteurized – it turned out just fine!) and after eating two tablespoon fulls I had some weird reactions. It sort of feels like a fight or flight reaction; I feel sort of foggy and also like I’m holding my breath almost. After a recent stool test I found I have absolutely no growth of any good bacteria aside from E.coli. I’ve been sick with gastro issues for 3 years, and I’m just now getting to the root of the problem (without doctors of course…). Obviously, I need to repopulate the microbiome, but I’m wondering if my reaction is normal for a “sick” person? I can’t find any other “reactions” online, just that some people do have them. So vague.

Steven Wright December 16, 2012 at 7:54 pm

@Rachel – Just take it much much slower. Fermented foods are powerful. Start with 1/2 teaspoon if need be for a few days and then keep doubling it. Also listen to Jordan’s experience here -> http://scdlifestyle.tv/how-probiotics-boost-your-immune-system/

Kate December 26, 2012 at 9:39 am

I am about to make scd legal yogurt for the first time. I ordered Yogourmet starter online but noticed the package states that the product is “manufactured in a facility that manipulates products that contain wheat….” This is usually a huge red flag for me, because of celiac disease. Has anyone with celiac disease used the yogourmet starter with success? Thanks.

Kimberly January 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hi! I thought I watched one of your videos where you had the results of the bacteria in your gut before eatting fermented foods and then after, but now I can’t find it. Did you guys have a video like that?

Jordan Reasoner January 16, 2013 at 4:46 pm
Nadia uk February 8, 2013 at 11:49 am

hi
I am helping my husband who just started the SCD on monday 4th of feb. He’s been diagnosed for uc last aug and had 2 flares since. He is having formed bs for more than a month for being on asacol. he was on prednisone for the last 8 weeks as well.
Well he had normal yogurt as well as SCD yogurt last month but stopped during the scd intro. However he is having the cheese made from the SCD yog as dry curd cottage cheese in not available in the uk.
when can he start his scd yog again?

jay February 22, 2013 at 10:24 pm

hi a good way to keep your yogurt of kefir warm is to use a cooler with a quart jar of water with peroxide in it and a quality fish tank heater and a remote temp gauge is nice 10 bucks at haardware stores.. also the scd book says to not use uht ultra pasturized milk for some reason, also buy organic or natural atleast,i use raw milk but its non gmo corn feed there is no grass feed cows here. most organic milk at the store is still gmo fed and the calves are blood fed also.

jay March 3, 2013 at 2:16 am

if you want even less lactose strain your yogurt, kefir or sourcream of the whey in the fridge! i use old silk shirts or silk screen or milk bags. sourcream i have learned has less lactose then yogurt because its made with cream, look for a firm orgainic kind with no additives. i was thinking about adding back nut milks to make it yogurt again or just use water

Chris April 14, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I recently purchased your SCD lifestyle ebook and noticed in the yogurt making section that you pictured periwinkle swiss goat milk, which is ultra pasteurized, but I have read several places not to use UHT milk when making yogurt and that it may not even culture. What gives? The periwinkle is the only brand my local store carries. Is it acceptable for use or not?

Steven Wright April 15, 2013 at 8:56 am

@Chris – I haven’t read anything about UHT but I’m always learning. Seemed to work great for me.

Chris April 15, 2013 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the quick answer Steve. If you’ve been doing it and its worked for you I’ll give it a shot. Here’s a link to the WAP website where I read about UHT milk. http://www.westonaprice.org/modern-foods/ultra-pasteurized-milk

Sarah May 14, 2013 at 7:47 am

If you don’t eat dairy yogurt, what kind do you eat? Goats milk? Almond?? I eliminated dairy too, and it has made a huge difference. But I am pregnant and would love to eat yogurt. I make almond milk, but I have yet to try Goats and I wanted to see how that went for you.

Laurie May 29, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Hello!
So after thinking about it for a while and being sick for so long w/ UC, I finally started the SCD last week and as is well. I’m incredibly intimitated by this yogurt making thing and to make matters worse, after much deliberation, the yogurt maker I ordered just became discontinued. So….who can suggest a quality yogurt maker, that is easy to use? I really appreciate the tips!

Olivia October 2, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Hi Steve, I just added almond yogurt to my diet (made with a non dairy starter from GI Prohealth). I have got increased bloating and gassiness. Is this expected? How long does it usually last, and is there anyway to get rid of it? I am wondering whether to give up the yogurt, as it’s very unpleasant. Olivia

Cynthia Albert, BSN, RN October 4, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Hi Steve and Jordan,

I started out on SCD with purchasing your eBooks last July. The biggest hurdle I am having is the yogurt. I have celiac disease and have a true allergy to casein, so I avoid dairy altogether. I am interested in making coconut milk, yet the Yogourmet heats up higher than 110 degrees. The dimmer switch I bought for it from the same online store does not work with the Yogourmet. The switch works, yet the current does not connect to the yogurt maker. Then I read in a recently published cookbook that coconut yogurt can be made at 120 degrees for 24 hours. Is this SCD legal? I am trying to do the right thing here, and the frustration is overwhelming.

Sara November 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm

This is great – I have almond flour that I’d like to try making it with and am not having luck finding a recipe online. Do you pretty much follow the same process as almond milk yogurt making?

katerina December 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Yogurt me this…
Can I just buy local yogurt from my local farmers market that has no additives; just local milk and active cultures.
Is this an effective equivalent to making it myself?

Laura February 2, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Help! This is so new to me and your site is great, but I’m stuck on what to do next. I was diagnosed with SIBO a few months ago, given some meds , still had it and treated again. I decided at that point to take matters into my own hands. Also I had my gallbladder removed because it was functioning at zero percent. I started making your 24 scd yogurt and taking a daily probiotic. Now what? I don’t have a disease, but I need to create a healthy digestive system. Do I take enzymes too? Do I eat fermented Food? Do I do all of the Above? Do I need to be on a special diet although I don’t have a disease? And if so for how long? Any help would be appreciated.

CrohnsMom February 8, 2014 at 8:24 pm

I would like to start making this but I don’t know if its the right time. Do you recommend using the homemade yogurt when starting the intro diet when diarrhea is active? Or, should I wait until diarrhea stops.?

Marina Michaels July 6, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I’ve been making yogurt using a Salton YM-9 incubator. However, that only makes one quart at a time, and I’ve been searching for something that makes a larger batch. I just found the Brod and Taylor folding proofer, which can be used to make up to six quarts of yogurt at a time. (You use your own containers, which means you can use glass canning jars.) Has anyone had experience with that device? (I found it on Amazon.) It looks like it is exactly what I need. Thanks!

Alex September 5, 2014 at 8:10 am

Hi. I have been using the almond recipe since I have been intolerant to dairy my whole life. I also have had store bought yogurts and milks that were dairy free to end up with the same pain. I have been fallowing the SCD Diet with the GI Prohealth yogurt using almonds and I can honestly say my body is having HUGE change since the yogurt introduction. I was struggling for three weeks before buying the yogurt maker try to stay strict to the diet. Every time I went off for something simple like peanut butter etc…pain. I am sooooo happy and grateful for this support system .. thank you Jordan and Steve for giving me hope that something will work in my life to feel better. I have celiac’s disease and I just got worse and worse with gluten free foods until I could not tolerate any food at all. I highly recommend the breakfast sausage! I puree all my veggies right now. A great idea for desert I have been doing is to puree butternut squash with a bit of coconut oil and cinnamon. I let it sit in the fridge and mix with my yogurt and add more cinnamon. I don’t feel deprived now. I am so so greatful…

Lori Jo Berg September 5, 2014 at 9:27 am

HI Alex, thank you for reaching out and sharing your story with us! We are excited that you are regaining your health, great work!

Bill October 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I just added the SCD yoghurt to my diet, and it has caused me quite a bit of pain (cramping, headaches, frequent diarrhea). Should I stop and try it later?? The other SCD foods seem to be working for me, but adding the yoghurt has been agonizing.

Lori Jo Berg October 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm

HI Bill, thank you for reaching out Your body may not have been ready for the yogurt, so go ahead and introduce it again when you feel your body has done some more healing.

Kerry Winge February 13, 2015 at 11:54 am

What brand of coconut milk are you using ?

Lori Jo Berg February 16, 2015 at 10:41 am

Hi Kerry, thanks for reaching out! We suggest trying to make the yogurt by first testing out cow and goat milk to see how you do. If not, you can try an organic brand of coconut milk, such as SO COCONUT MILK or any similar will do- just check the ingredients first.

Rachel February 23, 2015 at 2:08 am

Hi. I’ve just started introducing the yoghurt in small quantities but I think I’m reacting to it (even a tablespoon for example). Before I started SCD I was living off Fage Greek yoghurt and this didn’t seem cause me problems despite eating tubs of the stuff. I used it as a starter for my own yoghurt so the probiotics should be the same (I’m assuming!) Can anyone shed any light on why this might be the case? Is it simply too many probiotics? Thanks

Lori Jo Berg February 23, 2015 at 10:09 am

Hi Rachel, thanks for reaching out! Your body is going through many changes, including resetting the gut flora. It would be best for you to try it again at a later time or try using goats milk yogurt and see how you do with that.

Ashley July 13, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Hi – I have Crohn’s, and I take Humira…so I’ve been too nervous to eat the batches of yogurt I’ve made in my yogurt maker because they’re a little bit lumpy. Because my immune system is suppressed from the Humira, I have sort of an irrational fear that somehow I will ferment a bad bacteria and make myself sick. Is it ok for the yogurt to be a little bit lumpy? I use whole cow’s milk. Is it possible to make yourself really sick eating bad fermented yogurt? Thank you for posting such helpful Info.

Mariel Heiss July 15, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Hi Ashley!

Probiotic-use can go wrong. Steve and Jordan address that here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/08/scd-probiotics-what-you-really-need-to-know/ and especially here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/11/probiotics-for-inflammation-when-things-go-wrong-and-what-to-do-long-term/

We recommend you wait to introduce yogurt until you’ve experience some healing (usually 2-4 weeks into the diet) and then do so very slowly so you can monitor how you react! I hope this information helps 🙂

Tracy O January 5, 2016 at 12:38 am

My 16 year old son was diagnosed last year with celiac disease and has been unresponsive to a gluten free diet. His intestines are badly damaged and showing no sign of improvement so we are going to try the SCD diet. I am having some concerns about the yoghurt making process…it seems very technical! I looked for a yoghurt maker but can’t seem to find a suitable one…any suggestions? Thanks from a worried Mum 🙂

Mariel Heiss January 5, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Hi Tracy – your first batch might not turn out, but you CAN totally do it! (If Steve and Jordan can make yogurt, anyone can make yogurt!)

We recommend the YoGourmet yogurt maker – find it here: http://scdlifestyle.com/recommended-products/

We recommend the GI Pro Health Starter and they have tons of great yogurt-making tips on their site, too.

Here’s the link: http://www.giprohealth.com/makingyogurt-2.aspx

Richa May 24, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Hi

I’m thinking of starting SCD diet and doing some research on it.Suffering from UC from 15 years!!
I want to order or buy a yogurt maker but don’t have any idea.I live in Qatar and don’t see the brands mentioned on the websites for SCD.Can I buy a normal yogurt maker?Also am so intimidated by the whole process of yogurt making.I don’t know which yogurt to use as a starter.Some insight would be very helpful.

Richa

Mariel Heiss May 24, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Hi Richa – we explain the entire yogurt-making process step-by-step in our eBook: http://scdlifestylebook.com

You can use a lot of different methods as long as you do a 24-hour ferment.

Hope this helps!

Jeanne Wicks February 27, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Hi! I’ve been making the SCD yogurt for several years, & until recently, had been using pasteurized milk, as well as scalding the milk before making it. I’ve found a nearby raw, grass-fed dairy source & have been omitting the process of scalding the milk. I’m also fermenting it at around 110 degrees F to keep the yogurt within raw standards, but am also fermenting as long as 30 hrs. In keeping with a raw product, am I sacrificing any of the probiotic benefits?

Lori Jo Berg February 27, 2017 at 7:55 pm

HI Jeanne – I honestly haven’t seen any research on your question so I can’t say for sure. You can always go by how you feel after consuming the yogurt. Eventually, you’ll know if you are not getting the probiotics you need.

Marie May 10, 2017 at 4:26 am

Hello! I just made my first batch of almond milk yogurt, using the instructions from your book. I fermented it for 12 hours, and i think it worked, but there is water separating at the bottom of the glass container, and the thick part is at the top. Do i just whisk and mix it until it is combined again? And is it normal that some of the water separates when making almond milk, or what can i do to avoid that next time?

Lori Jo Berg May 10, 2017 at 4:47 pm

HI Marie – this is normal and also happens when you make yogurt with cow’s milk. Just mix it together or strain the water out for a thicker end product:)

Kimberly Webb May 24, 2017 at 7:31 am

Lori,
My new yogurt maker(Salton with 5 individual cups) is keeping the temp at 98-100 degrees. Is that ok? My 1 quart yogurt maker was getting too warm at 116, so I tried the dimmer switch that Steve suggested and it worked great. I just need to know if I should go back to the 1 quart.
Thanks, Kimberly

Lori Jo Berg May 25, 2017 at 8:18 am

Hi Kimberly – as long as it is coming out with a slight fermented taste and is well set it should be OK.. I’ve always tried to keep it more at 100 degrees so anything you can do to keep it in that range would be good:)

Marie June 3, 2017 at 6:07 am

I am wondering about the heating of the milk before making yogurt with it…

I only have access to pasteurised cow milk, and is the pasteurisation not enough to kill the bacteria before making the yogurt, when i open a fresh package? Is the additional heating to 180° still necessary for pasteurised milk?

If so, is there a way to know how much to heat the milk without having a thermometer?

Thank you!

Lori Jo Berg June 5, 2017 at 11:29 pm

Hi Marie – great question and here is an interesting article explaining it: http://www.nwedible.com/do-you-need-to-heat-milk-for-yogurt-making/

allicia September 28, 2017 at 7:41 pm

Im just on the first few days of stage 1 and my biggest problem is bloating and constipation so I really want to get started with the yogurt as soon as possible. How long should I wait until introducing homemade almond milk yogurt? As i know nut milks are to be introduced at the end of stage 1 after a few weeks?

thanks!

Lori Jo Berg September 29, 2017 at 1:41 pm

Hi Alicia – Yogurt is to be introduced when your symptoms have calmed down and you have had some time to heal. There is no specific time, but we do recommend around the 4th week of the diet, as we want to introduce the healthy bacteria as early as your body will allow.

allicia September 29, 2017 at 2:31 pm