The SCD Diet and Your Teeth? Yes, Let Your Dentist Know!

When I started the SCD Diet, I just happened to have my regular teeth cleaning scheduled right around 2 months in. I practice relatively good oral hygiene and floss regularly, so I was shocked when my dental hygienist was interrogating me about the excessive plaque build up on my teeth. She had the impression I was barely brushing!

We finally came to a realization together, when she asked if I had changed my eating habits at all recently and I explained the SCD Diet to her.

As it turns out, the process of chewing crunchy, hard foods actually helps to clean and remove plaque from your teeth.

The beginning stages of the SCD Diet call for all “crunchy” fruits and veggies to be peeled, cooked, and pureed into a very digestible sauce. Unfortunately, that cooking and pureeing process removes the food’s natural ability to help clean your teeth and leaves behind excess amounts of plaque. Keep that in mind as you move through the phases of the SCD Diet.

It is important to floss after every meal (if possible), and, depending on your financial situation, schedule 3-month cleanings to help prevent excessive plaque build up in your mouth… until you advance to raw fruits and veggies in phase 5.

Key point: Explain the Specific Carbohydrate Diet to your dentist, so that they can help you properly care for your teeth… until you advance into the phases of the diet with foods that naturally clean your teeth while chewing.

Below, is an article explaining what foods naturally clean your teeth during the chewing process. Until now, it was something that I took for granted and didn’t even realize was going on!

Bottom Line: Your dentist is another doctor that you will need to bring into your SCD Diet support group.

Foods That Naturally Whiten Your Teeth

-Jordan

Jana May 21, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I am concerned about the polish and flouride gel used in teeth cleaning. I have been symptom free for a week and not even 30 minutes after my cleaning I now have symptoms… I could taste the sweetness of the stuff they were using, I haven’t had much success tracking down the ingredients though. Any thoughts?

Jordan Reasoner June 16, 2011 at 9:00 am

@ Jana.

I’ve used Arm and Hammer original Baking Soda because it has the least amount of chemical ingredients like Glycerine. But I did experiment with making my own “SCD toothpaste” using this recipe:

Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with 1/4 tsp of hydrogen peroxide w/ a drop of peppermint oil.

Let us know how it goes!

Reid Kimball May 27, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Since going on SCD since 2004, I haven’t had any cavities as I recall. Before SCD, I always had them.

Jordan Reasoner June 2, 2012 at 4:02 am

Awesome Reid!

I just hit 3 years no cavities, first time in my life!

Reid Kimball May 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm
Jordan Reasoner June 2, 2012 at 4:02 am

Thanks man, can’t seem to find the post anymore… guess it’s too “outdated” ha-ha.

Crista January 29, 2013 at 11:44 am

Hi,
I am a dentist and I have been following the SCD Diet for 11 months with great success. I do have to say that I have not noticed any change in the oral flora or plaque/calculus levels in my mouth, but I am a diligent flosser and brusher so that may be part of it. I do believe however that the gut and the mouth are both affected by the rebalancing of the microbiome and that it is possible that this could reduce the pathogenesis of the oral microflora, or rebalance the bacteria levels in the mouth from all the probiotics we consume orally. No matter what it is always a good idea to let your dentist know if you are having gut issues-we are trained to discuss nutrition and have always taken a low/no sugar diet as the first line of defence towards oral diseases.
Crista

L.S. November 3, 2017 at 8:14 am

Thank you for your post.

Miia January 29, 2013 at 6:44 pm

To mix baking soda and salt makes for a good homemade cleanser. But I avoid to use it more than once or twice a week since it’s quite strong.

Jen January 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I just went for a cleaning two weeks ago, had a lot of plaque, but no cavities, on the diet 9 months. Had them skip the rinse and the toothpaste, so basically just the exam and all the scraping. All the pastes and rinses have artificial sweeteners and “natural flavors”, which could be so many things, like gluten, that would trigger multiple reactions. The dental assistant I had was irritated with me, but the dentist himself was very interested, and I even sent him some no-grain recipes because he asked for them. It’s cool when a dreaded experience turns into sharing knowledge.

Bet January 30, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Anyone who has a lot of plaque build up should try J&J Reach Total Care floss. It’s more of a tape than a string. It has little ridges on the tape that help scrape the tartar off your teeth. I get glowing reports from my hygienist since using it.

Kate August 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm

This is all very interesting! And some really useful comments from people here so thanks for those 🙂 I went for my annual dentist appointment the other week, I wasn’t feeling all that great and I am wary of all the “chemicals and nasties” they use in their products but I had to bite the bullet and go…both my dentist and hygienist were giving me a hard time over my increased plaque and basically accusing me of not brushing properly! My parents both smoke 20+ cigarettes everyday, drink tons of coffee/tea, don’t brush their teeth that regularly and have a poor diet (standard Western diet) and I’m living “healthily”, YET I’m the one who gets the hard time at the dentist?! Admittedly I don’t have any fillings and they do! But in terms of plaque build-up…well this all makes sense now as I’m living off pureed veg and not eating anything raw or “crunchy”…I guess that’s why babies eat pureed food and liquid…because they have no teeth! 🙂

Another thing worth mentioning, for those that are taking it as a digestive aid or supplement, Apple Cider Vinegar! I started taking a couple of Tbsps before meals when I started SCD a few months ago. I didn’t think to realise that it’s actually very acidic and not great for the tooth enamel (mine is already pretty thin after growing up living off fruit juices). After my Dentist again went through the list of possible tooth erosion culprits (red wine, fruit juice, sugar etc…none of which I consume), he mentioned vinegar and then I realised I’d been swigging a lot of AC Vin to aid digestion, but hadn’t thought about the impact on my teeth!

And I just thought that all of his questions about my health was him being nosey or making small talk! (he used to be my childhood dentist and then I’ve spent the past decade living elsewhere so I thought he was just catching up on things!).

You don’t think about things like teeth when starting out on a new diet, but I’m definitely going to try to reduce my plaque and keep my tooth enamel!

As somebody mentioned above (I think a dentist), the gut-mouth connection is strong. Weakened tooth enamel like I have, is not only from drinking a lot of fruit juice as a child, but also after a decade of ill-health. I know a lot of people with long-term chronic illness who also have poor tooth enamel, despite trying to look after their teeth well. Also the gut flora impacts the mouth/throat flora so until your gut is sorted out, then there’s no doubt that the mouth is going to be impacted in some way. I have always seen the link with “tongue health” (Chinese & Eastern medicine see the tongue as a mirror to the rest of the body) but never really thought about the rest of the mouth – teeth, gums etc. It’s all very interesting really.