4 Quick and Natural Heartburn Remedies

heartburn-man-holding-chest

That sharp, burning pain… it shoots through your chest… it rises up your throat.

Is it Cancer? A heart attack? Nope, it’s heartburn.

Acid reflux and heartburn are an extremely common problem, 60% of adults in the U.S. will suffer this year alone. I used to be part of that statistic, I used to have that nasty taste in my mouth and constant burning in my throat.

I struggled for years with these pains. They always seemed to strike at the most inopportune times like right before job interviews, at family dinners, and on dates.

So, naturally the first thing I wanted is relief. But what kind… the natural, non-toxic kind? The prescription drug kind? The over-the-counter kind?

I don’t know if you can relate but I hated carrying Tums in my car, having them in my desk drawer and my medicine cabinet. And the last thing I wanted was to be stuck on PPIs.

So, I researched, tested and started using the following 4 very safe and natural methods. However, I think it’s worth mentioning why they actually work. I find that most people I talk with actually need to know WHY things work, before they actually stick to using them.

Why Do These Natural Methods Work?

The natural methods presented here are, in my opinion, actually better for you than PPIs, H2 blockers, or Antacids because most of them actually support your body in working properly. The unnatural options above actually stop your body from doing it’s job and contribute to ill health.

What do I mean? Well, acid reflux typically happens after eating right? Sometimes it happens right away or hours later when you lay down to sleep.

Why?

Most people think it has to do with too much acid… but turns out that’s a lie we’ve all been sold for a LONG time… and it’s the same lie that keeps us stuck on drugs to keep the symptoms at bay.

It’s Extremely RARE to Have High Acid Levels!

And yet tv ads, friends and even doctors tell us, “You have too much acid, so you need to stop all that acid production.”

They are making assumptions about the pain, rather than taking the time to think about the physiology of the body. Even if you had too much acid, it wouldn’t mean that you’d have reflux.

Jumping to conclusions like this is actually a big deal! Besides wasting your money, as I explained here, acid suppressing options could be making you even sicker.

You are probably thinking, “So you’re telling me you’re smarter than my doctor?” Who knows, but I’ve researched this topic for a long time and healed my own issues. What I am saying is that there are doctors out there, like Dr. Jonathan Wright, MD, who’ve spent a good portion of their lives understanding this issue and writing books on it. In this 10-minute video he explains…

“And we do the [stomach acid] tests exactly according to the specifications. What we find 99% of the time is when people have those symptoms [acid reflux, heartburn, GERD] there isn’t enough acid down there [in the stomach].”

What’s happening is that you have low stomach acid levels and the food you are eating is sitting around fermenting in your stomach. The by-products of fermentation are gases, which increase pressure inside the stomach and the easiest way for them to escape is up — right into your esophagus.

Now, the acid is in your esophagus burning it, causing tissue damage and sometimes even getting into your mouth.

For more on stomach acid tests, read this.

Instead of Taking More Drugs, Here Are 4 Natural Heartburn Remedies I’ve Used

Of course there’s no replacing working with your doctor and getting some tests done to actually figure out your acid levels and make sure that structurally your stomach and esophagus are working correctly.

But, let’s be honest, when the pain of heartburn strikes, we need a solution quickly. The first 3 remedies below are designed to support your body in digesting food. They will help increase the strength of the stomach acid and reduce the pressure in the stomach. I suggest you try these first. And if all else fails, if you’re in extreme pain, then I included the last option as a safe and non-toxic way to temporarily lower your acid levels.

#1 – Apple Cider Vinegar

Bragg-Apple-Cider-Vinegar

Vinegar is an acid with a pH of around 5. Therefore it helps with heartburn by lowering the pH (making it more acidic) of the stomach contents to improve digestion and reduce the pressure build up we’re looking to avoid.

The pH of your entire stomach contents should be around 1-2 for proper digestion. Remember, this is a good thing, we want the acid levels stronger so that the food doesn’t ferment in your stomach.

Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is the best vinegar choice, in my opinion. Because, when you get an unfiltered brand like Bragg’s you’ll get the added benefits of the probiotics it contains.

So, you can help your health and many times get rid of heartburn. The ACV trick for heartburn is used by many people. While there’s no research to back it up, there’s also not really a downside to using it. Here’s how to do it:

Add 2 tsp of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar to ¼ cup of water and drink. Repeat every 5 minutes until heartburn subsides.

Many people will even take a shot of it before meals to pre-empt the acid reflux.

#2 – Lemon Juice

lemons-on-cutting-board

Lemon juice has a pH of around 2, making it an acid stronger than vinegar. It also contains an added boost in lots of nutrients, especially vitamin C. So, not only can it help with heartburn, but it contains more nutrients than ACV and therefore makes a great choice when in pain.

However, just like the ACV remedy, the first dose might not be enough. And you may end up drinking 2 or more glasses of lemon juice, which can be not only annoying but hard.

It’s still worth a shot. Here’s how to do it:

Juice one organic lemon into a glass. If you can drink it straight, do it. Otherwise, add in ¼ cup of water and take like a shot.

Due to the organic lemon juice being so acidic, some people worry it might harm the enamel on our teeth. Unless you’re doing this daily, I don’t see it being a big issue. And, let’s be honest, if you need daily heartburn relief you really need the help at the very bottom of this post.

#3 – Betaine HCL

Thorne-Betaine-HCl-225-caps-veg

Hydrochloric Acid (HCL) is the main component of stomach acid. It’s secreted from cells in the lining of your stomach in response to eating and drinking. And due to stress, nutrient deficiencies, getting older, infections and other things the stomach can stop making enough.

This then leads to the fermentation of food and heartburn pains.

This is, in my opinion, the best natural remedy to help anyone with acid reflux. This is how I got rid of my pain — before I fixed my root causes.

It’s best to use Betaine HCL ahead of time. In other words, you can use this supplement on a daily basis to help your stomach work properly and NEVER have heartburn again.

IMPORTANT: Betaine HCL supplementation is not an option for anyone currently taking H2 blockers, PPIs, or long-term use of NSAIDs. I wrote a whole article here that explains more risks, how to do it step-by-step and benefits. You’ll need to work with a practitioner to wean off of these drugs before testing out Betaine HCL as a solution.

Read this article for in-depth info on Betaine HCL.

The summary of this is: Betaine HCL is basically replacement acid for what’s missing in your stomach. It’s natural in the sense that it’s the exact chemical that your body makes.  So, we’re just supplementing more of this chemical that your body actually needs.

If you’ve followed the directions in the article above and you have heartburn after a meal, you can take an extra Betaine HCL as soon as you feel it. Then, wait 20 minutes or so. If the pain is still there, try another pill.

If it’s still there, then it’s probably time to calm down the acid in your esophagus using the only natural remedy I approve of that lowers acid levels.

#4 – Baking Soda (Last Resort)

Arm-Hammer-Pure-Baking-Soda

Baking soda is the home remedy for almost everything. And yes it can offer fast relief from heartburn as well. Baking soda is a base not an acid, meaning that drinking some of it will neutralize acid in your stomach or esophagus.

It’s non-toxic and actually can be helpful for some people as a supplement as it allows athletes to train harder and longer.

It’s not my preferred way of dealing with acid reflux, as it lowers acid levels. But in those extreme situations, where none of the above options have worked, it’s the perfect solution.

How to do it:

Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in ¼ cup of water. Drink it. Wait 5-7 minutes. If you still have pain, repeat until burning is gone.

Here’s the thing, if you actually fix the root issue causing your acid reflux, you can stop thinking about taking antacids or at-home remedies. You can get on with your life and enjoy better health.

Say Goodbye to Heartburn and Acid Reflux Forever

If you want to actually handle this annoying and serious health problem, the good news is that it’s not only possible but 1000s have already done it before you…

Meaning you can do it too!

All you need to do is figure out the root cause issues behind why your stomach acid isn’t working properly, fix them, repair any damage that’s been caused by low acid levels, and you can get on with your life.

And no, it’s not too good to be true. I’ve done it myself, and many of my 1-on-1 clients have also done it. Now it’s time to teach everyone how to do it themselves.

Come learn how to get rid of heartburn for good here:

For less than the price of a meal, or your monthly cost for those antacids, we can help you get rid of this issue and on with your life. Grab this presentation here.

-Steve

Laurie April 27, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I understand your perspective on acid levels and reflux when it is the result of a functional digestive issue but what about when it involves a mechanical problem. If the individual has a hiatal hernia or a problem with bile reflux due to a valve problem, do you recommend the same treatment?

Lori Jo Berg April 29, 2015 at 9:37 am

Hi Laurie, thanks for reaching out. NO matter the issues we are experiencing, it is important that our HCL levels are at the proper PH for optiomal digestion. This is not only important for heartburn, but this allows us to actually absorb nutrients within our food as well, which in turn affects the entire body. WE would suggest taking the same approach and as always, consult your physician about any concerns you may have.

susan murphy April 27, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I have a spastic esophagus and had a balloon dilation to break the lower esophageal sphincter back in 2007. I was able to swallow my food well for about four years and then it started to spasm to the point I could not swallow again. My doctor had me start taking omeprazole to ward off the spasms. I have essentially been on it ever since because each time I try to wean off of them I get an esophageal ulcer (no barrier between stomach acid and lower esophagus) and the spasms make it impossible to eat. I have tried natural remedies but none have worked. My doctors say that natural remedies will not work because of the fact that I am dealing with no barrier between stomach and esophagus and acid will always be a problem. Thoughts?

Lori Jo Berg April 27, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Hi Susan, we suggest getting a second opinion perhaps from a functional medicine doctor that you trust. If you do not have one, you can search here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

julie brundies April 27, 2015 at 8:15 pm

i have tried the vinegar, it burned like crazy going down, i have tried drinking lemon water juice in the morning, and that gives me heartburn after drinking it. maybe i should try the betaine hcl. i dont take acid reflux drugs of any sort. i usually do the baking soda, that seems to do a good job.

Lori Jo Berg April 29, 2015 at 9:35 am

HI Julie, yes please go ahead and test your HCl levels here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

How and what Betaine HCL to supplement with: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/

Kelyrra April 28, 2015 at 10:23 am

I love papaya for indigestion and/or heartburn. Papain is a wonderful, natural digestive enzyme found in papaya. Helped me through three pregnancies!

Mary Cate April 29, 2015 at 11:02 am

My FAVORITE remedy is the apple cider vinegar. I mix 1-2 tbsp. with hot water and add honey for flavor (very necessary). I’ve become so accustomed to it, it’s my new tea. It helps my stomach almost immediately, and almost every time. Whether it’s upset due to an accidental dairy or gluten intake, too much to drink the night before, or just a normal day full of diarrhea, it’s a lifesaver. What I love most about it though, is when it makes your stomach feel better, your body feels energy again. I used to chew Pepto Bismol all day long, and after a while just the taste of it makes you want to vomit. I would recommend apple cider vinegar to anyone. At the moment I just buy any brand that’s on sale or the cheapest, and now I’m curious to try an unfiltered, organic mix. Reading that it has probiotics just blew my mind – that’s like getting 2 birds stoned at once! As always, thanks for the article!

Ram April 30, 2015 at 2:38 am

i am suffering from GERD for past 5 months. Am just 26. Is it due to low acid production or due to High acid production? i am taking ppi for 2 months. Kindly advice.

Lori Jo Berg April 30, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Hi Ram, it is our experience (and is supported by research) that most who suffer form GERD have low stomach acid. Please read the following 2 articles to assist you with this issue: About low stomach acid: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

ramkumar April 30, 2015 at 11:08 am

I am suffering from GERD for past 5 months. I am just 26. I am having PPI for past 3 months. Even for my age group also GERD is due to low acid production? kindly Clarify.

I am having clogged ear along with this. My Ent sad everything is perfect, there is nothing wrong in my ear and nose. Kindly help me.

Lori Jo Berg April 30, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Hi, yes, even for your age group low stomach acid can be the culprit. We suggest testing your HCL levels here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/ and using this article as a guide to supplement: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/

chris June 6, 2015 at 6:19 am

I was wondering if my 4 year old could be dealing with GERD, as she sometimes vomits clear phlem and sometime food, while laying in bed or after a late meal. She was on prophylactic antibiotics for years. I just got Elaines book, elevated the head of her bed, and ordered the started/yogurt maker. Would the betadine be too much for her, as I would have to break open a capsule as she cannot swallow pills yet? Any specific recommendations?

Lori Jo Berg June 7, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Hi Chris, thanks for reaching out about your daughter. We highly encourage you to speak with a trusted medical practitioner regarding your daughters symptoms, as can not give medical advice. If you are in need of one, you can search here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/ One thing you can do, however, is address her diet. You can implement some of the SCD diet principles and start to pay attention to how she reacts to foods, as this would be a great starting point for her.

Amie July 3, 2015 at 4:45 am

Hi, the medication I was taking caused my acid reflux. Ive tried ppi’s & zantac, both didn’t work. I’ve had camera down & all clear. I am now tab free, my throat, stomach & chest feels inflammed & sore. Hurts to talk. I also get a salty taste. Would I be low in stomach acid ? Which natural products or supplements do u recommend? I manage to sleep all night & not in pain. Just burning, inflammation & soreness. At the moment I’m just trying manuka honey. Please advise as it’s making my life a misery.

Mariel Heiss July 3, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Hi Amie. Based on our experience, many people with heartburn have low stomach acid. This article gives 3 methods for testing your stomach acid levels: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/ I also recommend you check out Steve and Jordan’s heartburn presentation. You can learn more here: http://heartburnhelp.scdlifestyle.com/?_ga=1.34029729.180204042.1433519852

Luis August 4, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Can turmeric be effective ?
Also I heard Cayenne Pepper is Good for Digestive problems.
And Systemic Enzymes.
Please advise .

Mariel Heiss August 5, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Hey Luis, thanks for your comment!

We do recommend turmeric for inflammation and digestive enzymes. You can find our recommended products here: http://scdlifestyle.com/recommended-products/

Jordan and Steve have been spending a lot of time lately focused on how to treat heartburn from all angles – diet, lifestyle, and supplements. They’ve put everything into a heartburn presentation you can check out here: http://heartburnhelp.scdlifestyle.com

Jacob Whittington December 10, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GRED) is a chronic digestive disease. The esophagus is about 8 inches long and connects the throat (pharynx), to the stomach. The esophagus contains two sphincters (valves). The upper esophageal sphincter are under conscious control. The lower esophageal sphincter is controlled by the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system.
Reflux occurs, when gastric juices from the stomach are forced back into the oesophagus and up into the throat. This usually happens when a peristaltic squeeze occurs. Everyone, at some point in time, will experience occasional gastric reflux. If reflux symptoms occur two or three times a week, or if it interferes with your daily life, it needs to corrected.
There are several reason reflux including.
• Diet and Lifestyle (fast foods, foods with high fat contents)
• Eating before going to sleep
• Scar tissue on the lower sphincter (prevents compete closing)
• Ulcers on the sphincter
• Lack of Gastrin
• Birth defect
• Pregnancy (excessive stomach pressure)
• Excessively large bolus of food (damages sphincter)
Gastric fluids, with, or without, the presences of Hydrochloric acid (HCL) is very bitter to the taste. When this very bitter fluid entering the throat, many people assume they are over producing acid. The symptoms associated with reflux, are identical in people that are over producing acid (Hyperchlorhydria), and people that are not producing enough acid (Hypochlorhydria). Hypochlorhydria and Hyperchlorhydria, will cause reflux, abdominal pain, belching, bloating, gas, flatulence, nausea, diarrhea and/or constipation.
It is virtually impossible, for a doctor to make an accurate diagnosis of reflux, without a pH diagnostic test, because the symptoms associated with Hypochlorhydria and Hyperchlorhydria are identical. Many doctors assume that the patient is producing too much acid, when in fact, the opposite is true. This misdiagnosis, usually results in the patient being prescribed a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI), or acid reducing medication. When a person that is not producing enough acid, is place on a PPI, he/she will develop Achlorhydria. Achlorhydria is the complete absence of hydrochloric acid in the gastric juices.
People with low stomach acid that are placed on PPIs, will not digest their food properly, or receive the full benefit from the nutrients, supplements, and medication, they consume. Hydrochloric acid breaks down the nutrients consume into a thick semi-fluid mass called chyme. Proteins are broken down by the Peptic enzymes into peptones. Peptones are the building blocks for the Amino acids. Amino acids are necessary for sustaining life.
Pepsin is most active in the conversion of proteins into micro-minerals, when the pH of the hydrochloric acid, in the stomach, is at 1.0 to 1.3. pH. When the strength of the acid decreases, the Peptic enzymes become less active, in the conversion of proteins. At pH 5.0, the Peptic enzymes are completely inactive, in the conversion process. Low stomach acid, will allow raw unsterilized and unconverted nutrients to dump into the small bowel. When this occurs, there is reduced absorption of the necessary vitamins, minerals and micro-nutrients, necessary to support the immune system, and keep the body health. This condition also allows bacteria and other pathogens to enter the small bowel.
If a person is actually over producing acid, the correct natural medication, should be one that mimics the normal physiologic buffering that occurs in the digestive process. The normal physiologic buffering that occurs in the digestive process is a 2 to 1 ratio of Sodium Bicarbonate to Potassium Bicarbonate. A Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI), should only be used on a short term basis, to allow healing of damaged tissue.
Long term use of PPIs, have been connected to bone fracture and other serious conditions.
Before taking any type of medication for a digestive disorder, ask your doctor to give you a pH Diagnostic test, pH Capsule Test, or gastrogram, to determine the condition of your digestive process.

Mal November 25, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Beautifully written, Jacob. Thank you

Amitav July 19, 2016 at 11:03 am

Very informative and useful resource for anyone suffering from heartburn or acid reflux issues. I have been also a chronic sufferer since quite a long time. I never preferred any over-the-counter medications as it provides you with a temporary relief. It never takes care of the root cause, due to which the problem keeps re-occurring again and again.
The best natural remedies that has worked for me very well are Turmeric with honey, Cold milk with a pinch of sugar, lots of water intake and a good yoga routine. This has helped me a lot and now I am quite relieved of the burning sensation in my chest.
Thanks for the great piece of article BTW! 🙂

Amy July 26, 2016 at 9:41 am

I have been using ACV for 20 years and I love the results. Once in a while, it’s not enough for me. Then I take 1 tsp Redmond Clay mixed in a glass of water. it works great to calm my esophagus!

Denise July 26, 2016 at 1:21 pm

L-Glutamine powder dissolved in water also provides relief. It can be taken once to several times per day. I was expecting to see it on your list since you have promoted L-Glutamine before. It has nearly no taste.

Mike S. July 26, 2016 at 7:27 pm

My family’s natural remedy to quickly eliminate the pain is a few activated charcoal tabs followed by a half glass of water with 6-7 drops of pepermint extract added to the water. It really works quickly and the pepermint is very soothing.

jamie July 26, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I have Addison’s disease and take steroid everyday which are eating my stomach. I think I read somewhere that I can not take HCL supplements due to my steroids. Is there something else I can take instead to help produce more acid?

Mariel Heiss July 27, 2016 at 4:37 pm

Hey Jamie – you’re correct that you shouldn’t use HCL if you’re taking steroids. Before you start any supplement, we’d suggest you talk with your doctor. Some other good options are digestive bitters or taking a small amount of lemon juice of apple cider vinegar with meals

Jaclyn July 27, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I have heard this before from your podcast with Chris Kresser, and I have seen these methods work for others. I personally have very limited experience with heart burn, perhaps 4 times in my life. However, that has all changed now that I am pregnant. I get some acid reflux a few times a week. I have been taking Rolaids for this because I wasn’t sure if the mechanism for acid issues during the pregnancy was the same. Do you know?

Mariel Heiss July 27, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Hi Jaclyn – we encourage you to give these methods a try and see if they help.

Yuri Hudson July 28, 2016 at 12:16 pm

Hi what do i do if acid reflux is bothering my throat?Sometimes i eat at certain times.I hate it!!What do i doo??

Yuri Hudson July 28, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Im also 14

Mariel Heiss July 28, 2016 at 4:16 pm

Hey Yuri – thanks for reaching out! We suggest you talk over giving these remedies a try with your parents and your doctor

Chris Bielecki August 3, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Drink an aloe drink or buy aloe pills. Its the only thing that worked for me. The aloe drink taste good too.

Rasa July 28, 2016 at 3:46 pm

I had digestive problems almost all my life,since i was little,I could not digest fats,after eating meals i was burping,it was feeling like food just sitting there,i had bad stomach pains ,bloading,constipation,my gastroenterologist told me to take Mirolax,take purple pill,nothing helpted,I didn’t want to take pills because it was no releave and they depleting your body from minerals like magnesium,after 40 things get even worse,my heart start beating fast i was short in breath ,i went to doctor shesaid im not having heart attack,then she said here is pills for depression,very strong she mentioned,i left her office never bought pills for depression and never went to that doctor again,first i change my diet,second i found natural medicine doctor who using kinesiology method to find root couse of your problems,so he told me i have low stomach acid,i start taking Betaine HCL,together with digestive enzymes,i drinking lemon water every morning,im eating fruit and vegetables,i making my own kefir,I don’t have pain no more,im regular every day,so with my efforts to help myself and help of my doctor i dont have acid reflux no more,thanks god i found him,if i would listen to my gastroenterologist i would really be depressed by now

Chris Bielecki August 3, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Drink pure aloe. It’s amazing and doesn’t taste bad. I was on prescription medication for my heart burn for a year and prescriptions dont cure heart burn or gerd, it just passifies it. Drink an aloe drink or take aloe pills. A couple of sips a day. It’s cheap too. I tried everything, cider vinager, eating apples, organic bone broth and changing my diet and exercise. None of that worked. The only thing that worked was the aloe.
Hope this helps everyone.

Fiona from Australia August 19, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Thank you had it all day so badly had quarter bottle gaviscon half a cow of milk couldn’t shake it. Tried the soda and done its gone almost instantly almost made me barf but i got it down and feeling so much better it’s 2.26am I’m almost too scared to let back down. But wanted to say thank you

Mariel Heiss August 22, 2016 at 4:29 pm

We’re so glad this helped Fiona!

Here’s how to stop your heartburn from coming back: http://heartburnhelp.scdlifestyle.com/

Angela August 28, 2016 at 12:36 am

Hello,
Is it ok to take hcl in the presence of esophagitis /erosion?

Mariel Heiss August 29, 2016 at 6:51 pm

Hi Angela – we recommend you talk with your doctor before giving it a try with esophagitis.

Leila Blue August 29, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Experiencing what I believe is heartburn and am menopausal. Please help?

Mariel Heiss August 29, 2016 at 6:34 pm

Hi Elila – please check out our heartburn help program here: http://heartburnhelp.scdlifestyle.com/

Darlene B. Davis September 23, 2016 at 2:46 pm

My 17yo son was just diagnosed with acid reflux and has been put on prescription pills. He said he thinks the pills are giving him a belly full of gas along with pain which he didn’t have before. He symptoms of only the sudden urge to vomit whenever hed start to eat something. It’s hard for a 12th grader to carry around a bottle of pills to take before he eats. I’m going to try these remedied because the side effects are terrible and he’s so young I don’t want him to be.stuck on any meds if he doesn’t have to. Can you get rid of acid reflux permanently?

Mariel Heiss September 23, 2016 at 5:09 pm

Hi Darlene – yes, you can. I suggest you check out our Heartburn Help program for your son – it has natural cures for lasting relief: http://heartburnhelp.scdlifestyle.com/

Ibrar September 28, 2016 at 4:09 am

Hi I’ve been suffering from gastritis for for 10 years and it’s just getting worse my hands and feet burn with a tingling feeling all the time I get really bad chest pains and head feels like it’s gonna explode please help. Thanks

Mariel Heiss September 28, 2016 at 12:06 pm

Hi Ibra – I’m really sorry to hear that. I recommend you check out our Heartburn help program – we cover how to heal gastritis and get your stomach working properly again! http://heartburnhelp.scdlifestyle.com/

DR October 29, 2016 at 5:03 am

Something that has worked for me on several occasions is eating a few fresh spinach leaves. It has worked every time almost instantly. So save your money that you would have spent on antacids or other more harmful prescription drugs and give this a try.

Lita November 1, 2016 at 10:49 pm

I have been suffering from acid reflux for 25 years now I have Barrett’s I take prescription pills every day and it’s not helping I don’t know what to do

Mariel Heiss November 2, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Hi Lita – I’m so sorry you’re still struggling. I really encourage you to check out Steve and Jordan’s heartburn program: http://heartburnhelp.scdlifestyle.com/

Stephanie November 2, 2016 at 4:10 pm

I’ve had acid reflex for the past week I’m trying to figure out which one to use I’ve been experiencing vomiting and I’m about done with it any suggestions?

Lori Jo Berg November 3, 2016 at 12:09 am

Sorry to hear you’re suffering, Stephanie! Apple cider vinegar is a great choice to start with and then we’d suggest moving to the HCL

Christine November 27, 2016 at 9:17 pm

I came across your site the other day after being totally frustrated by being put on another set of “let’s try these” prescriptions… I was diagnosed with silent reflux a few months ago – primary symptom being what seems like a never ending post nasal drip issue, occasionally I’ll have a sore throat or lose my voice, but that’s rare. I was put on omeprazole, but it has failed to do much. Barium swallow confirmed reflux, but the ENT wanted to get a CT to see if there was a sinus issue that was perhaps inhibiting progress of the omeprazole. Insurance didn’t love that idea and wanted a series of antibiotics and Flonase before I went that route.

On Day 4 of all that crud – I could barely function at work with frequent nausea and a constant burning/”zinging” in my nose (this actually had me up most of the previous night as well). I actually started feeling the heartburn pain, which I’ve never had with the silent reflux. After I made it home I used the ACV and relief was nearly immediate. Quit the omeprazole and Flonase right then and there and have been feeling a lot better, though it’s only been about 6 days. Nose is still a bit sesitive, but quite honestly, I feel like the post nasal drip is starting to lessen (who knows? Maybe the antibiotic helped too? I won’t discount it). I’ve been taking 1TBSP ACV in 8oz water each morning before breakfast, but since you don’t suggest it for long term use, would the Betaine HCL work well for the silent reflux issue as well? I truly don’t understand what causes the difference between the two types of reflux.

And the more important inquiry… so have I been avoiding all of these fantastically awesome foods for no good reason!!?!? (Tomatoes, grapefruit, chocolate… Okay, maybe i haven’t been 100% avoiding the last one, but I have severely cut down on it! that’s for sure!)

Lori Jo Berg November 28, 2016 at 9:56 am

Hi Christine – great to hear your story. Although Laryngopharyngeal reflux or silent reflux present’s a bit different than GERD, the same mechanisms are involved. The LES or shpincter that joins the esophagus and stomach is malfunctioning. The treatment is the same in that we change the diet and test for low HCL. We do suggest supplementing with betaine if necessary and you can find all that information here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

Nicole collis November 28, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I think I have acid reflux.. the feeling of something stuck in my throat.. burping after eating or drinking.. pain in my throat for no reason.. i don’t have heartburn at all just the feeling of food going down my throats when I eat.. not pain just a sensation…my stomach feels bloated when I eat but it’s more like a hollow feeling like when I’m hungry… I haven’t tried any of the home remedies yet but I’m definitely going to… think I’m just looking for some advice as this is a very recent thing and I’m not quite sure what to do… thank you..

Lori Jo Berg November 29, 2016 at 11:15 am

Hi Nicole, thanks for reaching out! It sounds like you might have silent reflux instead of GERD. We’d suggest trying the home remedies and changing your diet to get to the root of the issue. You can start here with our Free Quick start Guide: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Luana M Leger December 5, 2016 at 2:27 am

HELP. I have had acid reflux for too darn long now. I have taken both prescribed as well as OTC meds for it with no relief in site. I read here and in several sites to eliminate any thing that causes it. Well that is 100% difficult for me to do as even a glass of water gives me the acid reflux. I am tired of having it & don’t know what to do any more. I am even sick of sleeping in a sitting position. My question is @. What else can I take as everything seems to be a band-aid & 2 is there any way that my asthma is what is causing all the problems?

Lori Jo Berg December 6, 2016 at 9:55 am

Hi Luana – sorry to hear you’re suffering. It sounds like you have some underlying issues going on and addressing your diet is going to be important here. We would suggest by starting here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/ You can then try some of the natural remedies and work with your doctor to taper off the medications. At some point, trying the HCL (start out small) would be good. If that is too much for you at this point, you may consider some digestive bitters and slippery elm to heal the inflamed stomach lining.