Troubleshooting: The Difference Between Staying Sick and Healing

Blackboard and 'Plan - Do - Check - Act' concept

One of the most common questions we get from people every day is about being “stuck” on their diet.

They’ve changed their diet to improve their stomach problems, and maybe they feel a little better, but they still don’t feel as good as they should.

Whether the diet is SCD, GAPS, Paleo, or WAPF…

Their emails typically go something like this:

“Hey Jordan and Steve, 40 days ago I started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet using your book and at first I felt amazing! I finally had my first formed stool in years, but since the first week or so I’m still getting horrible stomach pain and bloating after meals and I still have loose stools 3-4 times a day. The diet doesn’t seem to be working anymore. I’m only eating beef, pureed carrots, chicken soup, applesauce, and winter squash. I’m going insane eating like this! Can you help?”

Can you relate to this email?

Do you feel like the diet isn’t working for you anymore?

Are you frustrated because you’re only eating a few foods and still not feeling better? Do you feel “stuck” and ready to give up?

If so, there are 5 primary troubleshooting tips that could help you get “unstuck” and feeling like the diet is working again.

Troubleshooting is all about becoming your own “Health Engineer” and beginning to test and tweak your way out of this to get control of your symptoms. Troubleshooting is the difference between those people that heal and those people that never get better.

These are some of our best troubleshooting tips to get you started.

1) Stomach Acid is Your Friend…

Are you even digesting your food?

If you have a lot of gas, bloating, reflux, diarrhea, and constipation… or undigested food in your stool, you need to watch this video.

It’s all about how stomach acid works… and why it really is good for you. In fact, I would argue that proper stomach acid levels are the key to great digestion.

Most of Us Don’t Have Enough Stomach Acid

One of the most frustrating things we see is when people switch to a real food diet like SCD, Paleo, WAPF, or GAPS and they feel worse! Or they spend all this time and money to eat healthy anti-inflammatory food and they aren’t even digesting it well.

In this video, I share the 4 triggers for good stomach acid secretion. I also cover 2 really important supplements to help you digest your food properly.

Having proper stomach acid levels is vital for digestion, and if this isn’t right, the rest of the digestive process can get totally screwed up.

Fixing this was one of the biggest health breakthroughs on my journey to becoming symptom-free and I hope this video supports something similar for you.

2) You Might Need Digestive Enzymes (and How to Take Them)

Digestive Enzymes are right for you if…

You’re someone dealing with:

• Low grade inflammation
  • Intestinal damage
  • An “oily toilet” (you’ll know what that means)
  • Gas and bloating
  • Diarrhea/Constipation
  • And undigested food in your stools

In this video, I share 3 digestive enzyme brands we personally recommend and also how to properly introduce them to avoid ‘The Stomach Ache of Death.’

3) Dairy is Probably Not Helping…

We get a ton of questions about dairy products every day. Most people aren’t sure what to do because it’s a grey area in many low-carb diets.

For example, dairy is allowed on the SCD Diet as long as the lactose sugar is removed. So, things like 24-hour fermented yogurt and aged cheese are ok to eat and supposed to help you feel better.

But some low-carb diets don’t allow dairy at all… and others allow raw milk.

So, you may be asking yourself whether or not you should be eating it at all.

Not only that, but dairy can be a strong trigger for digestive problems in certain people.

So, when should you introduce dairy?

Is it OK to drink raw milk?

What if you don’t tolerate cow’s milk yogurt?

I answer these questions and more in this video. Hint: It all starts with your symptoms… not what diet you’re following.

4) This Hormone Could Be Low (Allowing Your Inflammation to Rage On)

There’s an inflammation epidemic going on… and there’s one root cause that can really help. We’ve seen it in about 90% of our 1-on-1 private clients.

There’s a hormone that, when it’s at normal levels, can completely put the inflammation fire out.

And in this video, I’m going to explain everything you need to know about this hormone and the critical role it plays in your immune system.

If you’re someone with chronic inflammation, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, or Autoimmune Disease… this video could explain a lot about why your immune system isn’t working right.

I even share 6 test results and show you what’s been going on in detail.

Not only that, but I get really specific about what tests to order if you think this hormone is a problem for you.

5) You Could Have Bad Bugs in All the Wrong Places

If you’re still struggling with gas, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea… you could have bacteria growing in all the wrong places.

You could be suffering from Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO).

It could be the one thing that’s keeping your diet restricted and causing a lot of stomach pain. The most important things you need to know about SIBO are covered in this video:

… signs and symptoms you’re a candidate for SIBO testing.

… clearing up the confusion about what testing can tell us.

… what to do if you test positive for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.

What to Do Next…

Pick one thing from today’s post and test it like an engineer. Maybe that’s cutting out dairy, or trying digestive enzymes. No matter which thing you choose, keep the mindset that you’re a “health engineer” and keep tweaking things… each step in the right direction is one step closer to heath.

If you haven’t yet, take our quiz for Leaky Gut here to see if that’s a problem holding you back…

And if you need more help creating a custom diet that works for you, I highly recommend you get a copy of our book. It’s a step-by-step guide for creating a custom real food diet that works for your body:

–>  http://scdlifestylebook.com/

– Jordan

P.S. – The most important thing? Never give up trying to take control of your health. I know it’s frustrating, I’ve been there… but I believe in you and know you can do this.

Krista February 5, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Just a quick question regarding the first video above. Why can’t someone take the suggested supplements while on an antibiotic. The enzymes and the betadine HCl. Thanks.

Lori Jo Berg February 6, 2015 at 9:53 am

Hi Krista, thanks for reaching out! Taking antibiotics is not something to mess around with and we suggest consulting with your doctor about what other supplements are safe to take while on them.

krista February 5, 2015 at 1:43 pm

How can we lower cortisol levels if they are too high?

Lori Jo Berg February 5, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Hi Krista, thanks for reaching out! We suggest working with a practitioner, as each person is different and will need specific treatment based upon several individual factors. You can find one here if you do not already have one: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

Rachel R. February 5, 2015 at 4:03 pm

What do you do to FIX the cortisol levels, though? I KNOW my cortisol is low. I’ve been in adrenal fatigue for at least 10 years. But my body is also under constant stress from malnutrition because I can’t EAT anything.

How does one fix any of these pieces while every piece is continuing to throw off all the other pieces?

Lori Jo Berg February 5, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Hi Rachel, thanks for reaching out! We highly suggest a comprehensive program that addresses diet, lifestyle changes, supplements and root causes such as a hormone imbalance. Please read on for more information: solvingleakygut.com The quiz is a great place to start.

Mar February 6, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know how much I love your website and the information you provide! Reviewing the topic above for which I am writing this comment makes me want to ask what to do if yes, your adrenals are low, but you cannot tolerate Cortef and or other supplements that help them and yes, your thyroid is off because you aren’t converting T4 to T3 very well, but have trouble with crazy detoxification symptoms when taking T3 in addition to your natural T4/T3 and last but not least, you know something is not right with your stomach digestion, but you can’t take HCL/Pepsin because it causes grief, but you can sometimes take bitters and it may or may not help? The SCD diet has been great, but I have had to implement a FODMAPs routine. I apologize if you have answered all of these questions before and I have missed them on your site.
Thank you for all you do.
Mar

Lori Jo Berg February 10, 2015 at 11:55 am

Hi Mar, thanks for reaching out! We suggest working with a functional medicine practitioner, as dealing with hormones and adrenal issues is serious and not something to mess around with. If you are in need of one, you can go here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/ The SCD diet is a great start to addressing the gut issues as well as testing your HCL levels as the article suggests.

Cindy Lee February 9, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Hi, Jordan spoke about an article on why cortisol is good for us. How can I access that? Thank you

Lori Jo Berg February 10, 2015 at 11:50 am

Hi Cindy, thanks for reaching out! Here is that article: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/10/why-cortisol-is-good-for-you/

Phoebe February 11, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Thanks for the helpful videos! I am wondering if I should continue taking digestive enzymes and betain HCL if my symptoms have pretty much gotten better after following a SCD/low FODMAP diet? I am being tested for SIBO in a couple weeks. I have just recently started eating 24 hr raw milk yogurt and eating only cooked veggies and I feel so much better. Also cut out nuts. Took me a while to get to this place and your website has been a huge help. Just don’t want to keep taking supplements unless they are completely necessary, although it does sound like a lot of people take those two in particular for a while. Thanks!

Lori Jo Berg February 11, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Hi Phoebe, thanks for reaching out! Go ahead and taper off of them one supplement at a time (for example, start with the HCL), and see how you do. This is the best way to tell if your body is ready to go with out or not.

Kristin February 11, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Thank you for the helpful information. I’m just beginning to seriously figure out what is causing my gas and bloating. My question is regarding the digestive enzymes. Will one need to be on them for their whole life? Is there such a thing as taking them long term and having your body becoming dependant on them?

Lori Jo Berg February 11, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Hi Kristin, thanks for raeching out! Digestive enzymes are used in the beginning to help your impaired gut digest food. As the body begins to heal, you will most likely need less and less and we suggest testing this out down the road. For some who have healed their gut, they may choose to take one or two enzymes when they want to cheat to help the body digest the food. I wouldn’t say you become dependent upon them and there isn’t any research that shows negative side effects of taking digestive enzymes for gut health.

Kristin February 12, 2015 at 7:57 am

Thank you,Lori Jo Berg, that information was so helpful. What tests would you recommend me starting with for just gas and bloating. I have no stomach pain or other digestive distress issues, thankfully.

Phoebe February 19, 2015 at 9:01 am

Thank you for responding Lori Jo. I accidentally ran out of both enzymes and HCL and quickly realized I am not ready to stop-my food basically stopped digesting. So I found out the hard way just how helpful they are!

Sharon February 25, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I finished the introductory diet but could not eat the carrots because they caused gas and bloating. I then tried the summer squash and that did too. Does this mean I have a Candida problem? Not sure if I should try the other veggies in stage one or just the low glycemic ones or does my gut just need more time to heal.

Lori Jo Berg February 25, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Hi Sharon, go ahead and try zucchini instead of the carrots and see how you do with that.