Can Supplementing with Maca Improve Gut Health? (Podcast 81 with Dr. Anna Cabeca)

dr-cabeca-beach

You may have heard of Maca before. Many people are supplementing with it to help with infertility and hormone imbalance…

But can it help with gut health?

What if I said the root causes associated with many cases of infertility were inflammation, hormone imbalance, and/or adrenal fatigue?

Sound familiar?

Well, if you’ve followed us for any length of time you already know this, but Steve and I are very particular about the supplements we share with our community. While creating a custom version of a real food diet is definitely at the base of any effective healing plan, many times supplements, proper testing, and working with a skilled practitioner are necessary to take your health to the next level.

When it comes to supplements, we know just how confusing and frustrating it can be to find quality that’s affordable, especially with all of the blanket statements and “magic pill” claims attached to thousands of products.

While we realize that, in most cases, no one supplement is going to be the answer for you, when we come across a game changer we’re inclined to share it with you. After all, one of our core missions is to follow our “time machine rule”, sharing things we wish we could get in a time machine and go back and give ourselves when we were sick.

No, we weren’t dealing with infertility, but our hormones were definitely out of whack, which was keeping us from healing our guts.

Bottom line: we want to help you cut down on healing time, as well as money spent, so that you can experience what it feels like to thrive.

In working with hundreds of private clients and the thousands of amazing followers, we’ve discovered that whether you’re struggling with IBS, IBD, autoimmune conditions, or any kind of chronic illness, there are certain patterns that keep repeating over and over. And there are certain key nutrients that can literally be the difference between staying where you’re at and reaching remission and levels of health you never thought were possible.

That’s why I’m so excited to share this new podcast interview with my friend Dr. Anna Cabeca with you. Her story of overcoming an improbable diagnosis, by all medical standards, will simply blow you away… and the root causes are right in line with what we’ve been sharing for years now.

On this Podcast, We Cover:

1:18 Dr. Cabeca’s powerful journey (how she overcame a devastating diagnosis)

7:41 What is Maca (and why Dr. Cabeca is so passionate about it)

11:59 How Maca affects males and females differently

14:21 Promising research that supports the use of Maca

19:44 How Maca helps those struggling with gut health issues

24:15 What’s in Dr. Cabeca’s Maca formulation (that makes it better)?

31:00 Is there anyone Mighty Maca might not be for?

35:25 How you can try out Mighty Maca

Play

I’d like to give a special thanks to Dr. Cabeca for taking time out of her busy schedule to join me for this very powerful and informative podcast. Not only has Mighty Maca helped me in my own personal recovery, but it helped me save hundreds of dollars.

Let me know if you have any experience using Maca and/or Mighty Maca. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

-Jordan

P.S. – If you can’t see the audio player on this post, you can download the mp3 here. Also, you can listen to the show on iTunes here.

LJ October 27, 2014 at 1:51 pm

what about someone with adrenal fatigue/thyroid issues? I read here that Maca can be a goitrogen:

(do a page search for maca)

Jordan Reasoner October 30, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Hi LJ, thank you for reaching out! This supplement is certainly not for everyone and we encourage you to consult with your doctor as well as listen to your body.

BB October 27, 2014 at 5:01 pm

This product does not appear to be scd legal. If one’s problems are more related to adrenal/endocrine issues and gut dysbiosis than ibd, colitis, crohns… how early in the scd diet could one introduce this? Into day 4 and feeling better in someways (bloating, gas, and sugar cravings greatly diminished), but fatique level is high; removing coffee from diet showed just how fatigued my adrenals were. Maca and Cacao are two superfoods I cannot find on “the list”. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Jordan Reasoner October 30, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi, thank you for reaching out! This supplement is for those who have done a great amount of healing and is nor for those on a strict SCD diet or those just starting the diet.

Heidi October 27, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I am curious why you recommend Mighty Maca when it contains Oats, bran, stevia, spirulina and chlorella, which are all illegal on the SCD diet????

Jordan Reasoner October 30, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi Heidi,
Thank you for reaching out! This supplement is for those who are advanced in their health and is not for those just beginning or still on a strict SCD diet.

Zoe October 27, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I would love to try maca, but I am sensitive to several of the ingredients in Mighty Maca. So I will be looking for a plain maca product. I see raw, gelatinized to remove the starch, etc. What would be the best maca product to try to find for a super-sensitive system?

Lori Jo Berg October 30, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Hi Zoe, thank you for reaching out. This is the brand that we recommend and each person may not be able to tolerate it, as everyone is different. This is a supplement for those who are advanced in their health and have already done a great deal of healing.

Doreen Wint October 27, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Just adding a little info about Maca. I have been using Maca for about one year now. Since I have been using maca, I have not had any hot flashes or mood swings. I usually get it in the powder form, and will not go a day without it.

Goldfish October 30, 2014 at 7:15 am

I am not sure Maca is good for people who are hyperthyroid.I am slightly hyperthyroid, and have found that Maca interferes with my sleep.

ellen January 3, 2015 at 8:21 pm

I agree. I have used maca but am subclinical hyper and I have read maca may interfere. I did not notice any difference in thyroid function but it seems to swing so fast that I got scared and stopped the maca. I am disappointed others have not weighed in here.

David Fantle October 30, 2014 at 8:17 pm

The product contains a number of types of added fiber, and therefore could cause more intestinal fermentation and troubles in people with SIBO as the underlying cause of their GI and autoimmune disorders. Any comments on this?

Lori Jo Berg November 2, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Hi David, thank you for reaching out! This product is only for those who have done a ton of healing in their journey and are ready for more advanced supplements. You will need to get the SIBO taken care of before you can benefit from Maca, and even then this supplement is not for everyone.

Mary Wilhelm October 30, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Hi,
I knew I had colon issues, and have had for some time. I thought the film was from my toothpaste, but I know it is not that. I do have the upper intestinal bacterial overgrowth. I use to drink aloe, and it did help, but am thinking maybe the maca will help, as well. I have fatigue a lot, sometimes horrible brain fog, and was diagnosed with sleep apnea, which I take a medicine for daytime fatigue, and sleep apnea as well as ritlan , long acting for focus. I use to be up all night, and tired all day. can you tell me what to take for the film in my throat , and on my teeth, and if i should use a different tooth paste, and if the meds I take are ok with the supplements? I appreciate the help. I had an ulcer years back, two divorces, had hair chemical allergies, had really low blood pressure then, and then really high, have been exercising and in better shape but still at times very tired, and always very constipated, had two auto , seatbelt injuries, one long ago, one not so long, and it seems when the furnace is on, in the house , the brain fog is worse, and the fatigue. do you know if the aloe does work, it seemed to, and or how to break down the film. I used oregano and tumeric, last evening, and thought it broke through the film some, but am so tired. antibiotics do not help, and have tried this one, mentioned, made everything worse, the fatigue, etc, even caused way more overgrowth, and pneumonia. i have used aloe, green barley, and tried beans and rice and was better, then i did not heat or boil at one hundred degrees, kidney beans, and lentils, about a month ago, and the toxins inside them naturally caused a horrendous bout of colic, that i had a while back from chocolate. my life is unpredicable, and I know nothing is guaranteed, but am wanting to know if the maca is ok with provigil, and ritlan, and also is aloe ok, or what do you start with. am already on the diet. thanks so much. mary w. plus i have had about thirty plus years of stress, had tests all run, liver enzymes were up after the chocolate, in spring, now they are down, the bean thing was a month ago. thanks, peace.

Lori Jo Berg November 2, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Hi Mary, thank you for reaching out! We are not authorized to give medical advice and therefore can’t really comment on your questions about drug and supplement interactions. Maca is for those who have done a ton of healing and have their own safe food zone down to a science. We suggest figuring out the root of any problems first before looking at advanced supplements such as maca. If you are in need of a practitioner, you can find one here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

Elizabeth December 1, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I have SIBO and want to know if taking gelatinsed maca is going to cause me a problem with bloating and pain?

Lori Jo Berg December 3, 2014 at 8:41 am

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for reaching out! One product is not going to heal your SIBO, as it certainly takes a multi-step approach to attack SIBO. My best suggestion is to look for a program that changes the diet according to your specific needs, adds the correct supplements, and addresses lifestyle changes. Our Solving Leaky gut program effectively does all three and if you would like to take the customized quiz and check out the program, you can do so here: solvingleakygut.com