Pooping 101: 4 Signs Your Poop is Healthy

Man in suit wearing gas mask reading newspaper on the toilet

You wouldn’t believe some of the poop pictures people email us.

I’ll spare you the details, but I’ve seen more poop selfie’s from people to last a lifetime. Our team started putting disclaimers on these emails so we didn’t open them while eating ha ha.

But in all seriousness, I’m very happy these people are actually using their poop as a troubleshooting tool. Many people don’t (or won’t), because talking about poop can be very weird in today’s culture.

But if we’re honest about it we can learn a lot from our poop. If we actually stop and take a look in the toilet bowl, our poop can be a very real indication of our health on a regular basis.

Your Poop is Whispering to You

We all poop. It’s one of the few reminders we get about our health on a (hopefully) daily basis, and yet most don’t pay much attention to it. But the truth is: if you’re not pooping right,  it could be a subtle clue from your body that something is going wrong.

You’re probably spending a lot of time and energy to consume healthy, real food. But are you digesting it well? Are you breaking it down and absorbing all of the nutrients? The quality of your poop is a direct indication of how well your digestive tract is functioning.

If you’re poop isn’t healthy, your digestive tract is either moving too slow or too fast… which can lead to an increased risk of conditions like neurological disease, autoimmune disease and chronic inflammatory conditions.

Not only that, recent research suggests that your brain and the good bacteria in your gut communicate directly with one another influencing your mood, immune system, and inflammation levels (1) (2) (3).

There’s also good short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) in your colon, which have anti-inflammatory effects and increase insulin sensitivity (4).

Think of your poop like the check engine light in your car. We all hate it when that turns on, but it’s important. Your engine might need something simple like a new air filter… or it could be 2 miles before everything blows up. If you don’t do something about it, you could get stranded on the side of the road with a huge repair bill.

BUT… if you’re pooping well it could be a good sign your body is doing well and on the way to good health.

Is Your Poop Healthy?

There are four keys to a perfect poop. If you’ve ever had one… you know what we’re talking about. But if you’re not sure, take this poop assessment and see where you stack up.

1.  Does your poop look like a snake?

The most important part of a healthy poop is the quality, so you need to start looking down and see what’s really going on in the toilet. Thankfully, the folks at the University of Bristol published a study in the Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, gifting us with the Bristol Stool Chart (5).

Here it is:

Bristol Stool Chart

Where does your most recent BM stack up? Anything between a Bristol 1-3 is considered constipated, while 6’s and 7’s are considered diarrhea.

What this means: A healthy poop is “like a sausage or a snake, smooth and soft.” If your poops aren’t looking 4ish, it could be trying to tell you something (like you have low stomach acid).

2.  How often are you pooping?

Everyone is different, but the research agrees we should all poop every day. The range of healthy is typically 1-3 times a day, and it can vary day-to-day. Poop is waste and you need to get rid of it every day to make sure that you’re properly removing toxins. Some people even have bowel movements every time they eat.

What this means: If you find yourself pooping a couple times a week you’re probably constipated. If you’re going 5+ times a day, you’re on the diarrhea side of things. Both could pose serious health risks over the long term.

3.  How easy is it to poop?

It’s so normal in our culture to take a newspaper to the bathroom and spend 30 minutes in there battling it out with your poop. But the reality is: a healthy poop should only take but a few minutes. It should be easy. Pushing typically leads to hemorrhoids which are all too common today.

What this means: Normal poop strikes a balance between not having to push or strain, but also not having so much urgency you can barely hold it. If you’re spending 10+ minutes on the toilet or running to make it just in time, you’re not having healthy bowel movements.

4: Did you get it all out?

For some people this is a non-issue… but part of a healthy poop is having what’s called “full evacuation.” Are you getting all your poop out when you sit down? Do you have to keep coming back over and over again? Or do you feel like there’s always something left behind making you feel uncomfortable?

What this means: A healthy poop is a complete one. If you never quite feel empty, then you’re not having healthy bowel movements.

3 Tips to Improve Your Poop

If your poop isn’t normal based on the quiz above, we know your digestive health isn’t what it should be. So, here’s a few tips to improve your digestive health and get closer to perfect poops.

1.  Avoid the 4 Horsemen

The biggest problem we see with people eating a real food diet, like Paleo, SCD, WAPF, or GAPS, is when they’re still not pooping well. There could be a lot of different root causes behind that, but the first place to start troubleshooting is the “4 horsemen.”  These are the 4 most common foods that are allowed, but cause a lot of problems. They are dairy, nuts/nut flours, eggs, and too much fruit/honey.

If you’re someone who’s struggling with constipation or diarrhea, you need to start troubleshooting your diet first. The most important thing you can do is listen to what your poop is telling you and continue to make changes and improve the food you’re eating. Removing the four horsemen can sometimes transform people’s poop overnight.

2.  Eat Good Bugs

Our gut has a TON of bacteria, and a healthy gut flora is critical for healthy poop.

Consume good bugs every single day. Start with foods like sauerkraut, kimchi or water kefir and see how well you tolerate them. A high quality probiotic, like Prescript Assist, is one supplement that can also boost the immune system in the gut and improve digestive health. Te learn more about probiotics, go here.

3.  Eat More Fat (And Take Digestive Enzymes)

Fat has a direct impact on peristalsis… the waves our bodies make to get rid of poop. Fat can be extremely helpful for people who are constipated. Increase your healthy fats from sources like coconut oil, animal fat, olive oil, and fermented cod liver oil.

However, increasing healthy fats can sometimes make diarrhea worse, which is why we recommend starting out with a good digestive enzyme (brands in this video). They contain Lipase, which is the enzyme that can help digest healthy fats.

If you aren’t having healthy poops right now, try these three changes for 30 days and see how you feel. The best part about poop is that it keeps giving you feedback, so you have regular signs of whether these changes are helping or not.

If you’ve tried all of this and are in need of next level support, then order a stool test here (direct to your home).

– Jordan

P.S. – Where does your poop stack up?  Leave a comment and let us know.

franz April 3, 2014 at 2:58 pm

im doing paleo diet. And for my stool, when it first comes out, its firmed with banana shape, just like the type 4, but after half mins into the water,they are gradually turn into type 6..is it normal? and whats the cause for this situation.. thx

Monique September 25, 2014 at 3:06 pm

It’s normal because when poop touches water it won’t stay for a long time.

Alison April 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for this very informative and well written article on poop! I’ve shared it on my FB page, and hope to encourage others to not only pay attention to their own poop, but (if possible) to their children’s poop. It’s an easy way to assess your child’s health and make sure their little bodies are happy and healthy!

susan April 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm

So glad to see you guys addressing incomplete poops…one of the hallmarks of IBS…especially IBS-C. Could you please comment back on this: I may have to go 1-4 times/day, but sometimes my colon ‘wrenches up’…like there is a charleyhorse in it. The poop is there, but the colon spasms and will not move it along. Gets tough to eat, because you feel very backed up, gassy, full and in pain. and…In many that have IBS-C, fat exacerbates this rather than helping it. I eat clean, take probiotics, recently had a pretty normal stool sample test and am taking enzymes for commensal bacteria found. Would love to hear what you have to say. THANKS! and best to you for you continued good work and success.

Rhi May 8, 2014 at 2:35 am

I’m no expert, but maybe a squatty potty would help you out. I own one. It elevates your feet so that you are in a more natural squatting position, which helps your lower digestive (pooping muscles) relax and work more effectively. There is a really good (not graphic) video on youtube and you can buy the product on Amazon. Here’s the video link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcv6odWfTM

Good Luck Susan!
Rhi

Stephanie Hawkins June 18, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Omgoodness this is me all the way. Sometimes i go 4 days without pooping. I have IBS-C, auto immune disease, mental issues….blah blah blah you name it I feel it. Been living like this since I was 15, I’m now 38 . Its exhausting and controls my life. I had it under the most control last year thru Paleo diet and crossfit. I had never felt better. However, I allowed work stress and excuses to take over and I’m back where I started two years ago. I want to get back on track but struggle to make ‘today the day’ I change. If I poop once a day its a magical day. I know this is not a response to your question to the experts, its nice to know I’m not alone in this struggle.

Selina April 3, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Hi there but I was wondering should a healthy poop sink or float??!!!!

Amy April 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Is it normal to have type 1 some days and type 4 some days?
Thanks!

Gina Catalano April 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I’m almost to week 4 of Phase 1 Tough Case and I was constipated for the first week. I was advised to take CALM magnesium to soften the poop and now I go about every other day but it varies between a 6 and 7. I had stopped taking Betaine HCl because I was taking Aleve and Tylenol 3 times a day to manage the RA pain and swelling. I am now almost symptom free except when I introduced pears and then zucchinis. It takes about three days for the symptoms to go away. I’m a bit concerned about my poops and went back to Bitters when I began experiencing indigestion a few days ago and gas symptoms after each meal (I don’t think it’s heatburn, but it feels like air is stuck right under my sternum.
Should I be concerned? Is it common to react to pears and zucchini? I’m supposed to introduce apples and I’m a bit nervous….

D.Kay April 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm

How about poop that is so soft and smooth that is sticks to the bowl? Isn’t that the ‘tarry’ poop we hear about? What does that indicate?? Also have indigestion mentioned in last comment with gas symptoms after meals (like air stuck under sternum) and at times alot of burping.

Deb April 4, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I was wondering about floating poop also. Mine seldom sink and are usually a 4.

Thanks!

Peace June 14, 2014 at 3:40 pm

OMG the low carb for too long rings true for me, before Paleo I went on the restrictive anti-yeast diet then gluten free, all three restrictive carb diets, no wonder I crave pasta :0
My diet is too restrictive and so is my bowel!
Where is the constricted HB pencil on the stool chart???
Hmmm….my hormones are unbalanced, I’m an emotional mess, insomnia and no NRG!
I thot my cortisol is low and my adrenals crashed, can this be fixed by adding carbs and salt?
The salt deprivation rings true, as does the fat deprivation.
I have to re-train myself to eat properly now that I’m somewhat gut healed I guess, this trial and error process is exhausting and complicated.
I did manage to go from IBS alternating to IBS-C though, IBD still inflammation but not ulcerated,no pain or gas during my lengthy remissions, no meds all diet.

leslie August 12, 2014 at 11:12 pm

WHAT causes “mucousy looking” poop….? I’m an artist who works with natural clays and worry about parasites from invisible eggs…My doctor said she wouldn’t worry if I have no intestinal distress, but….

albert August 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

I CANT POOP, I POOP ONCE MAYBE 3 TIMES A MONTH, 5 ON A GOOD ONE. I NEVER GET CRAMPS OR PAINS SO ITS NOT LIKE IM CONSTIPATED AND JUST AM NOT GOING. MY DOCTOR SAYS NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME AND THAT ALL MY LEVELS ARE GOOD. ON THE CHART I WASNT CONSTIPATED OR ANYTHING WHEN I DO POOP ITS SNAKE LIKE SO WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME. MY DIET IS HEALTHY I DRINK A LOT OF WATER AND SUCH AND IM NOT FAT SO I DONT THINK ITS ALL STUCK IN THERE… MY THEORY IS I MAY HAVE A REALLY ACIDIC STOMACH AND IT JUST GETS WASHED DOWN WITH MY URINE BC I PEE A LOT BUT STILL IVE BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE I CAN REMEMBER AND WELL I JUST WANT TO POOP EVERYDAY..and be normal

HELP ME FIX MY POOP

Brent Kovacs August 18, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Hi Albert, thanks for reaching out! In many cases, the first step comes down to a matter of figuring out the proper definition for your situation. Steve addresses constipation in depth in this blog post and what can be done to help turn things around: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/10/4-common-signs-of-constipation/

andrew August 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm

HELP PLEASE!!!!

i changed my diet to include alot more healthy foods, im even eating less meat and drinking ungodly amounts of water. I took activia for 2 weeks (the cup said to take for only two weeks) and in the first week and a half my poop went from a type 2 to a type 4. But then it started to deteriorate back to a type 2 over the next 3 days. Im still pooping everyday, buts its very hard now, and i went from pooping in the mornings to pooping at random points in the day. This is the second time ive changed my diet and its the same result. Everything works well at first but then i get constipated again. I have no idea what to do. Also i never seem to let it all out when i go. Theres always some left over. Can anybody help me out??

Brent Kovacs August 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi Andrew, we suggest starting SCD from the intro diet and giving it at least 30 days to see how you feel. Two really key supplements to consider as well are digestive enzymes and betaine hcl. They can literally be a light switch for turning around GI problems.

Alisha Ivey August 20, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Ok I have been having a bad problem and don’t have Insurance to go the doctor I have been pooping all day for two weeks and before that I didn’t poop for a month i normally only poop 3-4 times a week I haven’t changed my diet at all my poop has been 5-7 after I pooped the first two times from not going for a month and the first two times it was 1-3 all I know is I don’t like this at all my in a mad mood all the time my stomach is in pain please help

Steven Wright August 24, 2014 at 12:18 am

Hey Alisha – It’s a good idea to have a doctor who gets it on your side. In the meantime keep reading on this site. Get our free quick start guide and some digestive enzymes and you’ll be well on your way to easing the pain.

kristy September 3, 2014 at 5:58 pm

i no my poop is not normal at all i dont have insurance
ive just started like 3 months ago taking high blood pressure medication
paying for that and not to mention over the contours diarrhea medication ive been having it for over a month now first thing in the morning i changed to decaf coffee and still right away diarrhea
in the late afternoon diarrhea sometimes 3 times a day
is there anything else i can do to get ride of this not sure if the medication is doing this to me but my blood pressure is down now this is happening it is a little irrating being i have kids to take care of so
is there a answer on how to get back to a regulr poop i no my die is off wack too :-)
but im trying

Brent Kovacs September 4, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi Kristy,

Thanks for reaching out! We recommend starting SCD and giving it at least 30 days and see how you feel. You can find our book here: http://scdlifestylebook.com. Also, it would be a good idea to remove coffee completely until you know for sure you’re not reacting to it and much healing has occurred.

Rob P September 4, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Okay I have been pooping 5-8 times a day every time is diarrhea for 5 days straight. I get stomach pain then have to go even waking up in the middle of the night. I have been eating healthy since the second day. Please let me know what I can do that isn’t expensive. I need help fast.

Jordan Reasoner September 5, 2014 at 9:16 am

HI Rob, thanks for reaching out today! Please try some digestive enzymes as well as remove any trigger foods from your diet. Here is a great article: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/06/stop-diarrhea-fast/

Rob P September 5, 2014 at 11:10 am

Thank you! I ordered Enzynes and Probiotic

kaytlyn September 8, 2014 at 1:27 am

Hi have an issue,I used to have regular bowel movements once daily until I had my son via c-section. I now have bowel movements like #6-#7 after every meal and I have horrible gas/stomach pain before and after this is really bothering me and I feel somethings wrong. Do you think I should seek medical attention from a health care provider of mine?

kaytlyn September 8, 2014 at 1:28 am

I also found out since I’ve had my son that I have ovarian cysts could this be linked with my issue

Lori Jo Berg September 9, 2014 at 6:09 pm

HI Kaytlyn, thank you for reaching out! It is always a good idea to find a practitioner you trust to oversee your medical concerns and decisions. If you are in need of one, you can find one here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/ You can also try one of our programs, as they will help you address these issues you have mentioned.

Zara October 9, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Hi is it normal to poop everyday? My poops are like type 4 had it now for about two weeks? I’m doing more exsurses now and also using cergem beds? Hater I poop my bum is really ichy :/ and feels like I need to go for poop again what cud this be please?

Lori Jo Berg October 13, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Hi Zara, thank you for reaching out! Yes, it is normal and healthy to poop each day, as this is one of the ways our bodies detoxes it’s self. If you feel you are not all the way done when you have had a bowel movement, this is a sign of constipation as well and we suggest you adapt a new diet, as well as a constipation protocol such as the one in our program here: http://healthygut.solvingleakygut.com/

allie October 20, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Hey so I poop like every 2-3 days, but on the days I do poop, it is every time I sit down on the toilet, which is at least five times a day, what is wrong with me

Lori Jo Berg October 22, 2014 at 7:25 am

Hi Allie, thank you for reaching out! This is a sign of constipation and we do suggest getting on a program such as the SCD diet to address the issue, as diet, supplements, and lifestyle changes are all part of the solution.

Kristi October 25, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hi, #4 is what my poop looks like but it sinks. Is it supposed to sink or float?

Lori Jo Berg October 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Hi Kristi, thank you for reaching out! Your poop should sink to the bottom of the toilet.

Jen November 20, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi, I am glad someone wrote about this. I poop every day, 3-5 times a day on a normal day, when I’m having a bad day, 5-10!!!! There are even days when i will have a range of poop in the same hour!! I will be constipated one minute, like #2 or 3 then once i get it out, then its Diarrhea!! The fact that I am constantly going and I am overweight is extremely concerning to me. Can some one please give me an opinion on this? Thank you!!

Lori Jo Berg November 21, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hi Jen, thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you need to adapt to a new diet, such as the SCD diet. There are many tools you can use to have healthy bowel movements, and this quick start guide is a great start: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Aahmad November 24, 2014 at 3:01 am

Hi and thanks for this wonderful website.
I did not have any stomach and bowel problem before, but from last year after a 4 day period of pain and black stool it began. After that after 5 months I go to doctor for bowel problem and the problem was that my stool got very soft and shiny and I didn’t fell empty any time after going to toilet. I did a stool examination came back normal but a positive Helicobacter pylori but doctor didn’t give me meds except Bismuth. And now after about 4 months I came up with low grade pain in stomach and soft stool again I go and see another doctor he gave me meds to cure helico. I have to mention that I had 4 or 5 periods of acid reflux since last year too.
My stool is very soft but no watery at all, It comes out as soon as I sit on the toilet it looks like number 4 in bristol chart but I dont feel empty many times even after I took bismuth it is still very soft. I go to toilet once or twice every day.
Is my body normal? what’s my problem?

Lori Jo Berg November 24, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Hi Aahmad, thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you need to adapt to a new diet, such as the SCD diet, and possible get some more stool testing done. It would be best to change your diet first and see how you feel while doing that. You can start with our free quick start guide on scdlifestyle.com if you are interested.

rachel November 29, 2014 at 12:56 am

Help! I only poop once every 2-3 days! What does this indicate? And I’m only 13 years old!

Lori Jo Berg December 1, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hi Rachel, thank you for reaching out! Your bowels are not moving properly and you certainly need to look into some diet and lifestyle changes. Please go here for more information and to take the quiz:
solvingleakygut.com

dev raj roy January 7, 2015 at 12:43 am

Hi m dev last 2 years m felling embrassing.becoz m nt fit my poops are not good.m goes to toilet3 4time a day n poops look like a snake n soft sometime stomach pain also.pls help me

Lori Jo Berg January 11, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Hi Dev Raj Roy, thanks for reaching out. The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.
The best place to start is with our Free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Aadam December 13, 2014 at 5:15 am

Good article and helpful information. Thank you for sharing this to us. Thank you so much.

Kit December 20, 2014 at 8:54 am

Question!!

For the past 2 weeks I notice that every time I poop, it floats. Every. TIME! I removed dairy from my diet, perhaps there was too much gas, but nothing. Sometimes my stool leaves marks on the toilet bowl when I flush. I am concerned that I am suffering from malabsorbtion? Celiac? I don’t know what I can do to help improve this.. (I should note, that I was on a string of antibiotics for 2.5 weeks prior to this issue, I don’t know if that is related. Also, as far as my energy levels, I feel fine. Just one day I went #2, and it floated, and it hasn’t stopped.)

Lori Jo Berg December 22, 2014 at 11:05 am

Hi Kit, thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you need a complete approach to address these issues, and we highly suggest looking into our Solving Leaky Gut program found here: solvingleakygut.com

Marisa December 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm

My stool is a usually a 6. I have been diagnosed with leaky gut and on a glutten free diet but still have horrible heart burn. I only go once or twice a day but stool is never a 4. I have been on Premier Brand HCL and HCL activator but I don’t think it’s helping. I am working with a doctor but just not seeing the results. I keep losing weight and am very frustrated. I have a similar story to Kit’s. was on 3 rounds of antibiotics but I am extremely fatigued and as told I have weak or fatigued adrenals. So frustrated and want to gain weight back and enjoy eating again.

Lori Jo Berg December 26, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Hi Marisa, thank you for reaching out! we know it can be frustrating at times, but we encourage you to stick with it, tweak the diet as needed for your specific needs, and continue to fight for your health.

Marisa December 30, 2014 at 6:56 am

Thank you for responding. Is there anything I can do to put weight back on? My weight is dropping to much and I am beginning to look anorexic.

Lori Jo Berg December 30, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hi Marisa, thanks for reaching out! This article may be helpful for you: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/04/5-real-food-weight-gain-shakes-paleo-scd/
Also, please remember that calories are not restricted on the SCD diet and spoonfuls of coconut oil is a great way to get more calories.

tabitha graves December 28, 2014 at 2:00 am

i was woundering if anyone could tell me what going on with me im not sure i have been having stomack pains alot but once i go sit on toliet and poop i feel better.also here within this year i started feeling nasua off and on when get stomack pain.

Lori Jo Berg December 30, 2014 at 7:34 pm

HI Tabitha, thanks for reaching out1 IT is hard to say what may be going on with out a full health history, but my best suggestion is to change your diet by starting on the SCD diet with our free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

sam January 16, 2015 at 7:19 am

morning right after I poop again I HV to poop. no matter how patiently I sit the first time I ll end up in bathroom just within five minutes. it’s not affecting my health in any way. but I d like to do it 1-2 times a day like a regular person. please help

Lori Jo Berg January 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Hi Sam, thanks for reaching out! This is a sign of constipation and we suggest adapting to a new diet such as the SCD diet or our Solving leaky gut diet, which is more comprehensive and will have a specific protocol for constipation: solvingleakygut.com

Alisha January 16, 2015 at 7:33 am

Usually I poop around 1 time a day but recently I’ve been pooping 3-4 times a day and small amounts. My poop is like type 4. And I feel empty after pooping. But I get a mild abdominal pain just before I poop. Is it fine or should I consult a doctor?

Lori Jo Berg January 16, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Hi Alisha, thanks for reaching out! It would be best to start paying attention to your diet to try and pin point any problematic foods. If you are looking for some guidance, please see our effective meal plans here: http://scdlifestyle.com/meal-plans/

sasa February 6, 2015 at 3:05 pm

For all of you with runny stool 4-6 times a day that someone told you you have IBS, check for BLASTO and Gardia most commonly misdiagnosed condition. Over 40 MILLION Americans have some form of infection and they were told that they have IBS.

Susan February 13, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I can go weeks without pooping until I feel sick I then take pills to go

Lori Jo Berg February 16, 2015 at 10:40 am

Hi Susan, thanks for reaching out! IT sounds like you need to address your diet first and we highly suggest reading more here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real-food-tips-constipation/

Heather-Ann February 21, 2015 at 10:13 pm

I poop once…every two-six days…not quite sure what to change for it to get better. I havent had bowel movements daily for as long as i remember though

Lori Jo Berg February 23, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hi Heather-Ann, thanks for reaching out! We suggest starting with dietary changes and the best place to start is with our Free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

From here, we highly recommend following the directions in the eBook for best results: http://scdlifestylebook.com/ Also, you can read several more articles on constipation here: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/constipation/

Mollie February 25, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Can someone help me? I usually go 2 or 3 days without pooping. Lately my poop has been looking like number 5. I go about 2 times a day. I’m really worried!!

Lori Jo Berg February 25, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Hi Mollie, thanks for reaching out! We suggest starting by addressing your diet with our free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/ Also, this article would be a great one to review as well: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real-food-tips-constipation/

vil March 1, 2015 at 12:34 am

Hi All,

Sometimes after i eat certain foods (yet to diagnose) I have diarrhoea almost straightt away, sometimes i have bright red blood in the toilet bowl and on my toilet paper and don’t feel ‘emptied’ Should i be worried?

Thanks

Lori Jo Berg March 11, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Thank you for reaching out! We are truly grateful for the opportunity to connect with you. We suggest consulting iwth your doctor if you are worried in any way about your symptoms.
The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Cathy March 2, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Ok so i poop between 4 and 8 times a day and my poop changes with each time i go it will change in color and consistency. I eat and with in hours poop my food out to where I can see what I have eaten. I go from total diarrhea to tiny Peeples and it’s always a feeling of incomplete. Like I’m not finished yet.. 2 months ago I had a severe episode of rectal bleeding and I am currently working with Doctors to figure out why. My blood work showed mildly high ALT liver enzymes so now I must see a gastrologist! I have severe bought of pain in my stomach but they don’t last long and a few times it was so bad I almost passed out cause the pain got so bad.. help

Lori Jo Berg March 11, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Hi Cathy, thanks for reaching out! The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Jerrett Snyder March 10, 2015 at 3:33 pm

PPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Dodo March 19, 2015 at 6:39 am

Hi, I’m on a GM diet and did n’t see poop for the past 4 days, is’t normal ?

Lori Jo Berg March 19, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Hi- Any time we see something like this it certainly is not normal. The SCD diet has helped many people not only with diarrhea, but with constipation as well. We suggest starting by addressing your diet with our free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/
Also, please read the following article on constipation, as it can be very helpful on your journey: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real-food-tips-constipation/
We also have an entire section of constipation related articles on our site, and these can be found here: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/constipation/

karthik March 26, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Hi recent days i am pooping 3 to 4 times a day, some times stool some times solid ,doctor say it as ulcer, is that could be that case or something worse more?

Lori Jo Berg March 27, 2015 at 10:28 am

Hi Karthik, thanks for reaching out! It is hard to say what is causing it, but we suggest starting with dietary changes first and going from there: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/