Pooping 101: 4 Signs Your Poop is Healthy

Man in suit wearing gas mask reading newspaper on the toilet

You wouldn’t believe some of the poop pictures people email us.

I’ll spare you the details, but I’ve seen more poop selfies from people to last a lifetime. Our team started putting disclaimers on these emails so we didn’t open them while eating ha ha.

But in all seriousness, I’m very happy these people are actually using their poop as a troubleshooting tool. Many people don’t (or won’t), because talking about poop can be very weird in today’s culture.

But if we’re honest about it we can learn a lot from our poop. If we actually stop and take a look in the toilet bowl, our poop can be a very real indication of our health on a regular basis.

Your Poop is Whispering to You

We all poop. It’s one of the few reminders we get about our health on a (hopefully) daily basis, and yet most don’t pay much attention to it. But the truth is: if you’re not pooping right,  it could be a subtle clue from your body that something is going wrong.

You’re probably spending a lot of time and energy to consume healthy, real food. But are you digesting it well? Are you breaking it down and absorbing all of the nutrients? The quality of your poop is a direct indication of how well your digestive tract is functioning.

If you’re poop isn’t healthy, your digestive tract is either moving too slow or too fast… which can lead to an increased risk of conditions like neurological disease, autoimmune disease and chronic inflammatory conditions.

Not only that, recent research suggests that your brain and the good bacteria in your gut communicate directly with one another influencing your mood, immune system, and inflammation levels (1) (2) (3).

There’s also good short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) in your colon, which have anti-inflammatory effects and increase insulin sensitivity (4).

Think of your poop like the check engine light in your car. We all hate it when that turns on, but it’s important. Your engine might need something simple like a new air filter… or it could be 2 miles before everything blows up. If you don’t do something about it, you could get stranded on the side of the road with a huge repair bill.

BUT… if you’re pooping well it could be a good sign your body is doing well and on the way to good health.

Is Your Poop Healthy?

There are four keys to a perfect poop. If you’ve ever had one… you know what we’re talking about. But if you’re not sure, take this poop assessment and see where you stack up.

1.  Does your poop look like a snake?

The most important part of a healthy poop is the quality, so you need to start looking down and see what’s really going on in the toilet. Thankfully, the folks at the University of Bristol published a study in the Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology, gifting us with the Bristol Stool Chart (5).

Here it is:

Bristol Stool Chart

Where does your most recent BM stack up? Anything between a Bristol 1-3 is considered constipated, while 6’s and 7’s are considered diarrhea.

What this means: A healthy poop is “like a sausage or a snake, smooth and soft.” If your poops aren’t looking 4ish, it could be trying to tell you something (like you have low stomach acid).

2.  How often are you pooping?

Everyone is different, but the research agrees we should all poop every day. The range of healthy is typically 1-3 times a day, and it can vary day-to-day. Poop is waste and you need to get rid of it every day to make sure that you’re properly removing toxins. Some people even have bowel movements every time they eat.

What this means: If you find yourself pooping a couple times a week you’re probably constipated. If you’re going 5+ times a day, you’re on the diarrhea side of things. Both could pose serious health risks over the long term.

3.  How easy is it to poop?

It’s so normal in our culture to take a newspaper to the bathroom and spend 30 minutes in there battling it out with your poop. But the reality is: a healthy poop should only take but a few minutes. It should be easy. Pushing typically leads to hemorrhoids which are all too common today.

What this means: Normal poop strikes a balance between not having to push or strain, but also not having so much urgency you can barely hold it. If you’re spending 10+ minutes on the toilet or running to make it just in time, you’re not having healthy bowel movements.

4: Did you get it all out?

For some people this is a non-issue… but part of a healthy poop is having what’s called “full evacuation.” Are you getting all your poop out when you sit down? Do you have to keep coming back over and over again? Or do you feel like there’s always something left behind making you feel uncomfortable?

What this means: A healthy poop is a complete one. If you never quite feel empty, then you’re not having healthy bowel movements.

3 Tips to Improve Your Poop

If your poop isn’t normal based on the quiz above, we know your digestive health isn’t what it should be. So, here’s a few tips to improve your digestive health and get closer to perfect poops.

1.  Avoid the 4 Horsemen

The biggest problem we see with people eating a real food diet, like Paleo, SCD, WAPF, or GAPS, is when they’re still not pooping well. There could be a lot of different root causes behind that, but the first place to start troubleshooting is the “4 horsemen.”  These are the 4 most common foods that are allowed, but cause a lot of problems. They are dairy, nuts/nut flours, eggs, and too much fruit/honey.

If you’re someone who’s struggling with constipation or diarrhea, you need to start troubleshooting your diet first. The most important thing you can do is listen to what your poop is telling you and continue to make changes and improve the food you’re eating. Removing the four horsemen can sometimes transform people’s poop overnight.

2.  Eat Good Bugs

Our gut has a TON of bacteria, and a healthy gut flora is critical for healthy poop.

Consume good bugs every single day. Start with foods like sauerkraut, kimchi or water kefir and see how well you tolerate them. A high quality probiotic, like Prescript Assist, is one supplement that can also boost the immune system in the gut and improve digestive health. Te learn more about probiotics, go here.

3.  Eat More Fat (And Take Digestive Enzymes)

Fat has a direct impact on peristalsis… the waves our bodies make to get rid of poop. Fat can be extremely helpful for people who are constipated. Increase your healthy fats from sources like coconut oil, animal fat, olive oil, and fermented cod liver oil.

However, increasing healthy fats can sometimes make diarrhea worse, which is why we recommend starting out with a good digestive enzyme (brands in this video). They contain Lipase, which is the enzyme that can help digest healthy fats.

If you aren’t having healthy poops right now, try these three changes for 30 days and see how you feel. The best part about poop is that it keeps giving you feedback, so you have regular signs of whether these changes are helping or not.

If you’ve tried all of this and are in need of next level support, then order a stool test here (direct to your home).

– Jordan

P.S. – Where does your poop stack up?  Leave a comment and let us know.

franz April 3, 2014 at 2:58 pm

im doing paleo diet. And for my stool, when it first comes out, its firmed with banana shape, just like the type 4, but after half mins into the water,they are gradually turn into type 6..is it normal? and whats the cause for this situation.. thx

Monique September 25, 2014 at 3:06 pm

It’s normal because when poop touches water it won’t stay for a long time.

Alison April 3, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for this very informative and well written article on poop! I’ve shared it on my FB page, and hope to encourage others to not only pay attention to their own poop, but (if possible) to their children’s poop. It’s an easy way to assess your child’s health and make sure their little bodies are happy and healthy!

Poonam Srivastava July 15, 2015 at 7:02 am

I’VE shared it too!

People are so funny around poop. Like kids. But for me, this is first line in owning your own health.

I am a Reiki practitioner/teacher. So I don’t mind going out on the ledge. Good on all us poop watchers. It’s what binds us together!

susan April 3, 2014 at 4:46 pm

So glad to see you guys addressing incomplete poops…one of the hallmarks of IBS…especially IBS-C. Could you please comment back on this: I may have to go 1-4 times/day, but sometimes my colon ‘wrenches up’…like there is a charleyhorse in it. The poop is there, but the colon spasms and will not move it along. Gets tough to eat, because you feel very backed up, gassy, full and in pain. and…In many that have IBS-C, fat exacerbates this rather than helping it. I eat clean, take probiotics, recently had a pretty normal stool sample test and am taking enzymes for commensal bacteria found. Would love to hear what you have to say. THANKS! and best to you for you continued good work and success.

Rhi May 8, 2014 at 2:35 am

I’m no expert, but maybe a squatty potty would help you out. I own one. It elevates your feet so that you are in a more natural squatting position, which helps your lower digestive (pooping muscles) relax and work more effectively. There is a really good (not graphic) video on youtube and you can buy the product on Amazon. Here’s the video link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYcv6odWfTM

Good Luck Susan!
Rhi

Stephanie Hawkins June 18, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Omgoodness this is me all the way. Sometimes i go 4 days without pooping. I have IBS-C, auto immune disease, mental issues….blah blah blah you name it I feel it. Been living like this since I was 15, I’m now 38 . Its exhausting and controls my life. I had it under the most control last year thru Paleo diet and crossfit. I had never felt better. However, I allowed work stress and excuses to take over and I’m back where I started two years ago. I want to get back on track but struggle to make ‘today the day’ I change. If I poop once a day its a magical day. I know this is not a response to your question to the experts, its nice to know I’m not alone in this struggle.

Selina April 3, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Hi there but I was wondering should a healthy poop sink or float??!!!!

Amy April 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Is it normal to have type 1 some days and type 4 some days?
Thanks!

Gina Catalano April 4, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I’m almost to week 4 of Phase 1 Tough Case and I was constipated for the first week. I was advised to take CALM magnesium to soften the poop and now I go about every other day but it varies between a 6 and 7. I had stopped taking Betaine HCl because I was taking Aleve and Tylenol 3 times a day to manage the RA pain and swelling. I am now almost symptom free except when I introduced pears and then zucchinis. It takes about three days for the symptoms to go away. I’m a bit concerned about my poops and went back to Bitters when I began experiencing indigestion a few days ago and gas symptoms after each meal (I don’t think it’s heatburn, but it feels like air is stuck right under my sternum.
Should I be concerned? Is it common to react to pears and zucchini? I’m supposed to introduce apples and I’m a bit nervous….

D.Kay April 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm

How about poop that is so soft and smooth that is sticks to the bowl? Isn’t that the ‘tarry’ poop we hear about? What does that indicate?? Also have indigestion mentioned in last comment with gas symptoms after meals (like air stuck under sternum) and at times alot of burping.

Deb April 4, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I was wondering about floating poop also. Mine seldom sink and are usually a 4.

Thanks!

Peace June 14, 2014 at 3:40 pm

OMG the low carb for too long rings true for me, before Paleo I went on the restrictive anti-yeast diet then gluten free, all three restrictive carb diets, no wonder I crave pasta :0
My diet is too restrictive and so is my bowel!
Where is the constricted HB pencil on the stool chart???
Hmmm….my hormones are unbalanced, I’m an emotional mess, insomnia and no NRG!
I thot my cortisol is low and my adrenals crashed, can this be fixed by adding carbs and salt?
The salt deprivation rings true, as does the fat deprivation.
I have to re-train myself to eat properly now that I’m somewhat gut healed I guess, this trial and error process is exhausting and complicated.
I did manage to go from IBS alternating to IBS-C though, IBD still inflammation but not ulcerated,no pain or gas during my lengthy remissions, no meds all diet.

leslie August 12, 2014 at 11:12 pm

WHAT causes “mucousy looking” poop….? I’m an artist who works with natural clays and worry about parasites from invisible eggs…My doctor said she wouldn’t worry if I have no intestinal distress, but….

albert August 16, 2014 at 11:52 pm

I CANT POOP, I POOP ONCE MAYBE 3 TIMES A MONTH, 5 ON A GOOD ONE. I NEVER GET CRAMPS OR PAINS SO ITS NOT LIKE IM CONSTIPATED AND JUST AM NOT GOING. MY DOCTOR SAYS NOTHING IS WRONG WITH ME AND THAT ALL MY LEVELS ARE GOOD. ON THE CHART I WASNT CONSTIPATED OR ANYTHING WHEN I DO POOP ITS SNAKE LIKE SO WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME. MY DIET IS HEALTHY I DRINK A LOT OF WATER AND SUCH AND IM NOT FAT SO I DONT THINK ITS ALL STUCK IN THERE… MY THEORY IS I MAY HAVE A REALLY ACIDIC STOMACH AND IT JUST GETS WASHED DOWN WITH MY URINE BC I PEE A LOT BUT STILL IVE BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE I CAN REMEMBER AND WELL I JUST WANT TO POOP EVERYDAY..and be normal

HELP ME FIX MY POOP

Brent Kovacs August 18, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Hi Albert, thanks for reaching out! In many cases, the first step comes down to a matter of figuring out the proper definition for your situation. Steve addresses constipation in depth in this blog post and what can be done to help turn things around: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/10/4-common-signs-of-constipation/

andrew August 19, 2014 at 5:03 pm

HELP PLEASE!!!!

i changed my diet to include alot more healthy foods, im even eating less meat and drinking ungodly amounts of water. I took activia for 2 weeks (the cup said to take for only two weeks) and in the first week and a half my poop went from a type 2 to a type 4. But then it started to deteriorate back to a type 2 over the next 3 days. Im still pooping everyday, buts its very hard now, and i went from pooping in the mornings to pooping at random points in the day. This is the second time ive changed my diet and its the same result. Everything works well at first but then i get constipated again. I have no idea what to do. Also i never seem to let it all out when i go. Theres always some left over. Can anybody help me out??

Brent Kovacs August 20, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Hi Andrew, we suggest starting SCD from the intro diet and giving it at least 30 days to see how you feel. Two really key supplements to consider as well are digestive enzymes and betaine hcl. They can literally be a light switch for turning around GI problems.

Alisha Ivey August 20, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Ok I have been having a bad problem and don’t have Insurance to go the doctor I have been pooping all day for two weeks and before that I didn’t poop for a month i normally only poop 3-4 times a week I haven’t changed my diet at all my poop has been 5-7 after I pooped the first two times from not going for a month and the first two times it was 1-3 all I know is I don’t like this at all my in a mad mood all the time my stomach is in pain please help

Steven Wright August 24, 2014 at 12:18 am

Hey Alisha – It’s a good idea to have a doctor who gets it on your side. In the meantime keep reading on this site. Get our free quick start guide and some digestive enzymes and you’ll be well on your way to easing the pain.

kristy September 3, 2014 at 5:58 pm

i no my poop is not normal at all i dont have insurance
ive just started like 3 months ago taking high blood pressure medication
paying for that and not to mention over the contours diarrhea medication ive been having it for over a month now first thing in the morning i changed to decaf coffee and still right away diarrhea
in the late afternoon diarrhea sometimes 3 times a day
is there anything else i can do to get ride of this not sure if the medication is doing this to me but my blood pressure is down now this is happening it is a little irrating being i have kids to take care of so
is there a answer on how to get back to a regulr poop i no my die is off wack too :-)
but im trying

Brent Kovacs September 4, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi Kristy,

Thanks for reaching out! We recommend starting SCD and giving it at least 30 days and see how you feel. You can find our book here: http://scdlifestylebook.com. Also, it would be a good idea to remove coffee completely until you know for sure you’re not reacting to it and much healing has occurred.

Rob P September 4, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Okay I have been pooping 5-8 times a day every time is diarrhea for 5 days straight. I get stomach pain then have to go even waking up in the middle of the night. I have been eating healthy since the second day. Please let me know what I can do that isn’t expensive. I need help fast.

Jordan Reasoner September 5, 2014 at 9:16 am

HI Rob, thanks for reaching out today! Please try some digestive enzymes as well as remove any trigger foods from your diet. Here is a great article: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/06/stop-diarrhea-fast/

Rob P September 5, 2014 at 11:10 am

Thank you! I ordered Enzynes and Probiotic

kaytlyn September 8, 2014 at 1:27 am

Hi have an issue,I used to have regular bowel movements once daily until I had my son via c-section. I now have bowel movements like #6-#7 after every meal and I have horrible gas/stomach pain before and after this is really bothering me and I feel somethings wrong. Do you think I should seek medical attention from a health care provider of mine?

kaytlyn September 8, 2014 at 1:28 am

I also found out since I’ve had my son that I have ovarian cysts could this be linked with my issue

Lori Jo Berg September 9, 2014 at 6:09 pm

HI Kaytlyn, thank you for reaching out! It is always a good idea to find a practitioner you trust to oversee your medical concerns and decisions. If you are in need of one, you can find one here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/ You can also try one of our programs, as they will help you address these issues you have mentioned.

Zara October 9, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Hi is it normal to poop everyday? My poops are like type 4 had it now for about two weeks? I’m doing more exsurses now and also using cergem beds? Hater I poop my bum is really ichy :/ and feels like I need to go for poop again what cud this be please?

Lori Jo Berg October 13, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Hi Zara, thank you for reaching out! Yes, it is normal and healthy to poop each day, as this is one of the ways our bodies detoxes it’s self. If you feel you are not all the way done when you have had a bowel movement, this is a sign of constipation as well and we suggest you adapt a new diet, as well as a constipation protocol such as the one in our program here: http://healthygut.solvingleakygut.com/

allie October 20, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Hey so I poop like every 2-3 days, but on the days I do poop, it is every time I sit down on the toilet, which is at least five times a day, what is wrong with me

Lori Jo Berg October 22, 2014 at 7:25 am

Hi Allie, thank you for reaching out! This is a sign of constipation and we do suggest getting on a program such as the SCD diet to address the issue, as diet, supplements, and lifestyle changes are all part of the solution.

Kristi October 25, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hi, #4 is what my poop looks like but it sinks. Is it supposed to sink or float?

Lori Jo Berg October 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Hi Kristi, thank you for reaching out! Your poop should sink to the bottom of the toilet.

Jen November 20, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Hi, I am glad someone wrote about this. I poop every day, 3-5 times a day on a normal day, when I’m having a bad day, 5-10!!!! There are even days when i will have a range of poop in the same hour!! I will be constipated one minute, like #2 or 3 then once i get it out, then its Diarrhea!! The fact that I am constantly going and I am overweight is extremely concerning to me. Can some one please give me an opinion on this? Thank you!!

Lori Jo Berg November 21, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Hi Jen, thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you need to adapt to a new diet, such as the SCD diet. There are many tools you can use to have healthy bowel movements, and this quick start guide is a great start: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Aahmad November 24, 2014 at 3:01 am

Hi and thanks for this wonderful website.
I did not have any stomach and bowel problem before, but from last year after a 4 day period of pain and black stool it began. After that after 5 months I go to doctor for bowel problem and the problem was that my stool got very soft and shiny and I didn’t fell empty any time after going to toilet. I did a stool examination came back normal but a positive Helicobacter pylori but doctor didn’t give me meds except Bismuth. And now after about 4 months I came up with low grade pain in stomach and soft stool again I go and see another doctor he gave me meds to cure helico. I have to mention that I had 4 or 5 periods of acid reflux since last year too.
My stool is very soft but no watery at all, It comes out as soon as I sit on the toilet it looks like number 4 in bristol chart but I dont feel empty many times even after I took bismuth it is still very soft. I go to toilet once or twice every day.
Is my body normal? what’s my problem?

Lori Jo Berg November 24, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Hi Aahmad, thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you need to adapt to a new diet, such as the SCD diet, and possible get some more stool testing done. It would be best to change your diet first and see how you feel while doing that. You can start with our free quick start guide on scdlifestyle.com if you are interested.

rachel November 29, 2014 at 12:56 am

Help! I only poop once every 2-3 days! What does this indicate? And I’m only 13 years old!

Lori Jo Berg December 1, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hi Rachel, thank you for reaching out! Your bowels are not moving properly and you certainly need to look into some diet and lifestyle changes. Please go here for more information and to take the quiz:
solvingleakygut.com

dev raj roy January 7, 2015 at 12:43 am

Hi m dev last 2 years m felling embrassing.becoz m nt fit my poops are not good.m goes to toilet3 4time a day n poops look like a snake n soft sometime stomach pain also.pls help me

Lori Jo Berg January 11, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Hi Dev Raj Roy, thanks for reaching out. The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Aadam December 13, 2014 at 5:15 am

Good article and helpful information. Thank you for sharing this to us. Thank you so much.

Kit December 20, 2014 at 8:54 am

Question!!

For the past 2 weeks I notice that every time I poop, it floats. Every. TIME! I removed dairy from my diet, perhaps there was too much gas, but nothing. Sometimes my stool leaves marks on the toilet bowl when I flush. I am concerned that I am suffering from malabsorbtion? Celiac? I don’t know what I can do to help improve this.. (I should note, that I was on a string of antibiotics for 2.5 weeks prior to this issue, I don’t know if that is related. Also, as far as my energy levels, I feel fine. Just one day I went #2, and it floated, and it hasn’t stopped.)

Lori Jo Berg December 22, 2014 at 11:05 am

Hi Kit, thank you for reaching out! It sounds like you need a complete approach to address these issues, and we highly suggest looking into our Solving Leaky Gut program found here: solvingleakygut.com

Marisa December 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm

My stool is a usually a 6. I have been diagnosed with leaky gut and on a glutten free diet but still have horrible heart burn. I only go once or twice a day but stool is never a 4. I have been on Premier Brand HCL and HCL activator but I don’t think it’s helping. I am working with a doctor but just not seeing the results. I keep losing weight and am very frustrated. I have a similar story to Kit’s. was on 3 rounds of antibiotics but I am extremely fatigued and as told I have weak or fatigued adrenals. So frustrated and want to gain weight back and enjoy eating again.

Lori Jo Berg December 26, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Hi Marisa, thank you for reaching out! we know it can be frustrating at times, but we encourage you to stick with it, tweak the diet as needed for your specific needs, and continue to fight for your health.

Marisa December 30, 2014 at 6:56 am

Thank you for responding. Is there anything I can do to put weight back on? My weight is dropping to much and I am beginning to look anorexic.

Lori Jo Berg December 30, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hi Marisa, thanks for reaching out! This article may be helpful for you: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/04/5-real-food-weight-gain-shakes-paleo-scd/
Also, please remember that calories are not restricted on the SCD diet and spoonfuls of coconut oil is a great way to get more calories.

tabitha graves December 28, 2014 at 2:00 am

i was woundering if anyone could tell me what going on with me im not sure i have been having stomack pains alot but once i go sit on toliet and poop i feel better.also here within this year i started feeling nasua off and on when get stomack pain.

Lori Jo Berg December 30, 2014 at 7:34 pm

HI Tabitha, thanks for reaching out1 IT is hard to say what may be going on with out a full health history, but my best suggestion is to change your diet by starting on the SCD diet with our free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

sam January 16, 2015 at 7:19 am

morning right after I poop again I HV to poop. no matter how patiently I sit the first time I ll end up in bathroom just within five minutes. it’s not affecting my health in any way. but I d like to do it 1-2 times a day like a regular person. please help

Lori Jo Berg January 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Hi Sam, thanks for reaching out! This is a sign of constipation and we suggest adapting to a new diet such as the SCD diet or our Solving leaky gut diet, which is more comprehensive and will have a specific protocol for constipation: solvingleakygut.com

Alisha January 16, 2015 at 7:33 am

Usually I poop around 1 time a day but recently I’ve been pooping 3-4 times a day and small amounts. My poop is like type 4. And I feel empty after pooping. But I get a mild abdominal pain just before I poop. Is it fine or should I consult a doctor?

Lori Jo Berg January 16, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Hi Alisha, thanks for reaching out! It would be best to start paying attention to your diet to try and pin point any problematic foods. If you are looking for some guidance, please see our effective meal plans here: http://scdlifestyle.com/meal-plans/

sasa February 6, 2015 at 3:05 pm

For all of you with runny stool 4-6 times a day that someone told you you have IBS, check for BLASTO and Gardia most commonly misdiagnosed condition. Over 40 MILLION Americans have some form of infection and they were told that they have IBS.

Susan February 13, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I can go weeks without pooping until I feel sick I then take pills to go

Lori Jo Berg February 16, 2015 at 10:40 am

Hi Susan, thanks for reaching out! IT sounds like you need to address your diet first and we highly suggest reading more here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real-food-tips-constipation/

Heather-Ann February 21, 2015 at 10:13 pm

I poop once…every two-six days…not quite sure what to change for it to get better. I havent had bowel movements daily for as long as i remember though

Lori Jo Berg February 23, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hi Heather-Ann, thanks for reaching out! We suggest starting with dietary changes and the best place to start is with our Free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

From here, we highly recommend following the directions in the eBook for best results: http://scdlifestylebook.com/ Also, you can read several more articles on constipation here: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/constipation/

Mollie February 25, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Can someone help me? I usually go 2 or 3 days without pooping. Lately my poop has been looking like number 5. I go about 2 times a day. I’m really worried!!

Lori Jo Berg February 25, 2015 at 9:19 pm

Hi Mollie, thanks for reaching out! We suggest starting by addressing your diet with our free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/ Also, this article would be a great one to review as well: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real-food-tips-constipation/

vil March 1, 2015 at 12:34 am

Hi All,

Sometimes after i eat certain foods (yet to diagnose) I have diarrhoea almost straightt away, sometimes i have bright red blood in the toilet bowl and on my toilet paper and don’t feel ’emptied’ Should i be worried?

Thanks

Lori Jo Berg March 11, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Thank you for reaching out! We are truly grateful for the opportunity to connect with you. We suggest consulting iwth your doctor if you are worried in any way about your symptoms.
The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Cathy March 2, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Ok so i poop between 4 and 8 times a day and my poop changes with each time i go it will change in color and consistency. I eat and with in hours poop my food out to where I can see what I have eaten. I go from total diarrhea to tiny Peeples and it’s always a feeling of incomplete. Like I’m not finished yet.. 2 months ago I had a severe episode of rectal bleeding and I am currently working with Doctors to figure out why. My blood work showed mildly high ALT liver enzymes so now I must see a gastrologist! I have severe bought of pain in my stomach but they don’t last long and a few times it was so bad I almost passed out cause the pain got so bad.. help

Lori Jo Berg March 11, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Hi Cathy, thanks for reaching out! The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Jerrett Snyder March 10, 2015 at 3:33 pm

PPPPPPPPPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Dodo March 19, 2015 at 6:39 am

Hi, I’m on a GM diet and did n’t see poop for the past 4 days, is’t normal ?

Lori Jo Berg March 19, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Hi- Any time we see something like this it certainly is not normal. The SCD diet has helped many people not only with diarrhea, but with constipation as well. We suggest starting by addressing your diet with our free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/
Also, please read the following article on constipation, as it can be very helpful on your journey: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real-food-tips-constipation/
We also have an entire section of constipation related articles on our site, and these can be found here: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/constipation/

karthik March 26, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Hi recent days i am pooping 3 to 4 times a day, some times stool some times solid ,doctor say it as ulcer, is that could be that case or something worse more?

Lori Jo Berg March 27, 2015 at 10:28 am

Hi Karthik, thanks for reaching out! It is hard to say what is causing it, but we suggest starting with dietary changes first and going from there: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

drew April 8, 2015 at 11:16 am

I have experienced a VERY fast throughput ever since I was a kid. My body works much faster than most as far as I can tell. For example, if I eat a salad that doesn’t agree with me, it will pass through me in a very short time. Sometimes in about 6-8 hours or so. The majority of the time however, I’ve had 1-3 evacuations per day and all type 4 and very long. I’m tall however and height/ wt prop. I’d estimate them to be about 12-20 inches long, not too firm, and not too soft. The size however is what concerns me, as there is often times where I’ll have 3 of these monsters a day and yes they do make me feel better afterwards, but I really don’t recall eating all that food sometimes!!? Is it normal to have the size and length that I have routinely? I honestly only eat two normal size meals a day, but eliminate 3 x regularly. Also, I have noticed that my time from eating to eliminating is never more than 20 hours. ( can tell by the food and the resulting poo that it was what I had. That seems to be just a very fast course of evacuation when the average is about 8-12 hours from time to eat, to out the exit.

Lori Jo Berg April 9, 2015 at 9:55 am

Hi Drew, thanks for reaching out. The best place to start is by adjusting your diet to see if this makes a difference. What is of most importance in your situation is the quality of the stool. http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Rose April 18, 2015 at 3:37 am

My right side feels like my lower back hurts in my belly stays bloated especially after I eat .. What foods should I eat I love fruits and I like veggies .. I don’t eat meat a lot guess you can say I’m carbohydrate eat’er ????

Lori Jo Berg April 21, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Hi Rose, the best place to start to change your diet is here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Randy April 19, 2015 at 2:25 am

hi my name is Randy and my diet varies. I often go weeks without eating more than one meal a day because of my busy schedule it’s hard for me to find time for meal. My poop well when I do poop looks like #1 , the first picture on the chart sometimes when I drink in excess. it goes back to normal should I be worried

Lori Jo Berg April 21, 2015 at 2:31 pm

If you are at all worried or do not feel your best, it would be a great idea to adapt a new diet such as the SCD diet or something similar.

Kaunda April 25, 2015 at 7:54 am

Hey I’ve always pooped irregularly. Three times in a month. Right before my periods, right after my periods and any other day. What could be the matter?

Lori Jo Berg April 26, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Hi Kaundra, The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

matt May 7, 2015 at 6:08 pm

I go like 2-3 times a week. Sometimes it is a #3-4, but this week it is a #5-6. I don’t know what the problem is. I don’t know if it is what I’m eating or what. But I’m healthy but for the past 2 days I get an upset stomach at random times during the day, and sit on the toilet and have a #6. And sometimes I know I’m not finished, but nothing else will come out. That’s usually every time I go.

Lori Jo Berg May 8, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Hi Matt, thanks for reaching out. The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Anthony May 12, 2015 at 9:25 pm

My whole life I’ve had type 4 until about 2 months ago. I’ve experienced constipation /type 1 stools which lead to hemmroids. I got a colonoscopy and everything came back normal besides the hemmroids. I tried to get everything back to normal after the procedure but my stools still came out very long and large and with pieces of hard stools that were difficult to pass, this has made the hemmroids worse. What do you recommend for someone who has large stools and can’t seem to get rid of the harder ones ?

Lori Jo Berg May 13, 2015 at 3:31 pm

HI Anthony, we suggest starting by addressing your diet and this is a great place to start: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

YLinn May 14, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I seem to go all the time, after evey meal! Some tell me it’s normal, others say it’s not healthy! I need some help. Certain foods trigger me to go poop, just prepared food, spicy foods, dairy, chocolate, you name it, it pretty much makes me go. What should I do?

Lori Jo Berg May 17, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Hi YLinn, The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

nick May 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I have been having # 3/4 all the time for the last 3 years. A few times a month i will pass a log nearly 1 foot long and 2 or 3 inches thick. Often it nearly kills me. I need help. Making changes. Thanks!

Lori Jo Berg May 18, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Hi Nick, The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Danny M. May 22, 2015 at 2:44 am

Hi, my poop is coming out like number six. I’m going a few times a day for example I’ll get random stomach cramps and have to run to the bathroom and it alway comes out like the picture. Any ideas/advise?

Lori Jo Berg May 22, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Hi Danny, The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

Annette Zabala May 31, 2015 at 6:43 pm

I poop everytime i eat or drink something is that ok for me to keep doing that everyday or no. Mains was typ 3 and 7 and it’s all the time.

Lori Jo Berg May 31, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Hi Annette, it is hard to say what is going on, but we suggest addressing your dietary needs as a great first start. Typically, 1-2 bowel movements per day is optimal. If you are interested in addressing this issue, please start here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Jean June 1, 2015 at 4:50 pm

My husband always has poop that floats, he is regular and it looks like a #3-4 type. What does that mean? What is wrong or lacking?

Lori Jo Berg June 7, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Hi Jean, floating stools can point to possible malabsorption issues, increased gas with in the stool, and a possible gut infection. We encourage you to have your husband address his diet right away, as this would be a great starting point: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

AimeeD June 2, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I had extremely bad diarrhea about two weeks ago, to the point I didn’t make it to the bathroom (I think this was anxiety related), and it was the first time that had ever happened to me. But ever since I find myself going about 4-5 times a day instead of my normal twice; and it’s always a 6-7 on the chart- although my poop varies through the whole chart depending on how well I eat (I work different shift patterns), I don’t think I’ve had a healthy 4 for a couple of months now.

I don’t eat “rubbish” as such, but I don’t have a vary varied died. I eat a lot of chicken, pasta, white bread, eggs, cheese, vegetables, bacon.. And I do take a lot of fizzy drink and some alcohol. I don’t really eat much red meat and I don’t like fruit although I have tried to eat a banana each day over the last two weeks because I was told the high fibre would help but it just seems to be worse. I have also in the past few months started drinking coconut water, I drink a glass each day, could this be making it worse as opposed to better?

Lori Jo Berg June 2, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Hi Aimee, I see several things that could be causing these issues for you and it would be a great idea to adapat to the SCD diet or something similar. The best place to start is here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

zain June 5, 2015 at 11:52 am

I poop 2 times a day, it is fine in the beginning but it become like type 6 after some seconds. Sometimes all of it is like type 6 .. But i dont poop more then 2 times. I do it when i get up in the morning and before going to bed. I have tried many antibiotics that doctor gave me. But haven’t felt better. I am continuously losing weight. My height is 6’1 and my weight is 61 kg. Plz help me.

Lori Jo Berg June 7, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Hello, Zain thanks for taking the time to reach out today. It sounds like you need to address your diet first as well as the after affects of taking the antibiotics you have mentioned. It would be a great starting point for you to jump into the SCD diet or something similar sooner than later and you can begin here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Patti June 7, 2015 at 6:58 am

Hi- my doc said to take Imodium so I do this daily. I had a stroke (corated artery) 2 years ago, I take Lipitor and metformin. Also thyroxine tabs 88 mg, paroxetine, and propranolol. I think my meds are doin it to me but which one? I also hear that neurological issues could effect my poop. Help my poop is controlling my life and I poop my pants sometimes 2x a day. I am 58. I run to the bathroom all the time. I hate this!!!

Lori Jo Berg June 9, 2015 at 10:07 am

Hi Patti, we highly encourage you to speak with your doctor about the medications you are on and other possible options there, as we can not give you medical advice. Secondly, addressing your diet is gong to be vital to regaining your health and we encourage you to start here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Sam June 9, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I have type four but they’re biggens and they happen atleast twice a day and we’re talking the size of my forearm… At first I thought it was normal but one day I forgot to flush and my mum came across one of these monsters and said I better get it checked.. I’ve been to see my gp and he said it was normal but if he saw them in sure he would see that they are far from normal
Please help me

Mariel Heiss June 11, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hi Sam, thanks for reaching out. It’s great that you’ve spoken to your doctor about your concerns. Our Solving Leaky Gut program addresses the root causes of your digestive troubles to heal your entire digestive system. I recommend you take this quiz as the next step: http://solvingleakygut.com/myquiz/

Dan June 17, 2015 at 1:00 am

Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always had some sort of poop problem

First and foremost, I don’t go everyday. I’m definitely in the 1-3 day range. I’ve had times where I go Friday morning, and don’t go again until Sunday night.

Also, I find that many times that I’m either a 3 or 5 on the chart. I prefer 3, because it never hurts, and the mess is minimal. Sometimes there is a little blood. 4 is disgusting though…. the mess requires up to 10 wipes, and most of it doesn’t come out. I gotta come back a few hours later and wipe again.

Solutions? All I hear is diet diet diet, which I get. But still, is this common?

k June 18, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I poop about twice a week. Its always either diarrhea or severe constipation there is always blood when it’s hard. My belly hurts every time I go and will throb for at least an hour after. There’s colon cancer in my family but I am terrified of needles and don’t feel comfortable having anyone near my private areas. Is there a way of getting tested with out being probed?

Rachel June 21, 2015 at 5:22 am

I usually poop every morning as soon as I wake up. My poops are always a 4, unless I’ve eaten dairy by accident. (Lactose intolerant)
Some mornings there is a lot of poop. So it takes 10-15 mins. I start pooping almost immediately after sitting on the toilet, so no waiting or anything. I’m not straining to eliminate it. It just keeps coming and coming. Other mornings it only takes a few mins. This is my normal routine. my husband is concerned that something is wrong cause I was actually in the act of pooping for so long. It’s not like I was sitting there waiting for things to start. They started fine, and just kept going for a while. But it was normal texture and consistency. Like the perfect #4.

Kelly June 22, 2015 at 8:26 am

So I poop a lot as soon as I wake up. At least 3 times before I even have breakfast. Is this normal? I heard it may be because of late night eating but I don’t eat late that much. Every now and then I’ll have a bowl of cereal but that’s about it. I’d say I’m a 5.

Joy July 3, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I have to poop every 15-60 minutes and have for several days now. It is closest to #4&5 on the quiz above but at times when I go it’s like my body is trying to push something out that isn’t there. Similar to dry heaving. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Lori Jo Berg July 7, 2015 at 9:37 am

Hi joy, this can be a sign of constipation and we suggest reading this article here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/07/real-food-tips-constipation/ As the article states, addressing your dietary needs is imperative and a great place to start is here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

Araxia July 4, 2015 at 4:11 am

Hi,
I’m #5 and I go 2,3 times to the bathroom daily. Depend in what I’m eating. If it’s from out side it effects and if not I normally went 2 times. I got hemorrhoid from 3 days and it’s very painful. I want to know if I need to go to the doctor or not? Now I feel better. But my problem is the shape of my stool. Is that okay or not?

Lori Jo Berg July 7, 2015 at 9:35 am

Hi Araxia, thanks for reaching out to us. It sounds like you need to address your gut issues by starting with dietary changes first. A great place to start is here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/ Please email us at support@scdlifestyle.com if you feel you need further assistance.

cent July 4, 2015 at 7:27 am

hi I poop three times every morning at around 6 to 9am b4 I can feel comfortable nd each time I tak lomotea nd flygin nt go poop up to three times I start feeling little headache till I force my self to poop I ll nt b OK pls Wt do I do I can’t continue to poop three times in d morning I no is nt right DT way

Mariel Heiss July 7, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Hi Cent, I’m really sorry you’re going through this hard time. In our experience 2-3 bowel movements a day can be perfectly normal and healthy. If you feel that this is unhealthy for you, we recommend you consult with your doctor.

jessica July 8, 2015 at 1:14 am

Hi so I’ve been having a problem for a year now my poop has been very watery and I accidently poop myself at times and not even feel that I gotta poop . It just comes out.. please help idk what I need to do to change this ..

Mariel Heiss July 8, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Hi Jessica, I’m sorry you’re experiencing this :( We recommend you see your doctor about this problem if you haven’t yet. You may also want to check out these resources as a next step: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/diarrhea-2/

anonymous July 9, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Hello,
I am 20 years old and I have IBS, I go to the bathroom everyday and always have a BM. Sometimes it will be pencil thin and then other times it is normal. I do not drink water,just mostly soda and my diet is greasy foods and junk. I do not have pain or anything. Could my poor diet be the cause?

Mariel Heiss July 9, 2015 at 2:13 pm

In our experience, changing your diet is the foundation of improving your digestive health and healing your gut. We recommend you sign up for one of our free webinars to learn more about what changes you can make in your diet and lifestyle to heal your gut including specific anti-inflammatory foods to eat (and not eat) to stop suffering: http://solvingleakygut.com/webinar/live/ We hope to see you at the webinar!

Lexi July 10, 2015 at 10:17 am

Hi,
I have a #6 poop and before I use the stool it hurts very badly. I don’t know if its gas or what. I use the stool 5+ times a day and I can’t hold it in very long. Please help

Mariel Heiss July 10, 2015 at 11:40 am

Hi Lexi, thanks for reaching our to us. I’m sorry you’re going through this difficult time. You might want to check out this article on what can cause diarrhea: http://scdlifestyle.com/2014/12/12-common-causes-of-diarrhea/ Our Solving Leaky Gut program has helped many people who have diarrhea, and has a diarrhea protocol built in. You can learn more by taking signing up for a free webinar here: http://solvingleakygut.com/webinar/live/

Bailey July 12, 2015 at 9:51 am

Wow my husband kept telling me something was wrong with me and I just figured it’s always something I eat. But I have had problems for years now. With my schedule revolving around my poop I can’t go anywhere that doesn’t have a bathroom. For instance in the last 2 hours I have gone #7, 4 times. : / usually I will go 3-5 times in the morning and another 3-5 times at night. Always a 6 or 7. I need to get a diet plan started to stop this!

Mariel Heiss July 13, 2015 at 11:56 am

Hi Bailey, we’re so glad you reached out to us! Based on what you’ve written, I think our Solving Leaky Gut plan could be a great program for you. The best place to start is by taking the personalized quiz, which will help you sort through some of your issues and give you direction: http://solvingleakygut.com/myquiz/

We also highly recommend you register for one of our (totally free) Solving Leaky Gut Webinars, where the following will be addressed and much more:

-Why your digestion is often the root cause behind problems like brain fog, bad skin, hormone problems, food sensitivities, autoimmunity, and more

-Your top digestive risk factor – what it means and how to fix it

-The 19 triggers that poke holes in your gut wall

-The 3 step process to rebuilding your gut

-Specific anti-inflammatory foods to eat (and not eat) to stop suffering

-2 game-changing supplements that can fix your digestive complaints tomorrow

Link to register: http://solvingleakygut.com/webinar/live/

Brandon July 18, 2015 at 8:41 am

Ok for 3 weeks I have been having weird pain in my lower back and abdomen with aches through my groin area. I have had acid reflux for years and always had stomach problems where I go to the bathroom about 30 minutes after I eat. Usually a 5-7. I had a blood test and urinalysis done, all normal. GI put me on a low FODMAP diet and some dexilant. Now for 3 days Poo is closer to a 4 but it doesn’t seem like there’s enough compared to how much I eat. Yesterday a couple times it was just gas with a little mucus. And I feel an ache in my lower back like I need to go, but when I do it’s not hard like constipation. GI says I may have had some type of infection that’s getting better and a touch of IBS. Does this sound right? I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago and it came back clean. Scheduled for another one and a CT scan, also an upper GI soon. Nervouse. Does this sound like IBS to you? Thanks

Mariel Heiss July 21, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Hi Brandon, thanks so much for reaching out to us. We aren’t doctors and can’t make any diagnoses. We’re glad to hear you’re consulting your doctor regarding these symptoms.

After reading your history and questions, it sounds like you need a comprehensive program that will address diet, lifestyle, supplements, and root causes. Again, we aren’t able to make any sort of diagnosis and we recommend you continue consulting with your doctor :)

We also highly recommend you register for one of our free Solving Leaky Gut Webinars, where the following will be addressed and much more:

-Your top digestive risk factor – what it means and how to fix it

-The 19 triggers that poke holes in your gut wall

-The 3 step process to rebuilding your gut

-Specific anti-inflammatory foods to eat (and not eat) to stop suffering

-2 game-changing supplements that can fix your digestive complaints tomorrow

Link to register: http://solvingleakygut.com/webinar/live/

I hope this helps! Please reach out to us if you need more support :support@scdlifestyle.com

Angela July 20, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Very confused here. I been eating 80% veggies and fruits and 20% protein.
I feel so much better, sleep better, the fogginess has left my head, I’m 49 overweight and lost 22pounds so far doing this. I’m never hungry and not bored of this diet yet. I eat almonds as a snack or fruits and only use coconut oil or olive oil, YET everything I read about the changes in my poop point to bad things?
I never went daily until now.
I suffered all my life from constipation until now yet according to what I’m reading my stool indicated malabsorption and is in floating pieces.
I believed eating right would change my stool but what I reading isn’t good
ALSO— I’m combining the proper foods with each other, eating melon all by itself, waiting for proper digestion time after each meal…. So why is the stool saying I’m not pooping right for the way I’m eating?
No sugar no dairy no snacks no fried food no red meat no bread of any kind no rice no white potatoes — sweet potatoes instead avacados everyday (1/2) salad spinach every day — what’s wrong with this picture ?

Mariel Heiss July 21, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Hi Angela, thanks for commenting!

It sounds like you’re feeling much better since you changed your diet and that your constipation has improved. If you’re worried about malabsorption or floating stool, you might consider HCL Betaine or digestive enzymes. You can learn more here:

If you have more questions, you can always reach out to us at support@scdlifestyle.com, as well!

Terry Morfitt July 30, 2015 at 6:32 pm

THank u I try to talk about my poop n people look at me like I’m crazy. I’m 2-4 with break off floaters. Should I worry?

Toiletwacther.

Mariel Heiss July 30, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Hi Terry – number 4 is ideal and you should poop between 1-3 times per day easily with full evacuation. If this isn’t happening for you, try the suggestions in this article.

Toiletwatchers unite 😉

Jones July 30, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I have been pooping 3 times a day one time it’s normal next it’s runny and each time it’s got blood in it don’t know what to do please help

Mariel Heiss July 30, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Hi Jones, thanks for commenting. We’re really sorry you’re going through this hard time but we recommend you consult your doctor if you have blood in your stool.

Jae August 3, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I am more of a 5 most of the times and a 6. I do eat a lot of salads and drink a lot of water but I always seem like I cant pass gas or always constipated and bloated. Is this anything serious?

Mariel Heiss August 3, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Hi Jae, constipation and bloating can be unpleasant. Sometime they can be serious problems too. We recommend you consult your doctor and also see these resources for what to do to feel better: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/constipation/

Jenn August 3, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Hi pLease help me!! I have to poop right after I’m done eating, like every time, even sometimes during. I Get really bad stomach times during the moment and its always like a number 6 or 7. Every once in a while ill have a number 5. And it’s sad this takes away from my family time and it’s pretty embarrassing. Is there something wrong with me? I really don’t want to go to a butt doctor that would be awful I pretty much refuse to and just deal with my problem. Is it my stomach? My diet? Please help me!

Mariel Heiss August 3, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Hi Jen, we know talking about poop and gastrointestinal issues can be hard and embarrassing at first, but we do recommend you go see your doctor first (take the bristol stool chart with you, if that helps, to better describe your stool type). From there we recommend a program like the SCD diet, which can help narrow down which foods may be causing a problem for you. You can download the free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

rick August 5, 2015 at 7:03 pm

November of 2014 I was on the ER with what I thought was appendicitis come to find out I was constipated . I went to my doctor they put me on omeprazole for burning sensation in my stomach . Now everytime I eat I have to use the bathroom and I feel much better even tho I stopped taking the med they made me have bad indigestion . Is this normal to have stomach problems and then they pretty much go away on their own ? Also I have started back to the gym maybe 3 to 4 times a week .

Mariel Heiss August 5, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Hi Rick! Our bodies (especially our digestive systems) our incredible and complex and can be impacted both positively and negatively by a ton of factors. Regardless of what caused the change, we’re really happy you’re feeling better. Going the the gym sounds like it was a positive change, too!

Congrats! So glad you’re feeling much better :)

j Hunter August 5, 2015 at 9:59 pm

I’m a daily #4, it sinks, it is not hard but soft, but a lot of the time it Breaks loose and the last part won’t come on out….what do you think?

Mariel Heiss August 6, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Hi J Hunter – it sounds like you could take some steps to try and improve your poop. The best place to start is with our Free quick start guide here: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/ and with the tips in this article as well :)

We also recommend you keep your doctor informed about any hcnges you’re making in your health!

Ritzsin August 7, 2015 at 6:00 am

Hi my poop is typ 7 and i go 3-4 tym a day is it normal?

Mariel Heiss August 11, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Hi Ritzsin, thanks for commenting :)

It sounds like you might be experiencing some diarrhea. We recommend you check out these resources: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/diarrhea-2/

We also recommend you consult with your doctor about your symptoms, too.

Lee August 11, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I eat all the above regularly and have done consistently recently. I have regularly been around a 6 on the poop scale – I recently stopped eating breakfast (but would often eat breakfast food in the afternoon) and became a 4. On returning to breakfast eating, I enjoy it, for the last 5 days I have now returned to a 6. I vary breakfasts and sometimes eat porridge, yoghurt, eggs. Would you have any thoughts on this?

Mariel Heiss August 12, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Hi Lee, thanks for asking :) We definitely advise eating breakfast to support your body’s energy needs and the healing process. That being said, we would suggest you alter your diet to the SCD diet or something similar, as it seems you are eating some foods for breakfast that could be causing less than perfect stools. We suggest starting here with our Free quick start guide:

Beth August 13, 2015 at 11:37 am

I poop every day ,sometimes more but my poop is embarrassingly large ! Like over 12 inches long and fat ! Smooth with little to no cracks – is this ok ? I mean I am shocked they have been solarge

Mariel Heiss August 13, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Hi Beth! Thanks for reaching out :) From what you’re describing, it sounds like your poop is close to ideal (4 on the Bristol stool chart!) If you’re concerned about your poop, we recommend you consult with your doctor.

Samantha August 23, 2015 at 5:15 am

Hi I have a very serious question to ask of I poop maybe 1-2 times every week or so not only that but my poop is usually black mixed with an orange/brown color looking half and half and also after I eat anything I get severe pains in my lower part of my stomach and my poop is very difficult to push out it takes about 20 minutes to push it out while I also rip down there VERY PAINFUL! I have no insurance to see a doctor and I am not sure what else to do. To maybe get a more clearer answer I must tell you I am morbidly obese and I have an over eating disorder I eat more than I can probably digest.

Mariel Heiss August 25, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Hi Samantha, thanks so much for trusting us enough to reach out here!

First, we really recommend seeing a doctor first if you can to rule out any serious medical conditions that need treatment. This is always a good first step.

It sounds like you’re suffering from constipation – I recommend you check out the resources here: http://scdlifestyle.com/category/constipation/

Many people have complicated relationships with food, and overeating isn’t uncommon or anything to be ashamed of. It can be uncomfortable and frustrating, though. I really hope you’ll give this podcast a listen and maybe check out the Psychology of Eating website or podcast, too. I’ve found it incredibly insightful in my own journey: http://scdlifestyle.com/2015/07/the-unspoken-forces-of-food/

If you have more questions or need support, please email us anytime at support@scdlifestyle.com Samantha!

DEF August 23, 2015 at 11:08 pm

I feel blessed that I purge after every meal. My waste changes depending on what I eat. I started a 30 detox program and eat nothing but clean foods now. I’m starting my 4th week and my waste has consistently looked like #4. I feel great. I started my 17 year old daughter on the clean eating program as well. She suffers from Crohn’s. We are both enjoying our new journey.

Reece August 24, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Hi I have had problems pooping for a long time now go between 4 and ten times a day sometimes only minutes between each one but if a stay on the toilet nothing else comes along this happens most first thing in the morning, but throughout the day my stomach visibly shrinks and swells and when swollen I find it rather hard to eat I always suffer with right lower flank pain which I have been told is nutcracker syndrome a problem with my kidneys but the pain is worse when I have eaten or need the toilet can you please help I’m only 20 and this has been going on for years.

Mariel Heiss August 24, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Hi Reece, I’m so sorry to hear you’re struggling right now.

The SCD diet has helped many people in your same shoes regain their health.

On behalf of Steve and Jordan, and all of us at SCD Lifestyle, we really hope this information helps you on your journey to better health and you’re feeling much better soon!

debby August 25, 2015 at 10:32 am

Hi.v always been one who poops like 2 or 3 times daily,often after I’ve just eaten.I feel that my food doesn’t digest and is immediately excreted. I am not overweight and I’m quite glad,but I seem to have started losing weight,as I feel that food I take is not absorbed into my system. I consume a lot of calories,just to gain a little more weight,but this isn’t helping. My stomach is almost always bloated and I have to fart a lot. Do u think my lack of weight adding is typical of my body or my diet and poop methods are responsible? I think I need your help

Mariel Heiss August 25, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Hi Debby, thanks for commenting.

I’m so sorry you’re struggling right now.

I recommend you check out this article and consider an HCL supplement as well as digestive enzymes if you’re not digesting your food well (this can contribute to weight loss). http://scdlifestyle.com/2015/05/your-body-might-be-starving-for-protein/

We also recommend you consult with your doctor about any symptoms you’re experiencing as well, if you haven’t already.

debbi August 25, 2015 at 10:40 am

Hi. I think I need help. I find it hard to hold food in,and I often have to visit the toilet after eating. I also have bloated stomach and it makes it hard to eat and wear certain clothes. I sometimes feel pain in my belly and v had to use someone’s toilet because m pressed. I feel that my food doesn’t digest before I excrete. I think that this inhibits weight gain for me,but its becoming so bad,I’m beginning to lose weight and I’m starting to look anorexic. My poop ranges from snake solid to liquid. I often have to spend more than 15 minutes in the toilet. More importantly, my weight loss is becoming a concern to me. Do u suppose my weight loss is as a result of my diet or my body metabolism and its breakdown of food?

Mariel Heiss August 25, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Hi Debbi, thanks so much for reaching out to us.

First, we recommend you consult with your doctor about ny changes in your health.

You might be interested in this article: http://scdlifestyle.com/2015/05/your-body-might-be-starving-for-protein/

You might want to consider an HCL supplement as well as digestive enzymes, since you think your food isn’t being well digested,. You can learn more about those by following the links in the article. Some symptoms of low stomach acid are undigested food in the stool and weight loss.

I really hope this information helps, and that you’re feeling much better soon, Debbi. If you have any questions, please email us: support@scdlifestyle.com