3 Common Gut Infections (Found with the Right Stool Testing)

Close-up of microorganism

We’ve been talking about gut infections a lot lately. Why?

Because it’s the first place to look if you’ve done everything with diet and STILL don’t feel better.

Like 5 years ago, when I followed a STRICT diet of 7 foods and still struggled with diarrhea… until my stool test result came back with the words: “Strongyloides stercoralis

That’s the parasitic roundworm infection I had.

Once I treated the infection everything about my health changed. It’s almost like I’d been driving with one foot on the gas and one foot on the break the whole time, and now my health was going 100 mph toward a beautiful horizon.

The parasite was there the whole time, wreaking havoc on my gut and preventing me from fully healing. It was a big step in my healing journey… not the only one of course, but a huge leap forward.

And once we started working with 1-on-1 clients, I knew proper stool testing would be one of the most important steps toward helping our clients get healthy.

But All Stool Tests are Not Created Equal

Most of our 1-on-1 private clients require reliable stool testing. These people are doing everything right with diet, supplements, and lifestyle… but just like me, they struggle with lingering digestive problems that don’t add up. Worse yet, most of them have done stool testing in the past and the results were negative.

The truth is stool testing is really complex and challenging.

There’s no perfect stool test out there (yet)

I could go in-depth on the science of stool testing, but it comes down to this: there’s no perfect stool test out there… yet. Each has it’s own accuracy level, reliability, positives, negatives, etc. And the most important thing for our clients is to avoid a false negative. If there’s something there, we want to be able to find it.

Which is why for a long time we combined two stool test results together to get the most accurate picture of their gut health.

But the stool testing industry is changing a lot and so is our trust in labs. With everything in flux, the one constant stool test that continues to support our clients is from BioHealth (no affiliation).

The BioHealth #401H GI Pathogen Screen

This test uses advanced staining and antigen techniques to recover pathogens from 4 stool samples, with one sample taken each day.

Here’s 3 Case Studies of the most common GI Infections we’re seeing over and over again.

Of course, these are anonymous and any and all personal details have been removed for their privacy… but just seeing the results themselves is astonishing. I’ve shared these examples before, but I continue to see these over and over and over again so I think it’s important.

1) H. pylori: 57-year-old female with severe Ulcerative Proctitis

She came to us with severe bloating, constipation, nausea, and GERD. Here are her test results:

Case-Study-2-401H

H. pylori is a common bacterial infection with our clients. Some practitioners don’t treat it and there’s still debate about whether or not it’s a problem. There’s some interesting new research coming out that suggests it can be helpful in some cases (like if kids get it very young). All I know is: when people with GI problems kill it, they feel a lot better. So if they have symptoms and a positive test result, I think it makes sense for them to work with a skilled practitioner to clear it.

Most often it can suppress stomach acid and cause a cascade of problems like GERD, acid reflux, gastritis, ulcers, and stomach pain. There are studies that suggest it doesn’t cause overt symptoms in 85% of those infected.

2) Cryptosporidium: 45-year-old male with Celiac Disease

He came to us with severe diarrhea, stomach pain, malnourished, and depressed. Here are his test results:

Crypto-Infection

Cryptosporidium is a parasite that travels to your small intestine and then burrows into the walls of your intestines, wreaking havoc long-term in those with a compromised immune system. It’s most commonly from drinking unfiltered or untreated water or from swimming in pools with bad sanitation (some strains of Cryptosporidium are chlorine-resistant).

3) Blastocystis hominis: 65-year-old female with Crohn’s

She came to us suffering with diarrhea, strictures, and fatigue. Here are her test results:

Case-Study-5-401H

Blastocysistis hominis is a microscopic parasite that usually comes with overt GI symptoms like diarrhea, cramping, bloating, gas, fatigue, and sometimes even anal itching. Most people definitely notice an improvement once this bad bug is gone from their life. Most often it is caused by fecal-oral transmission, from both animals or humans. Many notice GI symptoms finally go away after working with a skilled practitioner to kill it.

How to Kill These 3 Gut Infections

I hope these 3 results had an impact on you. I wish I could have seen them years ago when I was banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what was really going on in my gut.

Since working with 500 people 1-on-1 over the last 2 years, we’ve seen 100’s of examples of the same exact test results I just showed you.

If you’re still struggling with digestive problems despite all your best diet, supplement, and lifestyle changes… you could have a parasite or bacterial infection. I highly recommend you check out our GI Infections call, where we dive into how to kill these bad bugs…

Grab your seat for our 2.5 hour Gut Infection Call

In the call we cover:

• NEW testing strategies to find parasite and bacterial infections
  • Who needs to kill them right away and who should actually wait
  • AND – HOW to kill these bugs with step-by-step protocols from the top chronic health practitioners

Get access to the GI Infections call today: http://gutinfections.scdlifestyle.com

– Jordan

Sally April 14, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Will the show include any information about the newly discovered “rope worm”?

Jeanne April 21, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Thanks for lots of great information. I love your emails, and I got so much information from your 2.5 hour webinar last week. It was great to have something to take to my doctor. She was very receptive. I have 2 questions. You mentioned TherBiotic in the call. They have several. Do you recommend any one over the other for someone with sibo, or are they all equally good? Also, my nutritionist says to take herbal antibiotics away from food, but my dr has me taking them with meals like in your protocol. Have you seen any problems in effectiveness in taking them with food? Thanks so much!!

Jeanne

Claire May 2, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Oh no, I missed this! Can I hear a replay? I’m in the process of getting stool tests done but need to learn more.
Thanks

anna May 19, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Hi Jordan,
I contacted BioHealth to try and find a practitioner in Ontario that may do this test however they direct you to Sunrise Medical Center in California…who doesn’t seem to have a functioning website. Any tips on accessing these tests? Have you heard of Genova Diagnostics? They seem to be the only tests I can find near me. Thanks!

Diane June 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Hi, I need some expertise with diagnosing and healing our 16 year old daughters stomach, painful eating issues! Medical doctors want to write a reflux prescription without a real diagnosis!

Four years ago she ran a fever and puked all day long after swimming in a horrible unclean pool after a sleepover. Immediately I had taken her to the docs, but never diagnosed or tested after informing them I saw the pool water was very bad.

She has had extensive testing from various specialist after a year long skin rash erupted over 85 % of her body. (Kind of eczema like rashes). The same year after the pool related illness. Since then, these past four years I’ve managed to resolve her skin problem by a natural detoxification..eight months cleansing the liver on down. However, despite stool testing and begging doctors to see if this is a parasite, she currently has horrific stomach pains after eating any meal except fresh fruit or blanched veggies. Zero tolerance for protein – sheer stomach pain. She sometimes still gets patches of a skin rash, but nothing like the first year long out break.

She doesn’t want more rounds of doctors subjecting her to extensive testing again. However I am greatly concerned about her lack of protein and terrible stomach pain. Please advise me on the most accurate test I could have her receive with the best outcome in healing her for life! Thank you in advance, answer a mothers prayer! -Diane

Chandra August 14, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Hi, I am from Canada and the stool testing here is antiquated to say the least. I think Genova Labs has a stool kit that is comprehensive.
I have been struggling with Candida overgrowth, taking anti fungals, fungal cell wall inhibitor, probiotics and Candida diet. This diet is impossible to follow, I read your SCD diet and I much prefer it, but I am so overwhelmed I don’t know which to follow. I am getting my cortisol checked, but I also need that Comprehensive stool kit. My medical costs are so high, it is not free in Canada. I am depressed and at my wits end. I would like to purchase your books, but I feel hesitant as I don’t know if it will work. Help? Do you do consults via phone or Skype?
Thanks,
Chandra

Brent Kovacs August 15, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Hi Chandra, thanks for reaching out! Sorry to hear that you’re having such a tough time right now… but know that it will get better.

Here’s a video that I think might help clear a few things up for you about following an anti-candida diet: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/02/3-anti-candida-diet-problems/

As for consulting, we no longer do this, but we do have a recommended practitioners page here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

Julie Ware September 20, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hello, So out of my depth, I live in Brisbane Australia. I know its a long shot but can you recommend anybody.
Best Wishes Julie Ware

Brent Kovacs September 22, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Hi Julie,

Thanks for reaching out! Our recommended practitioners have worked with people all over the world if you’d like to check them out here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

Or you could search http://functionalmedicine.org/

Peanut August 5, 2016 at 10:42 am

I don’t think your favorite test covers e.histo. DRG labs does a pcr that does find it by dna.

Sharique Rehan October 31, 2016 at 8:46 am

dear sir last 2 years i suffering digestive problem please help me please my weight is 39 to much weakness on me … please help me

Mariel Heiss October 31, 2016 at 3:39 pm