The Key to Great Digestion (Why Stomach Acid is Your Friend)

Are you even digesting your food?

If you have a lot of gas, bloating, reflux, diarrhea, and constipation… or undigested food in your stool, you need to watch this video.

It’s all about how stomach acid works… and why it really is good for you.  In fact, I would argue that proper stomach acid levels are the key to great digestion.

Most of us don’t have enough stomach acid

One of the most frustrating things we see is when people switch to a real food diet like SCD, Paleo, WAPF, or GAPS and they feel worse!  Or they spend all this time and money to eat healthy anti-inflammatory food and they aren’t even digesting it well.

In this video, I share the 4 triggers for good stomach acid secretion.  I also cover 2 really important supplements to help you digest your food properly.

Having proper stomach acid levels is vital for digestion, and if this isn’t right, the rest of the digestive process can get totally screwed up.

Fixing this was one of the biggest health breakthroughs on my journey to becoming symptom-free and I hope this video supports something similar for you.

P.S. – During the video, I refer to this article for more reading.

P.P.S. – Best.  Outtake.  Ever.

Lani February 20, 2014 at 11:21 am

I have celiac and thanks to you guys and my own diligence I am almost symptom free. But one problem continues to plague me, constipation. I refuse to take laxatives because they really mess me up for weeks. I think the problem is that I have pain disorder (fibromyalgia and osteo arthritis). I have multiple drug allergies and sensitivities so the only pain medication I can take is codeine which I only take once a day at bedtime. I know it is comstipating I have gradually weaned myself off all other medications with my doctors help but the pain prevents me from sleeping if I don’t take it. I take supplements including a powdered magnesium which helps a little. Most of what you write about has to do with diarrhea and I am just wondering if you have any suggestions for the opposite problem. Thanks for all you have done to help so many people.

joan emm February 20, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Great. I seem to have too much stomach acid and GERD ( on top of Crohn’s) so Doc put me on omeprazole – a kind of pepcid antacid. Will this be harmful? Thanks.

Shaun February 21, 2014 at 1:52 am

Thanks for the video.

If you have SIBO and stomach ulcers and have undigested food in stools, and suspect low stomach acid. What is the alternative to hcl?

Elise Lærum February 21, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Hi Jordan! You sure are a rockstar! Keep it up ;D

After your advice on taking Betaine hcl, i tried to get some here in Norway, and i found out we need to get it on a prescription from our doctor. But anyways, they didn’t have it in the pharmacy, and it will be four weeks before they’ll get it. So i tried to use some sort of gastric acid we don’t need a prescription for here, called Aciglumin. And i got diarrhea, and stomach pain. And it didn’t stop so i stopped use it after almost a week. Do you think it was because it was not Beatine hcl, or that my stomach can’t handle gastric acid supplements?

Peace & Love E

Neil Long February 22, 2014 at 12:23 am

I’ve been thinking of taking HCL and digestive enzymes lately, so this is a timely show. Sounds like HCL is taken 30 minutes before a meal. How about ifyour taking both? Anything special? Also, could you address fat malabsorption.It was a bullet point in a talk that one of you gave in the last year or so, that is the last I heard about it. Going into a modified SCD/Pareto diet, I notice carbs get traded for fat. I have issues with fat.What have you seen help? Thanks

Debra February 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Elise,
I take HCL when my stomach really hurts and it helps so much. But when I am out of HCL I drink some of the Braggs apple cider vinegar in some water and that also helps. Not sure if you could do that, but you probably wouldn’t need a prescription for it.

Elise March 3, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Debra, i`ll try that, i`m supposed to avoid apple cider vinegar because of candida. But does it really help with digestion, like HCL?

E