How to Find and Reverse Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (Podcast 76)

Dr-Izabella-Wentz-Hashimotos-Thyroiditis

It’s thought that 90% of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, so why aren’t more people talking about this common problem?  Thyroid hormones affect every single cell in the body, including the digestive tract cells.  So, if you want ideal digestion, you have to have optimal thyroid hormones.

The frustrating problem is that the thyroid gland is regulated by complex feedback systems that can make supplementing with more hormones alone an unsatisfactory solution.  As we discuss in this podcast, fixing thyroid issues is really like peeling an onion back.  Each layer that you peel back reveals more issues to correct.  At times this can be disheartening.  But as you’ll hear from this podcast, starting with thyroid problems can lead you back to all the root causes of your health issues.

That’s why I’m so excited for you to hear Dr. Izabella Wentz, PharmD. talk about one of the most misunderstood conditions of our age: Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.  Izabella has spent some serious time and energy writing her new book, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause.  After being diagnosed with this disease in 2009, she poured three years of research and two years of testing into trying to heal.  And when thyroid medications only improved her sleep from 12 plus hours to 11 hours a night, she began peeling back the layers one at a time until she reached complete remission!

If you are struggling with…

• excessive fatigue
  • sleeping 10-12 hours or more a night
  • cold intolerance
  • hair loss
  • IBS
  • anxiety
  • depression
  • acid reflux
  • allergies or any other unexplained symptom

Then you might be having thyroid issues including Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, and this podcast might literally be a life changer.

On this podcast, we dive into

1:30 How Izabella ended up focusing on the thyroid and ultimately writing her book

6:30 Why is the thyroid so important for health?

9:30 Is it true that every cell has a receptor for T3?

15:25 What is Hashimoto’s and what’s happening in the body?

20:45 What it means to have a balanced immune system? And what the body is trying to do in the case of an autoimmune condition

24:00 A ROOT CAUSE for the immune system getting out of balance

28:20 Therapies and next action steps to take when tests show autoimmune imbalance

36:32 Two supplements that can change your life in a day

39:15 The Iodine Myth

43:10 Izabella shares how to get her book and some free gifts

Play

Thank you so much, Izabella, for pursuing a high level of health, in spite of Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, and then taking the time to educate others.  To learn more about Dr. Izabella Wentz, PharmD. and her mission, check out her site here.

Do you have thyroid issues?  What’s working or not working?  Tell me in the comments section below.

-Steve

P.S. If you can’t see the audio player on this post, you can download the mp3 here. Also, you can listen to the show on iTunes here.

Allen February 24, 2014 at 10:40 am

I’m curious what exactly is a “health engineer”? I am searching for your credentials in giving advice on these complicated health problems and cannot find anything. What kind of experience/expertise do you guys have?

Jeanne Serur February 24, 2014 at 1:35 pm

Diagnosed with graves disease in 1984 – had radioactive iodine to kill the thyroid and have been on thyroid hormone ever since – My doctor does a thyroid panel each year
and readjusts the dose of synthroid each year as needed. I wonder if he is adjusting
the dose correctly as a year ago I developed salicylate sensitivity, lost 13 pounds, sleep 13 hours a day, severe brain fog. A friend of mine got me on digestive enzymes,
and the scd intro and scd diet and am getting better. Could you tell me what is the correct range for the TSH. I am really wondering if my synthroid dose is too low.

Michelle February 24, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I have really appreciated the past several podcasts you have presented. They have been extremely helpful and informative. I end up forwarding the link each time to several friends and family, because so many could benefit from all the information shared. Thank you for providing and sharing such important information! Thank you!

CJ February 25, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Great podcast. It took me more than 40 yr to finally get a diagnose for both Celiac disease and Hashimoto’s. No one ever tested my thyroid antiboides (which were extremely high) and every doctor I visited said there was nothing wrong with my TSH or thyroid, it was perfectly normal! Never mind that I had every symptom in the book. I continue to stuggle with metabolishing T4, my body likes to make RT3 and I don’t tolerate T3 meds. I’ve been Paleo for 5yr. + egg free, diary free, grain free, legume free, nightshade free, nut and seed free and taking the appropriate supplements. Looking forward to reading Wentz’s book as I’m still searching for improved health … thanks for all you do.

Brenda February 27, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Based upon my experience, I would suggest listeners do an iodine loading test (urine) before taking any thyroid prescription drug and read Dr. David Brownstein’s book, Iodine: Why You Need It, Why You Can’t Live Without It, 5th Edition.

Julie March 6, 2014 at 4:01 pm

I learned about Dr. Brownstein’s book & Dvd from Stop the Thyroid Madness and Newsmax and got on the Iodoral 50mg dose, which saved my life. Took a really long time to experience minor side effects but I knew I needed to reduce the amount so I purchased Celtic Sea Salt. White salt is just too toxic and a devitalized food. I fired my endocrinologist and took matter in my on hand – best thing I ever did since too many doctors do not understand salt, health, and digestion or the greedy and abusive food processing tricks that destroy our health.

John Dennis June 26, 2014 at 2:36 am

I thought I would post this below. It is interesting and the people taking iodine might be taking the wrong version and that it what is making them sick.