When is it Ok to Cheat on SCD or Paleo?

When is it ok to cheat?

What about the 80/20 rule?

We get a lot of questions about this.  Especially when it comes to grey zone foods like dark chocolate and alcohol.

Here’s the conclusion I’ve come to over the years: it completely depends on your symptoms and what you’re dealing with.

If you’re still having symptoms, it’s probably not a good idea.

So if you’re someone who struggles with cramping and diarrhea and you’re still having cramping and diarrhea, please don’t email me asking if it’s ok to cheat.  You’ve still got some troubleshooting to work on first.

Or if you have Celiac Disease like I do, please don’t ask me if it’s OK if you have gluten every once in a while… your immune system will get very angry for up to 6 months afterward.

But if you’re someone who’s been symptom-free for 3 months and you’re wondering about dark chocolate or a glass of wine a few times a week… this video is for you.

I’m going to share one specific question you can use to help you decide whether it’s ok for you to test those grey zone foods you’ve wondering about.

I’m also going to share my personal experiments with alcohol after years of avoiding it while I healed my gut.

After you watch the video, leave a comment and let me know what your experience has been testing grey zone foods after your symptoms were under control.

– Jordan

Cecile February 6, 2014 at 6:34 am

Great take on a tricky topic Jordan! This way of shifting perspective is a great tool. My doctor in NYC talks about optimization vs deprivation. Thanks for posting this video, it will help alot of people!

Dede Cummings February 6, 2014 at 8:03 am

Dear Jordan, Thanks for this great episode! I am in the 80/20 Paleo group, thanks to working with you and asking “What’s right about this for me?” I really appreciate your message and delivery, Jordan! You are open and honest, and educational—all in one! I occasionally drink a vodka and tonic with a lime, and it is fun and relaxing (like once every two weeks), with no side effects. My small bowel (Crohn’s) inflammation is very low right now, since going Paleo after working with you last June, 2013. My last checkup rocked!! Thanks to you and your team… I’m sharing the love, too ;)

Garet February 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Wow! What a positive and helpful way to make choices, and not just dietary choices! Your message really resonated with me and I’m going to start asking myself, “what’s right about it?”. It’s so simple but so profound!

Brenda February 7, 2014 at 11:44 am

Thanks Jordan! Great video. Always love your honesty and compassion for others!

Jordan Reasoner February 7, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Thank you Brenda, that means so much to me!

Brittany February 12, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Hey Jordan!

I’m a self diagnosed celiac, I’ve been paleo for about 18 months, I introduced some dairy, started eating white potatoes and lots of enjoy life chocolate chips (I believe I’m addicted to them). Anyway, I carry both the HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 gene. About 4 months ago I over did it with the dairy and I accidentally ate a box of cookies that I thought were gluten free, they weren’t. After that, I started having terrible digestion issues, I lost about 10 lbs in 2 weeks, and since then I’ve been having IBS type symptoms. I think I may have SIBO, is that possible from an accidental glutening? Do you think the SCD diet will help me?
Brittany

Jonny February 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Hey Jordan,

Really loved this thank you. Quick question… I’ve been following SCD for about 2-3 months now…This might sound strange but I think my IBS symptoms were due to stress more than food. My stomach was making the horrible growling sound ( Maybe because I was hungry) tonight so I threw in the towel, Ate some Yeo Vallley live yogurt ( Non SCD legal) a load of cookies and some cereal…Nothing…No stomach sounds…Nothing. I don’t have an urge to go to the toilet.
Any idea on what this could be? My stool is always great when I’m back home over christmas eating anything I want. Do you think this sounds like it’s more in my head?

Thanks loads for your time, would love to know what your take on this is?

Archie May 22, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Hi Jordan,

I have an embarrassing question. I’m not going to ask you if it’s okay to cheat… because I already did. I can’t find anything relating to my question on your website, so I’ll ask it here… I was six days in on the intro diet. I lost too much weight, was feeling ill all the time (but apparently the ill feeling is a good sign), and today I went out with friends and could not resist the temptation of eating potato fries dipped in mayo. My question is, do I have to start the entire diet over? Just thinking about chicken or carrots makes me nauseous, so I really hope I didn’t mess up six days of work just for fries. I did eat all of them, too. I have IBS, by the way. I really need advice on whether I can keep going on the diet, or if I’ve just ruined all my chances of healing. Please answer, I’m having a fit over caving in tonight. Thank you!