Is Gluten Bad for Non-Celiacs? Expert’s Panel Advice

Should a Non-Celiac be gluten-free?  This used to get you laughed out of a doctors office but the idea that gluten sensitivity is real has recently received some validation the in research.  Which is great news for all the Non-Celiac’s who have been telling their doctors this for years.  This past Sunday a gluten expert panel spent an hour covering these ideas and more common questions about gluten.

The panel was hosted by Ameer Rosic and featured Dr. Tom O’ Bryan, Nora Gedgaudas  and myself.  I don’t really consider myself as having “expert” status compared to this group because most of what I know was learned from Dr. Tom in his Gluten Practitioner Program.   It was really an honor for me.

For those who want some of the most in-depth training available to date on gluten check out this program on gluten sensitivity.

No Celiac, No Care?

Like Nora, I don’t have Celiac disease and while I eat very clean I sometimes do eat some gluten.  This shouldn’t be a problem right?  I mean a little bit can’t hurt… or can it?  Listening to Nora tell her story has me rethinking my current ways.  Or at least I might get my own Cyrex gluten testing done to confirm it.

I’ve known since I started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet that wheat and grains where not my friends.  But I’ve also learned that small and infrequent exposure don’t really impact me.   However, just because I can’t “feel it” doesn’t mean that my body isn’t cursing me and struggling to get rid of the toxins.

If you’ve never taken time to read any of the research studies on gluten then this video can save you about 6 months of your life as it covers most of the highlights.

Here are some of my favorites:

7:00 If you want to get pregnant don’t eat gluten.  Gluten sensitivity causes zinc deficiency leading to inability of sperm to get the job done.

10:14 Dr. Tom O’ Bryan quoting Dr. Alessio Fasano “No human can digest gluten now, we can’t break down that protein, none of us can. And whether or not it stimulates an immune response, is determined by how overwhelmed our immune system is”

13:00 Even if you’re not having an immunologic response to gluten, it still stimulates the production of zonulin which increase gut permeability and blood-brain barrier permeability.

17:28 The most common malabsorption for gluten sensitive or those with inflamed digestive systems is fat soluble vitamins.  So a Vitamin D deficiency’s is very common to see for those who are gluten sensitive.  Dr. Tom “Big picture health I would check Vitamin D (25-Hydroxy) yearly vs Cholesterol” (Jordan covers it here “Why Celiacs Need Vitamin D”)

27:40 Sprouting of wheat doesn’t cancel out gluten and other proteins that the immune system reacts too.  This includes Einkorn wheat and other older wheat strains.

34:35 Dr. Tom explains about how carrots and onions can grow bacteria with LPS and then can trigger permeability of the gut (I didn’t know this – fascinating)!

37:36 Dr. Tom’s emphasis for all his patients is to build the healthiest gut flora possible to protect us from all the toxins in our current world.

44:30 What a compelling reason to not eat gluten?  Nora explains why getting tested for these things is worth every penny of your investment as one of the top reasons for bankruptcy today’s world is health problems.  Should I test for Celiac Disease or Gluten sensitivity?  Dr. Tom covers both ideas very well and tells which tests to use and the limits of each test.  If you didn’t know most conventional tests won’t work for gluten sensitivity, due to false negatives of standard testing.

52:04 where is gluten chewing up your body?  The autoimmune part of gluten is downright scary.  Jordan’s mom was part of this, Dr. Tom talks about his family and how if you have gluten sensitivity and are still not having symptoms you still might be slowly dying.

1:01:45 The best thing you can do right now.  The easiest, where you’re going to get the best bang for your buck… follow Steve’s program, the SCD lifestyle (solution) for 3 to 4 weeks, do that program, commit to it, and watch what happens” – Dr. Tom O’ Bryan.

Huge Thanks to Dr. Tom for the unsolicited plugs and to Ameer for having me on the panel!

If you’re looking to read more about gluten, wheat and Celiac disease start with this article (How Gluten Causes Celiac Disease) from Jordan.

And if you are someone who thinks gluten-free is the answer I urge you to read this article.

Toxic Truth about Gluten-Free diets

In health,

Steve

Ann Hasnip April 18, 2013 at 5:08 am

I am a self diagnosed gluten intolerant female. I havent eaten gluten for 28 years and am healthy. My questionis. My mother recently died and she suffered from Alzheimers. i have often thought that she may have been gluten sensitive and I wonder if there is any research relating to Alzheimers linked with gluten sensitivity??Ann Hasnip

Tom O'Bryan April 22, 2013 at 2:36 am

Hi Ann

Very sorry to hear of the passing of your mother. I have had direct experience myself with family members dying from the slow degenerative progression of Alzheimer’s. In answer to your question, I went to PubMed.gov and asked ‘are there any papers connecting Celiac Disease and Alzheimer;s. Here are 26 papers that came up.

We have an entire protocol for family members of Alzheimers patients that helps to identify risk and mechanisms to address the pathology of brain inflammation. You may want to have a conversation with me. If so, go to http://www.theDr.com

Rebekah Hill April 18, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Fascinating! I’m curious to learn more about LPS. There are old Amish remedies that involve placing raw onions in certain places to cure and prevent infections. I wonder if they work because, being a less hostile environment than our human bodies with their formidable immune systems, the onions provide a preferable habitat for LPS and other unfriendlies; i.e. the raw onion is a germ magnet! Based on what Tom O’Bryan said, maybe one could also use peeled carrots and avoid the onion smell.

Tom Durst April 18, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Great panel. I took several pages of notes, and I will be looking into Cyrex testing.
When Dr Tom said to get off gluten, did he mean to get off all grains or just wheat?
Thanks guys.

Steven Wright April 19, 2013 at 10:21 am

All grains for the most part is what I understood. But he seems to be okay with oat consumption.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy April 18, 2013 at 8:12 pm

what an interesting article! thanks for sharing!

Christine April 19, 2013 at 4:16 am

Does wheatgrass contain gluten?

Tori April 21, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Yes it does. If you grow your own there is apparently a window of time when you need to cultivate it so it does not contain gluten. Dr. Tom speaks to this issue sometimes during interviews but I couldn’t tell you which one I heard it on. Maybe Underground Wellness.

Jennifer Zeikus April 20, 2013 at 10:07 pm

I had to diagnose my daughter myself after several docs refused to test for gluten intolerance, wheat allergy, or Celiac disease after I asked if her skin and nail problems could be a result of gluten intolerance. After several docs refused my requests, she had some seizures. Her blood test after her first seizure indicated an allergic and an immune response to wheat which the doctors did not correlate to gluten intolerance, I figured that out through research. The DAY she started a gluten free diet, she had NO more seizures. After being on a gluten free diet for 9 months, all of her 16 Celiac symptoms have disappeared. I called her doctor to share this info. and to get a referral for an allergist (which I had been denied before) and have not received any return phone call. One hundred dollars for a test is cheap compared to the ten thousand dollars that I spent on neurologists who were simply shills for the pharmaceutical companies. They immediately gave her anti seizure meds. which had horrible side effects. This is what led me to look into the Ketogenic diet. After success on the Keto. diet she got a hold of some Ritz and had a seizure while eating them. Then I looked into the connection b/t gluten and seizures. Dr. Vikki Peterson’s website HealthNOWMedical Center was my saving grace. I found the answer I was looking for. It is a great resource.

sandy April 21, 2013 at 1:50 am

ok celiac patient are gluten sensitive

stephanie April 21, 2013 at 10:45 pm

thank you for this and all of your postings and videos. My 11 year old daughter has OCD and also tics in small ways. When her body tics became so bad she could not sit or lie still, we finally had one friend, who is a naturopath, suggest the GAPS diet, which is very similar to SCD. Within a few days, she improved dramatically. She had vicious nightmares, clusters of warts on her feet, anxiety, skin rashes, sore throats, allergic rhinitis and constant stomach aches. I was not even aware of the constipation. All of this started around 4 years old and we had numerous tests and visits to pediatricians, specialists and allergists, none of whom offered any suggestion of a celiac test or even changing our diet. My QUESTION is, I would like to get rid of the tics and OCD for good. She has had bouts since 4, with no tics or problems at all, then they re-occur. We also work on the gut flora with probiotic foods and probiotics. Do you have any suggestions for testing to find out any more specifics? We have been fairly steady on SCD for 8 months, though have fallen off the wagon several times. (though not anymore after watching this). Any suggestion would be appreciated. We live in a small town and I often have to figure this out on my own.

Tori April 21, 2013 at 11:29 pm

The only symptom(s) my daughter had was geographic tongue and maybe short stature. My husband and I are both on the shorter end so it may not be the gluten. Goegraphic tongue, sometimes called oral psoriasis, can be caused by a deficiency of B12. Well instead of just loading her with a B-12 vitamin I dug into the research a bit to find out WHY she might be deficient. Yep….gluten sensitive and maybe celiac (test was through Enterolab and not 100% sure on reliability of a positive anti-TTG test from stool).

Virginia Miller April 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thank you so much for posting this very informative video Steve. I love Dr. Tom (he has some great videos on You-Tube), but the more I research all the different types of gluten, I now agree with Nora, that there is NO good gluten, in any amount, and NO ONE should be eating this toxic substance.
Also, just want to say that I was very impressed with my first one-on-one consultation with you Steve. You were very thorough and the health questionnaire is so comprehensive that I really feel it provided you with a clear overall picture of what has happened with my health. I’m excited for my tests results to come back and look forward to talking with you again during my follow up appointment. Thanks again!

Corinne August 29, 2013 at 6:51 am

Steve – Thanks for posting this video! I’m currently eating starch-free/sugar-free, including not eating carrots. I’ve seen some improvement but not a lot, so I’m considering starting your SCD introductory diet, which I know involves eating a lot of carrots. Do you have any concerns about using carrots to heal permeability after what Dr. Tom shared, or do you think it’s safe to use freshly peeled carrots that are cooked immediately?

Thanks!

Steven Wright August 30, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’m not too worried about them. I think there’s lots of other areas to focus time and energy like hormones, detox and infections.