Probiotics for Inflammation – When Things Go Wrong and What to Do Long Term

Just wanted to give you a preview of what we’re doing this month in Inner Circle! Things are heating up a notch!

During the month of November we’re going in-depth on “Essential Supplements for Digestion, Inflammation, and Leaky Gut.”  We’ll show you what supplements matter, how to supplement, find out what’s working for you, and more!

What if just one supplement tweak is the BIG key to unlocking better digestion?

What if your test results were MUCH better than you realized and you can stop feeling like you’re not getting better?

Today, you’re getting free access to the Week 1 Inner Circle Coaching video so you can get a taste for what’s going on inside (and get some help with your Probiotics).  I even share test results of my gut bacteria I’ve never shared before on our site.

I hope you enjoy this video.

Vibeke November 8, 2012 at 5:45 am

Thanks again for a great video. Could I ask you to not do the zoom in/out? It is confusing and hurts the eye, and you are interesting in what you have to say it is not nessesary. I would like to tell about my own experience with probiotics. I have used pill form probiotics for 2 years now and have been on the SCD for 6 months. I have tried saurkraut twice and I just couldn’t have it (D), I think is is causes by my FM, so I still have to avoid FODMAPS, but also my tollerance there has increased. I then tried to make kefir youghurt and sour cream and that works for me it seems. I eat kefir yourhurt for breakfast and sour cream in my stews or sauces or for dessert in the evening. I have seen major improvements in my digestion in these 6 months. I have gained 9 kilos which is wonderfull because I am pregnant, now 6 months. I have gone from daily 3-5 D to 1-2 regular poops a day, 4-6 on the poop scale. My migraine, bloatedness, stomach pain, nausea, sinus irritation has greatly been reduced. My energy is much greater. One thing I have thought about asking you, is that you show all these test that you undergo. It is great information, but I really don’t know how to go about doing it myself. I don’t know where to ask for them and when I find a website I get confused about what they will actually test me for. I also have the money problem, that I don’t know if I can afford it (I am a housewife, with parttime job, and soon 4 children to look after). I also live in Europe, so guess I would have other oprtions here. Maybe you could tell some more direct info on where and how much and what on getting tests done?

Jordan Reasoner November 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Glad you’re doing so well Vibeke, awesome news!

I think Metametrix will test in Europe, this is the DNA/PCR stool test we got done: http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/gi-effects-microbial-ecology

Use their website to find a local Doctor if possible.

blackbass November 11, 2012 at 8:22 pm

i cant tolerat the sauerkraut because of the fiber..but i drink the brine..i wonder how much probiotic benefits are in the brine? any clues? i have tried water kefir using coconut water…it works well for a batch or two…then the grains seem to die. i cant tolerate dairy even though i tried raw goat milk kefir and handled it much better than SCD yogurt. What other naturally fermented foods are there that I could try?

Jordan Reasoner November 12, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I haven’t seen any studies on it, but I have heard the brine is also full of good bacteria and it makes sense to me that it would also have lots of good bacteria. I also drink it.

Kelly C November 21, 2012 at 11:03 am

For the past 2 years, after years of having digestive issues, I also have been searching to help heal my gut. After cutting out wheat and dairy, finding “Nourishing Traditions,” following a Paleo diet for about 6 months, taking probiotics & enzymes, eating whole foods and fermented vegetables daily, and cutting down on FODMAPS, I am finally approaching balance. I found your website about 6 months ago, and your information has been invaluable. Your scientific and methodical way of figuring out how to heal has been guiding, but your encouragement to never give up has been truly inspirational. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Jordan Reasoner November 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Your welcome Kelly, I’m so glad you found us!

Keep us posted on how you’re doing and happy holidays 🙂

Wazza November 26, 2012 at 7:09 am

Hey Jordan, i a little confused. Are you saying that while probiotics is useful, the supplement-forms are not and that only those that come from fermented food help? I am on yakult ace right now and i take yoghurt every now and then. What is your take on that?

Jordan Reasoner November 26, 2012 at 3:53 pm

They are helpful, but it’s not so much for your gut flora, it’s for your immune system. Please watch this: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/11/how-probiotics-boost-your-immune-system/

solomani December 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

Interesting video. I am kind of confused as to why fermented food can alter gut flora but probiotic pills can not. Are the pills missing an X-factor that we are not aware of yet?

Edwina December 8, 2012 at 3:11 am

Hey there Jordan, Great to see you are spreading the message about fermented foods and gut healing. Thanks for sharing your vid.
I’m a bit concerned about your statement that freezing dairy will kill bacteria. The US National Yoghurt Association contradicts you there as do most others. Freezing only makes the bacteria dormant and they refresh and do their job when ingested.
Cheers Edwina

Jordan Reasoner December 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thank you Edwina, I appreciate the feedback. I’m still working with some others to find research on it to either confirm or retract my statement.

The evidence I’ve found suggests it kills some strains but not others. If you have any published research please send it over so I can make sure we’re sending the correct message 🙂

BLACKBASS December 11, 2012 at 9:39 am

HEY GUYS…NEW TESTIMONY…WHEN I USE RAW GOAT MILK TO MAKE KEFIR…LET IS FERMENT 2 DAYS…THEN RIPPEN UP FOR TWO MORE DAYS…NO IMMUNE REACTIONS!!! IM SO EXCITED…HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR OVER A WEEK, TAKING 1.4 CUP EVERY MORNING AND EVENING. WITH THE SCD YOGUART I WOULD REACT TO IT WITHIN 6-8 HOURS EVERY SINGEL TIME. DONT KNOW WHY.

THE RAW MILK AND LONG FERMENTATION OF 30-40 STRAINS OF BACTERIA COULD BE THE DIFFERENCE. YOU MIGHT WANT TO FURTHER LOOK INTO THIS. I NEED THE ACIDITY…BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH THE YOGUART WAS AGGRAVATING ME…BECAUSE OF THE ACIDITY IT WAS KEEPING CANDIDA DOWN..AS SOON AS I STOPPED AND WENT TO THE NON DAIRY PILLS…CANDIDA AND SIBO WENT WILD AND REALLY TOOK OVER. MAYBE NOW I CAN TAKE CONTROL BACK OVER THE SIBO AND CANDIDA

SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS…IM AN ARCHITECT WORKING ON CAD

Yvette December 12, 2012 at 11:22 am

Jordan,
Thanks so much for this info. I had the eye opening experience yesterday of getting back gut test results that were similar to the ones you shared, i.e. basically no beneficial bacteria in my gut, even after taking copious probiotics over years. My functional medicine MD (whom I love and is awesome, BTW) was as shocked as I was and had no explanation for the results and no suggestion of what to do other than switch to a new probiotic pill. I’ve sent him the link to this video. 😉

Upon arriving back home from my office visit, I started researching possible answers. Before finding this video, I had a suspicion from previous information put out by SCD that adding fermented foods to my diet might be my answer. Even though I’ve read a lot from a couple of sources over the past year about this being the way to go to naturally increase gut flora, I hadn’t put that info into practice.

Thank you for continuing to trial and error and share about things that work and don’t in the all-important area of gut health. I’ll be starting my own trial of introducing fermented foods into my diet today to see what happens. I’ll look forward to taking the stool sample test (hmmm…maybe “look forward” is an overstatement, LOL!) again in the future to see if there has been improvement.
Thanks again for being such a great resource for good information,
Yvette

Sarah James February 20, 2013 at 9:50 am

What with fibre being a bulk-forming food, do you think it would make sense to try adding some into the diet? After all, people with diahorrea need bulky food to form bulky stool, and constipated people need to almost give themselves diahorrea to pass a stool. Polar opposites, but normally it would work, right? Also, maybe try drinking less fluids. Or see how your bladder is coping every few hours. Maybe it’s just me, but could there also maybe be a leakage from the bladder into the gut. I seem to get much more gas, if I haven’t emptied my bladder for a few hours. A similar reaction a female would get when she was going through a menstrual cycle. The more fluid you have inside you at one time, the more easier the leaky comes. I’m just trying to make sense of absorption in the digestive system.

Darcy March 1, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Im hoping you can get me more clear, (brain fog)
Did you mean : start with the low dose of GI pro (lactobacillus acidophilus), 3 billion and work up to30-40 billion, THEN start with small amounts of fermented vegies ?
Or, start with ether one ? Does the fermented veg have Bififo ?
Im struggling quite hard and need to be able to get past this point Im stuck at.
Darcy

adrian sales October 16, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Great video.CP1 did nt do much for me either at high dose.But slowly fermented foods are.I would love to get one on one guidance from you guys when fina
nces permit.Excellent info that you share.The best site that I have come across.Thanks!