Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes for Fall Family Fun (SCD friendly)

pumpkin-pancakes-ready-to-eat

Kid tested, adult approved. These Paleo / SCD pumpkin pancakes are some of the best non-traditional ones I’ve tested yet. They’re very moist but not “eggy” if you know what I mean. They can be used as a cold snack and a great delivery method for nut butters.

Yes, the pumpkin I used came from a can. Are you okay with that?

The only ingredient on the can was pumpkin. Some of you might not understand what I’m talking about so I’ll take aim at the elephant in the room. According to Elaine in BTVC I would not be following the rules of SCD because I did not get a written letter from the manufacture stating that nothing exogenous was added to the pumpkin during the processing of it.

I understand that when she originally wrote BTVC and when she was treating Judy that she had good reason to make the rules she did. But I also think food manufacturing was less scrutinized and consumers were less educated back then.

The true problem is that almost all canned fruit has added sugars and stabilizers and many common canned vegetables do to (listed on can). But times are changing. And while I’m NOT declaring free rain on eating canned foods, I’m trying to walk a very tight line of keeping a diet that can help millions of people current and evolving with the times.

Pumpkin – I think when the ingredients say “pumpkin” is one of those vegetables that is likely SCD safe 100% of the time. Sure, if you want to cook a fresh one do it. It’ll likely have more nutrients and be a great experience. But I don’t see anything harmful about eating pumpkin out of the can when the ingredients do not contain anything else.

Introducing Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes

This recipe is adapted from Practical Paleo. I doubled the recipe, changed the sweetener and added some spices.

• 8 Eggs
  • 1 Cup of Canned Pumpkin
  • 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 3 Tablespoons Honey
  • 2 1/2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Cloves
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Allspice
  • 3/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 2 Pinches of Sea Salt
  • 4 Tablespoons Coconut Oil

pumpkin-cup

Step 1. Plan to pre-heat your pan on medium heat with some coconut oil. Then, get a large mixing bowl and start by adding the eggs, pumpkin, vanilla and honey. Using a balloon whisk or your favorite kitchen tool, thoroughly mix. Don’t go light here. The more time spent making sure these ingredients are smooth and blended the better the final outcome.

making-pumpkin-pancakes

Step 2. Add in all the spices above and the coconut oil. If the coconut oil isn’t liquid, then slightly heat it using tap water or the microwave to make it more mixable. Stir vigorously.

cooking-pumpkin-pancakes

Step 3. Using a large spoon drop the pancake batter into ready pan. Mine ended up being about 3-4 inches in diameter as they thinned out. When you see bubbles starting to come to the surface that’s a good sign it’s time to flip. Tip – using a fish spatula is very helpful for delicate recipes like this.

Step 4. Serve them up. I didn’t use anything extra as these are very tasty but top with butter, yogurt or honey and berries if you’re feeling creative.

Tell me what you think in the comments below.

-Steve

Christine October 8, 2012 at 5:31 am

I always email manufacturers before using canned goods. I usually ask if the can is made from aluminium or if there is BPA in the lining. I also ask how the contents are preserved. Have they been pasteurised etc? I do also ask if there are any undisclosed additives. Some canned goods are very good, but you do have to be careful about some.

If I don’t use fresh of anything, then I would always choose frozen over canned – if it was available that is!

Steven Wright October 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

@Christine – That is awesome, what percentage usually tell you that it contains BPA? And how many don’t even know? I’m with you frozen is probably better than canned, but lately I’m wondering more about that. Have you ever made frozen veggies or eaten frozen fruit and tasted a plastic taste ? I’ve been noticing it more lately…

Christine October 11, 2012 at 7:11 am

Well, they either say they don’t have BPA or don’t reply!!! Sometimes, I get really good replies, explaining to me the whole canning process and exactly how they are prepared etc.

I haven’t tasted a plastic taste on frozen fruit and veggies, but then I mostly use fresh where I can, but you’ve got a point there.

I notice there are a few places that sell fruit and veg in glass jars – maybe they are a better option? I think manufacturers are becoming more aware now of the BPA issue.

Kiley January 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

‘Farmers Market’ brand pumpkin puree is BPA-Free and widely available. http://www.farmersmarketfoods.com/ I use it all the time! 😉

Gutsy Girl October 8, 2012 at 10:29 am

Ok, I have to admit the EIGHT EGGS part made me laugh. Can I make these into muffins as well? Oooo I’d love me some pumpkin muffins! And I think I could do these even with my ultra low carb Atkins restrictions. Do they burn easily? In the top picture they look a little toasty. I’ll have to try these this week! Nom nom nom.

Steven Wright October 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm

@Gusty Girl – you know I’m not sure. I’m sure if you search Paleo Pumpkin muffins that there are a ton of them out there. They actually brown up really fast but while the pics look “brunt” they were NOT. At least if you ask my taste-buds.

Andrea October 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I use this canned pumpkin and mix it with the almond meal muffins to make pumpkin muffins. I also put in pumpkin pie spice with it. Yummy

Tanya Covello October 8, 2012 at 9:06 pm

These pumpkin pancakes are AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing. As soon as I read this in my inbox this morning I knew I had to try! The whole family loved them – we had some with homemade apple butter, some with just organic butter, and my sweet tooth of a daughter had some with syrup. Not only were these absolutely delicious, they filled us up and for me in particular, I did not feel fatigued, nauseated, or bloated – in fact I was full of energy for 5 hours! Thank you!

Steven Wright October 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm

@Tanya – I’m glad you enjoyed them, thanks for the comment!

Jessika October 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The pumpkin pancakes are delicious…even the batter is good (I reduced the amount of honey). They do brown up quickly, but don’t taste burned. I had them for dinner, didn’t put anything on ’em. This a.m., I tried cooking some batter in a small glass bowl, sort of muffinlike, and it turns out like a souffle. A delicious, pumpkin souffle. Thank you, Steve, for the recipe! I use canned pumpkin alot this time of year and try not to stress about the BPAs..’cuz I don’t use much canned food on a regular basis. Besides, I tried cooking a pumpkin…it was an all day, messy affair…I’ll take some chances with the canned. Anyway, the canned pumpkin can be dressed to your liking and makes a great side “mashed” side dish. I’ve also tried pumpkin “ice cream” by mixing with coconut milk and honey or stevia and chilled almost to freezing…that one needs tinkering 🙂 Good luck with the upcoming TV show – very exciting for you!

Jordan Reasoner October 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Thanks Jessica – we’re filming this week! Glad you liked Steve’s recipe 🙂

Stephanie October 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Funny, pumpkin pancakes must be popular this month. I sent a similar modified recipe out in my gastroparesis newsletter a couple weeks ago, also adapted from Practical Paleo. They are delicious!
As far as BPA goes, Farmers Market brand now says “BPA free liner.” I try to avoid canned foods but this is an exception 🙂

Roggy McGee October 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

How many servings is this? TIA

Sheree October 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

typically anything cooked with pumpkin or honey will brown more quickly than other foods and cook darker anyways but they don’t have a burnt taste 🙂

Jordan Reasoner October 16, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Ahh, thanks for adding Sheree – that makes sense.

Paula October 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm

They sound awesome, can’t wait to make them. Pumpkin from organic pie pumkins will work beautifully and solve the BPA and can issues. Cut in half, scoop out seeds and bake at 375 for 45 min or until tender. Then scoop out, put in food processor until smooth and it’s good to go for all pumpkin recipes!

Verena October 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Oh my, these look awesome! I just introduced pumpkin to my diet and have a very nice Japanese one that cooks really quickly if you just dice it beforehand. My trick was to chop the whole pumpkin at once and then just store it in the fridge in portion bags (up to 6 days). This way tomorrow morning I’ll just boil them for 15 minutes and have the right base for this recipe to go with my eggs! Never seen any canned pumpkin in Germany anyway.

Jordan Reasoner October 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Great tip Verena! Thanks for stopping by, you rock!

Lizzy October 31, 2012 at 4:52 am

We rarely buy canned goods. Whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, are the absolutely only thing I can think of that we routinely buy. We used to make spaghetti sauce with that, but that rarely happens here too. I am off tomatoes period at the moment. I would say the family has made spaghetti sauce about 3x this entire year, so that is how often we use a canned product. Pumpkin is intimidating to use. I would want to find an organic one which would not b easy and carving it wld b a little more trouble. I have a nice organic butternut squash on my counter and I bet I could substitute that. I do love pumpkin & have grown them in the past. Next spring, I’ll have to do that again.
I’ve just started reading your website, so I’ve probably missed the explanation, but WHY use 8 eggs in this recipe? I’m thinking way too much protein, cholesterol, fat. Isn’t an egg or two good enough? AND I’ve read recently that cooking an egg out of the shell, allows the yolk to oxidize and it’s better to boil the eggs you eat. Don’t you just love the amount of contradiction you can find on the web?

Jordan Reasoner November 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hi Lizzy, the idea that fat and cholesterol is bad has been proven false. Please read some of the research here:

Ben November 8, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I’m going to try this recipe this weekend. I’m trying to decide if I should double the recipe like you did or not. How many pancakes did you make when you doubled the recipe?

Sarah Grant April 21, 2013 at 11:17 am

This recipe looks really good! But, I can’t eat eggs. Is there a way to alter this recipe to not add the eggs?

Sarah Grant April 21, 2013 at 11:18 am

Sorry. I just realized that the eggs are probably the main part of the recipe…do you have any other pancake recipes that don’t have eggs in them?

Bee January 30, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Cam this be made with frozen winter squash?

Also, how many servings is this?