The Role of Parasite and Bacterial Infections in IBD with Paul Jaminet (Podcast 47)

Paul-Jaminet-Perfect-Health-Diet

“I have battled Celiac disease for some time and got about 80% better with a SCD/Paleo diet… but the Perfect Health Diet was the first book that could finally answer that last 20% with science-based logic.”

That’s an Amazon review I wrote in October 2010 after I read Dr. Paul Jaminet’s book, The Perfect Health Diet. At the time, I had been on SCD over 1 year and wanted to graduate to Paleo, but I was still stuck. I was unsure what to do next, let alone worried about what I’d eat for the rest of my life.

Paul’s book helped answer some of those questions for me. It helped me realize I could live a long and healthy life with science explaining why.

That’s Why I Couldn’t Wait to Have Him on the Show One Day…

Along the way, Paul’s series on Bowel Disease helped me push through a few obstacles. For example, some of you may not know this, but one of the biggest health jumps I made came after I tested positive for a parasite and treated it in 2011 (more blog posts to come soon).

We’re going to be writing more about bacterial, fungal, and parasite infections in the future, but here’s the bottom line:

If you have a parasite, bacterial, or fungal infection, you need to treat it before you can get healthy. In most cases, diet alone can’t treat these buggers.

That’s why I decided to invite Paul on the show to discuss the role of parasite and bacterial infections in IBD. It’s critical for anyone wanting to restore their gut health and live a long, healthy life.

On This Podcast With Paul, You’ll Learn:

1:13 Paul’s journey to better health as a scientist and how he ended up writing a diet book

5:28 The framework of the perfect health diet – what to eat for optimal health

16:02 The difference between bacterial and parasite infections

22:21 What are signs and symptoms you have an infection?

26:15 The right tests to look for with these types of gut infections (order your own here)

30:44 Treatment options for bacteria and parasites

38:59 How to find more of Paul’s work and upcoming projects

Play

Thank you so much Paul, I know this podcast will help many of us struggling to fix our gut. I look forward to the new edition of the book.

If you’re ready to grab your copy of Paul’s new book, here’s where you can order from Amazon:

Preorder Paul’s new edition –> The Perfect Health Diet

– Jordan

P.S. – If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here. Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

Note: We earn a small commission if you use the product links on this page to purchase the products we mention. We only recommend products we would use or have used in the past. Your purchase helps support our site and ongoing research.

Bob September 27, 2012 at 9:39 am

Good one!…So did you guys start including some potatoes and rice into your diet? I have cut out all fruit and have been doing well….but I find that am eating so many meats, its probably not good…but if I dont, my weight goes down fast because of the lack of calories. I eat lots of healthy oils too and just started making my own kefir from raw milk..so far, no symptoms like the yoguart…could be the trype of milk.

The glucose defficiancy is interesting…how it affects the immune system…I am so use to SCD that Im afraid of sweet potatoes and brown rice…but really want to try. Why would he not recommend brown rice over white? Seems like white rice would raise blood sugar levels more than brown? Any thoughts?

Ben September 27, 2012 at 11:21 am

good interview.

Do you agree that simple sugars make sibo worse and starch means a problem in the colon? Isn’t the point of SCD to remove starch to treat zibo?

Loretta October 16, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Please keep more information coming on Parasite and Candida. There is not enough treatment info out there.

Jordan Reasoner October 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

You got it Loretta, stay tuned 🙂

Kristi November 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I’m listening now and there isn’t a good followup on what type of carbs to have? And YES PLEASE we need more info on Candida. I’ve been on SCD for 4 months now and the last 7 weeks I’ve had non-stop Candida infections and I’m trying new things after new things… More info! 🙂

Steven Wright November 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

@Kristi – You can get plenty of carbs on SCD if you want them through squash, fruit and honey. But eating carbs won’t fix Candida. You need to do an herbal or anti-yeast prescription protocol.

Brandon April 23, 2013 at 10:06 am

Hey Guys…just wanted to ask…do you follow the perfect health diet and consume some ‘safe starches’? (i.e. rice -potatoes)

Also, some other health experts (i.e. Donna Gates- Body Ecology) say that you should be able to eat red-skin potatoes and gluten free seed-like grains, as long as they are combined properly with other foods.

I have been doing SCD for over 2 years and still have fungal issues and adrenal fatigue, minor inflammation issues…so Im starting to add some small amounts of complex carbs and raw kefir Im actually feeling better. Once I started the principals of PH balance in Body Ecology Diet…I started having huge die offs…lots of dying parasites/bacteria without taking anything.

I havnt heard you guys say much on that…but without a proper PH…you can never elliminate parasites, bacteria as effective as you can if your slightly alkaline.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Siobhan April 29, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Great podcast! Thank you for sharing your story about the Strongyloides infection. I’ve been on SCD for almost a month with no improvement and recall Strongyloides showing up on my Metametrix 2105 results, but my doctor had dismissed it. Just made an appointment with him to address that. Thanks for the great work you do!

Hans Schuman May 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Great book! I am a bit confused though by the statement that “fructose promotes gut permeability”. Does this conflict with the advice in Elaine Gottshall’s book? Paul Jaminet also advises against use of honey while Elaine calls it “the sweetener of choice”. I would be grateful for some help understanding this.

Thanks!

jenni September 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm

I am suffering from my 5th infection from c.diff. I have colitis and diverticulitis as a result and am feeling hopeless. Has anyone dealt with cdiff repeatedly and had positive results with the SCD diet?