Hypochlorhydria: 3 Common Signs of Low Stomach Acid

Hypochlorhydria: 3 Common Signs of Low Stomach Acid

Hypochlorhydria or low stomach acid, is a commonly overlooked problem that is linked to other diseases like stomach cancer, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis. It’s a serious problem that needs to be investigated. If you’re having symptoms such as acid reflux, heartburn, burping, gas, bloating, or nausea after eating, then it’s very likely that you have a stomach acid issue.

People diagnosed with gastrointestinal issues, especially inflammatory bowel diseases, Celiac Disease or IBS, are at a higher risk of having stomach acid problems. If you’ve made several diet and lifestyle changes and you’re still not seeing the results you want, low stomach acid might be holding you back.

How hypochlorhydria hurts you:

1. Proper levels of stomach acid are needed to adequately absorb many nutrients including minerals (iron, copper, zinc and calcium), vitamin B12, folic acid and proteins.
  2. Stomach acid is also a crucial part of the immune system. The acid barrier of the stomach during normal states of health easily and quickly kills bacteria and other bugs that enter the body. It also prevents bacteria in the intestines from migrating up and colonizing the stomach.

Appropriate stomach acid levels are crucial for our immune system and for adequate nutrient status, both of which support total health. Today, I wanted to shine a light on the three most common patterns of hypochlorhydria that we see.

1. You Don’t Feel Good When You Eat Meat

A pattern is an observation linking several clues together, and this pattern is much more typical in women than men. So what’s going on here? I think it’s a two-part problem. The first is a physiological problem of low stomach acid. The second is a belief system that is created to cope with the symptoms of the physiological problem.

Here’s a typical scenario:

Mary is very in tune with her body. For as long as she can remember, she doesn’t like to eat red meat or large amounts of any meat. When pressed about it, she responds with “I just don’t like meat, never have. I don’t like how it makes me feel.”

I think she’s totally justified and validated in her feelings. I BELIEVE she feels bad, sluggish or nauseous when she eats a large portion of meat. And the reason is because she doesn’t have the ability to digest it. She needs more stomach acid to properly break down the protein structures. And without it, red, white or any kind of meat will probably make her feel worse than when she eats other types of foods that contain less protein.

If you’re someone who believes that you don’t like meat, I challenge you to test for low stomach acid, supplement with Betaine HCL, and regain your desire to eat meat again.

1. You Experience Frequent Acid Reflux After Eating

This is an especially paradoxical pattern to experience. On one hand you have stomach acid reaching unprotected areas of the esophagus causing burning pain. Then, if you take an antacid the pain usually goes away. Therefore, if A=B and B=C it is easy to make the jump to A=C. In this case, it’s easy to assume that high stomach acid levels cause heartburn or GERD. But that is simply untrue.

The modern media and drug marketing campaigns have brainwashed us to believe that acid reflux, or GERD, is due to high stomach acid levels. This is nothing more than propaganda from people who make money when you believe their message. In 2009, there were 110 million prescriptions filled for acid suppressing drugs! Would Mother Nature create a situation in which almost 1 out of 3 people created too much acid to be healthy? I don’t think so.

I’ve talked about GERD / heartburn before but I want to give you a quick summary. A leading theory of GERD goes like this. Insufficient stomach acid leads to a host of conditions that encourage the increase in intra-abdominal pressure (IAP). When IAP increases it pushes against the lower esophagealsphincter (LES). When the LES opens because of the pressure and even a microscopic amount of acid touches the inside of your esophagus it can produce large amounts of pain and burning. This is because the esophagus is not protected like the stomach from high acid levels.

As someone who formerly suffered from heartburn and acid reflux, I know how painful and distracting it can be. Please know that no one needs to suffer from acid reflux or GERD.

1. You Burp, Fart, or Get Bloated After Eating

After eating a meal, do you experience any of the following symptoms?

• Several burps shortly after finishing or burps later that taste and smell bad?
  • Experience gas 1-2 hours after eating?
  • Do you get bloated after eating that lasts for a few hours?
  • A heavy feeling in your stomach – like your food just sits there fermenting?

If you’ve answered yes to any of those questions, it’s likely that you are suffering from low stomach acid levels. These symptoms are good indications that your digestion is suffering. I wish I could point to some conclusive models or studies on what’s happening but I can’t. Unfortunately, all we have to go on are observations and theories.

So, what are the theories? The likely situation is the food you ate is being fermented by bacteria and the byproduct of their feast is gas. If your acid levels are low enough and bacteria are surviving the stomach, most people will get repeated burps after eating. Sometimes, you might even burp several hours after eating and taste ruminates of your meal. This is a strong indicator that the food is still in your stomach when it should be in your small intestine. The pH levels aren’t low enough to begin dumping the food into the intestines.

Bloating and farting following a meal could be explained by several problems. One of which is bacterial overgrowth in the stomach or upper small intestine. Lower acid levels would contribute to this by allowing these bacteria to live in the stomach or upper intestine. There also could be a slowing of the speed of digestion affording the bacteria longer access to the food.

I wish these problems were better understood. But what I can tell you is based on extensive self-experimentation and working with personal clients. When someone reports any of the problems above, there is a high chance they have low stomach acid.

How to Rule Out Hypochlorhydria (It’s Cheap)

I know you care about your health, otherwise you wouldn’t be reading this. That’s why I want to urge you to test for low stomach acid.  It is cheap and easy to get a good indication if you need to invest further into this potential health problem. Therefore, I think it’s a no-brainer to rule it in or out if you’re trying to take care of your health.

Tell me, do you suffer from any of the patterns of hypochlorhydria above? Have you started digging deeper to fix them? Did Betaine HCL supplementation help?

-Steve

Amber June 12, 2012 at 8:32 am

This sounds SO much like me. I never thought the issue could be low stomach acid, but I’m doing more research now and it seems like that could be the case. My doctors put me on Prevacid a while back and it made my issues 100x worse. I’m also on antibiotics a lot and I read that could be a cause? SCD was working great for me for a few months, then all of a sudden it totally stopped, and I would love to find the cause.

Steven Wright June 22, 2012 at 9:37 am

@ Amber – anytime you take antibiotics you wipe out huge portions of your gut flora. Eating SCD doesn’t protect you from antibiotics nothing does except massive amounts of probiotics. Which sounds like you should be heavily experimenting with at this point.

Angel April 16, 2014 at 11:12 am

I can have an almost normal life most of the time, except after I take antibiotics. Then my problems become unmanageable. I get reflux and IBS symptoms all the time, my stomach won’t leave the food go and I get asthma (my peak flow readings fall from 650 to around 450). So yeah, for me antibiotics seem to be the cause.

Jeans June 15, 2012 at 7:01 am

Hi Steve…
Take a look at this website:
The conclusion: CONCLUSIONS–A high frequency of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth was found in patients with RA (rheumatoid arthritis); it was associated with a high disease activity and observed in patients with hypochlorhydria or achlorhydria…

Another site:

Steven Wright June 22, 2012 at 9:33 am

@ Jeans – Thanks for that awesome study! In Dr. Pimentel’s book “A New IBS Solution” he talks about RA and Fibromyalgia patients suffering greatly from SIBO which we know hurts stomach acid production. The lowstarchdiet site is interesting… seems like a copy cat of SCD or GAPS or Paleo. Funny how so many people can come to the same conclusion’s and yet not talk to each other about it!

Teresa July 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I know so many people with arthritis issues young, old & very old. Does this mean that probiotics will make a difference or should they consult a Dr for more medicine with it as well ? Please see if you could find me an answer ! Further I would like to ”stress” :) that Celiac Disease causes stress. Stress kills the good bacteria. If you are under stress and you have Celiacs Disease you will experience ”more symptoms” = you will definetly need probiotics. But remember that the capsule of most probiotics contain gluten !!! So many things to think about & to remember, especially when you are not feeling well. (I have Celiacs.) Further I wish I knew more about blood types, especially with this (for me) new topic of acid in the stomach. I experience issues with my stomach, but though I need meat, because I thought I had to much acid in my stomach – now I have to investigate. Thanx for bringing it under our attention !

Steven Wright October 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm

@Teresa – I try to get everyone that will listen to me (like my family) to take probiotics. I think they are very helpful and important to everyone. But as you said you have to find the reputable high-quality products.

niraj October 10, 2012 at 5:20 pm

do not take probiotics if you have low stomach acid. I took align ( bifidus ) and caused malabsorption. I m really sick now.

blackbass July 26, 2012 at 8:18 am

why not raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar? i use the Bragg brand…unpasterurized…suppose to help with candida too

Steven Wright October 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm

@Blackbass – If it works for you then use it. It just won’t correct the underlying problem based on my research.

Robert January 23, 2013 at 10:00 pm

There is an organ in the stomach that produces the acid. It like all of your body’s organs and glands needs nourishment. Try 2 tbls of apple cider vinegar with “mother” (braggs), 2 tbls of localnatural honey with 4-5 oz of distilled 3x/day. It may take 1 day or 2 wks but continue untill condition is corrected and it will be corrected. You might also try not drinking any liquids 45 min before meal, none during meals and none for 45 min after meals. The liquids will dilute the stomach acid even more. In 15 years of herbal practice, this simple remedy has worked remarkably well. BTW, the vinegar works well as a probiotic. For the arthritis, your body is probaly acid. You most likely need to bring your pH in balance. Drink alkaline beverages and eat an alkaline diet.Your problem should go away. Get some litmus paper and check your saliva and urine pH. 7.0 is neutral and where you want to be. Hope I have not over stayed my welcome. To everyones good health.

Paula June 6, 2014 at 11:55 pm

So, if I have RA the vinegar/ honey is NOT recommended? What would an alkaline diet consist of?

Melanie June 12, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Where can I find Bragg’s vinegar from

Miranda H July 3, 2014 at 1:22 am

Hi, I have absolutely no stomach acid. I know that sounds extreme but it is not an exaggeration. My condition varies with my stress levels, and is slowly deteriorating. I currently take HCL w/ pepsin every time I eat anything and take supplements as well. I am also hypoglycemic so when I am not digesting and absorbing properly it becomes immediately apparent. My symptoms extend to hair loss, malnourished skin, nails, and now my teeth are beginning to be threatened. I will absolutely try your suggestion here and was wondering if you had any further thoughts. I discovered this issue with my Traditional Chinese Medical Dr and acupuncturist (thankfully) after all of the Dr’s I’ve seen said “you’re fine. Here’s our weight loss specialist”

Thank you for your time and suggestions

Carrie July 19, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Miranda , I have not been able to digest protein(meat ) , im also hypoglycemic im losing my hair , nails splitting vertically, how did you find out you have no acid ?

amanda October 3, 2014 at 1:10 pm

I am so glad to hear I am not the only one suffering from this. After years of agony I did enough research and realized its because of no stomach acid. The cause of this is not 100 % clear but my suspicions are that when I was pregnant with both my children I vomited continuously . I suspect it could have caused damage to my stomach lining.

debra November 17, 2014 at 9:31 am

Hi Miranda. I think you might consider having your thyroid tested. Take care

Kim August 25, 2014 at 12:03 am

Thanks Robert. I started this today. I was wondering if there are any symptoms to expect such as increased bloating at first and or bowel movements? Just wondering what to expect.

Danielle September 13, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I was wondering if I can test my five year old for low stomach acid. She was complaining about having burning in the back of her throat and her tongue has a white coating (I’ve read that this could be a sign of low stomach acid.) She also has swollen adenoids and problems with snoring at night–something which I’ve suspected may be due to allergies. I’m just not sure where to go to find out more or if I could help cure her by doing my own research and changing her diet. Can you help here?

Steven Wright September 14, 2012 at 11:42 am

@Danielle – With children you should definitely seek out a qualified holistic practitioner to help out. To answer the burning question in your head yes she could have low acid levels, actually sadly we are hearing more and more of children who do. But again you need to work with someone get some testing and change her diet to reduce toxic foods in it.

cathy January 26, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hello Danielle,

I’m having the same issue with my 5 year old. He’s been having these silent little burps for a year now. We took him to GI peds dr. She had us try him on miralax but he was still burping then we had the endoscopy done. He had minimal gastritis and duodenitis and some GER or avid was seen on biopsy. The dr. had us put him on zantac for the gastritis only not the acid. We tried it for 3 weeks and he was still burping so she had us stop it. She’s convinced it’s his constipation. She said we need to keep him on miralax for awhike so that he goes everyday. We are on and off that stuff and still can’t keep him going everyday. He will skip a day or two every other week. But I’m not sure this is whats causing his burping. Was wondering if your child is still going through this? Worried mom.

Tanya October 10, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Hi, Danielle,
there’s a link about gastric test that is suitable for children:
In Europe, decades ago, instead gastrin patients used 1 cup of meat broth or cabbage juice appr. 30 min. before test (according my grand mother).
Actually, this test was used not for the ulcer presence diagnostic, but for the stomach acidity level diagnostic.
Secondly, the Comprehensive Stool Analysis can show if stomach acidity is low or not : http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/stool.asp
How I know, the Heidelberg test is not suitable for children under 14 years old:

Jacqueline K October 21, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Wow…..not sure what to think…..very confused now. For someone like me, unable to afford the tests, what should I do to get some relief from my gut problems? I live in OKC area and no insurance…is there a doctor ANYWHERE that would be willing to help me???

Jordan Reasoner October 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Hi Jacqueline, start with the low cost baking soda test we talk about here:

Tanya October 10, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Hi, Jordan
did you heard about this test :
http://www.walgreens.com/marketing/library/contents.html?docid=003883&doctype=1 ?
It’s looks like very suitable for children.

Brooke October 31, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I’ve been wondering for awhile if I have acid reflux. whenever I ate greasy foods I would have bad gas to the point my stomach hurts and constant burping and nausea. I had gone to the doctor recently for my stomach issue and prescribed to me omeprazole 20mg for acid reflux. I thought it was working with abdominal cramping because I was also having that along with the other symptoms but instead I ended up having really bad constipation causing my stomach to hurt much worst. The doctor had told me to take it for a month but I stopped because of the constipation being bad taking it after two days. now reading about low acid I’m not sure if I have that instead of acid reflux.

Jordan Reasoner November 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hi Brooke, so glad you stopped taking it.

Please read this article on testing for low stomach acid: http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

Sophie November 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

I represent parents whose children are put on antibiotics when they are born, then the children are diagnosed with acid reflux and prescribed Gaviscon and Ranitidine and then the child becomes even more unwell, experiencing a lot of cold symptoms and easy bruising from normal handling. The child is then referred for a child protection exam which will include an X-ray. The X-ray shows periosteal reaction on the bones – typical of trace element deficiency, which the radiologist diagnose as ‘probably’ abusive fractures unless trace element deficiency is proved. When the Expert Paediatrician says there is “no evidence of trace element deficiency” due to no testing, despite there being no evidence at all of abuse by the parents, the child is adopted. It would be so helpful if there were experts who knew about hypochlorhydria reporting to the family court. If you know of anyone then please let me know. Thanks.

Jordan Reasoner November 10, 2012 at 11:33 am

I’m so sorry to hear that Sophie. Maybe you could reach you to Dr. Wright, the author of “Why Stomach Acid is Good For You”

anna November 15, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I’ve been treated for too much stomach acid for 10 years now (PPI’s)
I am worse not better. I now realise that I have too little acid. I’ve taken cider vinegar, which helps, but it’s not enough. I tried betain HCI .It helps, but I seem to need more and more. How much is it safe to take? Also I can’t find betain with pepsin, is it important! I have awful Burps, wind, and bloating, I feel so uncomfortable after eating,
especially at bedtime. Is there any hope for me!!
Anna

Todd November 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm

So glad and encouraged I found this site. I probably take antibiotics twice a year but this past year was particularly difficult so I did three runs of antibiotics since May. During that time my stomach was always upset so I was consuming tons of Pepto, laxatives and anti acid tabs. The past month the bloating I experience is overwhelming. Nearly everything I eat now produces massive bloating that pushes on my diaphragm and spine and makes breathing a challenge in addition to making me look 25 pounds heavier. Had an upper GI which showed mild acid reflux and doctor said eat in moderation carbs/fat/protein and take Prilosec and probiotics. But during all this time I rarely if ever feel heartburn. Tons of belching — deep gurgly burps, bowel movements not regular, just eaten food feels stuck at the top of my throat, but no heartburn. I’m very active, don’t drink, don’t smoke, and I don’t eat a ton of carbs but I’m at wits end here. I do have a very stressful life which I am working on. I have ordered digestive enzymes and HCI and will check back in. I guess my only question is should I stay on Prilosec or Zantac when I don’t have any burning sensation?

Jennifer November 19, 2012 at 12:52 am

I have a lot of gut issues-bloating, gas, burping, etc. and my biggest problem is my rosacea. I have felt for a long time that it is linked to diet and digestion. I have been reading a lot about this low stomach acid theory and it makes so much sense to me. I started the testing with the hcl tablets with pepsin that I’ve read so much about. I started taking 1 pill with a meal with meat and then moved to 2 pills the next day and then 3 pills the next day and so on. I took 7 hcl pills with my lunch today with 4-6 oz of meat to see if I would get that burning and I still have not. Once I figure out how many pills to take before I get that “burning” feeling, do I start taking that many with every meal? Every snack? I’ve started juicing also and wondering do I take the hcl pills when I juice? Should I be taking additional enzymes and a probiotic along with the hcl pills? I am on a desperate search for answers as my skin & gut condition are terrible! I would appreciate any advice you can offer.

kathryn January 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Jennifer, I too have long suspected my roscea is connected to digestive problems. I have also observed that people who have been prescribed Proton Pump Inhibitors often talk about athletes foot and yeast problems and also cold sores etc which surely shows the immune system is involved. Leads me to believe that low acid is more likely to be causing the bloat than too much acid. I also think some research could be done into all the above and the occurence of pylori bacteria in the gut.
Hope you get it sorted, think we need to be proactive and link our observations.

Theresa Rogers November 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I’ve never had symptoms from anything but dairy, not meat. Meat has never bothered my stomach. I originally thought I had developed a recent intolerance of lactose, so I cut those out for a couple weeks, and my symptoms went away. But before taking that extreme measure,(I ate 2%milk/bran cereal every morning) I took the apple cider vinegar for my symptoms, and It also worked immediately.
So, if I try the HCL, should I use it with milk since that is what causes my symptoms? Or is too little acid only cause by meat? I’ve eaten dairy products all my life.(52yr old female) The intolerance to it is so sudden and I miss my cereal & frozen yogurt. :(

Jordan Reasoner November 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Stomach acid supports the digestion of meats (mainly protein) in the stomach. The milk issue likely had more to do with the inability to digest the milk sugar called lactose.

Bet December 30, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Theresa, you should try going gluten free. Many people who think they have late onset lactose intolerance really have gluten intolerance that has disrupted their digestive system so much, they can no longer tolerate dairy. Switch out anything with wheat (your bran cereal may be the issue, not the milk) with rice or corn cereal/flour. Until you are able to tolerate dairy, you can try lactaid milk, coconut milk, almond milk and coconut ice cream which is very good. Or you can get a lactase supplement that you take when you eat dairy that will help you digest it.

AmandaonMaui December 18, 2012 at 2:15 am

I have been gluten free for five years. I ate something in late July that I later suspected to contain gluten after having my normal gluten reactions of diarrhea, brain fog, and anxiety. However, after 12 days of diarrhea and upper abdominal pain (stomach area just below the junction of the ribs) I saw multiple medical doctors. I took omeprazole magnesium 40mg for one month along with sucralfate. The pain was greatly reduced, and I was able to eat a mostly normal diet. However, after that month I stopped taking the drugs and my stomach pain returned. I switched back to a bland diet and began taking DGL, Slippery Elm and Marshmallow Root for a couple of months. I just saw a gastroenterologist. Did a fecal fat test, an ultrasound and an endoscopy all which came back normal. The doctor had no ideas to offer, and suggested I just take the omeprazole magnesium again. I have been on it for three days with no improvement. I wonder if my stomach problem is related to hypochlorhydria or achlorhydria instead of hyperchlorhydria.

How can I find out if my stomach acid is too low? What tests can my medical doctor run? Should I stick to the PPI even though I don’t know for sure whether my problem is too little or too much acid? What would you do?

Jordan Reasoner December 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm
Christine Horning December 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I had to have a total gastrectomy 6 years ago. Since then I feel like someone has sucked all the energy out of me. I now have compression fx’s in T 9 from osteoporosis along with other health problems. How could I have any HCL, let alone low HCL

Chris January 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Could low stomech acid also cause some weight loss due to not being to digest food properly ?

Steven Wright January 5, 2013 at 10:21 am

@Chris- Yes it’s about what we eat but about what we absorb in the GI tract. Malabsorption of foods which is common for those with low stomach acid can cause a range of problems from brain stuff down to weight loss.

Chris January 5, 2013 at 11:24 am

Thank you Steven. I have been dealing with digestive issues for almost a year and a half now. I woke up one morning after eating a bunch of roasted peanuts the night befor when my gut felt horrible; it was like everything was just sitting there and never digested. I thought this would be gone in a couple of days after a good bowel movement. Wow, to my surprise nothing but problems since. I have had CT scan, ultra sound, endoscopy and Gastric emptying test. All came back clear. My problem has been nothing but digestive issues. My food does not move or digest like it once did. I have lost weight due to this problem and I hate it because I love food( good food). Sometimes I will have a good day; every now and then I can eat with a little happiness. It’s not often enough to gain the weight back that I have lost. Sorry I’m going on forever but I would like to know from you and those you have spoke with in regards to this problem of low acid, is it risky to take a supliment if you have high acid. I do get some burning discomfort if it is a really off day, so I’m confused. Also, is it normal for my stomech to feel so bloated only after a small snack or a few bites of food? My intestinal track feels like it is inflamed or something; this constant feeling of food just sitting there. I do not have any IBS issues but my stool does have I digested food in it, and is loose. Sorry for being grafic, I’m just trying to figure this out already as it is a big interference for daily living. I’m sure you have heard this a few hundred times. Thank you kindly Steven. :)

Steven Wright January 5, 2013 at 4:41 pm

@Chris – You’re in a cozy environment nothings to graphic around here… it’s the new normal :) You tell a common tale, you will need proper GI pathogen testing to make sure nothing is causing your problems. What your experiencing isn’t normal and there is a root cause. Jordan and I work with clients one-on-one if your interested email us at jordanandsteve@scdlifestyle.com

Laura February 5, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Hi Chris, Six months ago I was having a similar problem. Losing weight at over a pound a day with stomach pain and esophagial discomfort and voice loss. I follwed the advice from healingnaturallybybee.com and I am so much better. I have gained back my weight and I am able to eat more foods than before. I also feel happier and look better than I have ever looked. On Bee’s plan I ate organic unrefined coconut oil, organic butter, 84 mineral salt (1 tsp per day). homemade organic chicken stock with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in the stock. Bee’s site gives the easy recipe. Cook vegetables well and eat with the butter at every meal. Organic free range eggs up to four a day. Meats include: lamb, beef, chicken etc. Cook with coconut oil, ditching all other oils except olive oil but don’t cook with it. No bread, potatoes, rice, cereal, carrots, tomotoes. Eat at least two meals per day and up to three per day and eat enough of the foods she mentions. Drink the home made stock with every meal. This diet helps a lot of health issues. I am able to digest more foods after six months on this diet but I had to stick to Bee’s plan to the letter for at least five months. She does state that some people will still need HCl too but I did not take it. I purchased it but I wanted to see what my digestive system would do. I was a raw food vegetarian before so the diet changes were hard for me but after experiencing the results I will never go back. I did see doctors first but the barium swallow for the X-rays made me worse also. The GI doctor’s nurse cancelled my appointment as the doctor had never heard of low acid. The ENT doctor said keep taking the prescribed Prilosec which was making me quite ill. I know how scary it is to be getting thinner and weaker every day. This was my answer and I sincerely hope that it will be yours also. I saw a few doctors first to rule out other possible causes.

Beata May 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hey I’ve been suffering with diarrhea and nauseau and upper stomach pain for the last year. Can’t seem to process fats or sugars. I do have low stomach acid and on top of that h pylori, yeast parasites in my stomach. Have been on many herbal treatments in the last year and nothing is helping. I exp a lot of dizziness, swelling of my throat, extreme cryn n irritation, headaches, muscle cramping, my chest squeezing in, undigested food. I just started blending greens n fruits. Can I take acid pills with just veggies n fruit? It’s a living nightmare.
Beata

Jason brown February 3, 2014 at 5:01 pm

I’m really struggling to understand why doctors are denying this exists??? I’m losing weight struggling to eat have constant indigestion and a sore throat and taste of acid in my mouth. Doctors are meant to be there to help us it’s very worrying

Marcia Russell January 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Please help!! I stumbled onto your website and after years of taking antacids have begun to rethink that I have a problem with high acid and that it is a low acid problem. I have weaned myself off of Prilocec OTC and just did the baking soda test today. No burping. I will be going and getting some Betaine HCL with pepsin and trying that next. My question and problem is that not only do I have severe acid reflux now, without the prilocec, but also the end of my esophagus where it joins the stomach is now in severe pain. It kind of feels like a spasm, cramping pain. Is that from the pressure building up? Is it from acid? I’m at a loss as to what to do next. I have also been drinking apple cider vinegar and that helps some but the cramping is still there. Thanks for all your information!!!

Tanya October 11, 2013 at 12:02 am

Hi, Marcia,
you got the rebound effect:”Antacids are medicines that neutralize stomach acid. … antacids show the most rapid onset of action, but may cause “acid rebound,” a condition in which the gastric acid returns in greater concentration after the drug effect has stopped”(http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/antacids). If you stopped with taking your antacids abruptly, you will face this effect. Doc. Wright in his book “Why stomach acidity is good for you” recommends to decrease the dosage gradually.
I stopped with my antacids abruptly as well and had this effect approx. one month , but severity decreased significantly in one week. Apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon with a cup of water before every meal- use a stow to protect teeth) marshmallow root, slippery elm, grated organic carrots, papaya enzymes. Write a diary to check how your symptoms will change. I believe you should be fine. You just need to find the appropriate dosage of Betaine HCl with pepsin and pancreatic enzymes. I don’t have heartburn any more.

Tanya October 11, 2013 at 12:24 am

Marcia, did you make the endoscopy? If you pain will stay on the same high level you need to check the condition of the esophageal lining.

gshan January 8, 2013 at 1:39 am

hello,
excess gas has taken a toll on me for the past 1 week,because of it i wasnt able to go out with friends for the new year party.
i have been to the ER twice in the past five days.
it starts with my abdomen inflating ,then there is pressure on my chest and because of the uncomfort my pulse increases and a situation like a panic attack ensues(drymouth and hyper breathing,light headedness)
My whole tummy bloats but i can hardly pass out gas.
the magnitude is such that i have been rendered dysfunctional for work.
I hope the problem ends soon, rabium and a relaxant have been prescribe for now but i have been wondering now that is it due to low acid levels or the opposite.

erik February 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Hi gshan–
I had/have something very similar which sent me to the ER twice. I’m now convinced it’s hypochloridria -> bacterial fermentation. When I eat carbs at night it’s particularly bad. But now I take a couple simethicone (e.g. Gas-X) tablets if I have trouble and the problem goes away in about 30 minutes. I can start burping, then the racing pulse, night sweats, panic, confusion etc. subside.
E

patty m January 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I have been suffering with fire burps for almost a year if I eat tamales. I can eat eggs or drink milk without it freezing up my stomachn causing me to puke as soon as it hits my stomach. If I eat corn it numbs my stomach n taste rotten. If I eat now four hours later the food is sitting heavy in my stomach. I burp repeatedly all day. And if I fall asleep after eating before 4hours i’ll wake up choking. I dnt know what to do since I dont have medical card. Im 22. Pls help n explain what else I could do without getting a high bill from the doctors.

Jordan Reasoner January 9, 2013 at 1:33 am

Hi Patty – first avoid eating those foods. Next, test for low stomach acid:

Martin @ Leaky gut research January 9, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Betaine HCL is good for moderate to severe cases. Drinking water with lemon juice worked for me just fine. Any other natural remedies?

Stephanie January 27, 2013 at 1:03 am

My daughter was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis. I’m not convinced that’s the true culprit of her symptoms. I have been to two doctors that won’t give my thoughts of low stomach acid any validity. I was told by one that she was too young for low acid (she is 20) and the other was ready to ship her off for a gastric pacemaker! She has a lot of stomach pain after eating meat. I’m scared for her to try the baking soda test. She vomits frequently. Acid reducers make her symptoms worse but the doctors say it’s necessary to protect her esophagus. It’s very frustrating not knowing which way to go.

Tammy January 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

and, will the tests for low stomach acid work foe me on all that zantac? I take so much because a medicine I take (the Dr. says) causes acid reflux.

Jordan Reasoner January 31, 2013 at 3:39 am

Most people have to taper off over a 2-3 week period and it won’t be easy. From there, you can begin testing HCL.

atwitsend January 28, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hi Steven, Jordan,

Great info here and certainly want to try this to rectify my gas issues. Some history, I had GERD and hiatus hearnia tested almost 10 years back. I was given Nexium which was a great relief to be honest and since then I used to pop over the counter omeprazole 20mg occassinally say once in 3-4 days upon discomfort. I also tried 40mg but once in a week. However, I started having flatulence issues late 2011 and the whole of 2012 have suffered badly. I stopped taking omeprazole and haven’t taken it since more than one year now. But I think it has done some damage. I started taking ACV last summer ( around may/june) with two spoons before a meal. However, I continued to have flatulence issues. After few months, I felt little better and got little lazy with taking ACV ( on and off ). The flatulence issues have come back very hard and I feel it has worsened my situation to the extent that I am afraid to eat especially in my office. After the meal, in a sitting position, my tummy starts making noises and it gets relieved only after passing out the gas. Strangely I found was that taking boiled eggs and Chicken doesn’t give me gas (or atleast not within 1 or 2hrs). I also found that my flatulence issues mainly occur in the evening suggesting that whatever I eat takes few hours before churning it to GAS. Going through the tests currently, however I strongly suspect the flatulence issues are connected to my GERD and taking Omeprazole for long time. I will try the Betaine HCL test. Though I am unsure on the meat intake. Do I need to eat Meat to take HCL tablets? I don’t eat Meat regularly so any guidance on how I can take HCL tabs would be great. can I try the same thing with ACV?

I am ATWITSEND ! Appreciate your help.

Jordan Reasoner January 31, 2013 at 3:30 am

Only take HCL with protein heavy meals… so yes, with meat only.

Dave March 6, 2013 at 9:59 am

Just take the Betaine HCL it has been a life changer for me. I had all of these symptoms and more. It had made me feel old and feeble,LOL. Once I tried the Betaine HCL I could tell a difference during the first meal,and a few days later I felt better than I had in 5 years.

Tessa March 9, 2013 at 5:37 am

Hi I was tested and although didnt have any of the above mentioned symptoms, I do have low stomach acid…I started taking bhcl and now I am struggling so much with the above mentioned symptoms! Any suggestions?

Jeff C March 14, 2013 at 1:09 am

Please help. Being a typical male…I have kept a troublesome health issue from family / friends / and doctor. I thought maybe I developed bulimia through body image issues. I throw up almost daily. I have never used my fingers to purge. It just happened one day when I was in my mid twenties. Ate too much and the stomach simply rejected the food. I stand over the toilet when I feel it coming on and the retch just happens spontaneously. I am now 43 and I am fed up. I have noticed that it almost always happens when I eat gluten rich foods. However it has become a reflex whenever I overeat anything. I naturally have a large muscled frame even though I have not exercised regularly for years, so it would appear as though there is no mal absorption going on with most proteins. The weird thing is I never experience a burning during or after a purge and rarely have your typical acid indigestion symptoms even though it would stand to reason that I am exposing my esophagus to stomach acid daily (for 18 years). In fact my esophagus feels as if there has been no damage done to it at all. When the food comes up it is usually within 15 minutes and it simply looks as if it were food that was in a course blender (no bile). Typically this only happens late in the day. Maybe I have 2 stomachs…one which screens foods that I am allergic to and only the 2nd one has acid. Obviously I am joking…but that is what it feels like. I am going to seek medical help…do you have any sense as to what is going on. It can’t be celiac….my skin is extremely healthy and have all my hair…I look more like 33 than 43. Given the above history..I should look 53.

Steven Wright July 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Jeff I’m glad your ready for change brother! Start with your diet switch to SCD or Paleo right away. Then create a support structure for total health which should not only include medical practitioners but someone who can work with you on your mindset and psychology. Health is an intersection of both physical and mental strength.

Nicole Cox August 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Jeff, have you found any answers about why you are throwing up regularly? I have a client that is experiencing the same thing and I am trying to figure out how to help her with her diet. I suspected low stomach acid but I am worried it could also be something more serious. Any information would be appreciated.

Jeff C March 14, 2013 at 1:11 am

Hypertrophic Pyloric Stenosis in the Adult

could this be it???????

Marc March 14, 2013 at 4:58 am

Hi guys,

Great work – and huge respect to you both for helping to turn the lives of so many people around.

Your articles on HCL supplementation are really interesting and I’m following your guidance get the right dosage. But can I ask a couple of questions?

* Do you still need HCL if you are drinking health protein shakes? I mix protein powder, almond butter, greens, flaxseed etc along with water to make a high protein/calorie shake for after the gym. The blender breaks the food down into an easy to drink meal – but will I still need the HCL to absorb the protein and other nutrients?

* How long does it generally take to get digestion – and general health – back on track once you are taking HCL? I feel I have found the right dosage (6-7 tablets) and my stool no longer has undigested food in it…..however, my tongue has still been white and breath a bit bad after eating. Is this die-off, will it improve after continued use? of HCL?

* Lastly, how are you guys getting on with your HCL supplementation? Do you still take the same dosage and is it still working well?

All the best, Marc

Steven Wright July 5, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Hey Marc thanks man!

– Not always as the protein powders are generally already broken into amino acids which is one of the actions of pepsin. However the only way to know would be to test it. Everyone will likely be different and it probably varies per protein powder and source.

– HCL can only do so much, a white tongue and other symptoms are likely related to the root causes of why the stomach acid is low to begin with. More testing is where you need to head after you’ve figured out how to create good digestion.

– Jordan takes a lot less now, mine still varies based on my stress levels, travel and overall health. Still working on the root causes. Always new levels to shoot for

christina March 21, 2013 at 2:54 am

I have had hiatal hernia, small bacterial overgrowth, GERD, gastroparisis, you name it. I have Celiac, although never diagnosed officially. I feel worst now eating supposedly better. I haven’t cut out all grains though. Beef is the hardest to digest and I am just taking medicine for pancreas. I also have hypothyroid which effects so much too.

Brenda Nettleton March 27, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Thanks 4 the info! Could this be causing my total protein levels yo be low?

Hali LaFountain April 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Hi I have all of these symptoms of low stomach acid and it makes perfect sense. I have Achalasia, which is a disease that kills all the nerve endings in the esophagus so then the sphincter doesn’t open properly resulting in food getting stuck in the throat. I had surgery 10 years ago for it. They removed my sphincter and did a partial stomach wrap to stop the acid. the surgery helped some but i still struggle to get down every meal. To help my food down i have to drink tons of water, which i know is bad to do, but that’s the only way i can eat. Because of this i have awful digestion problems..heartburn, bloating, gas, constipation and also my joints are staring to feel inflamed. I have all sorts of “tricks” that help and try use natural remedies but i tend to reach for the tums a few times a day. I know diet/lifestyle/stress affects my swallowing/digestion so much. I haven’t tried the SCD diet 100% yet but i’m curious if it could help. I take digestive enzymes but haven’t tried HCL. I’m willing to give anything a chance if it can help.

Connie Dula April 29, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I started HCL 2 weeks ago and have not had to take a Prilosec or antacid since. Also, diarrhea has all but gone. I stopped GLUTEN intake and lactose intake as well. Started juicing. Feeling SO much better.

Penny May 8, 2013 at 12:27 pm

i am 65, not overweight, exercise,and take lots of vitamins, and eat a low carb diet. I was forced to go to a gastrointerologist to get my acid reflux in check, and I am still having acid reflux. Yesterday I got on the Internet to look up this problem, and that is where I read about too low gastric acid. That is exactly what I think I have, so I did not take my prevacid this morning. I drank lemon water and took some digestive aid, and I have had no acid reflux today. Do you think gall bladder disease could be related to low gastric acid? For the past 5 years I have had gall bladder attacks, and now treat it with diet. I have no stones, just a malfunctioning gall bladder.

mypoorboys May 13, 2013 at 5:17 am

Hi, just wondered if babies can be born with low stomach acid?

Both my boys have reflux in varying degrees, my eldest is 3 and still has many digestive problems and ongoing gerd. He was on a PPi for almost a year when a baby. My younger son is 8 months and he also has reflux. zantac for him, but while his brother was a ‘silent refluxer’ as a baby, he regurgitates all day long… can a baby this young have low stomach acid.

It seems to make sense to me (i suffer on and off with digestive probs, could I have passed on probs to my babies?) but I know any GP or Paed I speak to will laugh in my face. What kind of practitioner should I try see? Nutritionist? Homeopath?

I’d really love to get to the root of my babies problems. Any thoughts?

joyce saint May 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I have read all the comments with much interest as i have similar problem.
I do not know what all the abbreviations mean such as scd, hcl,gerd,acv,gi tract,btw,
and what is baking soda test.
From Joyce Saint

Sandy Linton May 22, 2013 at 5:02 pm

After reading your site,I don’t know where to start.Low acid I’m thinking.I have had stomach issues all my life.Dr.s tell me that I have IBS,I’VE HAD ulcers,polops. But for a while now I have nausea,bloating,stomach pain,and lately horrible vomiting,it feels like nothing is moving or digesting,it is food that I ate days ago sometimes.it’s awful,and the acid reflux too,horrible headache also.I am literally can’t keep anything down! I am at my wits end.I don’t know what to do.so should I try to go the low acid way.I’m just so sick right now, I can’t think straight.Help me Please!! Thank You!! S.

carmel July 23, 2013 at 7:38 am

Hi Sandy You can contact me direct if you wish for mutual support. (So can anyone else with similar problems if they wish). My email is rychhmo@aol.com. My name is Carmel. I know what it is to suffer and worry so much about it.
Hope you feel better soon.

Angel April 16, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I’m sure many of us would like to hear from you Sandy. How are you doing after the low stomach acid treatment?

karen dow May 31, 2013 at 8:23 am

I have stumbled across this website and found it extremely helpful. I have suffered all my life from symptoms that I am now learning may be associated with low acid levels in my gut. I think I will test for it and see what results are.

Andrew June 29, 2013 at 11:29 am

Hi Guys, I’ve been on SCD for a year now. I’ve made a lot of progress, but still am pretty symptomatic and seem to still have trouble breaking down food. I’ve tried a couple of digestive enzymes, but haven’t noticed any significant improvement while on them. I recently purchase the GI Pro Health enzymes and am hoping for better success with those.

Anyway, I found this article really interesting. I have had reflux and heartburn issues ever since my health crashed about 2.5 years ago. It drives me nuts. I though, like everyone else, that it was related to too much acid. As a result, I’ve taken about every acid blocker out there. None of them really work minus Zantac (and only it a little bit). Once I started SCD, I dropped all my medications and know now how bad acid suppressor are for one’s health.

I still am not entirely sure that I have low HCL. about 1.5 years ago I took an enzyme with HCL and Pepsin in it and it made me sick (nauseated, burning). However, it’s possible that there’s was something else in the product that caused those symptoms. I also did not realize that HCL really needs to be taken with a chunk of meat. I’ve noticed that when I eat red meat I just burp and burp and burp for hours on end. Actually, I burp for hours on end anyway, but red meat makes it far worse. I’m guessing you guys would suggest trying some HCL?

It just seems like I’ve bought so many supplements and very few of them actually work. Thanks for your help.

Steven Wright July 5, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Yes the burping your describing is the golden symptom that is showing you that it’s highly likely that your HCL levels are low. Causing the food to sit around and ferment in the gut. Try using the Betaine HCL dosing article I wrote to find your dosage. Use HCL only pills for it.

Nick July 6, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I am currently on Prev-Pack (14 day treatment) to treat Helicobacter pylori. As part of the Pack, Prevacid is a PPI I believe that helps reduce excess stomach acid. My question is does Prev-Pack eliminate all stomach acid, along with bad and good bacteria? If so, what can I do to restore good bacteria/flora to the gut once the treatment is over? My Gastroenterologist said I may have IBS, however, not sure if it is C or D. In the morning, I go at least 2-3 sometimes 4-5 times. This, however, is basically the food that I consumed the night before. During the day, I may be go once or twice. The motion is somewhat hard to pass and the stool is soft. Could it be that I am irregular? Any advice on both questions would help a great deal. Thanks!

Nick

Eleanor July 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Hi Steve,
Just curious, I know that you said after one year, you were feeling frustrated that your stomach acid did not return. Any progress in that area? did you stomach acid return to normal?

Steven Wright July 10, 2013 at 11:25 am

Not completely fixed as of July 2013. Still working on it. Getting closer each month, but stomach acid is one of the last things to return it appears.

Brittany July 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm

So both low and high levels of stomach acid can lead to acid reflux?

And if pH is 7 is that normal to still have acid reflux? If ulcer is present in esophagus HCL should not be used?
Thanks guys

Steven Wright July 29, 2013 at 10:41 am

Yes, but it’s thought to be about 90% of the time low acid levels. Check this post out http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

carmel July 23, 2013 at 7:36 am

I am at my wit’s end with this. To make it worse I live on my own and hvae no family or friend who can truly help. I became ill about a month ago. In the past I had a lot of sinus and ear problems and every so often would take a medicine called MUCODYNE which thins the mucus so that it leaves the ears and you can hear again.
I took some and it hurt my stomach . This had never happened before. I stopped taking it but then felt very quesy and out of sorts down there in my belly for a while.
The doctor said it was an ulcer and gave me medicine for that. For a few days it relieved it but then it did not. The second doctor said it is a urine infection (even though I have none of the other syhmptoms that go with that). The third said
acid reflux and gave me something for that. I am not satisfied ith any of them and unable to go to someone else – I live in the Uk and I do know what I am talking about. I am waiting for results on various tests which I have insisted on.
My belly is always hurting and it makes no difference what I eat or drink.
It is very uncomfortable and makes it hard to do anything, even just sit and watch tv .
Painkillers either do not help or seem to turn it into a different sort of horrible feeling.
I wondered if my mucus from my ears and nose had run down into my stomach
and started this. I am very much a believer in alternative health and usually eat quite healthily. Would appreciate your input and thoughts please.

Kate November 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Hi Carmel, The mucus from your ears and nose does run into your stomach and if you have low stomach acid, your stomach cannot digest the mucus and it makes your stomach feel really sick. Good Luck – I feel for you.

-Kate

Chad August 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I’m simply in shock. I have suffered from acid reflux for the past 3 years. During that time, my only chance at survival was to take Prilosec daily. During my time on Prilosec, I tried several times to quit. Each time, my acid was roaring back by day 3. But since reading about HCL supplementation, I recently stopped Prilosec and began HCL. It was completely bizarre. Here I was previously taking something to lower my acid, and now I’m actually taking something to increase my acid! Well, after the first day I had no discomfort, but I attributed that to Prilosec still being in my system. Day 2 also went by without a hitch… as did days 3, 4, 5. Still all along, I was thinking this must be a fluke – it can’t possibly be real. I kept thinking any day now, I was going to get slammed with acid reflux. Well.. those days turned into weeks, and now it’s been 5 weeks and I’m still experiencing no acid problems! This is simply unreal to me. How can this be true??? Sure sure… I read all of the science behind it, but I’m still shocked! Looking back, I not only had acid reflux, but all of the symptoms of low acid: gas, bloating, burping. It’s incredible to me to think how dependent I was on Prilosec (and how much money they made off of me) during that time. Now… I think about all of the other people who are in the same situation I was previously in.

PS: Not sure what this means, but the HCL and Pepsin didn’t seem to work as well for me. Only taking straight HCL (no Pepsin) is my magical cure.

Alyeska August 13, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I started taking a digestive enzyme supplement with Betaine HCL and pepsin 3 days ago and my acid reflux hasn’t improved. When I tried increasing the dose, the reflux became worse. I’m concerned that I may have an ulcer, in which case, would the HCL be doing more harm than good? Should I continue trying different dosages? Or could I be reacting to something else in the product?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Louise August 20, 2013 at 8:10 am

I have had a cough with mucus since 2005. I’ve been given antibiotics and steroids to knock it out but it always returns. Lately I notice I only cough after eating, or if I recline. My doc says its acid reflux. I do not burp or pass gas much and recently i had a crohns flate which maybe was brought on by the antibiotics. As part of trying to treat the cough I’ve taken Prilosec but it did nothing. Two Tums after I eat helps but I don’t want to take Tums all the time. Could this be from low stomach acid? I have not seen any posts from people who have the cough as a symptom. Thanks.

kartik September 7, 2013 at 3:15 am

I have a few of these symptoms like acid refluxes , stomach ache and the others you have mentioned. But I have another problem that is burning sensation in the urine. Can this be related to Hypochlorhydria? Please help!

bobM September 9, 2013 at 9:38 am

Very interesting topic, with hugely important “downstream” implications into many other potential GI problems.

But, doesn’t it seem better to try discover the individual causes for someone’s hypochlorhydria and address those, rather than just supplement?

My worry is that by supplementing, the natural sensors and mechanisms that are meant to turn on and off the HCL pumps and regulate the timing and production volume will end up toned down, exacerbating the requirement for supplementation, or at least a making it a more permanent condition.

What does the research suggest and what do the experienced and knowledgable clinical practitioners have to offer us on ways to get our natural HCL production ramped up and more sensitive to the real-time needs in the digestion cycle?

This kind of question may be pushing the limits of our understanding of how all this works, but it seems to me to be the best way to go if possible. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Cisco September 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I have had some success with hcl capsules, (Super Enzymes) by NOW. I take them with meals and i dont get so bloated and feel a little better. The problem i am having is 2 or 3 hours after the meal my stomach gets tight. At this point i try a little lemon juice and for some reason my stomach starts making crazy sounds and i feel better again. I feel that the citric acid in the lemon juice is causing is. Do we always have stomach acid in our stomach, even a little? Should i be taking alot more hcl with my meals instead of one Super Enzyme with meals?

michael rosen October 4, 2013 at 11:31 am

Hi Steven & Jordan!

Great work and great blog. However, only briefly do you discuss one key factor, that being what do you do to get one’s stomach acid back to normal function (w/o betaine hcl)?

I’ve tested positive for low stomach acid and have been using betaine hcl, but when I go off it, I still have the same problems, any tips/ideas? In one comment you said yours still isn’t back either? What are you doing to get it “back”?

Thanks so much keep up the good work we all really appreciate it!

Francisco October 9, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Hi all,

How much hcl is typically needed during a meal? I know it depends on how much protein you are eating but is their a base guideline that one should follow. Also the more hcl i take the better i burp. Is this common?

Steven Wright October 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

It could be if you still under dosing. See this post to answer your question http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/10/4-common-betaine-hcl-mistakes/

Cisco October 12, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Really need help. I have been diagnosed with gastroparesis. I have lost a lot of weight but I have found thru trial and error that Hcl helps me. The more I take the better I feel after a meal. The real problem is that after 2 or 3 hours I get the worst heartburn you can imagine. Have you had any patients go thru this and is there anyway around this. I have tried digestive bitters but that really didn’t help. I have also used ACV but it just doesn’t work as well as the hcl.

Francisco October 14, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Is there a way to increase the strength of your stomach acid without increasing the amount. I take hcl and it seems to help right after a meal but 3 hours later i get the worst heartburn ever.

Linda Griffith October 27, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Where do I find HCL?

Esther November 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

Ok. Here we go. I am 55 years old and have been a vegetarian most of my life but eventually gave up meat permanently 25 years ago (humanitarian reasons and also was always repulsed by it). I do eat dairies but no fish, no chicken or beef (no flesh food), and an occasional egg a few times a year. But recently (the past year and a half) I have become addicted to Cherry Coke Zero: one small bottle a day. I know, I know how stupid that was. About 2 weeks ago, I developed a putrid taste in my mouth but only when I swallow and not all the time. It comes and goes during the day. My throat feels irritated and I also get vey small little belches. I do not have any other symptoms besides those. No burning or pain of any kind, no bloating, no gas at all, no constipation, very regular bms. Last week I had what looked like a food poisoning attack: nausea and throwing up. I had stopped the Cherry Coke Zero a couple of days before the food poisoning and have been very strict with my diet since then. I do not drink alcohol or coffee or tea (never have, no desire for it), no smoking and no drugs (also no desire for it), no medication of any kind. I suspect I have GERD but can’t tell if it’s from too much or too little acid. And since the HCL seems to require a high protein intake which I never do I am at a lost at what to do. Otherwise I am pretty healthy. Any ideas???

lucy 286 November 22, 2013 at 5:26 am

Hi There,
I was diagnosed with LPR after after having a constant sore throat and sore esophogus. I had no idea how this had come about as it all just seemed to happen one day.. I had never experienced burping or indigestion and my diet was very good always organic and healthy stuff.. When I went to the Doc with the sore throat he gave me a drug called Fluconazale to which I had a bad reaction and became very ill with chest pains and neurological problems.. I was in a state of fear and panic and did not realise it was the drug reaction.. My Doc then referred me to a cadiologist but that all checked out ok.. My symptoms then got progressively worse as the whole ordeal had freaked me out..I was taking lots of Vitamins and wondering what was wrong with me.. When I has the endoscopy I was told that there was damage to the stomach lining in 3 places and that it must be acid burning me everywhere including my throat.. Still I found this hard to believe as I had never experienced problems with digestion before taking the Fluconazole drug for my throat.. I had however taken a lot of Anti-inflammatory tablets due to having a ligament tear in my shoulder and had little chice.. The Doc said that over the years Anti-inflammatories can cause damage..He gave me a drug called Lansoprozole to stop the burning in my throat and esophogus.. When I took this drug it was the worst experience I have ever had..I became very ill and was just burping constantly.. I mean about 200 burps in one evening after trying to eat just a small amount.. My stomach hurt and gurgled and I felt sick,dizzy and disorientated.. In fact it became impossible to eat almost anything at all… I went back to the Doc and said these pills are no good for me and he replied that if I do not take them my symptoms will only get worse and my esophogus and throat will be badly damaged.. I explained that I could not eat and how ill they made me feel.. I also suffer with having very small red blood cells so nutrition and Iron etc are very important to me especially and I had rad that PPI’s could make that situation worse..He said that was not true as they only partially eliminated acid.. I now do not know what to do.. I have stopped taking the Lansoprozole but the whole experience with all the drugs etc has just messed me up completely.. My digestion is now a mess and I cannot eat solids really at all.. I do not know what has happened and the GI Doc has told me it is either PPI’s or basically he does not want to know.. My question is if the Anti-Inflammatories were what caused the damage in my stomach, does this mean that I maybe do not have too much acid.. would I have not noticed if I had some symptoms of LPR before all this started which was about 7 weeks ago, out of the blue.. I have never woken at night with Indigestion or reflux etc.. I feel like I am going mad and nobody understands that I cannot take PPI’s..My Doc just says if you wont take what they give you then you wont get well and there is nothing we can do..PLEASE HELP! any advice would be appreciated.

Jay November 24, 2013 at 1:19 am

Hi Steven,
I think i have low stomach acid but i have a couple of symptoms that throw me off that suspicion.

1 – Sometimes i feel sour in my stomach whether it is from drinking raw ACV in water, taking a digestive enzyme, or lemon water. It does not always happen but i notice i have to quit drinking and taking these things for a week or so because i will feel this sourness. Which makes me think maybe i produce enough acid after all.

2 – The other thing i have is the reflux issue, except never any burning or pain in my throat. After a meal if i bend down or burp, etc. i will feel food coming back up my throat and sometimes wind up with throw up in my mouth. Or it just feels like it is sitting in my esophagus. But i have never ever felt a burn – like acid or bile is in the my throat, chest, etc. totally pain free. Can people have reflux/GERD with out it burning in their chest and throat? I am very careful to not over eat as well. I notice it is not anywhere near as bad if i am eating a no grain meal, versus a meal with starch/grains. But it still happens with bone broth soups, steak and salad, etc.

3 – I will burp some foods as soon as i eat them – apples, etc. raw or cooked, but no always. Some days are fine others are not. On days i do that i notice i also get hiccups, like the 2 symptoms go hand in hand (i can go weeks with out but when i do get them it is off and on everyday for 2-3 days). I definitely think that hiccups are linked to my digestion issues. Do you or any of your readers have this experience, any information i can read up on?

Kevin February 9, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Hey Jay,
It seems you and I have similar problems. My difference is that I don’t get any hiccups, mainly the burping rift after a meal, or sometimes I have real trouble breathing and my wheezing acts up again.

How are you now? same problems? did you find out low acidity to be the culprit?

Faisal November 27, 2013 at 7:53 am

I never thought that it is low acid. I always tried to treat it as i have high acidity. And end up eating less for few days and things turns normal. Now i releaized that it actually low acid. and thats why drinking coke after a meal helps and releaf heartburn. thanks for guiding in right path.

Jess December 10, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks to my own research and finding you guys, I have started on the SCD diet (a few months now) and have started taking the Thorne HCL tablets and they have really been helping. I am now taking 14 of these tablets with every main meal and not feeling the burning. I am really reluctant to go higher than this but am still having symptoms. Is this a normal amount to need to take?

maya December 21, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Hi Guys,

I have lost a lot of weight ,had a loose stool almost 3 months , like a 3 times a day, malabsorption,burping ,indigestion,gas,bloating,undigested food, and i have I start scd diet 2 days ago and i have H. Pylori. im on diet gluten,dairy ,sugar, all sweet free.
start taking wobenzym, probiotics, calcium lactate,chlorophyl. my stool became more loose and i start to loose weight very fast, became very week and and look like anorexic ,sweating a lot.
2 days ago started scd diet, and start taking betaine hci, 1/3 dose with chiken soup and 2 eggs. not burping any more,but have burning sensation in my throat became tighter than usual, and my stool became more loose and more then 3 times ,also last night with watery stool came out little fecal stones with green color, this morning it was just yellow liquid. Please help don’t know what to do.

Kelley Light January 14, 2014 at 5:12 am

Hey Steve and Jordan…I happened upon your website after googling why I’m gassy after eating wheat, assuming this had a lot to do with causing my gas along with possibly other foods…what I’ve read so far on your website is very interesting and informative and makes a lot of sense…I recently began eating a Vegan diet and am pleased so far with the results…I’m on day 14 of a 21 day challenge after watching the Netflix Forks over Knives documentary and reading the book 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal D. Barnard, MD, both of which are excellent!!!…I wonder if you’re aware of these and what your thoughts are about eating Vegan! Thanks for any help…I have felt a whole lot better eating this way and only seem to have issues when eating certain wheat/sugary items. I’m still trying to figure it all out…I’ve been told years ago that I have IBS and GERD and a nutritionist said I have digestion problems and put me on a digestive enzyme…I have weaned myself off of my supplements and only take Juice Plus supplements and have started back on a probiotic called Dophilus (sp?) Plus…I had been taking it for many years and decided to stop taking it thinking I wouldn’t need it eating Vegan…I was only off of it for a few weeks then decided to go back on it after reading something that made me think I should stay on it…then I read your article about what certain probiotics can do if I do have low stomach acid…I order my supplements from LifeSourceVitamins which I’m very thankful to have learned about a couple years ago…very reputable and helpful company! I’m thankful for your info and am hoping to figure out my body without having to have certain tests performed to “diagnose” my issues due to cost! Thanks for any help/info/suggestions/advice you might care to share with me.

deborah johnston January 28, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Have crohns disease…started scd diet one month ago,,stools back to normal i am taking 3 hcl and pepsin with each meals and a digestive enzyme from biocare…my only problem is my reflux is bad with uping my fats,,yet wasn’t as bad with the carbs…i obviously have to cut my cabs out to heal my crohns but need my fats for energy and maintain a healthy weight….feel confused now anyone any suggestionsk

Geetika January 31, 2014 at 8:56 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the information!! I am suffering from Chronic Urticaria for past 15 yrs….just happen to read an article from Dr. Jonathan Wright where low stomach acid could be the reason for the problem and at the same time read your article about low stomach acid. If I look at the one year where I tried few natural remedies along with ayurvedic medicines and the symptoms listed by you I can assume that I suffer from this problem only. I am going to try Bitter Gourd (as you said digestive bitters help!!!) and Indian Gooseberry (Amla). Wish me luck that I get a cure :) :)

Thanks a million for sharing the info!!

Geetika

AEcklundy January 31, 2014 at 10:35 am

Your website is so important. After experiencing terrible reflux symptoms for a year or so, having tests and trying all of those awful prescription meds (which made me feel worse), I happened upon articles recommending apple cider vinegar and the idea that the problem could be not enough acid in my digestive system. I began using it 1 1/2 years ago and it has been a life saver for me. I consider it my medicine. It took a couple of months and perseverance, but it was so worth it. Unfortunately my Gastroenterologist refused to accept the possibility saying that scientific studies didn’t support it. Many of the medical community are doing such a disservice to people. If I had continued their treatment I would probably have ended up in the hospital or worse. Bless my regular family MD though who is now recommending that some of her patients try it.

Nick February 21, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Hi there I get alot of burping and when I eat I get stomach acid reflex allso I have constpation and doc said I got ibs.

Maria February 26, 2014 at 10:00 am

So, would it makes sense to say that gastritis and ulcers COULD work like this:

1) not enough stomach acid
2) food enters turns but food isn’t broken down thus, pH remains acidic
3) the acidity eventually causes an erosion??

(this is when ulcer/gastritis is not caused by H. pilori bacteria)

Karin Panyko March 13, 2014 at 12:55 am

As long as I can remember since a young teenager after eating my stomach always was bloated very sick as a child lots of antibiotics.I have horable sinus allergys infections and asthma as well which i developed in the last four years..I have all of these symptoms and if im not constipated my stools are on the soft side.I would like an alternative solution besides a scope down my throat or up in my rectum .how could I treet this or if I go to a health store what should I ask for.and am I to understand that a lot of probiotics are not gluten free Thank you, Karin Panyko

Sunny March 16, 2014 at 3:15 am

Omg I have soo much pain in my stomach, so much bloating I can’t think straight and constant heartburn I’m sitting here hating everything at the moment. But what I can’t understand is that I had to take antacids a few months ago because of h. Pylori. And I had constipation also. I don’t get it wasn’t my h pylori increasing acid. I’ve been to so many doctors and can’t live my life. I’m only 15! Help!

Lynne Edwards March 20, 2014 at 3:02 am

Hi, My mum had an endoscopy 8 years ago and had stomach inflammation and slight duodenal leigions. She was diagnosed as having high acid levels and perscribed medicine accordingly. She also has low bone density and is on calcium pills. She has just had another endoscopy a few months ago and she has got the same symptoms but they have slightly worsened. she didn’t/doesn’t suffer with heartburn or reflux. I have just found out by reading website articles that low acid levels are more likely the cause. Could this be the case? only from what i can gather if you are given med’s to lower your stomach acid (if diagnosed with high) then your stomach should start to heal itself and recover – however hers is getting slightly worse!
Any advice would be greatfully received

Marla March 22, 2014 at 11:14 am

I am in urgent need of some advice please.

I am 27 years old and I am 5-6 weeks pregnant, which is the reason for the urgency, as will become clear. Since July last year, I have been suffering from severe acid reflux symptoms, for which my GP prescribed me 40mg of Omeprazole daily. After a month with little improvement I was prescribed Zantac (Ranitidine) 300mg daily in addition to the Omeprazole. I have taken this medication continuously since then (9 months), with various GPs advising me that this was “absolutely fine”.

I make every effort to eat sensibly (cutting out meat and most processed foods, for example), and do not drink or smoke. However, even with all the medication and the lifestyle changes, my condition has, if anything, worsened. My weight has dropped from 58kg in October to 48kg, which for my 165cm height means my BMI is 17.7, the lowest I have been since adulthood. It has seemed like weight is just dropping away, as if I was not getting any of the nutrition from my food. This is especially worrying due to my pregnancy: if I am not getting sufficient nutrition, is my baby? Without going into exhaustive detail, I have nearly all the symptoms listed in yours and similar articles (heartburn, thinning hair, brittle nails, excessive burping etc.). Yesterday, I then discovered your online articles about low acid, and this has really opened my eyes to what I am potentially doing to my body with this medication. I did an online questionnaire, and it came back with the result that I was 83% likely to be suffering from LOW acid, not high.

I apologise for you having to read this long message, as I’m sure you get many such messages and are very busy, so I will cut to the chase: I want to get off Omeprazole as soon as possible, but nowhere online (including in your articles) can I find a straightforward, authoritative plan for how to stop. Going “cold turkey” seems to be inadvisable, which is confusing, as I was under the impression that the drug is not helping me whatsoever. I want to start putting on weight again, and protect the health of my unborn child, but my GPs don’t seem to be listening, and you are my only hope at the moment. Just to be clear, I am still taking the Omeprazole 40mg daily (although I have stopped the Zantac, due to the pregnancy) even though I am now almost 100% certain that it is not helping (my symptoms are getting worse, not better) and is only causing me harm.

All I need to know is what is the best way (methods, timescales etc.) to completely stop this medication, and can I already begin to use other complementary aids such as yoghurt and cider vinegar, or should I hold off on these until I have stopped the PPIs? I hope you can understand why I am confused, and so worried.

Many, many thanks in advance. Looking forward to hearing from you,
Marla

Cheryl April 5, 2014 at 7:49 am

Hi Steve,

I love this site. I have been taking Betaine HCL for about 1 month now and it is helping immensely. Sometimes I still get some heartburn. I am wondering if I should be taking a digest supplement that includes digestive enzymes like amylase, etc. as well? If I produce low acid does that means I am not producing the necessary digestive enzymes as well?

Christine April 7, 2014 at 12:57 am

HI, I suffer with bloating constantly and was diagnosed with low stomach acid. I started taking Betaine HCL with Pepsin a week ago and am already on 9 tablets per meal and have not felt that burning sensation yet. Do I keep on increasing the dose or stop at 9? I have also not see a change in the bloating, is this normal? How long does it take before you see a change in the bloating?

Mia May 8, 2014 at 9:13 pm

I did the test with the Betaine HCl and then started supplementing with it. I had to take the maximum dose (8 capsules) for days before I noticed a burn. I then reduced it and by the time I got to 6 capsules a meal I ran out.
I wonder why it took so long for me to feel a burn and if I should give it another go. My problems are worsening by the week. I have had problems for 2 1/2 years and am literally falling apart in every way, my liver isn’t doing to well either. Doctors can’t offer me solutions though, they think I am crazy for taking enzymes and HCl, they don’t believe that it helped me. They just call it IBS…. and say that nothing can be done about it. I am a mother and it has become very hard taking care of my child.
This info reassures me that I am doing the right thing, so thank you very much.

Adam May 12, 2014 at 2:51 am

My partner was told she was suffering from IBS for the last 7 years, extreme bloating and stomach pain, we went to my family doctor which practices in kenesiology http://www.meridiankinesiology.co.nz/ there is the link. So she was diagnosed from my doctor with low stomach acid, seems like something no medical practitioner knows about. For 3 weeks she was to take Betaine HCl, 2 pills a day, not sure of the dose, and she is a lot better, we are due to revisit the doctor to see if there is anyhting else, but this has made a world of difference to her life.

dee May 27, 2014 at 2:32 pm

This sounds so like me right now. My problem has to be this has to be I love meat and every time I eat a large portion I has gas my gas stinks really bad either way im feeling nausea and the bloated its hard. This been going on for 4 days and I just finally used the bathroom I feel like throwing up. I just hope this anit get really bad need to see a doctor

Mysterious Stranger May 30, 2014 at 5:43 am

Slice lemon in half, juice it into half a cup of water 20 minutes befora a eal and behold!!!

Solved my digestive frustrations of past 2 years after first 2 “injections.”

Please share if this helps you, it’s sad to read people suffering and restrictions they need to put on their diets.

Laura Sigley July 11, 2014 at 9:03 am

Hello! I am so glad I found this site. I have been on acid reflux meds for about 10 years now and they are not as effective anymore. No shock there! I know that my gut is a mess. Anyway, I have started taking HCL with pepsin and I need to wean off the prescription meds. How on earth do I do that? I know I am doing myself no good taking them both. Do I just stop the meds cold turkey? I am so scared because I have serious pain without the meds. What is the best way to go about this?

Thanks so much! :)

bigger swimming pools July 22, 2014 at 3:17 am

I got this site from my pal who told me regarding this website and now this time I am visiting this site and reading very
informative articles here.

Kate July 22, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Can I supplement with HCL when I’m pregnant?

Lori Jo Berg July 23, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Hi Kate,

Thank you for reaching out to us! While we are not doctors and cannot give medical advice, we do suggest reading this book “Why Stomach Acid is Good For you”, by Jonathan Wright. This has a ton of great information on this subject. It is also a good idea to find a functional medicine practitioner to oversee your health decisions and you can do so here: functionalmedicine.org

Clarice August 5, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Found this site while looking for a Wikipedia reference to hypochlorhydria, part of an article on Intrinsic Factor (Bit B12). Wow! This is excellent–thanks so much. I was diagnosed, at age 6, with Anemia. Drank a hideous Iron tonic for I don’t know how long, and it went away. Here’s a surprise: when I was little, I craved Cider Vinegar, and would ‘steal’ a spoonful or 2 from the kitchen pantry daily! Also have lifelong craving for citrus–when pregnant, ate 7 or 8 oranges every afternoon and still not satisfied.

Diagnosed 20 years ago with GERD and prescribed PPIs. They helped, but not entirely. Integrated Medicine doc tested me with Heidelberg test about 8 years ago, discovered I have NO stomach acid. My grandmother died, in 1933, of Pernicious Anemia, caused by lack of Intrinsic Factor, and I’ve been doing internet research on that. It’s genetic, and may be the cause of my Restless Legs Syndrome, Peripheral Neuropathy, and my son’s high fat buildup around his cardiac arteries and his liver problems.
PA is a genetic, autoimmune disease like arthritis, which also runs in my family. Guess what? It can also cause lack of stomach acid. And of course that affects digestion as it adversely affects the parietal cells which are supposed to line our stomachs. Since automimmune diseases cause antibodies to develop, it might be good for some of your readers to get tested for the presence of parietal cell antibodies.
IM Doc diagnosed me with extremely low C-Reactive Protein, and I take daily Vit C now. Constant burping, farting and a feeling of bloat have continued to bug me. I have 3 or 4 morning BMs and 1 or 2 p.m. I think it is from eating too much fruit, doc agreed, says only eat in the morning. So I am eating more protein, mostly eggs, and more veg, less fruit. Tummy probs decreasing, as are BMs. Taking tons of Vit B12 now, for a month, to see if that solves the “idiopathic” leg probs. If burps continue, will try HCL.

Bottom line: Trust your instincts, listen to your body, find an Integrated Medicine practitioner and make a LIST of all your problems to give your doc, or at least find one that listens. And don’t take antibiotics for viruses. Antibiotics don’t fight viruses, only bacteria. Try to get a Heidelberg Test–at least you’ll know that much for certain.

Craig August 25, 2014 at 8:54 am

Firstly what a great site!!

I have been suffering with Acid Reflux for around 10 years, I am now 34 years old and to be honest got a little fed up with doctors not really helping me to fix the cause, I have been on various doses of Lansoprazole over the 10 years – and ended up having an endoscopy earlier this year, after reading many different stories on the internet I am starting to think that I have low stomach acid.

I recently went to see the doctor to ask his advice because I had so many questions: I had been taking alkaline water, should I stop? Should I try to increase my stomach acid? should I come off Lansoprazole? should I be retested for H.Pylori (which i had before) Should I continue on low carb diet?

I am now wondering if h.pylori could survive in correct levels of stomach acid – and therefore have I had low levels for the entire of my acid reflux?

My doctors answer was to increase my medication – I refused to do this and he told me to come off lansoprazole for two weeks so i could have a h.pylori test and in the meantime he would contact my stomach specialist with all my concerns?

I asked him if I should try Betaine HCL with Pepsin, and he said not yet and also to come off the alkaline water.

The stomach is a complex thing but it is fairly obvious that my issues are digestive, my doctor visit was last week, since this I have purchased some really good flora probiotics and also some digestive enzymes which contain betaine hcl, I have started taking the probiotics and will monitor any progress before introducing the digestive enzymes.

I have tried Paleo, Manuka Honey etc, all this testing and diet changes are very costly and to be honest I am not 100% sure how much time to give each trial – at the moment I am sort of half Paleo and am going to see what happens with the probiotics and possibly digestive enzymes, I have been off Lansoprazole now for around 5 days and have got heartburn/reflux and the usual throat clearing trying to swallow (the latter was there even on Lansoprazole) I am also considering a chinese doctors consultaion – which will be more costly, but I am at the point now where I have to find my own cure, if that makes sense.

Theres so many different opinions about what could cure acid reflux – my doctor only seams to know surgery or PPI’s, apple cider vinegar seams to be another popular aid, so it is difficult to really decide what to do.

The Heidleberg test doesn’t seam to be available in the UK – I just want to get back to normal health, I had testiculr cancer in 2007 so cancer is always at the back of my mind.

Thank you for providing such a great site.

Jordan Reasoner September 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Hi Craig, thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you are in need of a functional medicine practitioner to help guide you on this journey back to health. From what you have said, it seems you could benefit from some digestive tests to help get to the root of the problem. You can find one here if you are interested: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

Paula September 4, 2014 at 10:16 pm

I believe I suffer from low HCL as I have many of the symptoms discussed on both this website and a website called gallblladderattack.com. I was blaming my symptoms on a bad gall bladder, but now realize its more likely low HCL. My questions is: if I drink coffee several days in a row, I’ll experience a burning in the stomach, almost like a stomach ache. Thought at one point I my have an ulcer, but I don’t have ulcer symptoms. Cutting out coffee has helped for me. Coffee is very acidic, can someone explain to me why I don’t feel good after drinking it, especially if I have low HCL. BTW – my dad had all of the digestive problems I have, he even had eczema and sinus infections all of his life which recently ended from Alzheimer’s. I am worried that there is no real cure for this problem, and am I destined for continued suffering?

Jordan Reasoner September 5, 2014 at 9:21 am

Hi Paula, thank you for reaching out! You are correct that coffee is acidic, and though it seems it should be OK if you do suffer form low HCL, this is not the case. We want adequate HCL levels with in our stomach, not our entire body. For coffee to be digested it must be neutralized by a buffer as well as processed by the kidneys. Continue to test your HCL levels and follow the dosage instructions in the article, as I think you will find help in this. Continue to work with a practitioner who you can trust and that will help oversee your health decisions.

Paula September 6, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Thank you for your quick response. I am seeing my doctor next week to further discuss this. I fired my last doctor who told me to take PPI’s. I had the good sense to refuse. I wish more practitioners were more educated about low HCL levels. Thanks for this website, it will be a reference for me going forward.

Rayca September 12, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I have LPR, straight up (oops, a pun). Am I low or high acid? It seems GERD is pretty easily answered but LPR is quite different and never seems to be addressed, just glossed over. Your points are pretty generalized. Bloating, burping, all of it can be from something as simple as not chewing your food enough, which I would think sets the stage for healthy acid levels. At any rate, it’s pretty confusing not to have clear-cut answers on at least whether I have low or high stomach acid. I’m an older female so it’s likely low but why then would my throat care, if it’s not acidic? I just don’t get it.

Lori Jo Berg September 28, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Hi Rayca, thank you for reaching out. My first suggestion is to find a functional medicine practitiner that is trained in these types of conditions. Secondly, LPR can occur for the same reasons that GERD occurs and we suggest reading the following articles to learn more about stomach acid and possible dysfunctions:

About low stomach acid:http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/3-tests-for-low-stomach-acid/

How and what Betaine HCL to supplement with:http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/

Alyssa September 17, 2014 at 2:02 am

I was told I should be taking a Betaine HCL w/Pepsin supplement. I am already taking a digestive enzyme with Pepsin in it, so from your experience and knowledge do you think I need to take a Betaine HCL w/Pepsin or just Betaine HCL by its self? Thanks for any input on this :)

Brent Kovacs September 18, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Hi Alyssa, it’s recommended to still take Betaine HCl w/ Pepsin.

Mr Lynn DeVault November 7, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I had used up my TWINLAB HCL and ordered Swanson’s HCL. I immediately had an allergic reaction to Swansons brand. The difference in the ingredients was that Swansons has a magnesium stearic acid and TWINLAB has vegetable stearic acid. Back on vegetable stearic acid ingredient. I seem to be allergic to any thing metalic.

Tara November 11, 2014 at 4:11 pm

After seeing your site, my husband has many signs of low HCL. I was wondering if we tried him on the lowest dose, if there are chances of him having problems if he happens to NOT be low HCL? In other words, can it hurt to try out HCL if you aren’t low?
Thanks,
Tara

Lori Jo Berg November 15, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Hi Tara, thank you for reaching out! We certainly suggest you speak with your physician if you have any concerns about trying out beta
ine HCL. If you are in need of a practitioner, you can find one here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

Bridgitte November 12, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Hi there, This is an absolutely intriguing article!
All three categories relate to the symptoms I have been experiencing for about 6 months.
The one main thing I am very concerned with is my breathing issues, it is almost as if after meals I am having an asthma attack. It has caused me to have sleepless nights, feelings of not being able to breathe and feeling dizzy along with making me extremely tired. I notice whenever I eat vegan, the breathing problems ABSOLUTELY disappear no matter how much coffee I drink (which is bad for acid reflux). I need answers, and I am sick and tired of taking medication that is costly and doesnt work! Help:) Thank you!!!

Lori Jo Berg November 15, 2014 at 11:16 pm

Hi Bridgitte, thank you for reaching out! It would be a good idea for you to speak with your treating physician about these concerns. If you do not have one, you can find one here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

ss November 17, 2014 at 9:20 pm

My husband had chronic decades long problem with heartburn. He could not tolerate untimely meals, coffee, tea, many types of foods etc. He tried DGL, zinc carnosine and glutamine as recommended by Dr. Hyman. He confirmed no H.pylori. He eats other vitamin and mineral supplements. He healed himself for good after maybe 2-3 weeks initially. Now if it recurs rarely because he drank coffee at work some times, he eats zinc carnosine and glutamine for a week. Then he eats 1 DGL before each meal for 2-3 weeks and he is okay again. Eating DGL before eating any offending foods liek coffee helps. Avoiding coffee altogether helps as well. All these products are available on amazon.com

For me, I had lactose intolerance which manifested as gas etc. I took the Garden of life ULTRA Probiotic which package should say helps with lactose intolerance and that fixed the lactose intolerance issues. My IBS liek issues were related to gluten, nuts, seeds, corn, peanuts and other proteins in food. Now I am experimenting with eating these foods with apple cider vinegar for past 2 days and it seems like atleast so far it has helped with the nut sensitivities. SO I am thinking low stomach acid could be reason. In the pastwhen I ate adaptogens like rhodiola, siberian ginseng, licorice root etc. it unexpectedly fixed a problem I had with recurring sinusitus caused by peanut consumption!

Good luck

ss November 17, 2014 at 9:24 pm

And for H.Pylori, oregano oil capsules may help?

Lori Jo Berg November 19, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Hi, Thank you for reaching out! Some practitioners may include this in a protocol against H. pylori, but we suggest you work with a practitioner to attack the problem. If you are in need of one, you can find one here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/