How to Travel Anywhere on GAPS, SCD, or Paleo (Podcast 37)

That’s me and the family in front of an active volcano on the Big Island, Hawaii just a few weeks ago…

A few years ago, the thought of traveling over 15 hours, including 8 hours on airplanes, would have triggered an anxiety attack.

But not anymore.

And in this podcast, Steve interviewed me to get the step-by-step details of how I pulled it off, without getting sick…

2:06 Why the new blog facelift…

4:04 Where in the world is Jordan Reasoner?

7:30 My biggest insight after spending 15 hours traveling without an ounce of anxiety

8:47 What the heck did I eat during all that flying?

14:58 How to travel anywhere, eat out, and still have an amazing lifestyle on SCD, GAPS, or Paleo

19:20 Why Hawaii might just be the best destination for some on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet

23:06 The top secret “Real Food Summit” presentation we just gave, and a sneak peak for you

Play

If you want to learn how to travel anywhere on GAPS, SCD, and Paleo like we do, here’s the link to our new travel program we put together for you:

–> http://scdlifestyle.com/social-life/

Hope to see you there,

– Jordan

P.S. – If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here.   Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 8, 2012 at 2:22 pm

what a helpful post! love the podcast — traveling can be verrry stressful when you’re on a special diet…thanks for the great tips!

Paul June 9, 2012 at 9:00 am

Jordan,
Congratulations on your big move, I think you are going to like it there. It’s great to see that anything is possible if you take control of your health. Keep up the good work!

Brad June 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Nice to hear your story while dealing with the stress of traveling and flying while on a restricted diet. While treating Lyme disease and a leaky gut, I’ve been on a diet similar to SCD and GAPS and it has been difficult to figure out how to get on a plane or travel long distances. I love grass-fed beef so I may have to try your freezing method and eating it cold. I’ve made it through security with frozen grapes to keep my raw vegetables cold by the time I got on the flight but meat would be a welcome change.

Christine July 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I just want to say how inspiring it is to have somewhere to get support and ideas. I am on day 2 of intro diet and you guys have made me feel like I can keep going.

Kathryn Trautvetter September 28, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Your sharing was a great help, esp. about your travel food. I appreciated the encouragement about building “travel Confidence” and also your honesty that it took you several years to come to that point. Lots of new adventures to look forward to!

Steven Wright October 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Thanks! Make sure to post some of your experiences

Bobby Cox July 14, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I added a comment in the space which is marked ‘comment’ so why did this not register”?

I added the points that you were travelling to a holiday destination with a family- great plusses in you not be being taken as a problem.
My question is what is likely to be the result on an international flight where security is much Tighter and the more likely response would be ‘No way’. Did you have a ‘back up plan if you had been refused’? It could be pretty important.

I need to face up to this likely scenario so would be interested in any advice.

Thanks
Bobby

thanks for the encouraging podcast and top marks for blazing a trail.

Debbie April 18, 2014 at 6:47 pm

All I can think of as I’m still listening to your podcast is your enjoyment of spices in your burger, because spices are a huge trigger for me. I’ve got eczema going on now from overdoing some roasted broccoli (olive oil & pepper). I think ground beef would be a safe food for me too – and I love it cold too, more than hot – but I think spices of all kinds give me problems. I’ve got gerd and gastritis issues now, even though my constipation is much improved. Clearly we are all special snowflakes. Thanks for the blog and answering my questions via email. I learn a lot here.

Deborah May 27, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Hi Jordan, I started writing on your comments section, but it froze up on me. I am coming to Hawaii mid July, and am wondering where I can source gaps friendly food. It was great to hear about the grass fed beef, fresh fish and vegetables, but is it easy to get free range eggs, good fermented foods and natural yoghurt?. I will be in Kona, Captain Cook, also Kalani retreat near Pahoa and Hilo over a three 3 week period before heading off to Oahu.
I am also concerned about traveling. I am flying all the way from South Africa on 3 different flights, and I don’t know how many hours. Maybe 28. (Hawaii is about as far away as I can go. I could head east or west. It would make no difference.)
I am not sure if International flights will allow me to take food aboard. Do you know if a letter from a doctor will give one the ability to carry one’s own supplies? I know the last time I took jerky (we call it biltong) to the States, it was confiscated at customs.

Deborah