How to Make Nourishing Beef Bone Broth to Heal Your Gut

Cup-of-Beef-Bone-Broth

Homemade bone broth can help repair your gut and restore your healthy mucosal lining. Not only that, but bone broth is chocked full of collagen, gelatin, glycine, and proline (great article about their benefits here).

Last but not least, bone broth also contains glutamine, an important fuel for intestinal cells that may help repair a leaky gut (study). I drink 8-12 oz in a coffee mug every single morning and I’ve really found it helps, especially when I’m trying to manage heavy stress or running low on sleep. Not only that, but it was the only thing that brought me back to life during my latest bout with the stomach flu…

In this post, I’m going to show you how to make a basic beef bone broth to help you heal your gut.

Beef Bone Broth Step 1:

Find a source for your beef bones. I typically mix two types of beef bones when I make bone broth.  I’ll use half of the recipe with “Beef Marrow Bones” like these:

And the other half of my batch will contain “Beef Soup Bones” like these:

“Beef Soup Bones” will tend to have more meat on them than the “Marrow Bones” do. For the best healing effects, find a source that uses certified Grass Fed Cows. (For extra credit, grab some knuckle to throw in the pot as well).

If you can’t find them at the grocery store, call around to different butchers – they usually have plenty of them. Local farmers that raise Grass Fed Cows will also be able to tell you which butcher they typically take their cows to and you can source it from there.

I like to make beef bone broth in a slow cooker, which fits about 5 pounds of bones. So, I use about 2.5 pounds of “Marrow Bones”  and 2.5 pounds of “Beef Soup Bones.”

Beef Bone Broth Step 2:

Add all 5 pounds of bones into a slow cooker.

Don’t forget to add either a few shots of apple cider vinegar OR the juice from one lemon. They provide acids that help extract more nutrients from the bones.

Nourishing-beef-broth-bones

Next, fill the slow cooker with water (preferably filtered) and set it for 24 hours on low heat.

HOT TIP: Sometimes the smell can bother family/friends/pets (ha-ha). Lately, I’ve actually been setting this out in my garage to cook so I don’t have to fill my house with bone broth scent (it’s currently winter in Michigan).

Beef Bone Broth Step 3:

After the bones have been cooking for 24 hours, you can add in a few veggies for flavor. You won’t be eating these, so don’t bother peeling them or cutting off the stems:

• Carrots
  • Celery Stalks
  • Sweet Onion
  • 2 Tablespoons Parsley
  • 2 Tablespoons Sea Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Black Pepper

Then, set it for another 12 hours or so… but timing is completely up to you. The longer you cook it on low the more the bones will break down and release nutrients into the broth.

Beef Bone Broth Step 4:

After about 30 hours, check the marrow bones to make sure the marrow has fallen out of the bone. Sometimes I have to pick out the bones with tongs and use a fork to knock the marrow out of the center.

Beef Bone Broth Step 5:

Once the bones have been slow cooking for 36 hours, turn off the slow cooker and let it cool down naturally for a few hours. Then, I will usually skim off the big stuff like the veggies and give them to the dogs. I have heard you can use the meat and veggies to make good soup but I haven’t tried it yet.

The next step is to drain the broth through a mesh colander like this one:

It’s important to ask the question: how am I going to store this broth?

I’ve heard mixed information on how long beef bone broth lasts in the refrigerator, so I’ve been sticking to a week or so. Keep that in mind when you store it. I like to drink about 8-12oz every morning so I need about 70 ounces to last me 7-days.

Glass storage is always a better way to go than plastic… but as you drain the broth through the colander you’ll want to pour it right into the container you choose. I like to store mine in glass mason jars like these:

Freeze what you’re not using and try to drink some every day.

It’s also a great stock to cook with. Enjoy!

P.S. – Leave any cool modifications you try in the comments below. Experiment away!

Steve February 28, 2012 at 9:40 am

Hey guys….just wondering what types of bones/pieces of meat you’d use if you did this with chicken instead as I’m not a “re meat” eater? Specifically how do you know which are “marrow” bones?

Thanks!

Jordan Reasoner February 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I usually make chicken soup using a whole chicken and save the carcass… then when I have a few carcasses saved up I will follow the same methods to make chicken bone broth… you can also throw in properly prepared chicken feet for more healing properties.

Steve February 28, 2012 at 9:40 am

I meant “red meat” eater…sorry!

Sue September 10, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Just realize that bone broth isn’t going to affect you the same as eating red meat. All marrow is good, as are the minerals from the bones themselves. You can have butchers clean the bones of meat pretty well. And then just filter off any remaining meat pieces. Should be just fine.

Max Betley February 29, 2012 at 3:38 am

hey guys, i’m 18 and i’ve had U.C for about 10 months now. I’m currently having my 4th flare up, but I’ve been on this diet for the last month and my mum has been great preparing loads of SCD food for me (haven’t started seeing any improvements yet). we recently made some beef broth, and I was wondering how soon after the flare up I can eat it? it seems very oily – is it going to irritate my gut, or will it help? I’ve also been having chicken broth, apple-juice with gelatine, and mashed bananas for the last week. Is there anything else which might help during a flare up? any help would be very appreciated.

Joan Myers March 16, 2014 at 12:56 am

Anything coconut will be very calming. Coconut milk with meals and just when your stomach feels icky…also coconut oil. Use it instead of anything you might cook with…you can melt and put into smoothies or spread on bread/toast to eat. The coconut is super healing I use it all of the time.

misspudding July 24, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Wow, no no no. Coconut milk gives me crazy GI problems, and I don’t even have IBD. I know many people find coconut milk is a gut irritant. It’s not allowed on the initial stages of the SCD diet, anyway, because it can cause problems for folks. It’s also high in FODMAPs, which can be a huge trigger for a big portion of the SCD population.

cindy April 11, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Hey Max, the bone broth brings inflammation down nicely
Which is at the rootof the problem. Be aware and look up
Information about lectins and phytates d foods that contain those
They rob us of healing. Most nuts and seeds have them.
They have to be soaked. Natasha McBride the gaps guru has some
Lectin foods on the diet hence the reason it takes so longto heal.
The bananas have lots of sugar and the little black seeds are
probably an irritant. Eat meat only from grassfed animals.
Get mega probiotics in, don’t eat much fruit and zero sugar, lots of bone
Broth and only
Yogurt from grade A 2 cows.

Alix March 7, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Okay…there is no way I can drink this! The taste and smell is so strong. I think I am going to add more water, add some more salt and some meat…see if I can ingest it that way.

Lisa March 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

In addition to cooking with it, I have a warm cup o’ bone broth in the evening on occasion. I do 1/2 water and 1/2 broth with some sea salt.

If the taste is too strong, you could add more water.

I only make bone broth every few months so when I prepare a vat of it, I freeze it in GladWare (I think they’re called small snack size) to get two servings per container. Yes it is plastic so if you choose this route wait for it to cool before putting it in the containers and don’t microwave the broth in plastic. It tastes delicious and I’m hoping that marrow-y goodness is preserved through the freezing.

The ox-tail bones from our local farmer make amazing broth.

Great article, Jordan. Thanks!

Jared April 22, 2012 at 2:07 am

I’ve heard cooking the bones in the oven for like an hour or two and getting them brown will make it a lot more flavorful as well, do you ever do that with your bone broth?

J. June 4, 2012 at 11:58 am

I’m not sure how this compares in nutrition to the regular way of making bone broth (or stock), but I have a lazy way that is more doable for me. I am at the stage where I can eat a bit of roasted chicken (as opposed to simmered/boiled), so I use a roaster that is just big enough for the chicken (hormone-free and organic when I can get it) and it has a lid. I toss some sea salt inside and sprinkle on the outside (about 2 tsp for a 4-6 lb chicken). Put the lid on and roast at 350-375 until very tender (20 minutes per pound plus 40 minutes works for me). The “juice” from the chicken fills up 3/4 of the roaster, so the bottom half of the chicken has been simmered, making the meat more digestible and creating a “bone broth” of sorts. After it cools a bit, I pour it off into a glass jar and stick it in the fridge. I can then scoop a jelly-like spoonful into a coffee cup and add boiling water. I can decide to skim off the fat or add a little, depending on how well I’m digesting that day. It seems like this “broth” is quite concentrated (I only get about a cup, depending on the size of the chicken), and I find that adding the amount of water my body can tolerate is working for me. I also like how easy it is. I also use it to make soups, adding a few spoonfuls to the pot of water and veggies. I hope this helps some people who are a bit intimidated in the kitchen or who are just tired of all the work (like me).

Julianne Taylor (@juliannejtaylor) June 4, 2012 at 5:16 pm

We love borscht in our house (my kids are Russian) So it is an easy way to get the goodness of bones into the teenagers.
Here is my borscht recipe.

angela October 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I have a ton of soup bones in the bottom of my freezer & have been wondering how to best use them. I never realized how ‘healthy’ they could be!

Jordan Reasoner October 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Awesome Angela, add some basil and oregano for flavor!

Kira October 19, 2012 at 12:21 am

Hi Jordan
Thanx for the article…I was just searching for a broth specialist ;-)
I have some questions:
– I bought the bones but they don’t have the meat on them, will it still work? I actually don’t want the meat here if I can avoid it.
– Also, how do I know it is the BROTH that came out, and not just a soup – is there a way to check how gelatinous it is? Maximum gelatin/collagen is why I am doing this.
– I am going to cook in on a stove, what is the best duration of cooking? I read that Coking too long will denature the collagen…
Thnx!

Jordan Reasoner October 19, 2012 at 4:37 am

Hi Kira, the bones should be fine. I’ve heard that roasting them in the oven before starting the broth can speed things up but I’ve never tried it.

You’ll know if it’s broth, it’s pretty hard to do anything wrong. You’ll know when you put it in the fridge and it gets cold, it will almost jiggle like jello :-)

Let us know how it goes,

Nancy Smith December 3, 2012 at 11:00 am

Other recipes recommend chilling the broth and removing the fat. Is that a good thing, or is the fat what makes it so good for you?

Martin @ Leaky gut research January 16, 2013 at 12:22 am

I usually refrigerate the soup for couple of hours to let the fat solidify to be able to throw it away. I have read when high PUFA bones are used (chicken) the fat may get oxidized .

Kate December 6, 2012 at 10:17 am

I roasted the bones in the oven for an hour then cooked the broth on the stove for 30 hours. I strained it into mason jars. This morning I took the layer of fat off the top so I could taste it but the broth was not gelatinous. It was liquid. So, what did I do wrong? Did I add too much water during the cooking process? or not cook it long enough? and will it have the same healing properties?
Kate

Jordan Reasoner December 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Hmmmm that’s interesting Kate. It may be there wasn’t enough cartiladge, etc. to create gelatin. It’s probably still very nutritious, so don’t toss it. Next time try using a mix of soup bones and marrow bones.

J

Joseph December 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

After I strain my veggies and bones out of the broth, I like to take the soaked veggies and puree them with a ladle full of broth and some distilled water. This makes a great “soup” of its own, likely getting some major nutrients from all the time the veggies are soaking up the broth.

I also like to take the strained stock, add fresh veggies, some cut up grass fed chuck (and any meat from the bones), salt/pepper plus a little fresh rosemary and make a beef/vegetable soup. To thicken this soup, you can add some of the pureed veggies to this.

Pretty good stuff. and nothing goes to waste.

Rachel Stevens December 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Do you keep adding water to the bones as the initial water evaporates? I would think you’d have a dry roasting of the bones in the slow cooker after 24hrs or so. Confused… and glad I’m not the only one who likes broth for breakfast!

lily November 17, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I hae the same question. I have a small crock pot. I’m not going to have much liquid left after 36 hours. Wondering if I could just keep adding water. I’m sure it’s safe to do so, just might have a watered down taste but was curious to know what other people do.

Shawna-Lee January 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Do you freeze your broth in the mason jar?

Steven Wright January 4, 2013 at 7:07 pm

@Shawna-Lee – I do yes, works pretty well!

Jessica February 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm

You don’t want to fill the jar full if you are going to freeze, it will expand and crack the jar. It also helps to leave the lid off until frozen.

Crystal February 20, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I recently made beef bone broth by following this recipe. I froze that batch but was interested in canning my next one. Some say this is okay to do but I haven’t been able to find any two people to agree on time and pounds of pressure. Also have read that high heat, like canning, causes the broth to have more MSG. Any ideas?

Debbie May 12, 2013 at 3:19 am

In order to cook my beef bones for 24-36 hours, I need to keep Sdding wAter due to evaporation. What effect will that have on the healthful qualities of the broth? If I didn’t keep adding some water, there would hardly be anything left at the end. Confused!

Lluvi June 4, 2013 at 2:21 am

Hi! Making the bone broth for the first time : ) So excited to try it and have it heal my gut. But I don’t have a slow cooker and I am making it on a pot on the stove top. Do times you post on this article remain the same? Like at 24 hrs add veggies and keep cooking for another 12? Will there even be any water left, won’t it evaporate?

Susan July 27, 2013 at 8:00 pm

G’day, the bone broth tastes foul. How can I make it taste nice enough to drink? I use it in stews and soups but I’d like to be able to drink it as well. Is it an acquired taste? I’m normally pretty good with yucky stuff, I drink a cup of hot water with a whole lemon squeezed into it and some cayenne pepper and cinnamon each day and that doesn’t faze me.
Regards
Susan

Nivia July 28, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Rose July 30, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. I put my bones in a roasting pan in the oven for 45 minutes at 450 drain the “fat” before putting the bones into my pan. If there is remaining fat (not gristle) on the bones I try to get as much off as I can. I then add water and about 1/4 cup or less of apple cider vinegar (with the “mother” on the bottom of the jar whatever brand); the first day I add lots of garlic and onions (leave the garlic cloves whole); after boiling the water I turn my stove down to barely lit so the broth stays at a scalding temp (not simmer) for three to four days. The second day I add more garlic and onions and toss in a bunch of cilantro. If I wish veggies I generally use fresh green beans and toss them in on the second or third day…I eat the veggies instead of tossing them even though as they rise to the top they absorb the “fat” as I believe it’ still good for you. Sometimes after the first day I transfer them over to my slow cooker but I like the idea of something cooking on the stove and check it every once in awhile so if it starts to simmer I can take the cover off and let it cool back down to the scalding temperature. For flavor enhancers, sometimes before I eat the broth I add toasted sesame oil and/or tamari sauce and crushed ginger. Any ideas?

Gabriela August 5, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Could I just use soup bones?, my farmer only sells those and I can’t find any grass fed marrow bones, I know marrow bones r amazing but I don’t want to buy some that come from conventional animals

Steven Wright August 7, 2013 at 9:51 am

Yes of course!

Stacey Woodward August 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Each morning, after I heat up a mug of beef bone broth, I grate some fresh ginger into it, and it is delicious!! The more ginger the better, and it is so good for you. It’s so easy too, because you can just peel the ginger root, stick it in a ziploc baggie, and keep it in the freezer. It grates very easily frozen, and tastes great.

Pete Gulick August 14, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Hello
I followed your directions and it did not say anything about the proper way to eat this soup. I thought the white stuff on top maybe I could consume. This soup really hurt me bad. I think it would be a good idea to be really specific on how to serve this soup. My doctor said no one should consume the top layer of fat that forms on the soup expecially people that have gastritis or anyother gastrointestinal problems. I am not reccommending this soup idea it made me sick!

Marilyn September 21, 2013 at 5:21 pm

This takes me back to my mothers and then my cooking to make soup most of my life – good old marrow bones — fortunately in this country we are GM Free and all beef is grass fed so no problem there. However I do buy beef and especially chicken that is totally free range and organic.
I now have osteoporosis (I’m older and its due to a drug I must take to well,live) – but my diet and nutrition are good.

barb mervis October 2, 2013 at 10:06 am

It is important to put a Tablespoon of vinegar to pull the minerals out of the bone.

dianna October 3, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Can we have a printable recipe? Just the basics? Maybe there’s already one here that I’m missing

Elizabeth J. Price October 14, 2013 at 12:48 pm

We raise our own grass-fed lamb. Any thoughts on how well this works with lamb bones? What about deer or elk? I’m thinking both in terms of flavor and nutrients.

Jordan Reasoner October 14, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Should work great! I’m after my first Elk this year myself :-)

Patti Capaldi October 16, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I just made my first batch of bone broth, putting in onions, carrot and celery along with roasted
bones/a mix of marrow and some knuckles etc. I was almost nauseous when I was draining it
(taking out the bones and veg) before I strained it. I have been getting into eating grass fed steaks
so its not that I don’t like red meat, but something with the smell and the look made me feel almost sick. Now its sitting in a pot in the frig, I skimmed off all the fat, there was all gelatin when it was cold,
but still the color is a whitish cloudy look, it does not look like yours in the jars on this website. Do you think I did something wrong? I am almost afraid to drink it.
Help/any suggestions? I spent almost $16.00 on the bones/all grass fed!
Thanks.
Patti

lily November 17, 2013 at 12:47 pm

you’re fine. It is supposed to be like gelatin when cold. If it were not like gelatin, I’d say you didn’t cook it long enough.

the picture above is the broth when warm. Before refrigerating. When you heat it up to eat/drink, it will get liquid-y again. I will not stay gelatenous when you warm it up to drink, don’t worry.

Just refrigerate, then skim the top white part of it (that’s too fatty to eat). Then scoop out a big glob of gelatin into a pot or mug, heat, and drink up.

Cedar November 18, 2013 at 12:50 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for this wonderful website. I was wondering if using pork bones would work. I love the taste of pork so just wondering?

sarah May 12, 2014 at 4:31 am

Pork doesn’t nearly have the same nutrition as beef or lamb. Nor is it that great for you.

Amy December 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Hi SCD team – I am wondering about MSG and how that fits into cooking bone broth? I’m not understanding the information on how over cooking can produce MSG and what that means for us health wise. Could you shed some light on this for me? Thanks so much.

Kat December 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Hi – Just an idea for those that find it too strong in flavor – I pretty much live on soups, but many of the store bought organic ones still being very high sodium. I often get prepared soups and mix them 50/50 with the appropriate (chicken or beef) bone broth to add the benefits of the broth and cut the sodium of the other soups, Sort of goes against the drinking a cup straight every a.m, but I figure any way I get it into my diet is good!

Kat December 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Also, for those who might just not have the ability to make this all the time on their own, there is a company I order from that makes pasture-raised, organic bone broth and ships it direct to you frozen in BPA-free containers (cheaper the more you buy). Since I’m quite ill, I just wasn’t up to making this all the time, I was very happy to find them:
Wisechoicemarket,com. In addition, they have lots of other wonderful cultured foods . (OK, then theres the org potato chips cooked in coconut oil – yum!) They’ve been a lifesaver for me!

Steven January 2, 2014 at 4:06 am

My attempt was a total disaster!! I used mostly beef marrow bones with onion, carrots and celery and cooked in a slow cooker for about 30 hours. I then let cool overnight.

All went well up to here! My problems started when I started straining the broth. The marrow got caught in the strainer, so I tossed that into the strained broth as well. I ended up with a rather lumpy broth, so I used a hand-held blender to smoothen it!

I ended up with a grey “mess”, which, after regrigeration, looked like a fat-infested, grey mess! I threw it all away!

Melkat January 21, 2014 at 9:25 pm

I think it was probably fine — or at least salvageable. I wouldn’t get hung up on a picture-perfect appearance (or lack thereof). All the elements you blended in should be good for you, unless, of course, you are not able to digest any fat. In that case, you could have heated it up again, poured it into a bowl or jar, chilled, then carefully scooped out the fat that hardened on top. The solid particles –marrow, bits of meat, etc., — usually settle on the bottom, which, if your broth gels nicely, should enable you to mostly scoop/pour out the gelled liquid and leave those solids behind for discarding. But I think your first instinct — to try to blend that cooked marrow and such in, with the intent to consume it too — was a good one. It’s supposed to be very nutritious. Don’t give up! You were doing well, and it probably tasted good, or would have with a little salt, pepper, etc. My broths are never clear consommes. but they are wonderful. And if you find it hard to take by itself, add extra meat and veg and such and turn it into soup. Good luck.

Lisbeth Laursen January 9, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Hi there,

Could you please tell me more or less how much empty room a glass jar should have to allow the liquid to expand when freezing?

About to make my first bone broth in the near future :)

Best regards and thanks a bunch for a nice site!
Lisbeth
(Denmark)

Cheryl February 6, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Hi Lisbeth,

Most mason-type jars have a freezer fill line toward the top of the jar. It should be the top-most line if you have the types of jars that have measurements on them, usually 1-1.5″ from the top of the jar.

It’s usually best to refrigerate first to get cold and then pop into the freezer after. I’ve found when I didn’t refrigerate first that it changed the way the liquid expanded and although my containers had enough room, the center of the liquid built up into a mountainous peak that reached up to my lid, created pressure and actually cracked the jar. I haven’t had that problem when refrigerating first. You can always err on leaving more than enough head room. And as another commenter mentioned, you can always freeze with the lids off initially to make sure you won’t have any cracked jars. Once frozen if any liquid did expand past the jar lip so that you can’t fit the lid on, I’d imagine you could cover with plastic wrap and a rubberband to secure the contents.

Chrysa January 11, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Hi thanks for this great article. It was very informative and helped me make my first batch. I finished making my broth in the slow cooker and just have a question for you. You mentioned that you should strain everything and keep the broth, but is it okay if you drink everything that’s in the broth, meaning the fats and other pieces from the marrow? I just figured that I would like to get as much of the nutritional benefits for the gut healing process, as possible, so I am just consuming everything in the liquid, rather than straining it. I haven’t used vegetables, just the bones and the broth. But it’s pretty tasty so far and hopefully will also help me heal. Thanks again!

MayLing January 20, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thank you for this recipe and all the helpful tips! I’ve been wanting to find a good bone broth recipe. I look forward to trying it.

Melkat January 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Question: I bought a crock pot when I started making bone broth last year, but stopped using it for broth after I read somewhere that long cooking of acid-infused (vinegar-added) broths could pull lead out of the crock. Have you heard of this?

Now I use a large soup pot, and have found I have to be very careful not to ever let the water/broth come to an initial boil, or it will be hard to keep the temperature low enough, even with simmer plates between the pot and the gas burner. I have read that boiling is very detrimental to the healthful substances we are trying to extract.

Tips/answers for some other readers’ questions: I believe most any animal bones can be used and be beneficial, especially if the animals were healthfully raised (or wild), but many people find lamb bone broth to have a particularly unappetizing smell.

Please consider using/saving/consuming all the wonderful fat, especially if you are using bones/meats from organic/grass-fed animals. It is very healthful and an essential part of human diets. I roast beef bones before I start the broth and save the “drippings” for a marvelous cooking fat. I don’t skim off the fat from finished, chilled broth unless I have used a huge joint bone that produces an inordinate amount of fat. Unless you cannot digest fat properly, I believe it is healing as well as nourishing. Some nutrients are much better absorbed in the presence of fat. In the early stages of the GAPS diet for gut healing, when one is supposed to eliminate so many foods, the fat will provide satiety and calories.

For more information, I recommend Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet/books; and the Weston A. Price Foundation, and the Nourishing Traditions cookbook by its founder Sallon Fallon.

Final tip: none of the weird bits, fats, solids that people have been freaked out about are bad, that I know of (except, of course, bone bits), so don’t strain those out and throw away! If the appearance bothers you, use a blender to homogenize the final broth. This tip is especially good for chicken broth. I blend all the strained bits of skin and such (minus bones) into a puree and add it back into the broth (or soup — I turn most of my broths immediately into soups, and live on thise for days). We are not trying to make clear, French chef-approved consommé, but super-healing broths for our health. Don’t worry that the final product is cloudy — it will be delicious and healing.

(PS– if you are bold enough to try adding chicken bones to any broth, I strongly suggest cutting off the last joint of each toe first and throwing those tips away; otherwise you could end up with potentially-dangerous sharp little claws at large in the broth, especially if you don’t want to filter obsessively. It’s a little creepy the first time you do it, but worthwhile for a very healing end product.)

Ferris February 13, 2014 at 1:54 pm

I understood in early stages (Intro and Stage 1) we are supposed to cut Fat out as much as possible. Is that not true? Since starting SCD I am constipated. I was asymptomatic prior. I wonder if I should jump ship and drop SCD. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ferris

Jordan Reasoner February 13, 2014 at 4:11 pm

That’s common and if that happens, increase healthy fats. That’s the number on thing that gets the bowels moving.

J

Melkat January 21, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Dang — In that PS, I meant to type “bold enough to try adding chicken FEET”.

Melkat January 21, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Rats — anothe typo! The cookbook author mentioned is SALLY Fallon, not “Sallon Fallon”. *sigh*

Leisure February 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Making my first bone broth – organic butcher sold me knuckle bones as he said that’s what he uses, but I am curious if these bones have marrow in them (and does it come out in the cooking?) My understanding is that the health benefits are from the marrow. Any insights? Thanks.

Lynne February 12, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Try dry roasting the bones for 1 hour@400 degrees to intensify the flavor. I add a tbls. of chopped fresh ginger, a rounded teaspoon of turmeric, 2 teaspoons of fresh garlic once I have covered the bones with water in a crockpot. Once it simmers, add acv, parsley and bayleaf. Put on “HIGH”> After simmering 24 hours, I add leek, carrot, sweet potato celery and 2 tbls sea salt/ 10-12 peppercorns and more water if needed Simmer on low 6 more hours. Remove vegetables and bones. Scoop out any marrow that may remain and add back to the broth. Process in blender or strain through fine sieve. You can pour some broth over the delicious stewed vegetables and a little cooked quinua as a meal, and of course drink plenty of the nutrient rich broth as a tonic and anti-inflammatory.

Noelie February 22, 2014 at 6:46 pm

No, the mason quart jars are NOT freezer-safe, much to my disappointment. even with the headspace, they cracked. If you check out Ball/Kerr website (I think it’s the same company now, Jardin), they will indicate which jars are freezer safe and which are not. Their largest freezer-safe is a pint. That’s too small for us, since I make it once a month in a 12qt stock pot, the quart works best. So I’m currently searching online for an alternative.

As for the broth, to boost nutrients and medicinal value, besides the veggies, I toss in some juniper berries, burdock root, dandelion root, etc. I sip it in the am with sea salt and a squirt of lemon juice.

Loly March 30, 2014 at 11:17 am

I’ve frozen soups in wide mouth mason jars and fortunately they have not cracked. Could it be that you filled it up too much? Or put it in while it’s still hot?

Kristen March 1, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hey! I have ordered your book and I’ve been on the diet for a total of 19 days so far. I cooked the bone broth for 36 hours as suggested and had two bowls of it this morning. Shortly after I started getting EXTREMELY nauseous and eventually vomited several times. What gives? Should I discontinue drinking this if its making me feel that I’ll?

Thank you!

Kristen March 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Not 19 days *10 days

Herbman March 2, 2014 at 1:12 pm

When freezing use glass bowls, like “Pyrex” or anything stainless steel (even cookie sheets or bakeware). After frozen pop out frozen broth and break up into pieces to wrap or bag. Some like to use ice trays but I choose to avoid plastic and aluminum.

hheyymom March 10, 2014 at 5:29 am

I have the red meat allergy from getting Lymes disease ( tick bite). Do you think the beef broth would initiate an allergic reaction? I understand its an allergy to the alpha gal in the meat, but I’m thinking the broth wouldn’t be a problem. Does anyone have any comments on this? Thanks.

Jackie George August 20, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I would not for any reason try this, unlless you have about 3 eppi pens handy and a. hospital close by. This lyme/tick allergy is very serious. I’m no doctor but my niece has developed it and each attack gets worse. Recently she was at a cook out and brought some chicken burgers that she had made up herself. Never giving a thought to cross contamination. Well she almost died from cooking her burgers on the same grill and spatula.
Jackie in virginia

Ainsley March 24, 2014 at 5:25 am

I made my broth over the weekend. Went completely jelly like which was interesting!
I heated some up to have some last night, took a few sips and got crazy bloated stomach from just a few sips.
I just kept belching and it hurt so much. I really wanted to throw up but I couldn’t.
Have a done something wrong or am I intolerant to it?? Or could it be the cider I had before it?

I’m quite scared about trying it again!nany advice would be great.

Nancy March 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm

wide mouth Mason or Ball Jars. Fill about 3 inches from top as the broth expands as it freezes. Do not let the jars touch while freezing they can get pushed together and this will crack them as well. Do not place warm jars in freezer, broth must be room temp or cool. Lastly, place folded grocery bags between rows of jars to keep from touching and cracking because the glass will expand as broth freezes.

Nancy March 29, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Ainsley,
The jelly is gelatin and it’s an important nutrient of the broth, however not meant to be cinsumed that way. That is why you stir the broth the and strain it then distribute it into jars and refrigerate. You have to then warm up the jar of broth and take both broth and a little gelatin. It has to be evenly mixed in. Do not skim gelatin off and eat just that ir sometimes there is a layer of fat on top gelatin and just eating that may have upset your
stomach. Has to be evenly distributed, so heat in jar in crockpot and sip throughout the day.

Ray -D March 31, 2014 at 6:30 pm

this is my first time making the beef bone broth. there is a lot of oil or fat floating on
top do we skim that off or do you drink that to

Marissa April 4, 2014 at 12:55 am

I have a ton of bones from the cow we just butchered. I simmered them on the stove for about 2 days. This is my first time making bone broth with beef. It seems I didn’t simmer it long enough, because some of the bones still have some marrow inside and it’s not completely hallow. But my husband is tired of the house smelling like wet dog, as he likes to say. So I have these bones that don’t look completely finished. Should I make more? My other question is about the marrow. As I pulled out the bones, the some of the marrow came out in a super jelly-like substance and is now floating in the broth and some of it is crumbly and still kinda hard. What does that mean? I don’t want to waste any of this goodness. Last question. Since we just butchered our cow, I have zero room in my freezer for pretty much anything extra. So I was planning on canning the broth for my pantry. Will I lose anything by canning it?
Thanks so much. This is a great post and very insightful to newbies.
Marissa

Samantha April 7, 2014 at 4:12 am

Hi what’s the carb content of bone broth? Before adding celery at end? Done Buttonball fats shore high carb even without veg..?

judy reid April 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Could You Mix The Broth With Rice Or Rice Noodles? Or Does It Defeat The Healing Benefits?

Danielle April 23, 2014 at 3:00 pm

What are your thoughts about using this as a cleanse? I was advised to do use BBB for 4 days and I was not allowed to add any vegetables. What are you thoughts?
Danielle

patty April 24, 2014 at 11:20 am

My husband is very ill from long term affects of having low hcl. He has a moderate allergy to beef, so I am wondering if beef bones for bone broth is a bad idea. He is also is allergic to may other meats but on a mild scale.

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

sarah May 12, 2014 at 2:22 am

For my beef bone broth I add in carrots, rosemary, cinnamon sticks, tumeric, black pepper, whole onions and let it simmer for 12 hours. The bones I use are the huge bones from cow legs…I guess that would be the translation (I’m not sure what the term in English is) I use this bone broth for absolutely every thing. And its an amazing substitute for oil. It has cured all stomach issues I once had. Truly natures medicine.

Sandra June 26, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I have GERD and have started to follow a Paleo diet. When I read that bone broth soothed the stomach I made some. Cooked in a slow cooker for 24 hours with beef bones, cooled and skimmed off all the fat. First few sips irritated my stomach. Second attempt the next day (2 tablespoons) had the same effect, has anyone else experienced stomach discomfort rather than the stomach healing properties.

loli July 30, 2014 at 12:37 am

Just a recommendation: cool your broth down using an ice bath. You should try to get the temperature down to 70 degrees Fahrenheit within 20 minutes to prevent spoilage bacteria from reproducing. If you’re making a large batch, you can place a pot full of ice in the middle of the broth to cool it down. If it’s a small batch, sit it in an icebath.