How Dr. Galland Treats Digestive Disease… and When He Prescribes The SCD Diet (Podcast 29)

Why aren’t there more studies on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

That question used to drive me nuts when I was thinking about starting SCD.

Until I finally found one… one that seemed very convincing.

And it played a big role in thinking the SCD Diet might work for me…

One 20-Patient Crohn’s Study Proved SCD Can Work…

Dr. Leo Galland’s Crohn’s Disease study found that:

“All 20 patients demonstrated a decrease in symptoms and reduction in medication use. Six patients have entered complete clinical remission, discontinued all medication, and maintained remission for five to 80 months.”

So, when I read the hard evidence in the study, I was convinced that SCD does work… and gave me confidence that diet modification was the right treatment option for me.

And Dr. Galland’s work will continue to support SCD for years to come.

In today’s podcast, we had the honor of interviewing Dr. Galland all about his experience treating patients with IBD… and where The Specific Carbohydrate Diet fits in.

I really think you’ll enjoy it 🙂

On this Podcast with Dr. Galland, We Cover:

2:16 Dr. Galland shares the story of how he became involved with Integrated Medicine and putting the patient back into the healing process

9:01 How he discovered the power of The Specific Carbohydrate Diet and why he started using it with patients

13:21 Dr. Galland’s experience with SCD and treating patients with Ulcerative Colitis (as echoed by Elaine)

(Note From Jordan: Our experience with SCD and UC patients has not been the same as the experience Dr. Galland mentions here… as long as they are using the “phasing” approach to SCD we’ve seen it work well in relieving symptoms)

15:59 “For Crohn’s, I absolutely believe that the Specific Carbohydrate Diet should be the first approach to treatment”

17:15 How he approaches treatment of Crohn’s Disease… where The Specific Carbohydrate Diet fits in, and which supplements matter

19:34 How he approaches treatment of Ulcerative Colitis… where The Specific Carbohydrate Diet fits in, and which supplements matter

23:18 The specific changes he makes when SCD isn’t working for patients

30:12 The supplements he sees help… and hurt… in his treatment of IBD

39:40 The specific stool testing he finds helpful in finding parasites or bacterial infections that need to be addressed

46:30 How you can learn even more from Dr. Galland and follow his work

49:38 How healing occurs in patients and the 4 pillars of healing that you can control in order to get better

Play

Thanks for your time Dr. Galland. This was an incredible interview that will help so many people,

P.S. – If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here. Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

Tucker Sweeney November 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I just listened to the podcast and although there is a lot of interesting and valuable information regarding diet modification, SCD, and supplements, there are a few strong comments about the SCD that could lead people away from trying the diet to heal their UC. I just wanted to let everyone know that the SCD does work beautifully for those with ulcerative colitis (UC). I know at least four close friends with whom the diet worked wonders for their UC.
I myself tried a high fiber, vegetarian diet as described in the interview when I was diagnosed with UC and it nearly killed me due to aggravating my symptoms so much. It was only when I went on the diet 100%, including no FOS, that I found relief. My healing took place very slowly, yet always progressed in a positive way. Crohn’s patients with the disease in the small intestine may heal a bit faster in certain cases but this does not mean the SCD does not work for those with UC.
If you have UC, please do not think that the SCD will not work for you. I have first hand knowledge that it does as do many others.

Jordan Reasoner November 7, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Tucker! That’s a great point – and I completely agree with you and your comment.

I added this note in the time stamps:

It has been our experience that SCD has worked great for UC patients – and we’re confident that the diet works well for most everyone… as long as they work on developing their custom version that works for them 🙂

I would argue that any and all UC patients should try SCD right off the bat just the same as Crohn’s patients.

Look forward to doing our interview soon Tucker – talk soon,

Carol Frilegh November 10, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I found this podcast very disturbing. I exchanged thoughts with some key veteran SCD-ers. They are equally troubled.

Dr. Galland’s interview will tend to discourage people who had considered going on SCD.

Just because a health professional praised Elaine or was mentioned in her book does not mean that they fully support or even use her protocols. People who are already on SCD and adopt some of the doctor’s protocols may be harming themselves.

The talk belongs on a site that would best named,”Dr.Leo Galland’s Lifestyle.”

Carol Frilegh
SCD eleven years

Cassie November 10, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This was one of my favourite podcasts so far! So much information, and it gave me hope that someday I will be able to find a doctor here in Melbourne who will do the same for me. Keep up the fantastic work guys, it is greatly appreciated!

Marie November 13, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I do not see how the above comment regarding how Dr. Galland will scare people off from SCD. I think it is good information if SCD isn’t working. Removing dairy for me was CRITICAL. I don’t believe you should put blinders on. Whatever works for you is what you should do! Thank you Jordan and Steve! Your efforts to provide us information is a God-send. Please keep helping all of us!

Carol Frilegh November 14, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Removing dairy is not my issue. Elaine advised it WHEN THERE IS AN ADVERSE REACTION to dairy. and so do other Elaine approved websites like Pecanbread and BTVC SCD.

My issue is with things Dr. Galland uses that are not SCD compliant. He has opted to do this in his practice but it is not SCD which is what his podcast was supposed to be about. Didn’t he suggest a whey protein or did I misunderstand?

Eleven years on SCD and a close association with Elaine influenced my stance. I recovered using SCD and was able to broaden my menu.

Since recent colon resection I decided to return to SCD during the recovery period and it has helped a great deal especially in stopping typical post-surgery diaharrea.

The online support groups SCD BTVC and Pecanbread do not discuss non SCD programs. Perhaps those ground rules don’t apply on this board and if so I apologize for appearing either negative or critical.

I agree that people must do what works but in the majority of cases, the true SCD Elaine advocated garnered the most success, not the tweaking and mutations.

Brad November 15, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Fantastic podcast guys! I can’t wait to dive into some of this great content that was provided.

@Carol – I enjoyed the podcast you were featured in as well, but let’s be cognizant of the “us vs. them” speak. I know it’s hard to see the world outside of SCD when the diet worked so well for you, that’s a very common, very human reaction. But understand that there are people like me where the diet has helped some, but I still have a long way to go in my healing process. Is it really that bad that one podcast out of 29 spent some time interviewing a doctor that has successfully treated patients with SCD for decades, and by-the-way some other treatments as well? At the end of the day, you are healthy, and I’m not. These podcast is for the people still trying to figure it out.

Jordan and Steve bring new thinking to the table every week, and that’s why I listen.

Jordan Reasoner November 21, 2011 at 7:48 am

Thanks @Brad – appreciate the kind words.

– Jordan

Tracee November 21, 2011 at 7:33 am

I haven’t had a chance to listen to this yet, but when I saw Leo Galland mentioned on your site, I had to bookmark this for future. He has been a hero of mine. He wrote a book in the early 1980’s called Super Immunity for Kids, where he discusses food allergies and yeast issues in autistic kids. He began treating them for this years ago and getting good results. He was very ahead of mainstream medicine. Dr. Galland is one of those doctors that does his homework and has good intuition. His book Power Healing, 1997, is excellent too, and has one of my favorite quotes “The dramatic response of so many patients with Crohn’s disease to measures designed to control abnormal gut fermentation has led me to the conclusion that the failure to incorporate nutritional and antimicrobial therapy into a medical regimen for this disorder should be considered medical malpractice.”

Jordan Reasoner November 21, 2011 at 7:51 am

Thanks @Tracee – looking forward to your thoughts when you’ve listened.

Awesome quotes from Dr. Galland!

J

Gustoso March 20, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Wow, some great points from Dr Galland. He’s very comprehensive.

Rebecca May 13, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Hi Jordan and Steve

I found that podcast very informative for anyone with IBD even if I dont agree with everything the doctor says. I have been taking glutamine for a while and recently stopped as glutamine is supposed to reduce your levels of another amino acid taurine which apparently is used to make bile and as I am having problems digesting fats maybe removing glutamine could help. Also ankylosing spondilitis is known to develop in patients with Crohns. I live in Ireland and recently watched a programme called The Food Hospital. The programme uses diet to help people with certain disorders treat there illness. Anyway in one of the programmes they treated a woman with ankylosing spondilitis treat her illness with SCD. The reason they said the diet would work was because carbohydrates feed the bacteria Klebsilla which is transported from the bowel to the joints in the spine and causes inflammation. Klebsilla is said to be found in most healthy people anyway but maybe people with Crohns/Coilitis have way to much or some kind of mutation.
Thanks again for podcast