IBS-C – Naturally Heal Constipation

IBS constipation (IBS-C) sucks!  I’ve been there, straining so hard you see stars on the toilet or looking and feeling like you just ate Thanksgiving dinner for the 3rd time this week even though your half eaten salad is still in front of you.

Most people never seek professional medical help, they hear from a friend to “try more fruits and vegetables” or “take Miralax”.  Maybe they go to a doctor who tells them it’s in their heads or they just need more fiber.

I tried these and many more common IBS relief methods, and can tell you they are only temporary band-aids that usually do more harm than good.  I’m hoping that you won’t waste as much time as I did trying to figure out your ISB-C!  I’m going to explain how I overcame my IBS-C and you can do it with a few natural changes.

Why You’re Not Pooping As Often As You Want To

There are several factors that could be at play, most of which are still not well understood.  Hence the fact that the mainstream medical community commonly prescribes things that don’t actually fix any of the root cause of constipation.  I want to focus on two known components of constipation:  The first is gut bacteria and the second is digestion speed.

Poop is 50-70% dead bacteria.  In my opinion this tells us two things, the first is that the amount of good bacteria we need in our system is important (generally more is better) and second the proper mix of bacteria is important (more of the good kind & less of the bad).

The speed at which you digest is not controlled consciously.  After chewing your food everything else is supposed to happen in harmony (on auto-pilot).  For you and I with IBS-C, something is screwing this up.  So the question I often wondered was: what am I doing that is causing my digestive problems?  Well there are many factors that could be at play speeding up (stress and digestion) or slowing down (brain or nerve damage/problems) digestion.  But what if I am asking the wrong question?

What if the correct question to ask is: is my digestion structurally sound? Could it do its job if everything was optimal?  Absent any external forces on digestion it should proceed at the proper speed.  So that begs the question, during perfect digestion what controls digestive speed?  Our current understanding is the stomach acid strength or PH is the biggest contributor.  What that means if it is low, high, not working correctly then your digestion is basically doomed before you even take a bite of food.

How To Conquer Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Overcoming IBS naturally takes a few steps.  You may need to stop some current habits and/or add some new ones.  The best piece of advice I can give you is to start taking action (oh and forget any “magic pill” ideas they don’t exist).  It’s easy to be overwhelmed by too many conflicting opinions or choices.  But the only sure way you will overcome your Irritable bowel syndrome is to try a treatment and evaluate it for yourself.  Take what works, adopt it, and leave behind what doesn’t.  If you stay true to taking action in short time you will be regularly pooping with ease.

If you are ready to take control of your IBS-C and get relief from the cramping, bloating and pain the steps are lay below.  They work best when combined together, but at the very least you should pick one habit to stop right away and one new habit to implement in its place.

Stop the Top 3 IBS-C Triggers

1.  Stop Using Artificial Means of Pooping
Your brain and body are always learning based on the stimuli they come into contact with.  If you’re regularly using enemas or laxatives to poop your body is going to start expecting and depending on them.  Each time you use one of these methods, you are strengthening a neural pathway that says “you cannot poop on your own” (there are extreme exceptions like going longer than 4 days without a bowel movement but do what you can to stop the dependence).  Stop using these helpers and give your body the chance to do its business.

2.  Remove The Food Triggers of Constipation
Diarrhea gets most of press when it comes to food reactions and food allergies but people with IBS-C can have the exact same problems, with a different symptom.  Again, this is not totally understood, but for some people dairy and gluten trigger diarrhea and others it is constipation.  Most people who have IBS-C will see improvements if they eliminate the most common food allergens from their diets: wheat, corn, egg and dairy.

3.  Don’t Strain on The Toilet
Straining on the toilet is like the sucking down your food without chewing.  You’re messing up your body’s built in programs…STOP IT!  No but seriously, just like you were given a set of teeth to crush your food into small particles for good digestion.  You are equipped with a hormonal system that will urge you to evacuate waste effortlessly when its time.  Until then, straining and pushing on the toilet is counterproductive to retaining the body to naturally poop.  Not to mention too much pushing and toilet seat time can cause hemorrhoids and anal fissures, which no one wants.

Top 3 Steps to End Constipation

1.  Get More Bacteria in Your Life (Take Probiotics)
In our digestive system lives a diverse and large population of bacteria.  Our poop is mostly made of bacteria so it is important to support the good bacteria that make perfect poops possible.  There are a couple ways of getting more good bacteria in your life.  The first is like our ancestors eat fermented foods on a regular basis.  The second way is to take probiotic pills which contain known strains of good bacteria that will help.  When I started taking probiotics I immediately saw an improvement in my bowel movements.  I also saw good results eating SCD legal yogurt (a lactose-free fermented food) on a regular basis.  So I would recommend picking one or the other to get started.  Fermented foods or probiotic pills.  The fastest change I know of is to start taking some lactobacillus acidophilus pills.

2.  Eat a Supportive, Easy to Digest Diet (like the SCD Diet)

What is a healthy digestive diet?  My definition would be one that removes food toxins, made of whole non-processed foods and filled with nourishing easy to digest foods.  That means specifically no grains (filled with toxins) or added sugars (which feed bad bacteria and cause poor hormonal changes).  The best diet specifically designed for restoring digestive health is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD).  SCD encourages good bacterial growth to further heal your gut and helps to kill off bad bacteria that might be running amuck in your gut.  If you go the extra step of starting off with the intro diet (like the most successful people do) it is likely that you will start seeing results in the first week.

For a free guide to get started click here and we will email you one.

3.  Make Sure You Don’t Have Slow Digestion

IBS-C can easily be the result of slow digestion.  I said above that there are a number of things that can slow digestion down like stress, emotions, and toxins to name a few more.  But if the structural components that govern the speed are broken, then all other treatments are only going to be marginally effective.

Healthy stomach acid is the key to creating the proper bowel speed.  It all starts with the acid level, which is a first line body defense that destroys pathogens, toxins, and starts the digestive process through the intestines.  If you’re low, which is pretty typical for IBS-C people, you need to figure out how to get your acid levels up.  The best supplements are usually digestive bitters or Betaine HCL.  I use Betaine HCL very effectively and it has been a big key in getting rid of my IBS-C.

Remember these 6 steps work best in concert together to naturally get rid of your IBS-C and stop  that nagging constipation that creeps up every few days to annoy you.

I encourage you to take action today by choosing one of each and implementing them in your life.

Then come back tell me your still alive and how it went!

Sean January 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Would you recommend both a digestive enzyme and HCL w/ pepsin at the same time, or should you just stick with one? I have low stomach acid according to the baking soda test (no burp after ingesting 1/4 tsp and 8 oz water).

Jordan Reasoner January 6, 2012 at 12:05 am

That’s a great question Sean. I’ve taken both together for years. I find that if I just take Betaine I still don’t break down fats that well.

I suspect it’s related to my Celiac Disease and you might find that you do just fine with one or the other. Start with Betaine, that’s most important.

Then if you’re still not getting great results add in the enzymes. For some people that have history of stomach ulcers or are taking a corticosteriod it makes more sense to start with the enzymes first.

Let us know how it goes :-)

– Jordan

Janet Malone August 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

It makes a big difference for me if I take the Betaine HCL with Pepsin at the beginning of my meal and the Digestive enzymes at the end of it along with ox bile because I had my gall bladder removed.

Jordan Reasoner August 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Great tip Janet, thanks :-)

J

Jeremy D August 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

I’m going to say something that’s likely volatile but first let me preface.

I’m a Christian, husband, father, business owner and worship leader and about 5 years ago I started having pains in my side, heartburn, anxiety attacks, insomnia, numbness in my left arm and problems going to the bathroom etc… You get it. I searched the web to try to narrow the cause to no avail. Next step go to the Dr. correct? I spent $3,500.00 for multiple tests like CT scan, the probe (ouch) you name it. I had no ins so I paid OOP. Well everything was inconclusive but the problems remained. I tried the natural healer route but I was told I was gluten allergic so I cut it out, no good. My diet at this point was avocado, eggs, sour kraut because it’s all I could process for some reason. No hope, no plan and my future was crumbling, I thought I was dying.

I started doing some more research because dying wasn’t an option. I found a forum like this and read a comment like this that changed my life. The writer stated that cannabis is the miracle drug for IBS. Hmm, that seemed terribly conflicting with my values but desperation can lower your standards right? I know my neighbor smoked the stuff and I had done as a young person so knew it wasn’t going to take me to HELL or whatever, so I gave it a try. Immediately I felt the old factory get going in a very comfortable way, I was on the commode within minutes and my bowels were functioning normal. So it worked and I was amazed. It’s not a cure and I have to take it at least once a day but it does completely reduce the symptoms completely. Every now and then if I eat to much cheese it flares a little but I just roll a joint of some really good medical marijuana and it goes away. Don’t get the cheep seedy stuff that just gives you headaches and doesn’t work. I believe the active cannabiniod that is helping is called CBDT. Anyway you can imagine the adjustment I had to make in my mind to reason out the fact that among the list above I was also a pot head. I feel brand new again, I have hope for my future and I can eat what I want. Please don’t judge me, I had to make a choice for survival sake and the law be damned because a man has to do what a man has to do to live and love.

Steven Wright August 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

@Jeremy – Thanks for the input, it’s always great to hear from people what is working. I think you said it best “Don’t get the cheap seedy stuff” LOL. Anyways, we aren’t against this kind of treatment but please know you are not working to heal the root cause only to band aide the problem. So I’d encourage you too keep doing what’s working but don’t give up trying to figure out your root problems.

Neil October 26, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Jeremy
I was intrigued by your success with ‘Mary Jane’. I used to smoke casually but when all my issues started (anxiety, depression, stomach upset and constipation) MJ made it worse…especially the anxiety. I did a fair bit of reading on all of the above issues and found a strong connection between mood disorders and dysbiosis. Seems our bellies and bugs are pretty central to many health parameters. One point of relevance to your comment is that in addition to 5HT (serotonin) receptors our bowels also use Cannabinoid receptors to regulate certain functions. It doesn’t surprise me in the least to hear that smoking a little weed helps regulate your BMs. I agree with Steven though; the weed is not the fix and you should continue on with your research to find what’s out of balance and why. You could take the cannabinoid connection as a starting point. One last thing. I respect your decision to share your experience with us despite the apparent conflict you feel. I do judge you; I judge you to be honest and to put your welfare and the welfare of others above the dogma that has so stymied organized religion over the years. The world needs more Christians like you.

Eileen May 28, 2014 at 11:49 pm

I am a Christian also & there’s a scripture telling us if we judge than we will be judge & if we forgive than we will be forgiven & so on!!! But I have felt the same way u did, & mu doctor told me to try it but I don’t know if the way I was inhaling it gave me such gas that lock up because of my IBS-C that the 911 was called I thought I was dying so I don’t know if that was just because I was taking to much air, but right now I feel like I am dying & I know that Jesus promise us hope but I getting so tired of being onmy bed feeling like I am not going to make it!! Maybe I should try it another way? Please pray for me!!! Eileen

Heather September 4, 2012 at 10:30 am

I love your site first of all.

Second, I started eating SCD in 2005 for IBS-C mainly. The scd vanished every autoimmune symptom I ever had from Iritis to insomnia to PMS. The scd completely regulated my monthly cycle and eventually, every symptom that went with it went away (acne, cramps, etc.).
But the one thing that never went away is the constipation. I tried cutting out dairy and nuts for a time but I felt so limited I eventually would add them back. I didn’t notice a difference without them anyway. Back then, I couldn’t tolerate the yogurt. At all. It would make me badly constipated for days. Now I can eat a little and I don’t get bloated or gassy but I don’t think it ‘helps’ with the constipation.
I tried eating spoonfuls of coconut oil. I ate sauerkraut. I took probiotics. But I never did any of it consistently which could have been my problem. I don’t know. I did however, stick to scd consistently.
The past 4 years I started traveling and began eating non-scd foods like rice and potatoes and oats. I don’t like eating these things as I want to stick to scd but in certain countries, you eat what you are given or you starve. Or it’s rude. I’ve noticed a few things. These foods seem to be okay with my gut. I don’t get bloated from them nor does the constipation get worse. Yet, they don’t help the constipation get better either. Since I began eating them, other auto-immune symptoms have come back like acne, pms, joint pain. I just turned 30, this should be. And my body doesn’t seem to be able to fight disease and illness. Most days I don’t feel well and I am tired all the time. I NEED to be 100% scd for these reasons but the main issue, constipation, never gets resolved. In over 7 years of scd, it never went away.

I developed a slight egg allergy and break out in a rash under my eye when I eat them now. I suppose if I cut out all dairy, now eggs, permanently it may help. But at this point, I really don’t know what to do. Constipation has/does affect every aspect of my life. I just want it gone once in for all.

Chelle September 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

Jeremy, it’s not unChristian to think our amazing Creator made a plant that can help you! He made lots of them. No condemnation! Heather, I feel ya, I’ve had the same problem all of my life and can’t wait to implement the suggestions here that I haven’t tried. Thanks, Steven, for sharing what works for you! I’ve been gluten/ grain and sugar free for over a year. Lost tons of weight (78# with the help of HCG and above changes). I’m still only graced with a little poo every couple of days. I eat tons of veggies now, eggs, meat (grass fed/free range if I can afford them- lately sad factory farmed meat, which only causes more harm-yuck), cheese, avocados, two fruits and some nuts. I cut out nightshades cuz I read they cause inflammation leading to chronic pain, which I’ve dealt with for years. After over 2 mo. the pain is still here, so maybe it’s not the nightshades, or maybe I’ll have to try to go without dairy and/ or eggs. I don’t miss processed foods or sweets too much, but I seriously don’t know how I’ll get enough calories to maintain my weight though. Jeesh. Life can be crazy.

Heather Y January 16, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I have a question about the acid level. I have Achalasia, for which I had surgery last year. So I take an Omeprazole acid reducer pill every morning. I’ve been taking it off and on for years, but my understanding is that since the valve of my esophagus is permanently open now, it’s necessary for me to take an acid reducer. Should I not be? I’m just starting the SCD diet, and I do suffer from iBS-C. Do you think my need for Omeprazole will go away? And should I be taking a Betaine HCL instead? I’ve never been able to figure out if my acid level is too low or too high.

Steven Wright January 18, 2013 at 3:40 pm

@Heather – I’m actually not sure with Achalasia I would talk with a naturopathic doctor on that one. I think SCD would be great to try and lots of fermented foods but I’d do some more consulting before starting HCL

pink44 January 24, 2014 at 9:27 am

Late to the commenting here but… I also take omeprozole daily 40mg. I have GERD, regular acid reflux, indigestion, etc., to the extend of it eating away at my esophagus and sinus passages. I actually had to have my sinuses rebuilt and esophagus patched. After trying to get off the meds for years, I finally had to accept that I had to take it: next conclusion- my IBS was never gonna get better. Now I am still working on comfort treatments because meds and diet dont work for me. I just wanted to let people with acid issues (severe ones) to not stop taking meds unless a doctor says to. The surgery I had was not fun. The ear problems, collapsed sinuses, holes in throat, throwing up blood, is not fun. If trading your meds for acid issues for ibs issues – you’re just prolonging a windmill effect. If it isn’t one that is bad, it will be the other. At least there are some ways to help ibs discomfort. The only treatment for the other is acid reducers – unless you have surgery but that is also a bandaid.

Anmol bains February 11, 2013 at 4:47 am

Hello myself Anmol and I m suffering from ibs.c from past 5 years.anyting i eat causes me constipation please do suggest me any measures whch can work for me.as my life is finish i used to go to gym in the morning daily and go for a walk at the evening bt my problem is as the same.I am unable to do a job as i am afr
aid that if i got a motion where should i go i got motions daily but incomplete as there is a feeling of nt having a complete motion.I hav to go to the motions 2 to 3 times a day and i cnt stp the feeling without passing motion.my lyf is finished i cnt enjoy my lyf nor help my parents my helping them by giving money as i am unable to do the job as i am afraid that if the urge to go to toilet will happen i got vry streesed up bcoz of this.the stool i passed is nt hard its soft but i m unable to finish it at one time i hav to walk 2 the toilet 2 to 3 times a day.and sometimes there is a pain in the toilet area.as i hav read ur above suggestions and i wil try 2 follow them and if u cn do sumthng more for me plz.suggest me as soon as posibl bcoz its ruining my lyf.plz help me out plz.

Mikayla April 14, 2013 at 9:02 am

I have cystic fibrosis (pancreatic problem leading to fat malabsorption, big digestive problems, etc.) and I started the SCD last week. I have not had a substantial poop since I started, only rock-hard small pebbles every few days. Does eating a lot of meat (grassfed beef) create constipation problems? I’ve been eating way more meat than usual on the intro diet. Is my body telling me that meat is clogging me up? If so, how does meat cause constipation exactly? Thanks!

Steven Wright April 15, 2013 at 9:05 am

@Mikayla – Meat in general doesn’t cause constipation but a body that’s not able to digest it properly yet can result in your experience. It’s likely you need some digestive enzyme support and I’d read this too http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/06/hypochlorhydria-3-common-signs-of-low-stomach-acid/

Teryl (Teri) Barrett July 18, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Which digestive bitters do you recommend as I see things in some of them that are not SCD legal but at this point I’ll try anything… going to start over today with the steps for getting the right amount of HCL/pepsin also. I’m miserable. Teri

Natalie Macdonald November 6, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I found that the probiotic syntol helped me tremendously as it has enzymes in it as well as probiotic spores that don’t die before they reach your gut. I actually got to the point where I was having 1 movement a day which was a huge upgrade from my once every 3 or 4 days that I am usually. I got a bit ahead of myself and tried to incorporate eggs back into my diet and now am back to not going. Really sad as I love eggs :(

rich December 1, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I have had IBS-C for 10 yrs…it does not affect me all of the time. I can literally go months , eating anything, then boom. Constipation, nausea, constant feeling of fullness. I am currently 2 mos into this current episode. I have not been able to eat as much as I normally do because I am afraid of how i will feel. I have gone from 197 to weighing 180 and im 6’1. Tested negative for Celiac disease, Stomach CT scan normal, colonoscopy 1 yr ago-normal, had upper gi one week ago, waiting on results.

I can’t figure it out..y can i go so long without anything being wrong then bang..the elimination diet sounds correct in theory..but as i said, i can go for months eating anything. I dont know what to do..any suggestions?

Thanks a million

jessica December 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Hi ive been having bowel problems for about 10years ive been to the doctor they all say the same thing….. I have tried everything fiber metamucil cleanses which help while I’m on them and so much more. Nothing is helping!!!!! I’ll go a week before I can go to the bathroom its been so bad ive had to use enemas I have hemmroids removed but that didnt help at all… I’m stressed a lot always have been that way I’m just lost and getting sick of it.. and when I do go sometimes I can’t stop all day so that makes everthing worse rather then better so I lose eather way any suggestions?? Please help

Steve January 7, 2014 at 11:13 am

I also suffer from incomplete evacuation most of the time but sometimes I have to go to the washroom so bad that i absolutely cant hold it…I have had this problem for 7 years and its pretty much screwed up my whole life..any sguggestions??

Liz January 10, 2014 at 6:57 am

This acid/alkaline thing is very confusing. There are websites touting bicarbonate of soda as a cure for cancer and other things, but they never say don’t take it before eating, which to me rings alarm bells. Surely the bicarb is just going to fizz with the acid in our stomach, then the body is going to panic and make some more. I’ve read about taking acid, but it has always seemed sort of counter-intuitive when you seem to have too much. I do take digestive enzymes sometimes, especially if I am having meat. I’ve been trying all sorts of diets and protocols over the years because bowel cancer is in our family. The thing that helped me most I think was liver flushes. But you need to take herbs to clear the kidneys first and make sure there are no parasites. I have cut out wheat after listening to the gluten summit with Tom O’Bryan. To the person who tested negative to Celiacs I would say google Tom O’Bryan and get hold of the recordings of the summit. Amazing info from top professors. There’s a follow-up summit called Now you know, where do you go? starting end of the month.
I’m new to this website and I have been sprouting chickpeas, then drying them, milling them into flour and making pancakes. I’ve just seen that chickpeas are on your no list which is disappointing. I have no problem digesting them if sprouted first – socca bread from gram flour would totally kill me with gas. Maybe I’ll experiment with the permitted legumes.
I also find milk kefir very helpful. I use goats’ milk. Is that safer than cows’?
Many thanks

Camron January 24, 2014 at 6:03 pm

When is the best time to take probiotics? Before or after your meal? Or does it really matter?

Latricia January 27, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Hi, I have IBS-C I have been dealing this for 23 years now. In 2013 I was having a lot of problems with my stomach my Doctor ran all kinds test yet I still get this burning feeling in my stomach, but not as bad since I take hci pills sometimes. I have this feeling of bad gas that I can’t get rid of and I can hear like water floating around my stomach. My Doctor wanted me to try the foodmap diet I can say it has helped in a way but still having ibs-c with ibs-d I just don’t know what to do any more.

Candice February 3, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I’ve tried so many things since being diagnosed with IBS and none of them worked. After researching online what seemed like months I finally noticed that in everything I read stress was always there as a possible trigger for IBS so I changed my focus and started researching stress and how to relieve stress. Exercise is a great stress reliever so I started running 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes within a month my symptoms were gone. I highly recommend some sort of exercise program. I don’t take any medications at all and no longer have to limit anything in my diet.

kathy March 11, 2014 at 2:14 pm

hi I was wrongfully diognosed with Chrohns for 1 1/2 years turns out I had H-pylori they killed the Bacteria with lots of antibiotics took them for months with no probioticsended up killing the h-pylori ended up after that having to get Sugery for grade 3 Rectocele and now the Natuopatic doctor says I have Candida due to the antibiotics 4 years later…. have to go for the same surgery again not as bad but never feel any movement in my stomach burps seem to be weak and have severe IBS C I was taking restoralax for the last 1/12 but now I am on a cleanse called cleanse smart and it seems to be helping never been on restoralax for 1 month now but I can go to the bathroom better but still IBS C can you please help me!!!!!! I feel like giving up throwing in the towel… oh also he said I have thrush but since I have stoped sugar and the cleanse has made that get better too

Ana March 17, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I swear is a daily battle, I have IBS-C my two symptoms are BLOATINESS I look like misses Puff from Spongebob daily and of course constipation, I will follow your suggestions, I started taking Allign last Saturday to get some good bacteria in and I will have to completely change my diet, sometimes I wish I had IBS D instead of this one, is uncomfortable to even get out of bed, thanks for the good info and good luck to everyone

Ron March 19, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Another person with IBS-C . I’m 58, just had my second colonoscopy and endoscopy. Colonoscopy was no issues, the Endoscopy revealed the beginning states of Barretts Esophagus, which could be the precursor of esophageal cancer. The reason for that is GERD. The problem is if I take any type of meds for that, BAM, constipation. I also recently started having that burning sensation in the gut like another poster had. I’m to the point that no matter what I eat, I get bloated, gassy, and just feel like crap. (no pun intended) So, I’ve read what you suggest, what others have done and it looks like it’s time for some more changes in my diet. Right now I don’t eat any cheese, rice, bread with yeast because if I do, I’m backed up like The New Jersey Turnpike. Pretty frustrating.

Karen ann April 30, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Hello. I just came across this website and I have read through everyone’s stories and comments. I tried a diet very similar many years ago and it changed my life for the better as I ignored Ll the doctors medical advice. My story of what happened to me was quite unbelievable, but I made it through. I lost my ENTIRE large intestine. However, as the years passed I began eating and bringing back sugars and ‘good carbs’. I am still suffering from CFS and Adrenal fatigue and I do know it’s the foods that is the culprit because my gut system is not healed. However, I am looking for support because this time around I am finding it almost impossible to give up my sweet treat each day. The
cravings are so intense and ALL day and night. The sweet treat I cheat on is GF,Dairy free, soy free, nut free, vegan, egg free etc….they are delicious but I KNOW it’s the sugar and the grain that is used. I don’t eat a lot of things in fact my diet is so restricted. By reading the SCD diet, I cannot eat nuts,diary, any fruits,broths,garlic,onion,broccoli, lamb, turkey and the list goes on. I eat organically and cook fresh meals three times a day.
What I am searching for is some support system and or coach to get me through this to start again on a SCD diet/lifestyle. My digestion is so bad that it takes hours for me to digest chicken and vegetables. If I take a Sip of water the food just comes back up hours later. I am so frustrated and do feel a little resentment on being so limited. I have asked for my husband to try to help and join me on a similar diet so we can work together and he’ll each other, but he says no. I need support and I am reaching out. Thanks for listening.
P.S I don’t see any activity recently on this site. Are there people I can talk to?

Eileen May 28, 2014 at 11:57 pm

I am a Christian also & I have been looking for something natural to help with my IBS-C & it’s severe, I even have gone to a good gastrologist & he even said I should try cannabis, but when I did, it was using a large tube thing that my son-law let me use & it caused me to have a lot of gas that was trapped I my colon & I really thought I was dying & they called 911, all test were taken & again nothing turned up but my doctor told me that a person can be really allergic to gluten & the test still will say that your not allergic, he said just to cut it out & if u start to feel better than u need to stay off of it! I also have spent most of my time in bed, because now it’s effecting my Immune system& I don’t know what to do but continue to pray!!

Melissa June 8, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Hello,
How long have you been on HCL betaine?
I was on it for 2 years, my stomach was good and I stopped about a month ago. The past two weeks my stomach pain/constipation has resurfaced.

Is it safe to be taking longterm?

Nadine June 27, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I found something that worked for me – and it turned things around fast. I had (have?) a bout of ibs-c. Came on right after a gut infection of some sort. So I was operating on the theory that my good bacteria had been wiped out and that my digestive tract had been damaged. Tried everything for about 3 weeks. Started a probiotic, which I’m still taking. Drank a lot of water, which I’m still doing. Taking deglycyrrhizinated licorice. And I’ve removed things from my diet that I know I can’t handle very well. But what really made the huge difference for me was eating coconut oil (a good grade – virgin, unrefined). Everything feels back to normal now – and the change happened just like that – the coconut oil literally cleared up all my symptoms the first morning that I ate 2 tsp of it. I think it’s a natural laxative, but I think continued use also ‘preps’ the colon so that the probiotic can take hold ( it’s not that easy to repopulate the colon). Anyway, still taking a couple of times a day, but hope to stop soon (almost afraid to) and just do ‘oil pulling’ with coconut or sesame oil.

I’m not selling the stuff, and up until a few days ago didn’t know anything about it. I was desperately googling when I came across the amazing benefits of coconut oil – controlling ibs symptoms just one of the many things that it supposedly is good for.

One more comment – I’m getting into the ‘fad’ of ‘oil pulling’ (which I also discovered when researching IBS) because I suspect that some undiscovered tooth infection or decay may have started this trip. I’m hoping that oil pulling will take care of the bacteria in the mouth – and subsequently keep the colon clean.

Katie June 29, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Hi ive been suffering with ibs c for 4 years now all medicine has failed to help apart from sodium picosulphate which helps me go to the loo everyday but i still feel horendous with nausea, tummy ache and not feeling right. Its slowly ruining my life and stopped me being a nurse. I know people suffer with this for over 30 years and i cant cope now. Do you think taking betaine hcl probiotics and enzymes as well as still having the laxative will work? As i cant stop taking the laxative if so what dose of betaine hcl would you recomend? Do you have any other advice Thanks so much Katie