Dr. Hoffman Treats Patients With The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (Podcast 27)

What convinced you to start the Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

For me, it was just a few printed words.

I read “Breaking The Vicious Cycle” twice… but I was still deeply afraid the diet wouldn’t work for me and didn’t start.

Until late one night when I was stuck on the toilet and realized I never read the forward to the book.

I had skipped over it… twice.

And that’s when a Doctor convinced me to try The Specific Carbohydrate Diet…

Dr. Ronald Hoffman wrote the forward to “Breaking The Vicious Cycle”.

So when I read about his clinical experience with SCD it was just enough to push me into starting the diet.

He convinced me to change my life… and it is the best decision I’ve ever made!

And in today’s podcast, we had the honor of interviewing Dr. Hoffman all about his experience treating patients with SCD.

I really think you’ll enjoy it :-)

In this podcast with Dr. Hoffman, we cover:

1:04 Dr. Hoffman’s incredible journey to SCD when his patients weren’t getting any better… and how he ended up writing the forward to “Breaking The Vicious Cycle”

6:10 What he tells patients and Doctors who aren’t convinced diet affects health and his experience using SCD

13:35 The main side effect of SCD that makes some Gastroenterologist mad

15:08 Who he typically prescribes The Specific Carbohydrate Diet and how well it works for them…

18:55 The most common SCD mistakes he sees patients make that prevent the diet from working

23:30 His recommended approach for starting SCD that works best for his patients… (with the admission that this diet is not universally effective)

25:20 The specific supplements and treatments he uses alongside SCD, including which ones ACTUALLY work for his patients

30:37 How well do people handle the transition to eating more healthy fats and can the body adjust?

32:10 His thoughts on patients using SCD while taking drugs and how to tell when it’s time to back off them

41:49 The honest truth about who he’s seen respond well to SCD and the one key tweak he makes with some men

44:28 How you can learn ever more from Dr. Hoffman and listen to his radio show

45:38 How to talk to your doctor about complimentary and alternative medicine

Play

Thanks for your time Dr. Hoffman – this was an incredible interview that will help so many people,

P.S. – If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here.   Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

Paul October 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Really informative interview guys, great take-aways. Thanks!

Jordan Reasoner October 12, 2011 at 8:19 am

Thanks @Paul!

Roger October 12, 2011 at 11:17 am

Thanks for the interview of Dr Hoffman, it was informative and it is good to hear from a medical doctor about SCD who is thoughtful and open minded about the role of diet in helping manage colitis

Jordan Reasoner October 13, 2011 at 6:33 am

Thanks @Roger!

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Thanks @Roger!

Ashley October 12, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hey guys,

Great podpast – loved it. Can you do a podcast with Jordin Rubin wrote wrote the Maker’s Diet and cured his CD from this…. He corresponded with Elaine Gottschall for SCD for a while… curious to know his results,

Best regards,
Ashley

Jordan Reasoner October 13, 2011 at 6:33 am

@ Ashley – Thanks for the feedback, I’ll follow-up on that. I had seen his book a while back and thought he would be interesting to talk to.

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I will work on that one Ashley, ha-ha!

Mike October 13, 2011 at 6:29 am

Hugely insightful and informative. Even an experienced SCDer could take something away from this podcast. Thanks guys!

Jordan Reasoner October 13, 2011 at 6:32 am

Thanks @Mike!

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Thanks @ Mike

Ed October 13, 2011 at 10:22 am

Cmon guys, Dr Hoffman was hardly a ringing endorsement for the SCD diet. After reading his Salmon and Salad diet, I can see why – unlimited legumes! you gotta be kidding, and no mention of saturated fats. Me thinks the good doctor has his fingers in too many pies. He may have been a fan once, but now his pecuniary interests have swayed his convictions – take a look at his online store.

Alessandra October 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Hey guys

Thanks for the great podcast. What’s the name of the supplement dr Hoffman mentions after vitamin d?

Thanks

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

@ Alessandra, here’s a quick list of what he mentions:

– Intravenious vitamins only if really bad (vitamin C and zinc)
– Treating anemia w/o iron pills = meat
– Enteric coated fish oil
– Herbs Boswellian and Kirkumen, Olive Leaf, Resveratrol, green tea
– Glutamine not so sure
– Butyrate Enemas (SCFA to repair GI mucosa helpful with proctitis)
*Send Klaire Labs
– Probiotics VSL#6 and S. Boulardii
– Bentanite or Sonnes #7 for Diarrhea

Lou November 3, 2011 at 9:19 am

Tremendous podcast. It provided a lot of really good information. Some reinforcement of what I’m doing and thus encouragement. And some interesting information about what I can try.

Well done – keep up the good work.
Regards, Lou

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thanks @ Lou!

Michelle Iadarola January 3, 2013 at 8:59 pm

My daughter was sick, on many meds, and weighed 99 pounds before SCD. Two years later she is med free, thriving, in college, and weighs 130 pounds. She is beautiful and healthy! We are so thankful for SCD. it has changed her life!

Jordan Reasoner January 4, 2013 at 1:15 am

Wonderful Michelle, thank you for sharing!

Michelle Iadarola January 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm

AWSOME PODCAST!

Lise September 27, 2014 at 10:29 am

Need advice… Hi, I am Lise. 50 years old and suffering for severe Crohns. 85 lbs and falling :( I was first dx with Ulcerative colitis had a total colonectomy with an ileostomy. Had a J pouch built but then was dx with Crohns. I am on remicade 300mg q 6 weeks and PO immuran daily. Having many fungal infections in my esophagus. So finally decided to start the SCD. Its been approx. 1 week, no changes really, but of course I will give it time. What I would like to know from Dr Hoffman is am I a candidate for this diet. If yes anything else I should be doing??

Lori Jo Berg September 28, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Hi Lise, I am sorry to hear of your struggles right now. My first recommendation is to find a functional medicine practitioner you trust to help you on this journey. If you need a resource, please go here: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/ The SCD diet will provide you with an anti inflammatory approach to eating, which in turn will help to heal the digestive system and boost immunity. Give the diet some more time to work and we are confident you will see positive changes soon.