SCD Antibiotics, Pencil Poops, and Elevated Liver Enzymes (Podcast 26)

In today’s mailbag podcast, we cover everything from pencil poops to elevated liver enzymes… and I really think you’ll enjoy it πŸ™‚

We Cover…

2:10 Comparing SCD to GAPS, Paleo/Primal, and FODMAP – the gloves come off… and find out what they all have in common that really matters

11:15 Our best strategy for introducing dairy – and the specific order that seems to work best

14:49 What to do about “pencil poops” and why they might be a subtle clue you need to pay attention to

20:30 How to find good quality turkey without additives that can slow your healing… and our opinion on Rosemary Extract

24:40 What to do if you fail the “stomach acid” test… and how to overcome side effects from introducing probiotics

30:13 3 things to check when you see elevated liver enzymes… especially if you’re worried SCD could be causing more harm than good

35:41 Exactly what to do if you want to try Betaine HCL… but you’re stuck taking Prilosec

40:45 The steps to avoid CRUSHING setbacks from antibiotics – and how to know when antibiotics might be exactly what you NEED

Play

Want your questions answered on the next podcast?

Submit your question here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7DZJJTT

– If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here.

– Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

sharon September 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

Just wanted to mention, regarding the question about the ground turkey and rosemary extract. You got on the subject of “what’s in meat”.. Personally, when I started this diet I found a local Weston Price Foundation chapter. I drive 40 minutes every two weeks to pick up pasture raised, farm fresh organic meat. In my area, I never thought this would be possible. So you may want to check that source.

Jordan Reasoner October 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm

@ Sharon – Hey thanks for the great idea! There are many Local WPF chapters and they share many of the same food beliefs as SCD

Brad October 5, 2011 at 11:05 pm

For Chris – I had a similar experience with having elevated liver enzymes on SCD back in March. My doctor was really concerned about it, and suggested that it was all the supplements I was taking – or one of them – that was causing it. My problem was, I was taking so many that I had no way of telling which ones! Jordan and I emailed about it, and he gave me the suggestions listed in the podcast. My solution was to cut back on the sup’s. In the end it was either the digestive enzymes (GI Pro Health) or the Betaine HCl that was causing the high liver numbers.

For me, this caused a revelation: this diet is about nourishing your body and eating “real” food that your body was built to digest. This concept conflict with the whole idea of supplements, which are made in a lab. So from then on I was supplement free and haven’t looked back. I get my nutrients from my food, and both my wallet and my blood counts are better.

Depending on how high your liver numbers are, it could take weeks for it to get back into the right range, so you’re just looking for the numbers to get out of the red, and start heading in the right direction. Good luck!

Jordan Reasoner October 10, 2011 at 9:10 am

Thanks @Brad!

Alessandra Edwards October 6, 2011 at 6:54 am

Thanks for another great podcast! About the rosemary extract question, rosemary, like most herbs, is very high in salicylates, so that might possibly be a reason why it’s bothering that person.

Jordan Reasoner October 10, 2011 at 9:10 am

Thanks @Alessandra!

Jon Schooley October 6, 2011 at 11:43 am

I’m currently suffering from malabsorption due to insufficient stomach acid and enzyme. My question is about digestive/betaine hcl supplementation, is it going to be a life long crutch or will my body in time begin to produce enzymes and antique stomach acid on its own?

Jordan Reasoner October 10, 2011 at 9:16 am

@ Jon,

Good question. The digestive track is “facultative” meaning that if you don’t use it for some time, it will still work again when you challenge it later. What that means is that your enzyme and stomach acid production will work fine again later on in life (unless you have something genetically wrong or a permanent dysfunction).

In the meantime, it could be that your production is being affected by inflammation, parasites, or infection that you can take care of over time. Then later on try going off the digestive aides and see how things go. In many cases, patients can go back off them… but everyone is unique πŸ™‚

Janet Sherwood July 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Interesting statement on “natural flavorings” from the Kroger website:
“Sometimes you will see the term “natural flavors” in the ingredient list. Natural flavors may contain gluten. In this instance, you will need to call the Kroger Dietitian Hotline at 1-800-632-6900 to find out if the product contains gluten. We will not divulge the exact ingredients in the natural flavors, as that information is proprietary. We will, however, let you know if the natural flavors contain gluten. Artificial flavors and spices do not contain gluten.”
Don’t know if they would respond a specific question about sugar, dextrose, etc. but it’s worth a try. They are all about “gluten-free” for celiac. And, yes, we are all about SCD for celiac and other digestive diseases! πŸ™‚