How to Tell if You Have Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and What to do About it (SCD Podcast 25)

Have you ever met someone new and completely hit it off?

Like you were long lost friends that could talk about anything?

Recently that happened to me after a chance introduction email… and the first time we met on the phone we talked for hours about everything from poop to wine.

And the best part?

My wife is a HUGE fan of my new friend because now I have someone ELSE to talk to every time I find a new study on gut bacteria and fecal transplants.

Anyway, in this 54-min podcast I interview my new friend: Dr. Allison Siebecker from siboinfo.com.

She suffered from IBS for years until she found SCD and then became an expert in Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). I really think you’ll enjoy hearing her clinical experience using SCD as a treatment to overcome small intestinal bacterial overgrowth…

Especially the part where she shares how to tell if you have it and what to do about it.

In Podcast 25 We Cover:

1:25 How she used SCD to overcome IBS – then discovered why it works for SIBO

8:25 What exactly is SIBO… so you know what you’re up against

12:50 The symptoms that you have SIBO and the specific tests to know for sure

20:21 What to do if you have SIBO and how to choose the treatment option that’s right for you

26:35 Shedding light on the “die-off’ mystery – with clinical experience on what to expect and how long it lasts

30:56 Using SCD as a treatment for SIBO – and whether or not antibiotics are really necessary

34:40 The pitfalls to avoid if you want to cure SIBO with SCD – and the mistakes that can work against your healing progress

38:27 The best answer when figuring out how long it takes to CURE SIBO

45:22 The specific steps to follow for the next 30 days, 90 days, and 1 year to overcome SIBO AND make sure it doesn’t come back again

51:56 How to become a SIBO expert by gaining access to the latest treatment strategies being taught to medical professionals

Play

Thank you Dr. Siebecker.

I hope you enjoy the interview :)

Want your questions answered on a podcast?

Submit your questions here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7DZJJTT

- If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here.

- Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

Marie August 31, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for having Dr. Siebecker on! This was AMAZING! Thank God there are doctors out there like her. My situation makes so much more sense now! You all are my heros!

Anne Marie September 1, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Awesome awesome podcast!! Very enlightening regarding SIBO. Many thanks!!!!!

Marielle September 10, 2011 at 7:34 am

Thank you for all this information !
Being French, I would be very grateful if someone could make a transcription of that podcast : despite all my attention I missed a lot of useful informations I couldn’t understand.

Marielle September 10, 2011 at 7:37 am

And also, I discovered very recently that I had fructose malabsorption (I suffer from UC). Do you have some info and advices about it ? Thank you so much for your amazing work.

Susan September 13, 2011 at 6:47 pm

This is great! If anyone is in the midwest, there is a GI practice here in St. Louis, which is one of the foremost SIBO testing centers around. I believe, in addition to testing in office, you can also test at home. Just do a search for Leonard Weinstock SIBO and you will find them. They are great believers in SIBO and very supportive of the surrounding protocols! (not all docs are…)
Thanks, Steve and Jordan, for your wonderful work.

Tracee September 21, 2011 at 9:15 am

Great podcast. Very informative. Thank you!!

Susan September 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been on SCD for over 3 weeks and decided to be tested for SIBO. I contacted Dr. Siebecker, asking if SCD would skew my results…her gracious reply was yes, probably so…and that as few as 3 days back on a ‘normal’ diet could show results more ‘truly’. So…bummed as I was to give up my progress, I went back onto my ‘normal’ diet and will have the test next week. If anyone is on SCD and is going to be tested for SIBO, bear this in mind. (at the same time, I’m asking myself why I’m having the test, when the point of SCD is to wipe out the bad bacteria!)

Steven Wright September 28, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hi Susan – Unless I’m wrong, the biggest reason SCD is going to “skew” the results down is because SCD is a treatment for SIBO. So the results of the test would be lower than if you were eating a higher carbohydrate SAD. Sometimes just like we talked about in the podcast more than SCD is needed to attack the bacteria if you want faster results. Also, if you do go off SCD for a few days you don’t just lose all the work you’ve been doing.

Susan October 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Thanks, Steven–you are right re. SCD being a treatment and results probably being lower if you are on it. I didn’t want to chance it, so I did go off of SCD, and, due to delaying the test for various reasons, I will be off of it for 1 1/2 weeks total…at that point, I think many benefits I had gained from my 3 weeks ON SCD will have been lost. I plan to re-start the intro after the test…meaning all meals that day…and go from there.
Thanks so much!

Steven Wright October 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Hey Susan – I was thinking about this the other night. It’s sort of like a double positive if your on SCD and still have a positive SIBO test. And if your getting results from SCD, and the test is negative that is still a positive for SIBO in my opinion (because it’s a treatment for it). Things to think about.

Some of the gains may be lost, but the skills and experience of getting started won’t be. It will make it easier and faster for you to get your gains back because you’ve already been through it once.

Hope you can share your results here!

Ruth Buchweitz October 5, 2011 at 8:16 am

Thank you so much for this webcast. I learned so much that may help explain what is going on with me–belching and abdominal pain which got worse after being on an antibiotic for strep. I made an appointment with my doctor to discuss this.
Thanks again,
Ruth

Jordan Reasoner October 10, 2011 at 9:05 am

@ Ruth – Thanks! Great work making the appointment, let us know how that goes.

Bryan October 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I have a question about betaine Hcl. I have reflux, problems digesting, LPR, and am also really, really sensitive to just about everything that I put in my body. I’ve tried betaine HCl aftermeals a few times now and have noticed that I am getting a sweat and some pain in the stomach. Not all the time does this happen. When it does, it seems to take some time to develop and I am not sure if it’s due to the betaine HCl. I also have pain in my right side which may be a gallbladder problem.

I guess I wonder if I should stop with the betaine HCl? I have so many symptoms that suggest I need it. Besides the LPR and other reflux issues, I was diagnosed with a gastrointestional motility disorder, i’ve had outbreaks of acne around the mouth and on the back.

I have not started the SCD Intro. I’ve given a couple attempts but have been easing into it. The broth took some time to get used to (it was provoking a neuro-reaction) and I broke the diet a couple of times (since I wasn’t technically on it) when I had sugar cravings.

Anyway, any advice on continuing the betaine HCl? Also, do you know if the SCD diet can help with liver or gallbladder dysfunction?

Thanks,
Bryan

Jordan Reasoner October 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

@ Bryan

HCL will generally cause a burning or warming sensation below the belly button (in the stomach) if you take too much. Also, the amount varies depending on how much protein you’re eating with meals. So for example if you’re eating some fruit and a salad or something… you don’t really want to take any Betaine HCL or it will cause burning.

But if you’re eating a steak, you’re going to need some. Something like Salmon is somewhere between steak and fruit/veggies. So you have to find your sweet spot for the different amounts of protein that you’re eating.

Also, the only way to really know if you’re a good candidate is two fold:

1) Get a “Heidelberg Test” to get accurate readings on your stomach acid levels
2) Get a stomach scope to make sure you don’t have any ulcers or gastric bleeding that HCL will aggravate

Ultimately, it’s up to you… but I would say that getting on full SCD is going to help more than getting a handle on your HCL :-)

Let us know how it goes,

Pam October 6, 2011 at 6:06 pm

WOW!! I sure learned a lot, but still I know so very little but this has given me hope to keep pressing forward. This interview with Dr. Siebecker was great, and I noticed from her site that she’s from Oregon too! Thank you so much Jordan and Steve for wanting to share your knowledge for better health with us.

Jordan Reasoner October 10, 2011 at 9:16 am

Thanks @Pam!

sheri October 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

My doctor put me on antibiotics ( trimethoprim ) for two months. He didn;t say to carry on keeping off wheat and dairy ( which help) and he now says that my food sensitivities are a seperate issue. He wants me to take something he tells me is a chemical resin which he says has no side effects. It binds to stop me going to the so much. ( i can go up to 9 times in the morning at the worst). What dose this resin do and how does it fit into my trying to get symptom and possible sibo free? I don’t feel I understand what he is doing and why he is asking me to try this.

Terry December 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I am 66 and had explosive bowels for years. Last February after 8 months of increasing pain in my stomach I finally went to the Dr. Three days later I was in surgery, had a bowel reconstruction and was diagnosised with Crohn’s. I am now on Azathioprine.

My syptoms are less severe than I would have expected or have heard of from others with the diesease. About the only thing I can pinpoint is diarhea if I eat raw veggies or firm meats.

One of the things that I question is the reports of weight loss because my experince is just the opposite. I had steadily gained weight over the past several years. I went on a low-carb program 6 months prior to my diagnosis and had lost 15 pounds and another 8 right after surgery. I have steadily put weight back on and now am 10 over my lowest, after surgery weight. If I am not careful I will continue to gain weightm which I do not want to do. Is this unusual?

Steven Wright December 11, 2011 at 4:53 pm

@ Terry – I’m not sure anything on this site is usual :). If your looking to stop weight gain, the first thing to check is how many calories are you eating on avg daily basis? Even small amounts over normal, done consistently will add up to big weight gain over several months.

Try to get up and walk 30 minutes a day, and track your calories for 10 days. You should notice some patterns, if your still confused report back what you find and we will help you out!

Dan December 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Thank you so much for the podcast! It was rather rewarding as a Celiac suffering from SIBO and Candida to get such a great wealth of information! I’m so very grateful for the notes as without the money for proper healthcare I rely on sources like this for continued treatment on the quest for better health!

Tracy January 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Best. Podcast. Ever.

I’ve heard of SIBO before, but never in such detail. The kicker for me was when she said the key symptom is bloating – which is my main symptom, and the one that has puzzled me for years. Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free etc etc never completely addressed the issue. I can’t thank you enough for having her on as a guest – I took copious notes!

It’s pretty obvious to me now that SIBO has been my problem, as the only times I have ever been bloat-free have been when I tried a zero-carb (so just meat and fat) way of eating, and when I tried SCD. Now I know what to do, but more importantly (for me) WHY I need to do it… back to SCD I go!

I’d be interested to hear from Dr. Siebecker (or anyone) if SIBO has an effect on weight (gain or loss). I notice that when my gut is acting up (even when I am eating ‘well’), I tend to put on weight… 5-8lbs suddenly. I wonder if it is actual weight gain, or an inflammation-related thing?

Again, thanks so much for having her on – hope she’ll return!

Carol Frilegh February 6, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Good interview, gentleman
I am doing a Low Residue menu within the SCD because of a recent flare and it seems to be helping.

Jordan Reasoner February 7, 2012 at 12:22 am

Thanks Carol – great to hear from you! Glad low residue is helping :-)

Pam February 7, 2012 at 10:36 am

I was diagnosed with SIBO about 2.5 years ago. At that time, my GI put me on a 10 day courseof Xifaxan, presumably the cadillac of antibiotics for this condition. After 6 days, I had to discontinue it because of severe side effects. Then I went on the SCD diet, which has helped the nausea and stomach pain. However, what remains to this day is my inability to eat almost any vegetables, no fruits, no dairy, no homemade yogurt, no fish. This leaves me with chicken, some cuts of beef, no pork, almond butter, some baked goods with almond flour, sometimes well-cooked carrots. Every time I try to add in a new “legal” food, I feel sick. I take daily GI Health acidophilus. After 2.5 years, don’t you think I should be able to eat a more variety of foods?

Jordan Reasoner February 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

Hi @Pam –

I’m highly suspicious that you could have a bacterial infection or parasite adding fuel to the fire.

Next time you see your new Doctor, I’d highly recommend you get tested for a parasite/bacterial infection. If you have one, you’ll have to treat it before you can make anymore progress on SCD or otherwise.

This is the only stool test we recommend because it’s so accurate. It’s a Metametrix ecology stool test. It will test for a whole range of yeasts, parasites and bacteria infections.

I hope that you stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.

I believe in you!

simondroog February 13, 2012 at 3:45 am

Thanks for having her on the show! I’m definitely going to ask my doctor for the hydrogen test :)

Leigh February 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for the informative podcast! I have chronic bloating that doesn’t go away even on a completely SCD-compliant, dairy-free, grain-free, fruit-free, starch-free, nightshade-free diet. I’m looking into SIBO as a possibility – obviously I have leaky gut. I already did the Metametrix GI Effects test, which found no pathogenic overgrowth, no parasites, & no yeasts. I did have an excess of Clostridia sporogenes (non-pathogenic).

One practitioner I consulted suggested that stool tests aren’t that great b/c they will miss overgrowth in the small intestine, detecting only large intestine overgrowth – any accuracy to this?

Dee June 26, 2012 at 11:10 am

Would you recommend this test for 12 year old that was just diagnosed and is taking prednisone, pentasa,and one other drug?

Jordan Reasoner June 26, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Yes, a SIBO breath will tell you a lot. Based on what he’s going through, I would assume it’s likely he is dealing with SIBO.

Paula July 20, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hi,

I have been reading a bit about this as I have been suffering
for years. The Naturopath told me I have candida, fibromyalgia
and chronic fatique. I have suffered from constipation for years.
I guess my question is will SCD help me, I would like to know before
I buy the book and it doesn’t work. I have been trying to follow Primal/Paleo
diet, and it does make me feel better.

Would love to hear back from you, on what you think I should do.

Angie July 24, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Wow, this was so informative. Thank you. I have a couple questions for you guys. I have been dealing with what I now think is almost definitely SIBO for about a year. My main symptoms are gas, bloating, and constipation. I occasionally experience acid reflux/heartburn. I do not consider myself a severe case necessarily, but my symptoms do bother me. I am still not sure whether I should get the test and go on antibiotics or simply start the SCD diet. I am leaving to study abroad in a month and am nervous about trying to maintain the diet while traveling, but know it is something I need to do. One thing I am especially concerned about is weight loss. I’m currently underweight and looking to gain 10-15 pounds. Will this be possible on the SCD diet? Do you have any tips for at least maintain weight? I cannot really afford to lose any weight.
Also, I did introduce digestive enzymes and HCL into my diet in the past week and had a strange experience. Despite taking several 600mg capsules, I never experienced the “burning” feeling in the stomach. But I did experience heartburn and some crampy pain. My bloating and gas also tended to get worse these past few days. Did I take too much? Not enough?
I’d appreciate any insights you have. Thanks!

Steven Wright July 25, 2012 at 10:12 am

@ Angie – You are in the right place. Yes you can gain weight on SCD, but gaining weight means you must actually absorb what you eat. So working to make sure you digestion is top notch is the start of gaining back that weight. The only major key that many people make a big mistake of is not eating enough calories. Shoot for at least 2000 as a women and even higher if your active.

You’ll probably want to read this post on Betaine HCL supplementation I did, but based on what you said, sounds like you haven’t reached your correct dosage yet and until you do you will contiune to not see much improvement. Your on the right track just keep going.

Europe has higher food standards than America so you’ll be fine over there as long as you have your digestive support supplements like HCL and maybe enzymes along with general support supplements like Vitamin D3. Of course I’m assuming you’ll eat as close to SCD as you can. If you want the super playbook on how to travel, overcome cravings and eat out on a regular basis check out our travel product -> http://scdlifestyle.com/social-life/

Fern September 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Hi;

I am not sure how this works on this site, first time. I am assuming I have SIBO, I started with it right after colon surgery around 5 yrs ago. No help from the GI Drs in this town at all, all if they decide to help you it is with just antibiotic, period. One treatment of Rifaximin helped but came back. Where is the best place to start? I am really lost at what to do. Thanks

Nathalie November 6, 2012 at 10:34 pm

Hello
Do you have any transcripts of this podcast ? There is so much info that I might need to listen to this podcast 10 times or more …
Great podcast by the way.
Thanks

Jordan Reasoner November 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Thanks Nathalie, we don’t have the podcast transcripts yet, but maybe one day we will get them processed.

Stay tuned,

Karen November 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

are there any GI doctors that treat SIBO in the Chicagoland area?

Jordan Reasoner December 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Hi Karen, our friend Dr. Siebecker, the SIBO expert, does Skype consultations: http://www.siboinfo.com/skype-consultations.html

A December 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Hi Jordan,

I keep reading that SCD will resolve SIBO but in my experience I have the most trouble with SCD-safe carbs – carrots, squash, fruits… I seem to be okay with starches such as white rice and cassava. I’ve been battling IBS, GERD, SIBO, and severe GI tract inflammation/pain/rawness for years. I used to have IBS-D before I removed gluten (tested n-ve for celiac) and went Paleo. Now I have IBS-C.
The worst part is that probiotics (especial lactic acid ones), which many say will help, make me feel much worse. I have typical d-lactic acidosis symptoms from them.. esp if I eat SCD-allowed carbs within days of taking the probiotics.
I’ve seen countless GI specialists and naturopaths. My food allergy list is every growing. I have done GAPS and felt worse than with starches. I have treated blastocystis infections with S.Boulardii and metronidazole (follow up tests were negative). I have tried healing with RepairVite, extra slippery elm, l-glutamine, broth (gives me horrible, relentless constipation), I have Magnesium glycinate… I don’t know what else to do. I can hardly socialize because food is ever-present and I cannot stomach much of anything…
Is healing possible??
How?
I cannot go low carb, my thyroid and adrenals cannot sustain me.
Can you point me in a direction that may help? I’m in Canada.
A

Jordan Reasoner December 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Treat your adrenals with a good functional medicine practitioner. You may need to do 12 months of bio-identical DHEA and Pregnenolone with adaptogenic herbs before you begin to improve your gut health.

Email us if you need more help from a private consult.

DavidD January 19, 2013 at 1:00 pm

Wanted too shoot a quick question after listening too this interview and throughout my own trial and error.
At the minute im testing pretty much everything diet related. pretty much am responding too most foods. Im handling meats ok, some meats givee a response such as stiff pains in the neck and an empty stomach feeling, but if i touch pretty much any carbohydrate i tend too get heavy fatigue, loose appetite, sometimes tho it can also make me feel even more hungry/ravenous, A real mix of symptoms with different foods. I have had symptoms of fatigue for about 6-7 years, the last year really hit home where things have took quite a dramatic turn in turms of reactions too eating food, I also get twitches + spots on the back/shoulders. I was wondering if you guys have any advice for me or in which direction im looking, From listening too the interview this seems too correlate too sibo but the symptoms are so varied im kind of at a criss cross. I am also trying too rid of parasites after visual confirmation (stools), but it seems one thing crosses with another in terms of diet, ive heard meats/fats aint great for ridding of parasites?
Many thanks guys i appreciate the time
Dave

Steven Wright January 19, 2013 at 10:57 pm

@Dave – I’d say stay with the diet modifications we have great success with SCD. Paleo is great too but the starch can be an issue for someone like you. I would encourage you to invest in some stool testing to find out exactly what pathogens are in your GI tract. Infections like parasites will not be killed by diet and depending on the type need specific protocols. If you need a guide to work through this kind of stuff we’d be more than happy to help -> http://scdlifestyle.com/consulting/

Sean January 19, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Hi Guys, I believe I have SIBO and am booked to see a gastro doc soon. So far on SCD, finished 3 days of intro and today am finishing up Phase1. I feel good aside from some die off which is subsiding. However I have not had a bowel movement in 4 days. Should I be worried? Is this dangerous? I am eating the plan foods and drinking 2l of water a day. I’m not sure what I can do that is SCD legal at this early stage. Please advise. Thanks

Steven Wright January 20, 2013 at 1:50 pm

@Sean – At 4 days you should probably be trying to speed up the bowel movement. I’d try supplementing with Magnesium Citrate or Magnesium Glycinate at 400mg before bed. Also read this -> http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/10/ibs-c-naturally-heal-constipation/

Siobhan March 5, 2013 at 10:46 am

This is such an amazing interview. I only recently discovered your site, and I’m now listening to this podcast for the third time. I’m arming myself with this invaluable information for my next appointment with my doctor. Thanks Steven, Jordan and Dr. Siebecker!!

harkin April 26, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Guys, super helpful website. I recently took a breath test that confirmed SIBO. My issue is that I have been on PPIs for several months, which were prescribed to me because of some Acid Reflux issues I was having. My doc wants me to go on antibiotics to rid myself of SIBO, but I fear it will come right back because of the PPIs. Is it possible that SIBO is causing the reflux? I want to get off the PPIs, but have struggled with Acid Rebound issues. Viscous Circle. Any advice??

Navin May 11, 2013 at 2:37 am

Thats why I got Herbal parasite syrup for cleansing and taking gaviscon at the moment, along with SCD Intro Diet. After 5 days of Intro diet and gaviscon, I’m ridding all those critters with parasite syrup, will keep you guys posted.
Triple penetration at once.

Marshal August 11, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Hi Navin, can you tell me how that parasite syrup worked out?

Beth May 17, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Did the parasite syrup help?

Carmella July 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I learned so much from this awesome interview! I’m almost certain that I have SIBO. I’ll go to the doc tomorrow and get the testing on underway.

OK, I got 2 questions:

1- I’ve heard that taking antibiotics kills all the bacteria in your gut, both good and bad. So no good bacteria is left to hold Candida in check and it proliferates like crazy during antibiotic treatment. In your opinion would it still be preferable to deal with the SIBO first and then the candida?

2- Dr. Siebecker mentions Elemental Diet as one of the treatments for SIBO. I have Elemental shakes developed by Jini Patel Thompson of ListenToYourGut.com just sitting in my cupboards. The carbs come from tapioca maltodextrin, though, which I know are SCD illegal. I was thinking of perhaps combining shakes with SCD/low FODMAPS foods. Do you think the shakes would still be effective in starving the bad bacteria in my SI or would I just be threading water by doing so?

Thanks!

Steven Wright July 11, 2013 at 9:09 am

Thanks! Regarding 1. Yes this can be a problem so use probiotics during and after treatments. Also never assume you have a candida overgrowth ALWAYS get tested. 2. Dr Siebecker uses our eBook and encourages people to create custom diets just like we teach on our site here and in our eBook so I’d suggest following that path as it’s the one used most often.

Marshal August 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Hi Steven, I haven’t yet been tested for candida (there are no naturopaths or functional medicine practicioners in my area that my insurance covers) but last night during the worst of my die-off I saw something in my stool that looked enough like candida to confirm my suspicions. While my symptoms have greatly diminished in just three days on the SCD diet, I’m worried that the surviving candida will go dormant or migrate into the bloodstream and become more difficult to detect or kill. I’m currently taking probiotic pearls but are there any other supplements or cleanses you would recommend (I wasn’t sure if Dr. Siebecker was endorsing detox cleanses or not)? I’m also wondering if the same line of treatment should be taken if I have both candida and SIBO.

Julie November 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Hey guys,

I have been using your website a lot recently after being told to try the SCD diet by Dr. Finger in Doylestown, PA. I started dealing with GI issues last Nov. while sitting in grad class. I went to the ER, they saw I had an ovarian cyst and thought that was causing the symptoms, so they removed it. From there my GI issues became out of control so I got Colonoscopy, CT Scan, endoscopy, capsule endoscopy, stool samples, 20 blood tests, and a meckel scan. I then did a hydrogren breath test that came out POSITIVE back in March. I started the SCD diet Oct. 1st of this year and just had the hydrogen breath test done again Nov. 15th 2013 and it came back negative yet I’m still having the SAME symptoms. My stomach hurt even when I was only eating chicken broth, chicken, purred carrots, and eggs. I removed the eggs and felt “a little bit better” but my pain is located in my lower right abdomen and it is ALWAYS there. It never goes away. I had 3 treatmeants of Xifaxan and once with Flagyl and none of the treatments did anything (as far as symptoms go). So I am super confused if I have SIBO or leaky gut or what the heck I have because I basically can’t eat ANYTHING without being in pain and having diarrhea. Any suggestions???

Brandon December 3, 2013 at 11:26 am

I have not done the breath test, but knew SIBO was the issue…been on SCD 100% for 3 years…and still inflammation especially when I eat too many carbs, and not doing probiotics…I dont do well with fats and have malabsorption issus…

So…I took 3-4 bottles of allicin-c garlic in heavy doses and then went into a 3 week juice fast of fresh orange and carrot and celery…symptoms gone for the first time in 3 years!!!

Then I started more sweeter fruits (bananas, dates, apples ) and it all came back…I was pretty much vegan for 3 months so I cant blame dairy or meats…

Anyone else have issues with SIBO coming back with too many sweeter fruits?

BG December 10, 2013 at 8:23 am

Fantastic!!! I have heard this one 3-4 times…its so true.

What helped me was: taking Allicin garlic pills…1400-1800mg per day in divided doses…did that for three weeks…took some heavy berberin and ginger lower bowel herbs from the best herbalist out there…

and then went into a long juice fast of fresh carrot,spinach, celery and oranges…that allowed the GI track to rest and fed me essential vitamins and minerals in the easiest way to digest…which is pretty much the elemental diet Dr. Siebecker was discussing…the SIBO could NOT feed off of the juices because they were RAW and no pulp!

They starved out and with the garlic…had no chance

Fresh squeezed fruit and veggie juice is the ultimate cure…juice fasting has been proven to cure practically every disease if given enough time…the body will heal itself…food is just an aid…and cooked food can be so bad for us…dead foods do not heal…raw living foods help to heal us.

cooking fruits and most other foods renders it useless pretty much especially meats…

so juice, juice, juice…your body can make it a long time with water and raw juices…no need to do it longer than needed.

O and use distilled water!!! make your own.

hope that helps someone out there…it has for me and many others that shared that with me.

Tanya February 11, 2014 at 11:53 am

I have been on the GAPS diet for one year along with my now 2-year-old. Neither of us can tolerate more than 6 foods and seem to be getting worse with malnutrition. We’re also getting pretty depressed with the lack of gains. We drink broth with boiled meat and liver pureed in along with a couple vegetables and fermented cabbage juice. The taste is awful. My adrenals are shot from trying to heal my son and I, but DHEA and pregnenelone cause rapid heartbeat. I have tested positive for Cryptosporidium (son is negative) and I am pretty positive I have SIBO…potentially my son as well. My son is very constipated. I tend that way but do have a daily BM. We both take tons of probiotics. Any suggestions to get us moving forward?

Heddi March 4, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Jordan: you mentioned above to treat the adrenals before you begin to improve your gut health. Would you advise to treat any hormone imbalance first? I suspect I have SIBO and intestinal impermeability (I have had Celiac disease for 15 years), that I thought caused the autoimmune reactions, that I thought led to my Cortisol, Thyroid and estrogen problems. Treat the hormones or the gut first?

Suzanne March 6, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hi Steven and Jordon
Firstly Thankyou for all your hard work.
I have Streptococcus and Clostridium Ramosum overgrowths. I have been on a Paleo diet for 3 years supplementing with high strength probiotics.
I have found no success in eradicating my fatigue, headaches, diahorrea.
I am under an allergist as i react to everything i eat but after a year of food challenges i feel this is a waste of time as i believe the fermentation process due to the bad bacteria will make me react to everything i eat, hence giving false results.
My question is can you tell me the medication that Dr. Siebecker recommended to take?
I couldn’t quite catch it in the podcast, i think it began with an R.
I feel i have struggled on long enough with the diet and although i am against anti biotics ( as they caused me all these problems) i am ready to give them a go.
I am a Coeliac, Lactose intolerant and due to bad bacteria now Fructose intolerant.
Kind Regards
Suzanne.

Suzanne March 8, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Hi
Does anyone know if there is a starter in Australia that I can use to begin making my SCD yoghurt with the permitted strains of L. bulgaricus, S. thermopiles,L. Acidophilus.
OR is there company that sells single strains of the above online?
Many Thanks
Suzanne, Melbourne, Australia.

Suzanne March 9, 2014 at 6:09 am

IVE FOUND THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION ABOVE :)