Easy SCD Yogurt – Directions for SCD legal Goat Milk Yogurt

I’ve blogged before about how important I think Specific Carbohydrate Diet Yogurt can be for healing.  The truth is when I got started with SCD yogurt the whole idea was overwhelming.  Not only did I think store bought yogurt was perfectly fine (it’s not); I had never made any fermented foods (should be easy right?).  A couple of burnt pots of milk, a batch of lumpy yogurt and I was up and running.

As time went on I picked up some time saving pieces of the puzzle from readers of the blog and other places.  So when we updated our book a couple months back I created directions below based on these new ideas.  Now before I go any further just a word of caution, Jordan and I do not recommend trying diary until you’ve been on the SCD diet at least 30 days (It’s one of the 4 horseman!).

Goat’s Milk Yogurt for Everyone

Moving on, in the directions below I’m using goat’s milk because time after time we get emails from people who struggle with cow’s milk.  In our opinion there aren’t any downsides to starting with goat’s milk.  As a matter of fact there might be ton of benefits!

If you tolerate the goat’s milk just fine and are curious then try some cow’s milk.  Trust me when I say that stepping into cow’s milk like this is a much nicer transition than pouring your heart, soul and wallet into a first batch of cow’s milk SCD yogurt only to get sick and possibly have a setback.  The SCD yogurt experience is one of trial and error for most and trying to figure out if you made it wrong, are reacting to the milk, or are just not seeing healing from the diet can be extremely frustrating.  So save yourself the trouble use goat’s milk and to be completely cow milk free you will need to use GI Pro Health’s dairy-free yogurt starter.

Lastly, I’m using a Yogourmet yogurt maker.  It’s not completely ideal for making SCD yogurt, as you can see in step 6, I use a dimmer switch to adjust the temperature down to the ideal range of 100 to 110 degrees.  But I chose it for easy of clean-up, large batch size (2quarts), low price and water bath for equal heating of the milk.

Enjoy and remember at around 700 Billion+ CFU’s of probioitcs per cup this stuff can work wonders!

Goat’s Milk SCD Yogurt

1. Pour 2 quarts of milk into a 2.5 quart glass bowl.  Place the bowl in the microwave and heat on high for 10 to 15 minutes until the milk reaches 180° F.  Everyone’s microwave is different and it may take a couple of batches to figure out your specific time, but mine is 14 minutes.  The first time you try this it is a good idea to heat it for 10 minutes and check the temperature, then continue heating in 1 minute intervals until you reach 180° F (Note: You do not need to start over if you accidentally heat the milk too hot.
  2. Remove the bowl from the microwave and allow it to cool covered (don’t want any extra microbes getting in there), but be careful as the bowl will be very hot.  Stir it occasionally and check the temperature.  Once it has reached about 100° F, it is ready to go.  It usually takes around 1 to 1 ½  hours to cool, this can be sped up by putting it in the refrigerator.
  3. Once the milk has cooled, a separated layer of milk will have formed at the top of the bowl.  This layer will make your yogurt lumpy, so remove it by pouring the milk from the bowl through a fine mesh strainer and into the Yogourmet container.  Discard any clumps that are caught in the strainer.
  4. Add 1/8 teaspoon of the GI ProStarter for every 2 quarts.  Whisk the milk very well so that everything is dissolved.
  5. In my case, I add 2 cups of room temperature water to my Yogourmet Yogurt Maker (2 quart capacity) before I put the batch container in the unit.  This allows the container to float in water and evenly distribute the heat.
  6. Plug in your yogurt maker in an out-of-the-way area of your house where the temperature will not change during the fermentation (for instance, not next to the stove where you will be cooking).
  7. Ferment for at least 24 hours and no more than 28 hours.
  8. Unplug the yogurt maker and carefully place the yogurt batch container in the refrigerator for 8 hours.  The yogurt has live cultures that are very sensitive to movement until everything is set up.  Once it has set up for 8 hours, stir gently and serve cold.  It will stay fresh for up to 3 weeks, however the good bacteria will start dying after the second week.

Do you make SCD yogurt?  If so what kind of yogurt maker do you use and what kind of milk?

P.S. –  There are many different elements to successfully taking control of your health on the SCD Diet.  Mastering yogurt is ONE piece and we’ve created an eBook to help you learn ALL of them… built from our own success and helping others heal.  You can find out how it can help you here:  http://www.scdlifestylebook.com

Vicky August 17, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I have a post on my blog showing how I make SCD Yogurt.

I use either organic milk or UHT milk! This is an excellent post! It’s great to see how other people make their SCD yogurt!

Steven Wright August 18, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Thanks for posting the link Vicky you created a great resource as well!

Sherry August 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm

I tried to make goat’s milk yogurt a couple months ago and it did not turn out. It just stayed liquid. I also use the Yogourmet maker. I boiled the milk on the stove. I used goat’s milk yogurt as a stater. Maybe that was a problem? I was really disappointed because I wanted to try it and the goat’s milk was really expensive.

I have seen many blog posts about the yogourmet temperature. I bought mine from Lucy’s Kitchen Shop ten years ago. She told me when I bough it that Elaine Gottschall said the yogurt from those makers was fine. Not saying people shouldn’t use the dimmer switches. Just passing along some info I got a long time ago. I have been making the yogurt for ten years with no problems.

Steven Wright August 18, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hey Sherry – I’ve had a few batches of goat’s milk yogurt not work out well, one thing that defiantly seems to create a more watery batch is if you ferment longer than 24-25hrs. Also mine has never worked out when trying other starters. So my guess is that was your problem. For goat’s milk I always use the GI Pro Health starter. For cow’s milk there are lot’s of options that all seem to work great.

My Yogourmet has never gotten above 125, but a few occasions I checked it after about 12-14hrs and it was reading that high so I decided to use a dimmer.

Rebecca August 17, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Questions:

The batch of goat yogurt I made was completely liquid. Is it supposed to be? Any suggestions to make a thicker yogurt? I don’t want to have to drip it…but with this batch there were no solids to drip.

When I add the GI Prohealth powder, it clumps in the milk. How do you get it to dissolve when the milk is cooled?

Any idea where to get a yogurt thermometer with LARGER easier to read temp settings? The one that came with the Yogourmet is really tiny.

I wish someone would make a yogurt maker that is temp controlled for SCD yogurt! Now I need to check the temp and figure out where to set the dimmer.

Rebecca

Steven Wright August 18, 2011 at 7:27 pm

@ Rebecca – Hey, if it was all watery with no solids something defiantly went wrong. I’ve had a few batches turn out like that, I noticed that if I let it ferment past 25hrs it seemed to get more watery. As a general rule, goat’s milk yogurt is thinner than cow’s milk in my experiences. Dripping is actually really easy, I hated the thought of it until I did it once.

For the GI Pro starter clumping I just use a balloon whisk and go to town for about 30 seconds after adding it. I just add it right to the bigger container now to save dishes.

As far as a different thermometer, you could probably just pick up any candy or baking one to get the job done as long as it reads up to 200 degrees. If you find one you like make sure you post a link her and let us know, because like you there have been a few times when I wished that thing had bigger numbers!

Rebecca August 18, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Also, more questions!

The pecanbread site says to use 1/8 tsp of the Prostarter PER quart. So for 2 quarts it would be 1/4 tsp. Your directions say 1/8 tsp for 2 quarts.

And pecanbread also says to cool to 20° C which is well below 100° F.

It is confusing when you are working with expensive ingredients, time consuming recipe, and are told the bacteria are fragile and easily killed…you want to get the “magic yogurt” right!

Rebecca

Steven Wright August 18, 2011 at 7:35 pm

@ Rebecca – My bottle of GI Pro starter says 1/8th teaspoon per 2 quarts, and I’ve verified this with Pam and Joe over at GI. So I think Pecanbread just has a typo.

As for the temperature they made a mistake as well, even Elaine says cool down to 108-112. See here: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/kb/yoghurt_scd.htm

I just say 100 because its easy for people to remember.

I know it can be a bit confusing at first, but it’s worth it in the end! This is also one of the vary reasons Jordan and I adovcate the use of Probiotics right away, because sometimes it can take weeks for people to learn to make SCD yogurt properly.

Steven Dressler August 19, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for the tips, especially about the cooling in the fridge, and the differences with the directions on the other site, which I had been using. One other concern is I’ve read not to bring goat milk over 165, cows milk ok. Not sure of the validity. Here’s another question maybe someone knows the answer to. I just moved into a new apartment and the fridge temperature is giving me problems. I have to keep the control really high to keep the temperature under 41 degrees, and last night everything in the fridge got partially frozen. I’m aware that this will supposedly kill the probiotics in my scd yogurt, but did it also kill my scdophilus pills and gi pro start? Steven

Steven Dressler August 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

My mistake, goat milk is ok to 185. Maybe my last batch wasn’t pasteurized right anyway.

Steven Wright August 19, 2011 at 3:22 pm

@ Steven – Goat’s milk is much more delicate than cows, but you do still want to heat it up to 180. Not much past it as it burns very fast.

I did make an edit to the post that you should cool the milk covered as to avoid any contaminates falling into it.

As far as freezing SCD yogurt, from what I understand most if not all of the bacteria will die. It still is good to eat but just lacks that benefit. On the Pills and starter cultures, I’m not sure, I would send Joe over at GI Pro Health an email on it. Are you sure they got frozen solid?

Steven Dressler August 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm

The yogurt was half frozen, the top half was pretty thick and icey like frozen yogurt but not rock solid. I emailed Joe and will update here to let people know.

Samara August 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Hey folks, i’m busting to try some of this yoghurt making soon, though i have a small problem, I can’t seem to find a source of electric yoghurt makers in NZ, let alone dimmer switches that are portable ie. not already hard wired into a light.

Any ideas greatly appreciated from anyone, maybe someone else not in the states where everything SCD is so readily available, another way of doing it, though still reliable. I have heard of a lamp in a polystyrene box, or oven light etc, all seem a bit hard and could be costly experimenting to get it SCD safe!

Ray April 4, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Hi Samara
I bought a yogurt maker with a 24hr timer from GAPS. I use goats milk – works well. Please see Australian website below.
Regards

Steven Dressler August 31, 2011 at 11:13 am

Joe thinks it will be ok for pills to be frozen once, but not on and off, he would be concerned about condensation. The starter is ok to freeze, actually says so on the website.

Odddlycrunchy September 22, 2011 at 10:52 pm

@Samara: I use a crockpot and a dimmer switch plug. It took a few tries to get the exact setting on the dimmer switch (using just water until I got it right). I marked the dimmer switch with a permanent marker. I set a glass mason jar inside the crockpot, sitting on a potholder to even out the temperature. Filled it with one quart of 108 F water, checked every couple of hours until I got it to stay at 108. BTW, 100 is not 108 and it makes a difference! Now I just fill the same mason jar with the milk and culture at 108 F (after boiling, cooling, mixing in the culture), set it in the pre-warmed crockpot on top of a potholder, and simply leave it alone until the same time the next day.

xania August 15, 2012 at 12:31 am

Hi – are you saying the crockpot method works at 108F – do you follow the recipe as written – then put it in the crock? If so, that’s great news! I have a But… I’ve ordered the yogurmet and it’s on it’s way… lol…

Steven Wright August 15, 2012 at 2:01 pm

@xania – I’ve never used a crockpot to make yogurt and cannot speak to the possibilities. The post was written for use with the Yogurmet.

Paula October 26, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Oh my! One and a half hours is too long to let the milk sit at room temperature. Many bad bacteria will enjoy growing in that time period. Additionally, it’s a bad idea to put that big bowl of hot milk in the refrigerator because it will really warm the whole fridge up (check it with a thermometer), and that’s very bad for all the rest of the food in there.

I have been making yogurt twice a week for six years and here’s what I do. I heat the milk as you do, in the microwave, but I fill the sink with cold water and about six icecube trays’ worth of ice. Submerge the bowl in the water. It takes about 15 MINUTES to cool down to 110 degrees this way! If you make the yogurt with the GI ProStarter (I believe that starter is supposed to begin incubation at 75 or 80 degrees – I use that one too), it takes about 35 minutes to cool down to 75 degrees or so.

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm

@ Paula,

Thanks for your tips from experience!

Alessandra October 27, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Samara

You can buy a great yoghurt maker that ferments for 24hours from gaps australia http://www.gapsaustralia.com.au

Andrea December 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Has anyone been able to figure out the nutritional value to scd legal yogurt? I make mine with 2quarts 2% organic milk with Dannon’s yogurt as a starter…warmed for 24-28hrs at 100-110 degrees. If anyone knows the calorie, fat, protein content of 1 cup serving, I would be so appreciative. :-)
Thank you!

Donna Davis February 21, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I have some questions – and some answers. I have tried various yogurt starter powders over the past few years, as well as every kind of commercially produced organic cow and goat yogurt I could find to use as starters. I have a favorite among the latter category. It has the same three active cultures as the GI Pro Starter – PLUS L. Acidophilus Bifidus. Will this be a problem for the SCD diet?

My second question is regarding that 180 degrees. I know that yogurt recipes normally call for heating to 180 degrees, and having asked one cookbook author about it, learned that something happens to the character of the milk at that temperature that helps make yogurt thicker. That said, if pasteurization is the only concern, that could be accomplished by heating raw milk to 145 degrees for 30 minutes or 161 degrees for 15 seconds. Is there a reason that would not work? And what about raw milk, with all it’s healthful enzymes intact? Would that be good – or bad – for someone who needs the SCD diet?

I think the goat milk I bought at the store was “ultra-pasteurized” which gives it a very long shelf life (until it is opened). But the high heat has also totally destroyed the enzymes, and even damaged the protein structure. Maybe that is why it is so difficult to make good yogurt from it? (I know that ultrapasteurized milk is the bane of cheese makers. )

I am very fortunate to have an oven that you can set for 110 degrees, and have tested it by monitoring a thermometer in a glass of water to make sure the temperature range does not fluctuate very much. It normally stays at about 104 – 108 degrees. I like to make yogurt a gallon at a time and after the starter has been added, pour it into sterile jelly jars. I am particularly fond of Quattro Stagioni lids, since they are one piece, not two, and have a very nice coating. If the coating gets dinged, I throw the lid away and use a new one.

Since I am a yogurt junkie, and was not willing to do without it during a 3 month stay in a hotel, I found that I could jam the door of the microwave in my room so that the light stayed on, but the door stayed shut, and make yogurt in the lidded coffee cups I picked up in the lobby ;-)

The reason I can make a gallon at a time is that I have my own milk goat. That is how I know that it is true that goat’s milk generally does not set up nearly as firmly as cows milk. I have so far had a grand total of two milk goats, and the yogurt made from each of their milks was quite a different texture. The yogurt from the second goat that was made from milk soon after she “freshened” was a thick as cows milk, but later in the lactation, the yogurt became much thinner. In the spring, it thickened up a bit. I have since learned that the character of milk does definitely change over the period of lactation as well as seasonally, and that spring milk is by far the best for yogurt and cheese, as well as being much more nutritious than it is at other seasons.

Regarding thickening the yogurt: not being on the SCD diet, I had tried adding nonfat dry milk powder and/or gelatin, which is recommended in my goatie “cook books” but was not happy with either of them, or the agar agar that I tried out for a batch. I finally decided to just enjoy my yogurt in it’s seasonally thin form, and not worry about the thickeners.

Cathi February 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm

What about Coconut Yoguart for those who have Casein Sensitivites like myself. Are there any receipes for making Coconut Yoguart?

Steven Wright February 29, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hey Cathi – very common problem, try Sauerkraut instead http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/02/how-to-make-sauerkraut-the-fast-and-easy-way/

Marta March 10, 2012 at 11:55 am

From the scd website:

3. Is goat’s milk allowed as the milk for yogurt? Goat cheese? Sheep’s
milk cheese? For example: romano, an allowable cheese, isn’t always cow’s
milk.

Elaine’s Reply: [All these are allowed if] it is cultered with bacteria. [You] can’t make
yogurt out of pasteurized goat milk – it doesn’t work.

So apparently pasteurized goat milk won’t work – and indeed I just made a 2L watery batch. I think I will attempt to strain it, but not quite sure if it gets ride of the good bacteria, or just the galactose and lactic acid.

Steven Wright March 13, 2012 at 5:47 pm

@ Marta – Interesting quote from Elaine thanks for posting.

I have to say I completely disagree based on doing it. The only goat’s milk I have access to is pasteurized and I was able to make it from several brands. I have no clue what biochemistry basis she would say that. The Goat’s milk SCD yogurt I made was always a bit watery on the top but it was totally yogurt and tasted pretty close to cow’s milk.

Dripping the yogurt doesn’t get rid of much of bacteria don’t worry about that.

Adina April 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I make raw and pasteurized goat and cows milk and sour cream using yogurt culture. I once did an experiment and did them all at the same time. The pasteurized cows milk was the most like store bought yogurt the raw cow milk was a bit thinner, the pasteurized goat was a bit thinner still and the raw goat (my favorite reminds me of my childhood) was still rather fluid but definitely cultured. I use the last one to make smoothies. I used to make yogurt on a heat pad which worked with pasteurized cow’s milk but turned all raw milk into cheese which my (sister said the cheese was very good). Now I use my dehydrator and I have not had a failed batch yet. The cultured cream is very yummy!

Alba Vaz April 23, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I’ve been making raw cow’s milk yogurt (in mason jars) in my electric oven or years with no trouble. I prefer not to pasteurize raw milk, therefore I do not heat milk to the temperature stated in this blog. I’ll be experimenting with goats milk and report back.

blackbass May 15, 2012 at 9:06 am

i tried a batch of goats milk…and it has some solid like texture…but most is watery…i did everything right….dont know why this happened…its more like kefir…i had a few tablespoons anyways…is that bad? should i start over or just drink it like kefir? same benefits? i hate to throw away 10$

i heated it to 180, let it cool to 100, added 1/8 teaspoon GI starter, let ferment for 24.5-25 hours at approx. 102 degrees….let it cool in refridge for 8-9 hours…and mush…very frustrating..any advice anyone?

Steven Wright May 15, 2012 at 10:30 am

@ Blackbass – You should be fine to still consume it. Obviously start slow and make sure your body agrees with it. In general goat’s milk will be softer and more watery than cow’s so don’t compare the two. However you might see more success if you get your temp during fermentation up around 110 degrees.

blackbass May 15, 2012 at 11:19 am

Thanks Stevo….I was curious about that..in the past I had been making my cows yoguart too hot…so I bought a dimmer to keep things around 100-105 degrees…but I can adjust it some to allow more heat. From your knowledge would the bacteria be harmed if it goes past 110?

Steven Wright May 16, 2012 at 2:04 pm

@ Blackbass – At some point yes they become harmed, but I’m not a complete fermentation expert… from what I read I wouldn’t worry about the temp until it gets above 115. My guess is its a gradual curve, so your noting going to trigger a complete loss of the bacteria, just lose some as the temp rises. Make sense? Maybe someone else reading this can chime in.

blackbass May 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Thanks Steven…hopefully the next batch will be the one we are looking for.

blackbass July 24, 2012 at 10:35 am

do you use pasteurized or ultra-pasteurized goats milk? does it matter

Steven Wright July 24, 2012 at 2:44 pm

@Blackbass – I’ve used both kinds, I believe the difference is the temperature at which the milk is heated. From a health standpoint less is better because heat can break down the protein structures. So raw goat’s milk would be best followed by pasteurized then ultra.

janice torelli August 28, 2012 at 12:22 am

I just made my first batch of yogurt and realized i only used half the starter Will it have any live organisms? Also husband stirred it for a minute before it totally set.. is it even worth eating or should I start again??

Jordan Reasoner August 31, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Hi Janice, from what I understand it should have some organisms in it, I wouldn’t throw it away :-)

Margaret Pellegrini January 3, 2013 at 12:58 am

I heat lactose-free fat-free milk in a pot on the stove until the temperature is 110 or so. I pour it into a plastic container into which I have put 1 cup of nonfat dry milk and 2 drops of lactase enzyme (to ensure lactose-free yogurt). I put this into a small cooler and heat a big canning jar of water in the microwave, then cap it and put it in the cooler with the milk. When the temperature of the milk is down to 110, I add about 1/2 cup starter, usually Dannon plain yogurt, and mix. I leave a thermometer in the cooler and check it periodically, then reheat the water as needed to maintain a temperature of 90 or more.

Nadia January 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hi
I am helping my husband starting the SCD. I just bought an electric yogurt maker from Lakeland and its instructions say to use 200ml of milk and 2tsp of any commercial yogurt and leave it for 8 hours. But as mentioned in the SCD, we must leave it 24hours. Please can anyone advise me what shall I do?
Nadia from UK

Margaret Pellegrini January 27, 2013 at 8:45 pm

The point of incubating for 24 hours is to ensure that all of the lactose is broken down. I start with lactose-free milk but if you start with regular milk, I would recommend running it for at least 16 unless you know that he isn’t severely lactose intolerant.

Sara February 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Hi,

I incubated it in the oven at the correct temp for 7 hours. Then i moved it to a warm place with towels wrapped round it. Is this ok? You say not to move it… but i dont have a Yogurt maker and I cant leave it in the oven for 24 hours because people want to use it. I dont know if I just wrapped it and left it one a warnish place for 24 hours… would be warm enough- since its not incubated at the correct temp?

I used whole cows milk pasterised, and i got some gurgling in my stomach after eating it- do you think there was still Lactose in it?

Ahh help!

Thanks!

Vicki March 22, 2013 at 11:22 am

Thanks guys!
Love your advice and that of all your readers.

I don’t have an issue but both my spouse and 15yo son have Crohn’s. My spouse has learned well how to live with his, mainly through ignoring it and not being stressed which has the doctors amazed as it’s an unheard of method, but our son is new on this journey so I’ve been trying to learn all I can about proper nutrition for him so he can grow and have a great life.

All of us are now on the SCD plan as it’s just easier keeping the kitchen SCD friendly. My first attempts at crock-pot yogurt and oven yogurt were disasters so I bought the Euro Cuisine Automatic Yogurt maker ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KZM4Y4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I love it! We are now making a fresh batch almost every night as three of us are eating it.

Tonight I’m going to trying your sauerkraut recipe and see how that goes.

My son is still having some issues, but he feels they would possibly be worse had we not have switched to the SCD Plan. Here’s hoping this helps him to live a healthy life!

Thanks again for providing this wealth of information!
Vicki

Greg January 27, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Hi Vicki,

I have SIBO and have been on the SCD diet for ~3 months. I am planning to try to make homemade SCD yogurt for the first time. This weekend I bought the same Euro Cuisine yogurt maker model that you reference above – but the timer only goes up to 15 hours. Have you found that 15 hours with the Euro Cuisine is sufficient, or do you re-extend the timer for another 9 hours after the 15-hour timer ends (to ensure a total cook-time of 24 hours)?

-Greg

Sarah May 17, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Hello Steve,
I really want to try making the goats milk yogurt since using half and half last time didn’t seem to work for me. But when I went to GI Pro to order, the shipping was $40, that is more than the starter?? I think maybe it is because I am on the East Coast. Is there another company out this way that you know of that has a similar product so that shipping isn’t actually more than the product? Please help me find a starter.

Thanks, Sarah

Meri September 27, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Im not sue how you ordered but Im in NY and here is my cost:

GI ProStart

PS 1 $34.95 $34.95
Subtotal: $34.95
Shipping: $10.99
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $45.94

Claudia October 29, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I have a son with gut issues. Scd yogurt helps tremendously, but I could’t keep up with my 6 cup yogurt maker. I was on a mission to find a machine that would make yogurt by the gallons so I could have some too. I found it! The Brod & Taylor Folding Proofer http://brodandtaylor.com. I was very skeptical it is a folding machine and it was pricy, but I was so desperate I had to try it. I love love love it! It makes up to two gallons you use your own mason jars, it does not have a timer it runs however long you want it to run, and the best part you set the temperature!
I make goat milk yogurt and it is runny when I just take it out of the yogurt maker but after a day in the fridge and straining in a Greek Yogurt maker http://www.culturesforhealth.com/greek-yogurt-maker.html for a few hrs. it is perfect.

Lieve Bain January 19, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Which is a good yoghurt starter when you have SIBO? What probiotics are good for SIBO and which are not good?

Thanks!

Diana April 20, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Hello,
Thanks for this post, so much great info. I’m planning on making goat yogurt for the first time as soon as my yogurt maker arrives, but have a couple of questions. Can I use a store store bought yogurt as the starter for goat yogurt? Or does that just work with cows milk? Or possibly goat yogurt as a culture starter?
Also, have you ever tried making nut milk yogurt with a store bought yogurt cultures starter or a freeze dried culture starter? If so, any advise on trying to make almond yogurt?

Thanks! Any advise is much appreciate.
Diana

Mike August 13, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Steve,
I want to pursue the question from Donna about using raw milk instead of pasteurized. Raw milk has the enzymes and is live. Why do you not use it in your recipe in the book?
Thanks
Mike

Lori Jo Berg August 14, 2014 at 7:28 pm

HI Mike, thank you for reaching out! Raw milk is illegal in some places and hard to access in others. We do suggest using raw milk if you have access and do not react to it.

Simone August 18, 2014 at 4:58 pm

You are kidding about the microwave, right? I read a study recently that showed how almost ALL nutrients and bacteria are altered and/or destroyed when using a microwave. Can’t seem to find the article though.

I also have another question. I hate goat cheese and milk and am pretty sure goat yoghurt is not something I will enjoy (last time I ate goat cheese I actually threw up from the taste). I do have access to milk from pasture raised water buffalo. Would you recommend using this instead of cow’s milk?

Thanks for all the info!

Brent Kovacs August 18, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Hi Simone, you could certainly try the water buffalo milk. Let us know how it goes =)

Keely September 5, 2014 at 7:47 am

I made yogurt for the first time and it is super runny. I didn’t go over 24 hours, so I am not sure what I did wrong. I didn’t use GI Prostart, so could that be the reason?

Also, do I have to toss out the batch? It is runny, almost like a kefir, but I would assume it is edible. Thoughts?

Jordan Reasoner September 5, 2014 at 9:13 am

Hi Keely, thank you for reaching out! Go ahead and consume a small amount to see how it tastes and to see how you react. It is hard to say the exact reason, but it could be due to inadequate temperature while fermenting or the starter you used.

Keely September 5, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Thank you for responding. It tasted tart- but not like it was bad. I know my temperature was always around 100 when I checked. Could it not have gotten hot enough? I was afraid of it getting too hot.

I am getting the GI Protect starter and will try again. Just wanted to see if I didn’t have to waste the money on a batch that didn’t turn out.

alisa September 8, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I was given some kefir grains by a friend. She said I can make it out of regular milk. I am using organic full fat whole milk. Is this bad? It doesn’t taste like regular yogurt, more like a sour kefir. I thought it was healthy though… Am I wrong?? I pour the grains into a glass jar, fill with milk and let it sit on the counter for 24 hrs. strain the grains and start another batch..

Lori Jo Berg September 9, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hi Alisa, thank you for reaching out! Kefir can be a great source of healthy bacteria for those that can tolerate it. We recommend letting your gut heal a bit before introducing this product. If you feel you are in a good place to introduce it, go ahead and do so and monitor any reactions. Whole cows milk is not a “bad” food, it is more so that some can not tolerate it.