Digestive Disease Upon Second Glance

Have you seen those crazy pictures that totally trick your eye?

One minute it’s an old woman…

Then, you focus a little harder and suddenly a young woman appears before your eyes.

Many judgments turn out to be wrong upon closer inspection.

I think digestive diseases may be another example of judging the book by the cover.

Jordan and I have talked with 1000’s of people suffering from digestive disease in the last couple years. The majority are suffering from Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s, but a rising number of IBS, Celiac, Diverticulitis, Candida, fructose problems, undiagnosed stomach pains and many more are reaching out to us.

We often reflect and brainstorm on the conversations hoping to figure out a universal solution to all digestive related problems.

Pie-in-the-Sky Right?

Maybe not, everyone seems so focused on individualism and reductionism treatments, causality and symptoms. We often wonder, what about the bigger picture?

As humans we always seem so focused on finding differences. I think it starts as children for most people, our parents tell us we are all special snow flakes from day one.

But what they don’t tell us is that 98% of our genomes are the same.

So, while no one is a 100% match, we are all pretty much rocking the same genes.

Don’t get me wrong, we preach plenty of individualism and stress the importance that your N=1 solution is always going to be different than mine.

But at the same time we have a running list, at a higher level, say 30,000 feet.

What Ties All Digestive Diseases Together?

Or stomach problems of any kind for that matter…

#1 Inflammation

#2 Gut Bacteria Dysbiosis

#3 Malnutrition

#4 Malasboprtion

#5 Leaky Gut

#6 Immune Dis-regulation

This is just a start, and of course all based on our anecdotal experiences and research.

But what if the Solution is 50%… or dare I suggest 80% the same for all of us?

How would that revolutionize health care?

Wouldn’t it be crazy to know that 80% of getting your health back was STANDARDIZED?

Let me know what you think! In fact, as our readers what are your thoughts? Can you help us refine and develop this idea?  Leave a comment below with your thoughts or experiences.

Libby Doubler August 12, 2011 at 6:43 pm

First off, I am currently a student at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition studying holistic health. I wouldn’t be there now unless you guys had come my way. I was sick and didn’t know why. Blood tests always came back fine. I went on the SCD diet and am now blessed with good poops (:-D) and a clear mind. So onward to learning more about diet and health and helping spread the word. Now it’s only fresh and organic. Oh, and I can start taking clients in November. You guys *rock*!!

Steven Wright August 14, 2011 at 11:26 am

Hi Libby! Thanks for the support, we are happy to have helped and even more excited that your about to start helping others! Stay in touch.

Doug Fuller August 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm

1. Inflammation is the result of other factors.
2. Significant factor, probably due to poor diet, antibiotics and other environmental factors.
3. Yes, if you don’t eat a good diet.
4. Could lead to 3 and is due to 2.
5. Result of 2 and 3
6. Result of 2 and 3.

Steven Wright August 14, 2011 at 11:30 am

Hey Doug thanks for your thoughts, we often debate the “chicken or the egg” of each of these. Do you have anything else to add to the list?

The interesting thing about #3 is that you could eat the best diet in the world, but if other factors are off (pathogens, toxins, high inflammation, gut injuries) you can still end up malnourished.

Gutsy Girl November 11, 2011 at 12:15 am

Steve,
I so hear ya in the comment above. I’ve been GF for a few years, had MAJOR gut problems all my life (27 now; IBS, Celiac, SIBO, PFD, Visceral Hypersensitivity, Yadda-Yadda), and I can honestly say my diet has become one of the healthiest diets of anyone I know (which is a total miracle given I was eating a SAD before going GF in 2009, and also a testimony to how sick I’ve been!). I’m dealing with intense gut pain now and a massive case of killer SIBO and motility issues (in the C category – methane producing bacteria slows you down, hydrogen producing bacteria speeds you up). So I’m starting SCD as soon as I can wrap my brain around it. Read BTVC last week. It has just amazed me how most people, if they ate my diet, would be incredibly healthy (I think)…but yet I’m malnourished big time, nauseous to the max, and not wanting to look at another bite of puree food for the rest of my life.

I think there’s hope around the corner, however, so I’m almost kinda maybe possibly excited. 😉

Gutsy Girl

Tamara September 19, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I have been thinking along these same lines for a year now. I have taken notes, listened to podcasts, read the research, listened to my friend with their tummy troubles. I feel I am on the verge of being able to type up some basic, standardized advice for all of them to begin to heal. I have no actual degrees in nutrition (mine are in Journalism) but I have my story of getting better…..I think telling people DETAILED information in baby steps for them will be the best. Thanks for all the work you guys do!

Robyn December 10, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Honestly, I think it is like diagnosing Autism these days. My son was diagnosed with severe autism and it turned out that he didn’t have it at all. He had Apraxia. The symptoms seemed the same but not really, kids who have Autism can have Apraxia and frequently do while kids who have Apraxia, do not necessarily have autism. When I forced them to focus on the Apraxia, he got better. Now he does everything they told me he would NEVER do. He was not disconnected, he was disengaged because he could not communicate. This unfortunately is not a one size fits all world. We are all individuals, like it or not. Not only do we suffer from the physical ailment but we suffer from our attitude, from the attitude of those around us, environment and diet (ethnic etc……) and finances…. I personally want to go see a Doctor and discuss what treatment is better for me and have the option of changing course if the current treatment isn’t working, not just be herded through a medical system and told that it is my fault if a treatment isn’t working and as well intended as your idea is, this is not a one size fits all world.

Allison August 15, 2013 at 1:48 am

Hi Robyn,

I don’t believe that they are saying there is a “one size fits all”….

What they wrote is “But what if the Solution is 50%… or dare I suggest 80% the same for all of us?”

The commonalities are important and the remainder is individual.

Allison August 15, 2013 at 1:51 am

Good post – I have been pondering lately that we tend to look at other species as homogenous in their health needs, but when it comes to humans, I think we take individualisation too far. We really are one species. But, as opposed to other species, we have higher thinking and emotional capacity, and those aspects are very different in everyone and are a factor in our health. So, I do agree with this statement which I think summed up your article nicely: “But what if the Solution is 50%… or dare I suggest 80% the same for all of us?”

jual vege cream asli April 7, 2015 at 9:15 am

Great article. I’m experiencing a few of these issues as well..