The SCD Lifestyle Podcast 19: Learn to Conquer SCD Like a Mad Scientist

What is it about mad scientists that makes them so captivating?

Unrelenting, explosive brain power.

They live on the edge of crazy, so we don’t have to. And every once in a while they learn things that help all of us.

In today’s SCD mailbag, we answer more of your questions and share what we’ve learned experimenting like mad scientists.

On This Podcast We Cover:

0:35 How to properly introduce probiotics, without getting nervous you made the wrong move

7:40 3 SCD tactics you can try WHILE consuming alcohol to avoid the morning-after payback

13:18 Why SCD works on system-wide inflammation to fully restore your freedom

14:48 The specific foods most people try that actually irritates the gut… and often triggers painful setbacks

17:40 7 ways to talk about “perfect poops” that show you exactly how well you’re healing

20:17 How to tell if the diet will work for you, even if your disease isn’t in the small intestine like everyone else

21:41 3 things to check with elevated liver enzymes that lets you know you’re not “destroying your liver,” and continue healing on SCD

24:15 The crucial mistake most people make when trying to introduce nuts that all but guarantees they end up in an “SCD Setback”

26:23 When the “med-free approach” isn’t a good idea and how to tell the difference

28:50 How to use your body signals to know exactly when to reintroduce alcohol and feel totally comfortable in social situations

Play

For even more help hacking SCD, our 40-page bonus guide saves you time, money, and frustration with “25-ways to hack the SCD Lifestyle.” Click here to learn more:

Links From the Podcast:

Genova Diagnostics stool test: CDSA

Bristol Stool Chart post: The SCD Diet and Poop: It’s Time to Talk About It

Robb Wolf fish oil calculator: How much fish oil do I need?

SCD and alcohol: The 3-part Alcohol Series

The famous four horseman: Avoid these four triggers

Want your questions answered on the next podcast?

Submit your question here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7DZJJTT

– If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here.

– Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

Paula Knighton April 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Thanks Jordan and Steve, I always end up listening late to your podcasts but I just love them. You all are so upbeat and cheerful and at the same time willing to talk about anything! That just listening to you is a healing experience.

Steven Wright April 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

@ Paula – Thanks so much for your kind words! Make sure you submit a question if you have one no matter when you listen to them. Also please rate the show in Itunes if you haven’t already!

Tabitha April 16, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I have had CD since I was 2, I am now 30 years old. I have had a pretty mild case my whole life. My inflammation exists only in the large intestine. I started SCD 2 1/2 weeks ago while coming off Entorcort. I still take 6MP everyday, don’t think it’s really making a difference though. I couldn’t tolerate the yogurt at first now I am mixing it with a banana and some almond butter and it seems to be going ok. At the beginning of the diet my stools were great fours and fives! Now they are back to a six. I feel fine most of the day sometimes mild cramping, but the issue I’ve had even before the diet were loose stools in the morning. It seems as soon as I wake up I get the urge to go. I am fine the rest of the day. I am wondering if you think I should take some kind of supplement before bed, maybe an herbal antiinflammatory? I currently take Calcium and 4000 IU Vitamin D, both FREEDA.
THANK YOU!
Also any tips on gaining weight?

Steven Wright April 22, 2011 at 1:39 pm

@ Tabitha – If your stools were better before the yogurt, then stop for a week and see if they get better. As for weight, we specifically address this in our ebook as well our 2 free guides. I think they would really help. But until then check out these 2 posts:

FarNorthGirl April 16, 2011 at 8:13 pm

For the person with elevated liver enzymes:
Undiagnosed hemochromatosis, an iron overload disorder which causes people to absorb and store too much iron, can cause elevated liver enzymes. Ask your doctor to do an iron panel. This is NOT part of a so-called “complete” blood test. Many doctors mistakenly believe Hemochromatosis is a rare disease or one only seen in older alcoholics. See:http://www.hemochromatosis.org/IronTests.pdf

Sometimes called the “Celtic Curse” or “Irish Disease,” hemochromatosis is especially common in Irish Americans. However, those without Irish ancestry may also have it. It is the most common genetic disease in the US and most people do NOT know they have it. There may be as many as 32 MILLION silent carriers in the US.

Jordan and Steven: Please consider doing a podcast and/or post on Hemochromatosis. It might help many people who have undiagnosed hemochromatosis and are unknowingly harming their health by ingesting too much iron and not keeping an eye on their iron levels. Hemochromatosis can be treated through diet and phlebotomy or donating blood.
More info:http://americanhs.org/

Steven Wright April 22, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Thanks for the info FarNorthGirl! I’m not sure if we will take on hemochromatosis just yet, but it will put on the list. In the meantime people who are concerned should up their Karma points and donate blood at least a couple times a year. This is a very efficient way to reduce iron stores.