Specific Carbohydrate Diet Success: Danielle Beat Ulcerative Colitis

We make it a priority to highlight SCD personalities from across the internet. We love hearing success stories and want to spread the knowledge of those brave enough to share their specific carbohydrate diet stories.

We are pleased to have Danielle from Againstallgrain in our spotlight this week!

Danielle’s story is remarkable. Suffering from Ulcerative Colitis and receiving nothing but pharmaceutical help from her doctors, she took her health into her own hands. Only 2 months into SCD, she was not only symptom-free but also Pregnant! This is really cool as the web is filled with stories of moms who, through diet tweaks, were able to crush conception problems. (Hint: get rid of grains.)

She just re-did her blog and it looks Great! She is amassing an awesome SCD recipe resource of new recipes. The best part is she is posting some great cultural dishes that will push anyone’s boundaries in the kitchen (time to buy more spices!). Some of the ones I’ve bookmarked and plan to try are the Thai Coconut Soup and Chicken Tikka Masala. She has great photography skills, which I think provide motivation for trying something new. I’ve said it before, but consider trying a new recipe every week you’re on SCD. This simple idea will break up any boredom in the kitchen, as well as force you to become an even better cook.

So, without further ado, here is Danielle’s story:

1. Why did you start SCD (health problems, treatments, etc)?

I started SCD in 2009, after battling with very severe Ulcerative Colitis for 2 years. I was diagnosed at the age of 21 right after graduating college, moving to a new city and getting married. As most people with the disease, Doctors aren’t sure what caused it, but I believe it was the stress of everything going on in my life that caused it to flare. I always say “marrying my husband gave me a disease!” Over a 6-month period, I saw 4 Gastroenterologists, and was in the ER two times before finally being diagnosed. All of the doctors I saw claimed that diet had nothing to do with the disease and refused to give me any advice on how to eat better. They prescribed medications immediately and sent me out the door with instructions to get another colonoscopy in a year. For the next year, I found my self in and out of the hospital every few months. I was put on 100 mg of Prednisone, was always very anemic and had 2 blood transfusions. Despite the doctors advice, my husband and I were sure that things could be at least somewhat helped by modifying my diet. I tried gluten-free, sugar-free, a slew of supplements, and all of the medications, but nothing could seem to get it under control.

A friend handed me the Breaking The Vicious Cycle book and I let it sit on my shelf for about 2 months before actually coming to grips with the fact that my whole lifestyle might need an overhaul. Mind you, we never really ate that unhealthy to begin with (no processed foods, all organic), but there was something triggering my gut to act up and I didn’t know what. I met a new friend who had the same disease and who vouched for the book and the diet and had the testimony of being cured from the SCD, which is what caused me to actually sit down and read it. After mentally preparing myself to change everything I knew and loved to cook, I started the intro diet.

2. How has SCD changed your life?

Immensely!!! My husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for some time, and had a lot of trouble with it. We were also nervous about becoming pregnant while I was in a flare up, so after much mental preparation to change my whole eating lifestyle, I began SCD. I couldn’t believe how quickly I saw results. Because of the severity, I stayed on the intro diet for about 5 days, but then slowly started adding the other SCD ‘legal’ foods in. Within 2 months on the diet, I became pregnant and had a symptom-free pregnancy! Although, I must admit, it is extremely hard to stick to the rules when you’re plagued with morning sickness, or have a terrible craving for pizza and ice cream! We now have a beautiful and healthy 8-month-old baby boy.

3. What was your biggest challenges on the diet and how did you overcome them?

I think the biggest challenge with SCD is convenience, which I’m noticing even more with an active baby. It takes a lot of preparation and you can’t just go to the store and pick something up for dinner when you’ve had a busy day. I started planning to have a day each week where I would prepare and freeze my staple items and the rest started falling into place. I think the second biggest challenge with SCD is boredom. It’s so easy to just make a piece of chicken and grilled vegetables every night, but eating that for a couple of weeks will drive you crazy. That’s why I started my blog and why I started experimenting with so many different things. It’s fun to take your old favorite recipes like lasagna or ice cream and make them healthier and fit to to the diet.

4. What is your #1 piece of advice you would give someone getting ready to start the diet?

Stick it out! It’s really hard, especially on the intro diet, to see the bright side. But after you get your symptoms under control, you can add in so many other delicious foods. You’ll feel so much better about the way you’re eating. And second, BE CREATIVE and don’t be afraid to take risks when cooking. The worst that can happen is your family hates it and you don’t make it again!

5. How has your newfound level of health changed your life?

I can take care of my son without worrying about being sick, which is a huge blessing. I was always worried that the disease would keep me from doing or having the things in life that are important to me, and SCD has helped keep that from happening. I also love that I can look at a box and see an ingredient like guar gum – one of the various undercover words for “sugar” – and actually know what it is now!

– Danielle

Steve April 22, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Just a clarification from Danielle she was on the Intro Diet for 5 days not weeks…whoops good catch!

Alicia R Tyre August 30, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I was curious how you were able to manage your morning sickness while maintaining the SCD diet. I am struggling to eat right now due to the nausea, and the dietary limitations. I have been on following the diet for 6 months now but find myself craving bread and crackers with this pregnancy. I need to avoid these foods especially right now since I cannot take the Remicade for the UC. Do you have any recommendations for a way to beat the morning sickness while still staying true to the eating protocol? I would appreciate any advise you may have. Thank you!

Vibeke September 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I am also pregnant (now 4 1/2 months) and read in GAPS that a cup of chicken stock should help with nausea and I think it did. I am through my nausea period now, but used it regularly when it was present in the first few months. The GAPS book has a whole chapter on sticking to the SCD diet while pregnant which I got alot of help from. My main problem being pregnant on the SCD is to eat enough to gain weight. Do you have any advice there?

Branwen February 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Mommypotamus has really good suggestions for morning sickness. Stick in there, you can do it. With my 1st son I was very strict and had a very healthy pregnancy and postpardum recovery. I kept a food diary to make sure I was getting enough calories, protein and fat. It was good to boost my legal carbs too. http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-real-cause-of-morning-sickness/ http://www.mommypotamus.com/7-remedies-for-morning-sickness-that-actually-work/

Zara Wills April 10, 2013 at 5:00 am

I was literally about to down load your Grain Free Meal Plans and start the SCD diet (after being in a constant flare of blood loss for what feels like about 6 months, only on Meselazine) and have now just discovered I am 4 weeks pregnant. I really want to start the diet to give my body and the babys the best change of developing but am worried about introducing food too slowly and the baby not getting enough nutrients. Do you think that i should just go straight into the full SCD diet and then start from the beginning once the baby is born? Im just so conflicted as i know the blood loss etc isnt good for either of us but i dont want it to lose out on anything either. PS Doctors are no help as in UK they dont even except the Diet!

Steven Wright April 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

It’s up to you but you need to start absorbing calories for both of you right away. Digestive enzymes and stress reduction are a must. Maybe leaving your job early to reduce it. You can start with the full SCD just eat, eat, eat.

Zara Wills April 24, 2013 at 7:24 am

Lyssette August 17, 2015 at 6:05 am

I have been suffering from ulcerative colitis for 1 year now. I have been to hospitals,doctors appointments, even had blood transfusion and iron difusions as i am also anemic . I have tried 3 different doctors who tell me the same “take my medication ill see you in 3
Months.

This is not treating me for what I have . I understand there is no cure for this but at least to maintain the amount of flare ups I get in one month. This affects my
Jobs and my life . I do not have the energy to do anything. Im always very tired and never have an appetite as I am terrified of having a flare up and have my hemoglobin dropped down.

My doctor stated I can’t eat whatever I want as long as I take my
Medication. Grant It she did state no nuts, raw veggies, beans, etc. but even with that im still getting several flare ups.

I am at the point of my life I give up. I know there is some diets out there that I can follow but I need the correct information and routine that I can follow and make sure that I can beat this disease

Please help

Mariel Heiss August 17, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Hi Lyssette, I’m so sorry to hear you’re struggling. The SCD diet has helped so many people with ulcerative colitis and we believe it can help you, too. Our eBook is designed to coach you through exactly how to start the diet and introduce new foods so you have the widest variety in your diet possible and still feel great. I think of it as SCD for dummies 🙂

The best place to start is with our free quick start guide: http://scdlifestyle.com/scd-quick-start-guide/

From here, we highly recommend following the directions in the eBook for best results: http://scdlifestylebook.com/

If you have any questions or need support, please reach out to us >>>>>> [email protected]

We’ve seen so many people with UC have incredible results following this diet, and we’d love to help you achieve better health too.