Optimize Your Healing to Feel Better Faster (Podcast 21)

Can we really optimize our healing like a billion dollar corporation?

You know, tweak a little bit here and there and magically increase profits 243%…

It’s something like that, but not that simple. Like back in college, when I wound up in the trenches of the cut-throat auto industry.

My shiny engineering degree allowed me to work on sexy industry-jargon projects like:

• Optimization
  • Efficiency
  • and Standardization

For example, during one project they asked me to study every robot on one section of the assembly line and find a way to save 1 second per car – resulting in thousands of dollars in cost savings.

What happened?

I learned that watching robots weld cars all day can make you a little crazy. But I also found out saving 1 second per car really did lead to substantial savings for the company.

With some of the robots we couldn’t save a millisecond, but with the help of two genius electricians we saved 2-3 seconds on enough of them that we accomplished our goal.

Although the company still filed bankruptcy a few years later, I learned one simple thing that allowed me to heal my gut faster than I ever thought possible.

Little tweaks DO ADD UP to huge savings.

And in today’s SCD mailbag, we bust out the microscope and share specific techniques that optimize your healing to feel better faster.

On This Podcast, You’ll Learn:

1:48 The best SCD vitamins and why we recommend them

4:28 Whether it’s important to supplement with fiber (like Metamucil) – and what the consequences may be

6:21 How to overcome starchy cravings and weight loss even if you’re allergic to squash and too much protein is bogging you down

9:34 The myth that a vegetarian can’t follow SCD and what to try instead of meat – especially in the beginning

13:12 Why coffee often triggers diarrhea or even setbacks on the diet, and why trying it again later can often jump-start healing

15:05 Which judo techniques work – and don’t work – for chronic constipation

18:33 The complete lack of experience with vegetarian SCD and how to start feeling better in 1-2 days

23:01 The potential cause of mysterious diarrhea and cramping every morning

28:01 Whether enteric coated or normal fish oils are a better source for colitis patients

31:30 The top three reasons our book isn’t available in print

Play

If you want to learn even more specific tweaks to maximize your healing, click here to take our book for a test drive:

Links from the podcast:

SCD turkey breakfast sausage: Watch the video here

The famous four horseman: Avoid these four triggers if the diet’s not working

SCD legal vitamins: GI Pro Health “SCD Complete”

SCD legal fish oil: GI Pro Health “Omega Max”

Want your questions answered on the next podcast?

Submit your question here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7DZJJTT

– If you can’t see the audio player below, download the MP3 here.

– Also, make sure you subscribe on iTunes and leave a review – thanks!

Thedra May 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Listened to your podcast this morning and it was helpful, as always! Thanks! Two questions…How much fish oil should I take? Don’t want to take too much or too little?
What brand digestive enzymes do you suggest and how much do you take?
Thanks again so much, Thedra

Jordan Reasoner May 4, 2011 at 12:15 am

Hi Thedra,

I like to use this Robb Wolf fish oil calculator to figure out how much to take. It factors in your weight and how damaged your body is. He has you take a max dosage for three weeks and taper down with the goal of calming inflammation. Here’s the link: http://whole9life.com/fish-oil/

For digestive enzymes, I like “Prozymes” by GI Pro Health and I take 2 with every meal, however, start with 1 pill to make sure you don’t have any weird stomach pain with it. Here’s the link: http://www.giprohealth.com/prozymes.aspx

Stay in touch,

elizabeth May 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I just listened to your pod cast. Thank you for sharing all the important knowledge once again! I was diagnosed with Crohn’s disease in 2006 and have been a vegetarian for 8 years. I have been successfully on the SCD for 6 months. I am responding to your request to share what I eat on a daily basis as a vegetarian. Since starting SCD I have began eating fish at least once a week (I am going to try increase this to three times a week, it has been an adjustment). I have been very careful to make sure I am getting enough calories due to weight loss. Here is a list of what I typically eat. I hope this helps other vegetarians! Elizabeth

Eggs
DCCC
Cheese
Homemade Yogurt (including homemade frozen yogurt)
Beans (White, Black, Red)
Lentils, Spilt Peas
Almond Butter
Nut Flour goodies (waffles, muffins, cookies)
Raw Nuts
Coconut Oil
Olive Oil
Avocados
A tone of Veggies-love all veggies
Fruit
Variety of Soups with veggies and beans
Salads
Since SCD: Wild Salmon, Tuna, Tilapia
Smoothies: Banana (or other berries), Almond Butter, Yogurt, Ice
Green Juice: (put through juicer) Cucumber, Romaine, Kale, Parsley, Spinach, Broccoli Stem, Carrot, Apple, Lemon, Ginger

Jordan Reasoner May 4, 2011 at 12:21 am

Thank you Elizabeth – it’s great to hear from you! I really appreciate that you shared all this great info for others looking to approach SCD the same way. How are you feeling since you’ve been going strong for 6 months?

Tiffany November 12, 2016 at 1:34 pm

Thank you for your response Elizabeth! My boyfriend and I are starting the SCD diet next week and we are vegetarians now. I would like to be egg and dairy free, what would you suggest for main meals during phase 1?? Did you eat beans right away? What about the intro diet?

Riz May 11, 2011 at 11:46 am

Hi Jordan and Steve,

Many thanks for another great podcast and for answering my questions….I will indeed be eliminating all diary for the next 5 days and will let you know how I get on. Btw I do take Acidophilus Complex 5 billion once a day and wondered if this would be ok as you mentioned bifidus…..

many thanks

Riz

Riz

Jordan Reasoner May 13, 2011 at 8:33 am

Hi Riz,

I’m not familiar with that brand – but if it has illegal ingredients I would avoid it until you start to heal. Try an SCD Legal brand like “Scdophilis” from GI Pro Health.

As far as the Bifidus goes, it’s a good bacteria but not friendly to other good bacteria. We always recommend you think about getting a CDSA stool test to see if you need Bifidus or not first. Your Dr. can order it or you can check them out here: http://www.gdx.net/product/10006

Stay in touch,

Riz May 19, 2011 at 5:45 am

Hi Jordan and Steve,
Just wanted to give you an update on my current situation. Unfortunately there has been no change since I have stopped all diary, I have even cut out Almond Flour…..am of course a bit frustrated as I am trying really hard, basically living on vegetables steamed and then blended into soup, vegetable juices, carrot, cabbage and celery and maybe an apple thrown in now and then. Banana smoothies some times with berries and apple juice. I am going to continue with the regime for a few more days to see if there is any change but any support or advice would be most welcomed.

cheers

Riz

Jordan Reasoner June 16, 2011 at 8:57 am

@ Riz,

You may have to get more moderation in the fruit. It sounds like you’re still eating a lot of natural sugar and still having issues. You’re doing awesome!

Keep tweaking and don’t stop until you break through. I know it’s frustrating but you’re close. Start with by lowering the fruit a little more. Also, make sure you’re taking digestive enzymes to support the increase in fats and proteins that you’re eating.

Let us know how you’re doing.

Jenny May 25, 2011 at 12:53 am

I’ve been a vegetarian for 20 years, had Crohn’s since at least 2006, and on the diet since October 2010 (about 7 months). The diet worked great for me at first but I had trouble with nuts and legumes so I was relying mostly on eggs, cheese and yogurt and a little fish for protein and fat. Unlike some people on SCD I do fine with eggs and dairy and I was eating 3 or 4 eggs a day and a big block of cheese, sometimes 12 oz. My cholesterol had never been high before but then a couple months ago I had a blood test and my cholesterol was very high, no surprise I guess considering how much egg and cheese I was eating. So I tried eating less of those and started eating a lot of nut flour baked things plus veg & fruit, which led to a Crohn’s flare-up. I tried eating less of the nut flour but then I was starving and just couldn’t get enough to eat. About 10 days ago I decided to try meat. I switched to eating nothing but poultry, fish and vegetables, and within a few days I was completely fine, the flare-up vanished and I have perfect digestion now. Listening to your podcasts I think nut flour, honey and fruit will have to be just occasional treats for me, at least until things heal inside. I chose vegetarianism for ethical reasons so I feel bad about what I’m doing but can’t figure out what else to do. I’m eating 3 meals of chicken or turkey most days. Afraid to eat too much fish because of mercury etc. Wondering whether my cholesterol will stay high because of eating so much chicken?

Jordan Reasoner June 16, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hi Jenny,

Wow – that’s an amazing story, great job! I’m glad that you’re feeling better, but more importantly that you kept tweaking until you did.

It sounds like you’re on the right track transitioning your diet to what is working for your body. To be honest, I don’t worry about Cholesterol at all. There’s a lot of bad information out there about it.

If you’re really concerned, read this article by Dr. Eades for a better understanding: http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/cardiovascular-disease/you-bet-your-life-an-epilogue-to-the-cholesterol-story/

Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing,

Trina January 15, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I had some comments on your enteric fish oil discussion.

1st, I don’t know how accurate this is, but Jimmy Moore mentioned once that if you get fishy burps it means that brand is rancid. Something to think about, anyway.

2nd, I’ve heard a few times, I think Jini Patel Thompson might be one who mentioned it, that if you have digestive issues don’t use, in general, enteric coated anything, because you have to first digest the coating to get to the inner substance, and if your digestion is compromised the whole entire thing might just go straight through, especially if you have diarrhea. In fact, she recommends opening vitamin capsules and taking them in liquid. Sometimes the taste is funky, but I think the digestion is better.

and 3rd,
I have my doubts about fish oil in particular being enteric coated because what is the point of having fat of any kind avoid the digestive juices at any stage? I just don’t get what the benefit would be. Fat digestion is supposed to start in the mouth and it goes on from there. It’s not the same as probiotics, or drugs that are trying to avoid digestion. We want the fish oils to be digested.

Tanya July 13, 2013 at 6:56 pm

I’m looking for a good recipe for a vegetarian soup for the intro period. I’m okay with returning to eggs and fish, but definitely not chicken or cows or pigs. Any help?
Tanya

Stacey B January 10, 2014 at 11:09 am

I have had success through the Intro Diet using cod in place of the chicken in the soup. I added 3 lbs at the start and continued to cook it the same way. I did have a hard time filtering out the celery and onion when I waited for the third hour. The cod had begun flaking and looks just like onion. I just placed the pieces on a dish to hand pick the fish back out. You may benefit from trying it around 2 1/2 hours in so the fish is still fairly whole.

You may also want to be sure you are eating some other type of fish as your meat patty substitute to be so you add variety and don’t get too sick of cod. I know that I am on my second day of Phase 1, and I am not interested in seeing cod for a while! Hope this helps others as I see you posted this a while back, and have presumably worked through it by now. I am happy to have my energy back and feeling better!

Laura December 21, 2013 at 1:07 am

I’m also looking for vegetarian options as well for the into soup.

Also, how does the author of the original scd diet feel about you starting this website? Just wondering, if you’ve ever contacted or spoken with her? Seems like she wouldn’t approve, but who knows. Especially since you’re gainf a profit from her research?

Debbie Driver July 4, 2015 at 1:38 am

Highly disappointing the lack of knowledge towards a vegetarian/vegan diet. Every page I have read the veggies are going back to eating dead animals. I can see a vegan lifestyle is not supported here.

Mariel Heiss July 6, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Hi Debbie, thanks for listening and taking the time to comment. We’ve had some experience fielding questions from vegetarians, but our products are not geared towards that lifestyle choice. Many vegetarians follow SCD, though. Jordan and Steve also did a podcast in which they open an educated discussion about different diets and their views on being a vegetarian. I’d like to note that we are not dogmatic with our approach to diet and totally understand if you have reasons due to religion or something of that nature. Here’s the podcast: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/08/vegetarians-tips-for-improving-gut-health/