What to eat for breakfast on SCD — that’s dairy and egg free

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day on SCD.

I can’t wait to jump out of bed every morning and fry up my Turkey Breakfast Sausage in coconut oil.

The best part?

It’s dairy and egg free for those of us that can’t do either.

I’ve been getting emails from people wanting to know more about it, so without further ado:

My Turkey Sausage Recipe

4 lbs. of ground turkey

3 tsp. sea salt

2 tbsp. water

2 pinches of thyme

2 pinches of black pepper

I roll the 4 lbs. of ground turkey into a long tube on a pan, on foil.  Then I add the water, salt, and spice.  The important thing is to kneed everything into the meat and then make it into a perfect log.  Next wrap the foil around the log and poke holes throughout it.  Bake it at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 hours and check the temperature.  Cut them up into patties and freeze them for a great breakfast treat.  Makes around 12 6 oz patties.

Here’s a video explaining how I make it:

Now it’s your turn…

1) Make a batch of your own Turkey Breakfast Sausage

2) Leave a comment below telling me how it went and your cool ideas to make it better

Enjoy,

Pam Cline March 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I tried and liked the turkey sausage. I followed the recipe the first time I made it. I microwaved my sausage and ate it with mustard.

The second time I made it, I put in extra of some of the spices, like cayenne, salt and black pepper. Instead of making a roll, I pressed it into a greased 13X9 pan. It doesn’t have to cook as long and if the pan is covered with foil then the top doesn’t dry out. I cut it into individual pieces and frozen them. For my sauce if used a mixture of turmeric spice, mustard, homemade yogurt and sweet-n-low.

Tressey March 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Thanks for the detailed recipe. When I first tried the recipe, the meat did not appear “done”. The step about browning it upon eating was missing in the description I believe, know I get it. Off get some turkey, for take 2

Steven Wright April 4, 2011 at 11:43 am

Hi Tressey – If your unsure if the meat is done, use a thermometer to check the temp near the end of cooking. Your looking for at least 160 degrees. Also covering it with tin foil is a big factor.

Renee Hartless March 31, 2011 at 11:02 am

Do you have to dethaw them first or do you fry them up frozen?

Jordan Reasoner April 4, 2011 at 11:45 am

I fry them up frozen! It takes a couple minutes longer but not to bad!

Jordan Reasoner October 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm

@ – Renee, you can do either. Its faster to have them thawed but frozen will work as well. I usually just try to pull out enough for 2 days. So everyday when I eat a bag, I pull another one out and put it in the fridge to slowly thaw. Then 48hrs later when I’m ready to eat it its not frozen anymore.

Chris C April 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Hey, how many calories would you say this is? I need plenty of calories to keep me going! Thanks a lot!

Steven Wright October 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm

@ Chris – Good question, about 4oz of cooked ground turkey is 261 calories (fitday.com). You would need to cut and measure a few pieces to get a good idea how much your eating each day. My guess is after a week of measuring them, you’ll know exactly what 4oz or 8oz looks like.

Karen December 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Just thinking this might also work nicely using a muffin tin for cooking … might be easier to be consistent with amounts/servings, for those concerned with getting enuf calories. Can’t wait to try this recipe – thanks Jordan :)

Libby Doubler May 20, 2011 at 10:54 am

Well, I’m at the end of stage one and feeling pretty perky. With that in mind, I decided to try this sausage. I used the recipe from the e-book as it had a little more spice. The idea of wrapping in foil and poking little holes was brilliant. And then frying it in coconut oil after it was already cooked? I was in heaven this morning! I know frying isn’t supposed to be allowed yet, but 3 hours later I’m feeling fine! Thanks for the great recipe. Mornings are good again!

Jordan Reasoner June 16, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thanks Libby – glad you like it! Let us know if you have any sweet variations that taste good.

Sandy May 31, 2011 at 8:00 am

This is awesome Jordan. Very tasty and not to heavy on the stomach like regular sausage. I tried the pan method and it worked great. I used my cooking thermometer and it alerted me when the turkey made it to 165 degrees. So easy!

Jordan Reasoner June 16, 2011 at 9:05 am

@ Sandy – glad you liked it. Update us if you find a new version that’s good too.

Sechmeth September 26, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Please, for people from outside the US: tell them that 300 degrees is 300 Fahrenheit, not 300 Celsius. I just made a huge log of charcoal.

Steven Wright October 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm

@ Sechmeth – Made the change above, sorry about that!

Lee September 27, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Hi Steve/Jordan

I made this once and it was really dry, any idea what I did wrong or what I can do to make it more tasty

Steven Wright October 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm

@ Lee – Hey man, a couple of ideas, first is its going to be drier than your probably used to because its just turkey, that’s why we recommend browning it up in coconut oil, ghee or butter when you eat it. But that being said I can make mine pretty moist by doing a couple things. First is making it in 4lbs or smaller loafs and then wrapping and sealing it in tin foil. This keeps the moisture in. Also really monitor the internal temperature so you don’t overcook it which will dry it out.

Odddlycrunchy October 3, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I make a mix of seasonings that includes ginger, sage, salt, cayenne pepper, and garlic – I’ll put the exact proportions on my website as soon as I find my notes. To make sausage, I mix 1 lb ground turkey or chicken, about 3 Tbs chopped marrow (reserved from broth-making with beef marrow bones), and 3 Tbs seasoning mix in a medium bowl, until well mixed. Then I shape into (pretty shapeless, but no one cares) patties with two soup spoons, dropping each into a well coconut-oiled pan preheated to medium low, and fry on both sides until golden. Makes about 16 patties, enough for several days (or several people). Keeps well in the fridge (about 5 days) and is a great snack. The marrow prevents the sausage patties from being too dry.

Alex October 29, 2011 at 11:08 am

When doubling the recipe, how much time should I leave the turkey in the oven?

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm

@ Alex, time totally depends on how thick it is… start with 90-minutes and see what happens. Always use a thermometer to check it.

Turkey Sausage for Life December 20, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I made a loaf of this and it tastes really good. I used to love the Mcdonalds breaksfasts before I started SCD but now I have this I don’t miss them.

Thanks guys

Jordan Reasoner January 6, 2012 at 12:17 am

Thanks for the kind words… I’m glad it’s helping with the Mickey D’s cravings :-)

Goodbyegirl January 8, 2012 at 7:37 am

I loved this recipe, thanks so much! I added my favourite herbs, paprika and italian (all SCD safe), and then 2 tbs of honey to sweeten it a little. Perfection and a great quick breakfast, lunch or snack.

I’m in the UK so had to work out the cooking temp – 150°C @ 2hrs – and portion size (I did 2 packs of 500-600g turkey mince) but after a few hits and misses (turkey juices burnt onto pan, foil stuck to turkey, too much water and then way too little) it turned out well.

Jordan Reasoner January 14, 2012 at 7:24 am

Oh, that sounds great! Thanks for sharing your tips :-)

Lou Ann March 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I tried this recipe and found it really good. The apple makes the turkey much more moist.
1 lb. ground turkey
1 c. chopped or grated peeled apple
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. sage
1 tsp. fennel seed
Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and make patties. I put them in snack size ziplock bags and freeze.

Trisha Wright ( no relation) April 6, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I had ground up some turkey legs and thighs in my food processor, because dark meat is MUCH more moist in turkey than breast. It came out fantastic. I think I’ll be making some Italian sausage soon! Oh, and I didn’t use aluminum foil because it’s just another thing our bodies will have to work harder to eliminate from our systems. I used parchment paper and wrapped it twice very tightly. Very do-able. Thanks so much for this recipe. I and my 3 children are very happy!

Steven Wright April 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm

@ Trisha (no relation Wright – Great last name haha. Thanks for sharing a great tip to get more moisture into this. Another idea is to mix fatter meats with it. I like to use pastured ground Lamb.

Linda July 31, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Where do I get ground turkey that does not have “natural seasonings” in it?

Jordan Reasoner July 31, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Hi Linda – I always get mine from a local farmers market on the weekends.

Also, try calling around to any butcher shops that might be able to get some for you.

Scott September 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Awesome! I love this idea. I’m a single, young professional so I really appreciate these time saving, simple recipes :)

claire September 11, 2012 at 10:42 am

Thanks for the recipe. We like fennel in our sausage too.
Do you have any concerns about using aluminum when cooking? I thought it was the next suspect in Alzheimers and Autism?

Steven Wright September 14, 2012 at 11:39 am

@Claire – I’ve never specifically researched the Aluminum link before. So I can’t really comment on it. I still use it and in the grand scheme of pollutants in our environments it seems low risk compared to others we might contact everyday.

Kathryn Trautvetter September 14, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks for this encouraging idea. I was just going in to “Face Breakfast” and was not extremely excited about my choices – so this looks perfect. Can’t wait to try it! I just started some homemade saurkraut yesterday. I put my organic cabbage through the food processor with the grating blade and it came out very fine. After adding the sea salt, it didn’t take much pressure to make a good brine after only 5 minutes! I wonder if the fine grating made it work so well? Maybe others would like to try this if they are having trouble making brine.

Joyce Hermans November 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I have become intolerant to eggs, chicken,( I’m afraid to try turkey), all meats , fish, shellfish, beans, nuts, soy and dairy. I can only tolerate beef, bison and wild meats.
I can’t do citrus, bananas, and have become sensitive to avocado, mango and melons. How do I approach this SCD lifestyle?

Jordan Reasoner November 5, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Hi Joyce, it sounds like you have severe leaky gut. I’d say start with what meat you can eat and peel, cook, and puree your fruits and veggies. Digestive enzymes will likely help a TON, we use GI Pro Health’s “Prozymes”

Deb Cook February 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

I’d recommend using venison.

Tessa December 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I love turkey sausage for breakfast but I make mine with cinnamon and dice an apple or 2 in 3lbs ground turkey. I then make my thurkey into patties with my hands and lay it on way paper on a cooking sheet and freeze it uncooked after it is frozen I transfer to an airtight container and each morning I pull out what I need and cook it from frozen to cooked in under 10 min

Denese March 2, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Any suggestions on making these in a crockpot?

Steven Wright March 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

If you do it let us know how it works

Angela Privin March 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I love this but since I had aluminum overload I stopped using foil for cooking. I use parchment paper instead. It can handle high heat and is safer. I recommend it to my clients also.

Dawn @Transformed by Food September 10, 2013 at 10:25 am

I usually use both! Bleach free parchment paper on the inside, aluminum foil on the outside. I’ve found that high heat can affect the parchment paper.

Sooz March 21, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Out turkey meat here in Australia is pretty awful, or even non-existent as a ground version. But, so many options for breakfast! Am gluten and dairy free at the moment. Fish soup (fast to prepare), or GF/DF bouillon with vegetables, or vegetable mash and so on. Stop thinking ‘breakfast food’ for breakfast. No reason you can’t have dinner or lunch for breakfast, or leftovers from the night before.

Peter Stevens April 15, 2013 at 9:21 am

wow – everybody is so enthuiastic about this – it tried it – it was AWFUL the house stank when cooking it – admittedly it was ground turkey from a national food chain. So I bought a whole turkey from a local farmer, where they grain feed with no boosters, and air dry – and honestly it was only a little better, but I was generally quite put off – so the dogs are getting it ALL. So I am stuck without this while trying to track down one of the 4 horsemen that is troubling me – there must be something missing
peter

Renee April 23, 2013 at 10:50 am

Can you eat this turkey instead of eggs at the beginning of the diet?

David Lucas August 15, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Hello –

I am interested in trying this recipe. I currently have 1lb of ground turkey. Just wondering if I should adjust the temperature (300?) Also curious to know if I should still bake for 2 hours?

Many thanks,
David

Kimberly August 27, 2013 at 12:44 am

Hi guys…I am not a fan of turkey at all…can the sausage be made with ground beef or ground pork? Thanks much! Kim : )

Steven Wright August 30, 2013 at 10:36 am

Totally! Lamb is good pork or any meat will work.

Dawn @Transformed by Food September 10, 2013 at 10:21 am

Sounds delicious! I often have dinner leftovers, or even a salad for breakfast. I’m going to try making these, though. Great that you can make them ahead and freeze them. I also discovered that US Wellness Meats has Grass Fed Beef Polish Breakfast Sausage that’s absolutely delicious. So, anyone who has limited time might want to try those, although making them yourself is a lot more cost effective!

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Have a happy, gut healthy day!

Nancy October 26, 2013 at 10:20 am

I am assuming that this recipe is not approved for Phase I since it requires browning in oil. Is this correct?

Nathan November 8, 2013 at 10:21 am

Thanks so much for this post! I’ve been having a hard time figuring out what to eat for breakfast as I’m dairy and egg free as well. Can’t wait to try this out!

Ammy November 12, 2013 at 11:12 am

Hi all, yes breakfast is a conundrum!

I wanted to share my own standard, because it makes my life easier and that’s what counts when you need to throw something together quickly.

Here’s what I do.
Take a bunch of greens like kale or collard, spinach etc. and cut up and put in a medium saucepan. You can cut up carrots, celery and other kinds of veggies and add them too if you like. Add about an inch of water in the bottom of the pan. Take a pound of thawed ground meat, make a big patty and make it fit into the top of the pan as flat as possible. Sprinkle with salt. Put the lid on and simmer until the meat is all the way done. Add butter if it was a lean type of meat. Put what you don’t eat in the fridge. This makes 3-4 servings and can stand in for other meals when in a hurry.

I know, not as exciting as sausage and I do get tired of this but it’s the best quick healthy meal I can come up with. There’s no frying so it’s about as healthy as you can get.

And, JOYCE, there is an answer for you in the GAPS diet, which I think is the next step up that you should be looking at given the severity of your situation. Basically, it involves taking in home-made broths (and little else) for the first stage, which will speedily heal your gut better than anything else. Then you can gradually add in other foods. Do look up the specific instructions on how to do this, you want your broth to contain gelatin and make sure to avoid fibrous foods while doing this step.

Best of luck!

Peg March 25, 2014 at 6:42 am

Thanks, Ammy
Meat cooked in oil is no longer even mildly appealing to me so this sounds great!
To your health!
Peg

Jan November 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Any updates to this recipe? Reading some mixed results.
Still need to bake before? Why not just grill a seasoned patty?

Elizabeth Reinbold January 14, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Hi Jordan, may I use ground chicken instead of turkey, it seems Iam sensative to turkey. Thanks Elizabeth :)

Pepper January 28, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I’m 68, having a great deal of pain and found out most of my problems are from salicylates, so I cannot have coconut oil or seasoning. Are there any other ideas to help the bland taste of turkey?

Katie Evans-Young February 26, 2014 at 1:58 pm

I spent all day Sunday cooking. The almond muffins, the turkey sausage, the chicken soup (which I added way too much salt to, so I’m going to re-heat and cut up some organic yams in the soup to absorb the salt), and also some coconut bread that I got a recipe for from a paleo website. I found that too many of the almond muffins made my joints hurt (possibly – need more data to make sure this was the cause). It’s weird to eat meat for breakfast, but I just ate 4 of my turkey sausage patties (they are pretty small), an avocado, a small piece of my coconut bread, a small tangerine and some kefir. Yum! I fell SO GOOD! I am not even craving sugar. It’s amazing what happens when my body is actually FED and KEEPS the food in! Usually I would have…ahem…eliminated…breakfast by now. I’m a little bit shaky, but I’m wondering if it’s because that food takes longer for my blood sugar to raise with, and I take an amphetamine ADD medicine. I’ve sworn off caffeine. Maybe I can stop the meds, too? Going to talk to my psychiatrist at next visit. Thanks, guys!

Lisa March 7, 2014 at 10:16 am

Katie, almond flour is high in PUFAs (polyunsaturated fatty acids), and a diet high in PUFAs can trigger an inflammatory response. When you use almond flour, you’re consuming a whole lot of almonds without realizing it. Almond flour is also high in enzyme-inhibitors, which is why I generally eat nuts between meals, away from other foods. Not a firm rule; just a general guideline. …I feel better after lowering my consumption of nuts. For me, too many almonds would leave me feeling lightheaded, ‘spacey,’ and a little shaky. I don’t know if that could be what’s causing you to feel shaky or not, but the other thing to consider is this: generally, people get shaky when their blood sugar rises to quickly (from eating sugars/carbs) and then it plummets. In my case, I do best with an all/nearly-all-protein breakfast and save the carbs for later in the day. My body needs protein first and then my blood sugar seems to stay pretty stable all day. Sugar of any sort first sets me up for possible blood sugar dips and shakey, weak, irritable-feeling all day.

Lisa March 7, 2014 at 10:30 am

One more thought, Katie… too much food in one sitting can also lead to blood sugar spikes and then lows. Maybe try having the kefir and bread as a snack mid-morning. I know it’s exciting that the food is actually staying in you and getting digested! Keep it up and wishing you the best!

Stephanie March 29, 2014 at 11:14 am

How can 4 lbs of meat or 64 ounces turn into 12 6 oz patties…or 72 ounces? Spices and water don’t weigh that much….so there goes your calorie calculation too..

liz April 18, 2014 at 11:06 am

The problem with the recipe is that it calls for the food to be wrapped and cooked in foil; then the toxic aluminum leaches into your otherwise healthy breakfast! People are aware that their food shouldn’t touch plastic, but it also shouldn’t be cooked in contact with aluminum!