What are we supposed to do if one-size-fits-all doesn’t work?
Like last week, I was out shopping for a new hat, which I hated for 2 simple reason:
- I have a HUGE noggin
- I only wear fitted hats without the plastic adjustment in the back
Every hat I tried on was so tight I thought my eyes were going to explode out of my head. And each time I pulled them off in disappointment the tag read, “One-size-fits-all.”
So what did I do when “one-size-fits-all” didn’t work for me?
I saw two options… either get a smaller head or find a bigger hat. I figured finding a bigger hat was my best choice.
The next morning I found a place that makes custom fitted hats for people with huge noggins like me and a few days later I was comfortably wearing a brand new hat perfect for my big head.
Sometimes, we just need to tweak things to fit us just right. And sometimes SCD doesn’t work unless you tweak it to fit YOUR body just right.
We’re confident that SCD works for most people. In fact, we’re convinced that if diet modification isn’t working for you – you’re probably only one or two tweaks away from becoming another SCD success story.
To make it easier for you we’ve identified four common SCD tweaks that allow the diet to work for 95% of us.
Introducing: The Four Dark Horsemen of SCD
The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are described in the Bible as four beasts that ride on horses symbolizing Conquest, War, Famine and Death while bringing about the end of the world.
The bleak imagery aligns well with the four common foods that stop the diet from working for some people. The “Four Dark Horsemen of SCD” are dairy, egg, nuts, and excessive fruit/honey.
Why do these four foods stop the diet from working for some people?
Because so many of us come to SCD unknowingly suffering from increased intestinal permeability (leaky gut). Leaky gut allows HUGE proteins into the blood stream that aren’t normally supposed to be there, signaling your immune defenses to ATTACK like an angry hornets nest. An inflamed immune system makes healing on SCD an uphill battle even though you’re eating “SCD legal” foods.
Here’s the breakdown of each of the four horsemen listed in order of most problematic:
- Dairy: The protein Casein (Don’t worry – replace yogurt with dairy free probiotics like these)
- Egg: The protein Albumin (Egg and dairy free SCD is possible – even for breakfast, find out how here)
- Nuts: Nut and nut flour proteins (Find other recipes here)
- Excessive fruit/honey: Way too much sugar feeds bacteria (Read about fructose malabsorption here)
Reactions to look for: stomach pain, constipation, diarrhea, sinus drainage, horrible smelling gas, headache, and brain fog.
Armed with the tools of our “Four Dark Horsemen Strategy,” we’re confident most people can customize SCD to work for them.
What to do if SCD isn’t working for you
Here’s how to tweak SCD using the “Four Dark Horsemen Strategy” and quickly get the diet working for you.
1) Start by eliminating one of the four horsemen for four days. Here’s the key: don’t change anything else in your diet so any changes you notice are only from the food you eliminated. Four days gives you enough time to tell if it’s the only tweak you needed.
2) If the first attempt fails, keep eliminating the remaining three horsemen until you find the culprit. For many of us, eliminating all four together finally does the trick.
Remember, most of the time you’re just one tweak away from SCD success… remove that one trigger and you’re well on your way to perfect health.
For even more help troubleshooting SCD with specific step-by-step strategies, check out our book “SCD Lifestyle—Surviving to Thriving,” which includes a bonus 32-page FAQ troubleshooting guide to help you tweak SCD to fit your body. Here’s the link:
In good health,