Ditch Your SCD Training Wheels by Creating a Food Safe Zone

What happens when the foundation is missing? Those little things we often dismiss as not important…

For example, what if you tried to ride a bike without honing your skills on training wheels first?

You’d go down hard and fast in less than 10 seconds, which is exactly the reason we all started on training wheels.

I still remember cruising around with those squeaky wheels keeping me alive. Every screech was a reminder that my basic biking skills weren’t good enough yet.

Then, the big day finally came when my Dad unbolted them and I never looked back… freedom baby.

All the greatest skills and procedures utilize foundational skills. These simple steps form the support structure for more complex skills. We don’t live in a bubble; real life is stressful and always changing. Getting the simple steps right is the most important step for success.

This is the biggest pitfall for a person who “jumps head first” into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet without any training wheels.

The foundation is missing.

The Foundation is Emotional

Food runs through every part of our society. Then, mix in disease and disorders that affect our happiness and it’s easy to see that SCD can be tough.

Creating a “food safe zone” gives you:

• A deep trust in a solid foundation of foods to fall back on when you can’t afford to be sick
  • The unshakable confidence to weather any storm, like stressful jobs to trans-Atlantic flights
  • Remove the fear of introducing new foods by creating a rock-solid environment to test ANYTHING

Food, disease, and stress each affect us differently and having a “food safe zone” that you know makes you feel good is crucial to SCD success.

What is a “Food Safe Zone”?

In simple terms, it’s a group of easy to digest foods that make you feel good when you eat them. It’s typically made up of:

• Any cooked non-processed meats
  • 5-8 different cooked vegetables
  • 1-3 different cooked fruits

Together, these foods form the foundation of SCD healing allowing for medication changes, supplement tweaks and trying new foods with confidence.

Each person’s “food safe zone” is uniquely suited for their body.

Create Your “Food Safe Zone” in 5 Steps

A “food safe zone” can be created anytime during your healing. To start one now follow these 5-steps:

1. Cut out the four common triggers during this phase (No dairy, egg, nuts and eat low fruit)
  2. Pick one vegetable, one fruit and rotate your meats to get started (pears or apples, carrots or squash)
  3. Add one new vegetable or fruit every four days
  4. Add two vegetables for every one fruit (2:1 ratio)
  5. Track daily calories in 5 minutes a day using a free program like www.fitday.com for the first month

This is your personal bubble to protect your healing from everyday life and unforeseen problems that arise during recovery from digestive problems. Each safe zone is easily tailored to accommodate any number of dietary restrictions or special circumstances.

If you want even more help creating your food safe zone, including step-by-step instructions, our book SCD Lifestyle—Surviving to Thriving will hold your hand every step of the way.

Click here to learn more: http://scdlifestylebook.com/

In Good health,

Kristin April 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Thanks for the above post. I have Crohn’s and have been on the diet for 7 months now, but never did the intro diet as I don’t have D (just severe stomach pain and inflammation). The diet has helped tremendously – my CRP blood test has gone from 34.8 to 0.79 in 6 months. However, I still have some days where I don’t feel as great as others, so am going to take your advice above and get a “safe list” to fall back on. Thanks also for taking the time to do this website – I have been following for a few months now but this is my first comment.

Steven Wright April 16, 2011 at 4:02 pm

@ Hi Kristin – Thanks so much for your comment, I love to hear when a person’s lab tests show the POWER OF FOOD. Comments like yours keep us going!

Christine April 20, 2012 at 1:30 am

Even without being on the SCD (although following a diet very much like it), I have inadvertently already created a safe-food-zone for myself.
I don’t have the typical Crohn’s symptoms and feel no gastronomical discomfort or symptoms (as long as I avoid unsoaked raw nuts) and I think my problems deal mainly with leaky-gut which is causing food intolerances due to eating wheat.

If any here is still on the fence about giving up wheat (I hope not), here’s a great description of what it does to you which I found:
“Wheat has a lectin [a type of food chemical] that binds with the mucus lining in the small intestine. Once this happens the mucus exits the body. If the body can’t replace the mucus at the same rate it is being stripped away it will cause inflammation in the intestine. At this point, with a compromised small intestine, almost everything you eat becomes potentially toxic. Not only that, Serotonin production stops. Most of the serotonin you brain uses for neuro-transmissions comes from your small intestine…

There are other foods with toxic ingredients that your small intestine keeps out of your blood stream but most of them break down into simple proteins and carbohydrates when they are cooked or fermented. Wheat lectin is very resilient and doesn’t break down easily. Once if strips away the mucus lining in your gut it has an open door to your blood stream where it attacks other areas of your body with concentrations of fluid like your joints and your BRAIN.”

Colleen August 3, 2012 at 7:53 am

Thanks for that detailed breakdown of what happens. I’m just changing to SCD eating as I have LOTS of signs of leaky gut and my blood tests show inflammation on the rise. Will be interesting to see my next test results.

Steven Wright August 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm

@Colleen – Good for you, stay in touch we’d love to find out what happens with the testing.

Jill August 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

Awesome explanation! What kind of attacks on the brain? The doctors can’t explain the waves of dizzy spells and have reffered me to Mayo Clinic after being non responsive or allergic to medications. I notice them after drinking water and needing to be ‘ on my toes’ in thought process throughout the day. They are brief yet at times I need to sit down or pull off to the side of the road till they pass. SCD is helping.

Jordan Reasoner August 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Hi Jill, I’m so glad they are helping! If you deal with headaches, our friend Chris Kresser recommends eating a version of the diet that is free of tyramine, histamine, and arginine.

In general, I’ve seen a lot of anecdotal evidence that removing all grains, legumes, and dairy improves brain function and issues like depression or anxiety.

Alba Vaz April 22, 2012 at 11:38 am

Love your information guys. I’ve been teaching the same type of eating philosophy for years (I’m a member of Weston Price Foundation), but people resist giving up flour and sugar to the detriment of their health….it appears that the body must scream very loudly before they listen. Very frustrating. Glad to have found your facebook page, which led to your site.

I have also found avoiding excess fiber extremely helpful for my own healing; consuming flax meal for chronic constipation was harming my gut, and making the constipation worse. Fiber is not for everyone; this site very helpful: http://www.gutsense.org/

Thanks for all you do to educate those suffering with digestive disorders.

christineschildmeyer August 7, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Hi, I have been on the scd diet since I found out about it and read Elaine Gottschall in September 2011. I have read lots of info on digestive probs. and also a lot of your advice on website and emails. It’s nice to know that I am not alone in my suffering. I was diagnosed with uc in 1990 and unfortunatly have been one of those who ended up having ‘the op.’ I have had a ‘J’ pouch for over ten years. Although you guys give lots of good advice…I am always thinking that as I have already had the op how much of it will apply to me. I wondered if you know of other scd’ers with a pouch that could give me any advice at all. Thanks for all the good work you do…it’s all very much appreciated. Chris xx

Steven Wright August 9, 2012 at 9:41 am

@Christine – It will totally apply to you. We have many poeple following our blog and SCD who have had various surgerys to take out most or some of their intestines. Turns out the surgery dosn’t cure them… Sad but we can’t cut this problem out. Food is either helping or hurting you. SCD will help, but most effecitve is creating your own custom diet. Because you did have the surgery it might mean you can no longer do dairy, eggs or nuts. I’m not sure and you won’t be until you test them. But that’s where I would start.

xania January 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Hi Guys – me again [SMILE]

Where can I find/purchase your menu plans for tough cases – I remember seeing it but I can’t find it… Doh’

Can’t wait to hear from you!

Xania

Jordan Reasoner January 16, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Hi Xania, you can get them here:

margarita March 2, 2013 at 11:27 am

hello

i found out your site just yesterday, yet I read very alternative but so to the point stuff. i already got for free the quick start guide. I want to know if between the 3 basic meals one can eat snacks? and since I am about to start the course, I really want to know if snacks are permitted straight from the intro phase, or are there strictly 3 meals?

thank you!

Steven Wright March 5, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Yes please eat as much as you like. No one should go hungry on SCD

DavidD March 15, 2013 at 4:47 am

i Have had problems with food intolerances for a long time, my intolerances are now severe and in the past three days i have been using a similar principle too this on here but with the low FODMAPS diet (At the minute minute im consuming typically two – three types of food max daily) . i have definetly seen big reductions in the amount of fatigue when eating and am able to enjoy atleast half my day whereas for a long time i have been struggling, but one principle i have too hit home on is the MEAT. For a long time i have been eating meat and quite frankly my body has not been able to digest it, even with digestive supplements containing betaine hcl etc or apple cider vinegar (i even have prolonged periods of fatigue with boiled white fish but not as bad as boiled chicken). I guess not everybody is at that same stage or level and depending on the severity of your condition (or what digestive problem it is) will depend where you start and how you start, four months ago i could have probably began using meat, unfortunately i didnt understand the damage i was doing by continuing to eat normal thus the condition has got worse. I think it would be awesome too hear your take on food intolerances steve/jordan and your experiences working with the problem, As believe it or not theres a lot of information regarding chrons etc on the net and UC yet malabsorption syndrome i dont think has been covered so well (atleast from what ive found). I was following the GAPS diet and i thought it was working, yet everyday the fatigue i was feeling was unbearable, as of recently Its nice too have actually seen some sort of results (the past three or four days using a similar principle to this) whereas for a long time i have been stuck and awfully frustrated. I think a lot of people with food intolerances should get tested for chemical sensitivity too, i have read up as of recently quite a few of the people with big intolerances coming out positive for metal toxicity etc. This article is awesome information and a good place too start for most though for most, thanks guys your helping a lot of people =) .

Sarah April 5, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I have *just* started with creating my “food safe zone.” Going through the immense amount of information out there can be overwhelming. It’s “okay” to cook sparingly with oils once you enter phase I, but if we’re only supposed to be adding one new thing every 4 days, would each oil count as its own thing? Each spice? My question is, how obsessive do I need to be when it comes to adding things back? It seems like being very strict about ONE thing at a time can save you time if you have a reaction…but could also mean it’s taking much longer to include a very basic amount of ingredients. Thoughts?

kahu July 10, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Is it ok to include condiments like salt, kelp, and cider vinegar, or do these to have to be officially reintroduced?thank you

Al Kero October 8, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Hi Steve I am very interested in doing this SCD…and also adding both digestive enzymes to my diet as well as Probiotics. I see you are very pro Acidopholous while I have read on other sites that Bfidum is the way to go…I’m confused ha-ha…can you advise from the SCD point of view?

Al Kero

maria December 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Am on the s c d diet not having much improvements waking up at night taking enzames I mix my meats w1b chicken morn lamb lunch beef tea is this right.
I can’t digest veg only veg I can have is corgettes liquidise am getting worried where am I going wrong am so desperate taking saccharomyces lactobacillus ,but when I take bifidobiotics my stomach worst I told my herbalists she said if I don’t take them I won’t get well bought your book can’t seem to follow it.

BOBBy January 17, 2014 at 9:56 am

One thing I totally disagree with most about steps in SCD is cooked fruit…

fruit is cooked by the sun and is pre-digested…yes the fiber can be an issue for some, but drinking pasteurized grape juice or apple cider early in the diet is a really bad thing to do…you are consuming dead food…once you cook food…its nutrition is 50% less at least…when you have gut irritation..you need raw juices and juicy fruit

think about it…whats the only food in nature people are most likely to eat raw? duh…fruit…its our primary food source, what we were designed to eat mostly

veggies, meats…all have their place if you choose to eat them…BUT think about it, you always have to cook them and season them to enjoy them…duh…not #1 ideal food source…

I know all about SIBO and Candida…and yes…until your flora is balanced you might need to cut back on high fructose fruits…but puree them or juice them…cooking them destroys enzymes and renders them useless

i did SCD for over a year with cooked fruits…and i was so gassy and the SIBO wouldnt go away…it dawned on me..i was eating dead foods…and dead foods dont heal as fast…so i started juicing and pureeing fruits…and then no gas!! and SIBO started going away (i was doing garlic pills and raw kefir as well)

i was keeping the enzymes in tact the way nature meant…i cant do SCD yoguart no matter what milk i use…why?? because u heat the milk…making it a dead food…

i do raw kefir and bam!!! success!!!…

raw is the way nature meant for us…you might have to modify until healed up..but raw is best always!

good luck

Brandt January 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

I feel like I’ve been eating too much protein and it makes me tired and sluggish. I’ve been doing the turkey sausage in the morning and it tastes great but I don’t think I digest it well. I just recently started strictly on the SCD diet though I have been eating gluten free for some time now. Everything still gives me gas so its frustrating to try to find a safe zone.

bijoux July 22, 2014 at 4:14 am

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Seldeom ddo I encounter a blog that’s both equally
educative and amusing, and let me tell you, you’ve hit the naul on the head.
The issue is something too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.
Now i’m very happy that I found this in my search for something
relating too this.

– bagues fantaisie
– bijopux fantaisie
– bijoux fantaisie
– bague
– bijoux ppas cher
– parrures

Gustoso July 27, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I mentioned this page on my article “How to recover after a flare” http://www.gustoso.com.au/blog/health-2/how-to-recover-after-a-flare/

Thanks guys. Excellent information on an important concept.

Monster Beats October 4, 2014 at 10:31 am

Can I simply just say what a relief to discover somebody that genuinely understands what they’re discussing on the internet.
You certainly realize how to bring an issue to
light and make it important. A lot more people need to look at this
and understand this side of the story. I was surprised you’re
not more popular because you definitely possess the gift.

AnaB October 8, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I have celiac and have been doing SCD on and off for about 8 yrs. I am always grain free and very limited dairy. I’ve tried to be dairy free but I don’t do as well with homemade almond or coconut milk for my smoothies (I used to use scd yogurt). I don’t have any major GI issues except bloating. I do have low T3 but no antibodies. I have trouble shaking these last 15 pounds and have pretty bad fatigue. I don’t think I feel any better since going dairy free. In fact I really miss my scd yogurt and kefir. I don’t really eat fruits or sweets. I use stevia. Not sure if the stevia is really good for me.

How do you know if you are better off consuming limited dairy? Is the trade off of having increased pufas from almond milk any healthier? If I’m going to have almonds, I’d rather save it for an almond flour pizza crust. My tummy is really rumbly if I have coconut milk too often (even homemade). Just trying to trouble shoot. Thanks so much!

Lori Jo Berg October 9, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Hi AnaB, thank you for reaching out! You are exactly correct that the almonds and coconut milk will contain polyunsaturated fatty acids which we know are inflammatory. We suggest listening to your body and if you seem to do fine with the SCD Dairy, go ahead and consume it, as it contains many beneficial strains of bacteria. You may also consider a one one consult with a practitioner to handle your low T3 levels. You can find one here if you do not currently have one: http://scdlifestyle.com/practitioners/

AnaB October 11, 2014 at 10:42 am

Thank you so much for responding! I am working with a practioner who is supportive and willing to learn. So far I am tolerating Thyrogold at the lowest dose and LDN is helpful. For the first time in my life, all my labs, even my adrenal saliva are in range (though I have gone from high cortisol to low normal so I may be on my way down) and my fatigue is still pretty bad.

What is your opinion on stevia and ketogenic version of SCD for energy and weightloss?

Jordan Reasoner October 13, 2014 at 5:49 pm

HI Ana! Stevia is not recommended on the SCD diet, as the most popular forms are highly processed and it can also help feed unhealthy bacteria in the gut due to it’s molecular structure. ketogenic diets may work for some, but they can be dangerous and we believe most people don’t need to take it that far to regain their health.

Frank October 11, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I have cystic fibrosis and was just diagnosed with UC because of bloody stools. I have a prescription for supplemental enzymes, which has always helped.

2.5 weeks on SCD, and results have been good. I had a 2-day period of no blood and no diarrhia! But now both symptoms are back (though not as bad) and it’s discouraging. I need to experiment with the four horsemen, but it’s so difficult! I need to keep my weight up because high weight correlates with good lung function… but how do I keep from losing weight if I cut out eggs, dairy (homemade cheesecake/yogurt), nuts, and fruits/honey??

Thanks for the information. SCD seems promising; my mental health even seems to have improved. I know it isn’t an immediate cure. I need to find this “food-safe zone” so I can start isolating food variables.

Lori Jo Berg October 13, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Hi Frank, thanks for reaching out! Calories are not restricted, so please eat as much as you need to to feel full. Also, this article may help: http://scdlifestyle.com/2013/04/5-real-food-weight-gain-shakes-paleo-scd/