SCD Lifestyle Solution Podcast #15: An Inspiring Crohns Story!

If you like what you hear, make sure you subscribe on iTunes.

This week on the show we were pleased to be joined by our friend Tiffany Reilly.  She had lifelong GI problems (they told her it was

IBS) until a hospital stay in which she learned it was actually Crohn’s disease.  After trying many combinations of conventional drugs she found the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and decided to give it a shot.

She had to overcome several large obstacles along the way.  For instance she couldn’t even go shopping to get the food to start the diet she was so sick!  After that she had to learn to cook from scratch and then she made a brave decision against her doctors wishes to stop taking Pentasa.

Now just over 6 months since she started, she’s converted her entire family over, including her young son.  Not only that but she is the owner of the SCD Support Group on Facebook and also moderates on other Crohn’s and Colitis discussion boards.  I think you are going to find her story inspiring and her unique experience helping others on a daily basis very value added.

1:13 Tiffany shares her story

7:01 Her experience starting SCD

13:00 Tiffany’s decision to stop Pentasa

22:54 The #1 problem she hears from others about SCD

28:43 Learning to cook should be fun

35:30 Should your family and kids do SCD?

43:28 Her #1 piece of advice for SCD

Play

Thanks to everyone for the questions, keep them coming!  We will start answering them soon, if you haven’t submitted your questions take a moment and go here.

If you are anything at all like Tiffany or us and are looking for a source to teach you how to cook natural foods, look no further than our book!  One of our biggest goals for the book was to make sure we covered the cooking in depth to save others time, money and embarrassment.  Go here to learn more.

Kristin January 28, 2011 at 11:01 pm

I loved the discussion about putting the whole family on the SCD! I’ve asked about that several times in the SCD community and was always met with “why would you want to do that? It’s so much work!” My instincts told me this was such a healthy way to feed my family but I found so many ways to talk myself out of it! Thank you for confirming that it can, and maybe should (?) be done, and may actually make my life easier :)

Jordan Reasoner February 2, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Hey Kristin,

Thanks for the good words – love the feedback. Let us know how you’re family likes it, maybe they will even feel a little better too!

~ Jordan

Alyssa Davis January 29, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Hi, I especially like this podcast, number 15. I wanted to say I started the diet in June 2010, last year, the same time as Tiffany. I also have Crohn’s. I have been on it six/seven months. I am off all oral medication and still feeling great, but I am taking infusions of a drug called remicade every eight weeks. I would love to start weaning myself off soon. I’ve been nervous about it. I hate conflict, and I know my doctor will be against
it.
Tiffany has given me more courage. I have been taking Remicade since the end of May. My next treatment is in March. I don’t experience side effects, thank goodness, but I worry about what the drug could be doing to my body in the long run.
Also a week after the first treatment I took of Remicade, I collapsed with horrid pain in a parking lot. My intestines ruptured. I had surgery a few days later and another a few days after the first. The first was to go in and cut out the ruptured part. My abdomen was left open in intensive care, and I was left asleep with a sort of sponge in my abdomen. A couple of days later I was closed but not reconnected. I had a colostomy for two months. It was not a great experience. I am still not completely convinced, Remicade didn’t help me into the hospital.
I started the diet right after I left the hospital in June. In august, I was reconnected inside so to speak. No more colostomy. I immediately researched diet, found info on SCD, and began the diet the day after I read about it too, before the book BTVC arrived . I just told my family who were helping take care of me, “I want to do this”. It just felt right. I’ve never been able to adhere to a diet for weight before, but after I read about SCD, something just clicked, and I said I’m going to do this. I honestly think I had help from a higher power. Like I said, I just suddenly had the power to completely change my diet out of no where. I know I never wanted to end up in the hospital again if I could help it though. Anyway, sorry to leave such a long comment, just felt like sharing some of my story. I have had crohn’s for about eight years. I wish I would have learned of the diet sooner. Thank you so much for your podcasts. I sent an email to you guys too, that I was trying to start a University Organization for people with digestive problems, and I want to introduce members and more to scd. :) I cannot wait to start having meetings!! I think the word on SCD needs very much to be spread.

Jordan Reasoner February 2, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Hi Alyssa – thanks so much for sharing your story, you are amazing.

Sent you a reply, look forward to hearing more about the incredible things you are accomplishing. Stay in touch and let us know how you’re doing.

~ Jordan

Teresa February 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Hi Jordan & Steve & Tiffany,

Did one of you say you got rid of the gelatin for a bit? If so, why, and do you know if it was bovine, pig, horse or fish derived gelatin?

Thanks and keep up the great podcasts!

Jordan Reasoner February 2, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Hi Teresa!

I think the real reason I had a problem with the gelatin was the sugar content of the grape juice. Try eating it without all the sugar and see what happens.

~ Jordan

Julie February 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hey Jordan and Steve – Thx for Tiffany’s story. SCD has been the same for my son and myself, Crohn’s & Ulcerative Colitis. He’s been healthy on the diet for over 2 years, and I recovered from my new diagnosis and a one month hospital stay by starting SCD IN THE HOSPITAL! I weaned myself off steroids and Remicade and am doing great. We have made my sons’ GI doctor and my GI doctor BELIEVERS! Our whole family is on the SCD and my daughter’s asthma went away with this diet! Keep up the great work spreading the word!
Julie

Tiffany February 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Hi Kristin! I’m so glad you’re thinking of moving the family on SCD! I felt it was a very healthy diet for my little guy. I can’t remember if I mentioned this or not on the podcast, but his doctor was concerned last year because he kind of fell off the growth charts. I’m happy to report that since he started, he’s gained 2 pounds plus I can tell he’s grown some as his pants are getting the “high water look”..lol! He goes back for his yearly appt in 2 months so we’ll see :)

Tiffany February 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Alyssa-the way you came to SCD sounds so similar to my experience! I’m so glad you found SCD and are doing so much better with everything. Good luck with your organization..it will definitely help to get the SCD word on the street ;)
Hugs!

Julie February 3, 2011 at 1:11 am

Jordan, Steve and Tiffany – I was just thinking about what Tiffany said during her podcast…she still can’t eat certain foods on the SCD, like apple, butternut squash, etc. Have you done the blood antibody test for food sensitivity – It’s a “Basic” and “Extended” Food Panel that tells you what foods you have a low, moderate or high (avoid) reaction to. This test along with the SCD keeps me healthy. I know it works from many experiences, both mine and my sons! I still do a food journal, but this test has saved me from getting really ill again!

Christina February 18, 2011 at 9:32 am

Hi, I’m on a diet 29 days. By this time I took prednisone 40 g + 4 g asakol. 2 days ago when added 2g asakol + probiotics – a better (2-4 times) in Bath. I canceled today enemas because she thought that she (foam) and inflates me rot gut. all day today and feel gas. In addition, the dinner was 3 times in the tub. + Cough and cold added and I added Injectables against cough. Injectables Can cause gas and increase my seats?
3 day/ when I added a banana.

Jordan Reasoner February 20, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Hi Christina,

Keep working at it. Probiotics will definitely help, and so will digestive enzymes. Hang in there and build your food safe zone and the inflammation will calm down.

Lori February 24, 2011 at 10:05 am

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for all that you do! You are undoubtedly helping so many people with their health, and there is nothing more important than that!

I was just wondering where I can find Tiffany’s facebook page? There are several IBD pages…not sure which is hers.

Thanks sooooooooooo much!!!!
Lori

Jordan Reasoner March 10, 2011 at 11:11 am

Hi Lori – thanks so much for the kind words!

Here’s the link to the Facebook group the Tiffany talked about: http://www.facebook.com/pages/SCD-Support-Group/130833110312758

Enjoy,

Kristin April 17, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Hi All!
Sorry this comment is a bit late, but what was the natural anti-inflammatory supplement that Tiffany started taking? I could not understand what she said in the podcast.
Thanks!