The Top 3 Lies We Tell Ourselves About the SCD Diet

How many are you guilty of right now?

1: “I tried the SCD diet and it didn’t work… except I still had chocolate, Coke®, and ice cream every once in a while.”

This can also be worded as, “I just have this cheat once a day and it’s not enough to make a difference.”

People justify everything imaginable – including having pizza once a month while trying to heal a digestive disease, because “I just can’t live without it.” The reality is that those same people don’t want to live with their digestive disease either. They miss work because they are sick, they can’t take good care of their kids, and their lives are frequently spent inside the house – very close to a bathroom.

I get frustrated when people tell me that they want to take control of their health, but the words don’t mean anything. In the background, the disease still controls them and they can’t stop eating the toxic foods that brought the disease out in the first place. Why? Because it feels good to drink the pop? Maybe. Maybe the sugar high feels good for 5 minutes, but the next three hours of hell just can’t be worth it. They want help “healing” and “getting off the meds” even though they still can’t handle cutting out the pop for 30 days to watch the diet work.

Solution: If you aren’t willing to give the diet 30 days to really work, then you aren’t ready to take control of your health. “Practice change” for a while. Eat SCD legal a few days a week, maybe three days in a row, and think about how much better you feel during that time. Then, when you are ready to own your body and take control of your health – download our free guide and start the diet for real.

2: “The SCD Diet is only for stay at home Moms… I don’t have time for this.”

How much time do these people waste in a day feeling bad? What if they could spend that same amount of time making food for a few days and not feel bad? Would they still do it?

The answer is probably not. These are the people that are not at an emotional breaking point and ready to start feeling better. Human beings can do incredible things when they are forced to make a change. Think about it, humans can take care of little babies and nurture them into healthy young adults. They can work 2 jobs just to keep the lights on, but very sick people can’t make the time to make food that is going to stop the terrible symptoms that control their lives?

Solution: People that are not ready to take control of their health won’t. Are you ready? The simple idea here is that change takes work, but just one little step to get started. That first step is actually just making a decision – the decision to take control of your health. Can you finally make that decision, instead of constantly letting your disease decide things for you… like when you can leave the house, how far you can travel, and if you can go to that movie you have been wanting to see? Make a decision for yourself, decide to take control.

3: “Nothing is working, I am never going to get better.”

We have been trained to have negative thoughts since we were kids. Think about it, how many times did your parents build your boundaries? How many times did they say, “No, don’t do that. No, put that down. No, don’t do this.” We have all learned our boundaries growing up – we are given a box to function within that is “acceptable.”

The SCD diet has the same thing. There is a box around it, with rigid dos and don’ts. That might be why many people like it, but it’s also why many people struggle with it and get intimidated. Is the glass really half empty? Is the diet really going to make me better? What if it doesn’t work?

What if it does? What if it works and you never have to carry toilet paper around in your purse anymore “just in case?” What if it works and you don’t have to take steroids anymore? What if six months from now you are the “old you” and you laugh thinking back to how sick you were?

Solution: The SCD diet is not a box. It’s not the same for everyone. There are some boundaries, but you have to learn how the diet works best for your body. You have to spend the time “tweaking” the SCD diet to find out the custom fit for your body. It’s not cookie cutter, it’s not simple. It’s not one size fits all. However, it is going to work – but only if you work with your body to form fit it to heal your particular gut.

It’s going to take some work, but when you get there it’s just plain awesome! If you need some more help “tweaking” the SCD Diet and building a custom diet that is going to heal your gut, then check out our eBook “SCD Lifestyle – Surviving to Thriving,” which shows you how to introduce a foundation of foods to build your healing upon, and allows you to find the custom version of the SCD Diet for your body.

What are your thoughts?

-Jordan

Joslyn October 30, 2010 at 11:14 pm

can I get an “Amen!” was nodding my head the entire time reading this. I’ve only been on the diet since Aug 14 but I feel better than I have in years. Obviously, something is working.

Anne-Marie Barbour October 30, 2010 at 11:57 pm

Again, awesome and inspiring article, Jordan and Steve. Elaine said “Fanatical Adherence” to SCD – that understandably scares some people – no-one wants to be a Fanatic – but, without 100% adherence the biochemistry doesn’t work and you are not doing SCD. KISS (Keep it simple, Sister:-)

Tracee October 31, 2010 at 11:00 am

Very Good article!!!

Zoe October 31, 2010 at 12:01 pm

My greatest failing with this diet is when I don’t have enough take along food with me to last throughout the day.
Consider too, that stressing how hard it is may be overwhelming and discouraging some who are trying the diet. More focus on how easy it can be, with recipes that you’ve verified are healthy and nutritious, might give the support some need to stay with the diet. Give the nutritional information with any posted recipes, so folks know they are safe and healthy.

Steven Wright October 31, 2010 at 3:58 pm

@ Joslyn – Thanks for the comment! We are really happy to hear you are feeling so good!

@Ann-Marie – Thank You so much for the kind words! Your right Elaine knew that in order to get results 98% just won’t cut it!

K.I.S.S. is a great point! SCD can be as easy as you want to make it! The healing road has been paved by many, people just need to be willing to do what it takes to follow the success stories of the people before them!

@Tracee – Thanks!

Steven Wright October 31, 2010 at 4:04 pm

@ Zoe – Hi thanks for the comment, if your having trouble getting enough food, I would suggest you start cooking in bigger batches. I usually try to cook enough food for at least 2 meals sometimes enough for 4!

The SCD is just like any other thing you want in this life, it takes work to get the results you want. It is easy because there are so many great resources out there to guide you on how to do it, we also created our book for this purpose.

The best part about SCD recipes is that they are always safe and 99% of the time are a great balanced meal because we are using the natural, easy to digest foods. So there is no need to worry about safety, if your concerned about calories, I would encourage you to sign up for http://www.fitday.com to track your diet! Take care and thanks for stopping by!

Jenn November 1, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I have been working with the diet for 2 months now for my young daughter. She gets really sad now and then, especially when a holiday comes like last night, Halloween. I feel really bad for her, deprivation at her age is really tough. I feel like giving it up sometimes.

Steven Wright November 9, 2010 at 6:28 pm

@ Jenn – I’m sorry to hear that, but I would like you to challenge you to look at in a different light. What if it really isn’t deprivation? I mean I’m guessing since you are still on the diet it must be working? So in that regard your making the choice to not deprive her from her health.

The only part of Halloween that us SCD’ers cannot participate in revolves around candy. There is still plenty of fun to be had with Halloween and there are tons of SCD legal goodies to make her if you think she is missing out on the tradition of overloading our kids with massive amounts of sugar.

All I’m trying to say is that if the choice is being 100% engaged in a western holiday or my kids health, I’ll take health with an 80% participation rate. This diet is only as limiting as you make it in your head.

Thanks for commenting and I hope your daughter is finding the success she needs on the diet. If not please email me and I would be more than happy to help out where I can.

Lisa April 22, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Hi guys,

I just found your site and I’m loving it. I’ve been following SCD for two years now and it’s given me my life back. I have a baby daughter who I’m thoroughly enjoying and I’m even running a marathon next weekend. It’s so encouraging to see others promoting the SCD diet and offering support to those suffering from IBD. Keep up the great work!!

Lisa

Jordan Reasoner May 4, 2011 at 12:09 am

Thanks Lisa!

Alyse Giancola May 24, 2011 at 7:04 am

Hi Guys…Can’t believe it’s taken me so long to find your website! I’m almost driven to tears to hear all the people dealing with the same issues I am. I have been on the diet for 3 1/2 years now. Fanatical Adherence for the 1st year and slowly slipping adding way too many things back and I am definitely paying the price. Actually running to the bathroom while typing this… 🙁 Anyway, made up my mind to go back 100% and get back too where I was…pain and med free for the 1st time in my life!!! I will be on the site everyday for inspiration…and recipes of course! My husband is amazing and did all the research, begged me to start the diet and now does it with me. Changed my life forever.

Small suggestion/request….I’m not sure if it is already on the site somewhere, but the book was written quite some time ago and there are new products on the market that help make things a little easier such as the greek yogurt (with supplements of course). How about an article on that?

I can go on and on…but I really have to go to work, LOL. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK AND THANK YOU!!!

Jordan Reasoner June 16, 2011 at 9:04 am

@ Alyse,

Thanks for sharing your story – you are amazing! Keep working hard and taking control of your health. You and you’re husband rock! I appreciate the suggestion, keep ’em coming.

Let us know how things are going,

Rebecca Efrem January 7, 2013 at 5:59 pm

I don’t have any BM issues (diarrhea or constipation) like everyone else (which makes me wonder at times if SCD is right for me) but i’ve been getting nausea, indigestion, bloating, and fatigue towards almost everything I eat for the past year. So I started the SCD diet 9 days ago and I don’t feel that much better. I’ve been gluten and dairy free for a couple of months now and that’s helped, but I still feel nauseated on a daily basis. Maybe it’s the sugary fruits. But even the carrots make me sorta sick! The meats do too so i’m suspecting I may be having trouble digesting the fat or protein. I ordered the GI Prohealth Scdophius to help out with that. But I respond well to eggs..so maybe it’s not protein? I’m only eating carrots,eggs,gelatin,fish,turkey, chicken, and squash right now so i’m really confused as to why I still feel sick. I am getting really discouraged and i’m pretty desperate..help!

Anita January 6, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Hi guys!

I am blessed to have found your site and your encouragement. My teen and I have just started our journey. I am doing this for her, so that she can get past her flare and be able to live as symptom-free as possible.
I understand Jenn’s anguish. As a mother, it’s hard when your child begs to eat food that her friends do. And with teens, they try to sneak things. But getting her healthy is our first priority.

Eyal Hargil July 12, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Hi!
I would like to ask if i can drink Diet Sprite. It contains aspartame and acesulfame k. I read that aspartame is scd legal. What about acesulfame k? I know its not healthy but somtimes I have to drink somthing else and not water.
THANKS,
EYAL

Mariel Heiss July 13, 2015 at 11:54 am

Hi Eyal, thanks for reaching out to us! Aspartame-sweetened drinks are allowed once a week according to SCD if you’re symptom free. You can learn more about SCD legal and illegal foods here: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/detail/diet-and-sports-soft-drinks/ However, SCD is about building a custom plan that works for you. We don’t recommend the use use of any artifical sweeteners. I hope this helps to answer your question 🙂 We recommend coffee or tea (unflavored) and sparkling water.