The SCD Lifestyle Solution Podcast #4: How We Transitioned Out of the Intro Diet and Added New Foods

If you like what you hear, make sure you subscribe on iTunes (Don’t forget to rate us on iTunes – Thanks!)

We again had the pleasure of having Matt Robinson from Natural Digestive Healing join us on the podcast this week as we tackled the topic of “How We Transitioned Out of the Intro Diet and Added New Foods.” This is a topic that we get quite a few questions about and for the most part, a lot of people do more bad than good when they embark on their “SCD Legal” adventure.

If you are thinking about starting the diet and want to know what it’s like to transition out of the intro diet, then you need to listen to this podcast to find out what we would do if we could go back and start over. Also, if you have been on the diet for a while and still aren’t happy with the way you feel on the diet, then you need to listen to this podcast to hear the lessons we learned the hard way.

If you have a question for us about the SCD Diet for us, go down to the bottom of the post and add a comment with your question. Or feel free to email us at [email protected].

On This Podcast, We Cover:

0:36 How did you transition out of the intro diet? What foods did you add first and how did they affect you?

8:19 How long did it take for you to see a change in symptoms?

15:15 “I didn’t know about delayed food reactions when I first started the diet”

19:30 How do you introduce a new food to know if it’s ok?

22:30 How would you transition out of the intro diet if you could go back and do it again?

29:20 Round-table: What advice would you give someone that is transitioning out of the intro diet right now?

Play

In the podcast I mentioned using the “SCD Phasing Charts” to systematically add foods that are easier to digest in the beginning to help heal faster. If you don’t have your free copy yet and want to try them out, click the link to enter your name and email and get your copy today: SCD Phasing Charts.

Also, if you want to learn more about transitioning out of the intro diet so that you can heal as quickly as possible – we have a whole 30-page chapter devoted to it in our eBook that shows you how to introduce new foods, including 3 weeks of sample menus to make sure you feel better on this diet. For more info go to http://www.scdlifestylebook.com.

On the podcast, Matt brought up a great point about fructose and the problems it can cause as we are just starting out the diet. If you want to learn more about fructose, check out Matt’s awesome post on it, “The Danger’s of Fructose” or an article we did on it a while back, “Why Fructose Malabsorption Causes Gas, Cramping, and Diarrhea and How to Beat It”.

Enjoy and here’s to good health!

-Jordan

Jon October 20, 2010 at 11:12 am

Fine show. It’s hard to figure out when and how to move on. Thankfully, I haven’t tired of eating squash. I was reading on the GAPS diet to eat fruit as snacks between meals. I’ve been trying that as well to see if it will help me.

Steve October 20, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hi Jon – Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Moving forward on the diet can be challenging, but I just want to make sure we are both talking about after the intro diet. No one should ever stay on the intro diet more than 5 days.

Eating fruit separate from other foods does help some people. Just keep it in moderation and you should be good.

Let us know if there is something you would like to hear about in a future podcast, Thanks!

Dylan October 20, 2010 at 12:22 pm

Hi guys, I love listening to your show every week, it is very well done and helpful to me. I also would love to have you guys do an audiobook version of your book when you have time.

I started the intro diet around the first of October and I don’t really have that noticeable change in my times to the bathroom yet but there seems to be a better feeling I have overall.

I have been on the chicken/carrot soup now every day for over 2 weeks. All I have added is 2 sirloin burger patties every dinner, and sometimes I put fresh spinach into the soup. At first I put dry curd cottage cheese in it as well but haven’t done that for a week. I make all my soup in a slow cooker on high for about 6 hours, then put in blender and put back in slow cooker and leave on low all day so I can eat instantly whenever I am hungry which is all the time basically.

I tried a burger soup one time and it was very very good. I just took 5 frozen sirloin burgers put them in the slow cooker for 6 hours or so with water and salt then into blender and back and pour out into my cup. I liked it better then the chicken soup actually and will make more soon.

Things I sometimes add to the diet are 1 medium piece of old cheddar every 2 or 3 days, fresh salmon fillet that I had last night, Cilantro fried in with my burgers, sea salt and little black pepper.

I am thinking I should stay on just the chicken soup, burger patties (intro) diet longer as I still have same about 10+ times to bathroom per 24 hour period.

My advice that I would say is usually most noticeable is do not drink within an hour of eating the soup or burger patties or after 9pm or so. If you do you will go to the bathroom more, and or you will have to wake up 4-5 times all during the night as well. If you don’t drink after 9pm or so you may be able to sleep all night without waking up for bathroom break.

Also I am thinking maybe taking out the carrots could be an experiment someone else could try when they first start the diet as even carrots I know are high in natural sugars and may not be as good a thing to be on the scd diet as many may think. I just made a soup yesterday with no carrots at all, just chicken so will see if it helps at all.

Also even though I am now addicted to the welches grape juice and water it down, I don’t think it is a good idea. I think plain water with some squirts of lemon is better and has no type of sugar in it like welches grape. Same idea with the apple cider, I don’t know if it is a good idea even though I had 2 litres of it in first couple days of diet.

I just bought a yogurt maker and took the last day and a half to make my first batch and tried it for the first time this morning and it tasted good, I will know later if it puts me in the bathroom more or not.

Steve October 20, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Hey Dylan – Thanks for listening and commenting, stay tuned we are toying with the idea of releasing an audio version of the book.

I wanted to offer some advice to but also to anyone else who may be in your shoes. The intro diet (or starter diet) is very useful tool but it seems to cause some confusion. Depending on what level of health you start from you may or may not relieve your digestive symptoms using the intro diet foods. This was something we maybe should have made a bigger point of talking about, Matt’s story vs. Mine is prime example. It took Matt much longer to start seeing a reduction in bathroom trips than it did me.

The point I want to make is sometimes it is counter intuitive but actually health gains are made once you start carefully and moderately adding foods after the intro diet. I would urge you to stop eating so much chicken soup and start eating more whole foods such as the burgers, pork, and salmon. I would also urge you to try some new veggies, such as spinach, squash or mushrooms.

Try and keep the juice to a minimum and also try adding some fruits such as apple or pears. Don’t worry about when you add the different meats, just get them into your diet. When it comes to the fruit and veggies, add one new variable every 3 to 4 days.

Keep monitoring your symptoms in case they get worse, but my thoughts are they probably won’t. Also I would stop the DCCC and cheese until you’ve added more of the generally safer vegetables and fruits.

I would also encourage you to try some digestive enzymes if your not using them already. Good luck with the yogurt, if you react remember it could be caused by several things such as the milk, starter culture and or die-off because of the new good bacteria you are adding into your body.

Dylan October 20, 2010 at 2:16 pm

Oh I forgot, I also had some very ripe bananas on a few of the days in the last 2+ weeks, about 3 very ripe skinned and seeded pears on one day a week ago, and some eggs too but haven’t had eggs for over a week now. Will have some eggs again today probably.

Sherry October 20, 2010 at 3:21 pm

This is a great website. I just discovered it. I started SCD in October of 2000. Hard to believe it’s been 10 years. I have been in remission and off medication the whole time.

Food is difficult, because different people react to different things, even if they are SCD legal. I cannot eat raw onions or garlic. I also can’t eat radishes, or basically anything spicy.

I just started a blog about my experience in transitioning off and then back to SCD – and basically keeping SCD at 90 – 95% of my diet. It’s amazing all the hidden ingredients in foods.

As far as transitioning off the intro – I basically kept things very simple for a long time. Proteins and cooked vegetables. I didn’t really have trouble with fruits ever, and salads have always pretty much been fine.

Dylan October 21, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Hi again Steve, thanks for the advice, I will try what you mentioned. I like butternut squash but haven’t had it yet since I started at the first of October as I thought that may have too much natural sugars in it.
I forgot another thing I have been having was ripe avocados every 3 or 4 days but then I was reading I should not have had those until after a month or so. I am beginning to understand why so many people can’t endure very long on this diet due to how complicated this diet can become. I am determined to though even though I may make mistakes during it as it is my last option that I know of which exists other then me going on steroids that the GI wants me to use and I said forget that.

Steve October 29, 2010 at 10:46 am

@ Sherry – Hi thanks for stopping by and commenting we really appreciate it, your story is awesome! What is the address of your blog? I would love to check it out and support you! Thanks for your advice to everyone!

Steve October 29, 2010 at 10:49 am

@ Dylan – I would actually encourage you to keep eating the avocados, unless you are having a bad response to them. But if you have already introduced them and found them to be okay there is no need to restrict yourself from them. The diet can be complicated, that is why we created the free guide and our book, have they helped you out? If not is there something we can do to make them better? Good Luck man hang in there your dedication to feeling better is something that all of us should strive to emulate!