The SCD Lifestyle Solution Podcast #3: How We Survived the Intro Diet

If you like what you hear, make sure you subscribe on iTunes. (Don’t forget to rate us. Thanks!)

This week, Matt Robinson is back and he helped us make this the best podcast yet as we dive into “How We Survived the Intro Diet”! Oh yea, and Matt has moved his blog and it is better than ever. So, make sure to stop by at Natural Digestive Healing and check it out. If you are thinking about starting the diet or getting ready to do the intro diet, then you need to listen to this podcast. Also, if you have been on the diet for a while and are thinking about rebooting with the intro diet, then you need to listen to this podcast.

If you have a question for us about the SCD Diet, go down to the bottom of the post and add a comment with your question, or feel free to email us at [email protected] We would love to spend an entire podcast just answering questions about what people want to know about, so here’s your chance…

On This Podcast, We Cover:

0:56 How did you go about executing the intro diet? What did you eat?

11:05 How to get past the “what to eat for breakfast problem…”

12:40 What about doing the yogurt during the intro diet?

16:00 How do you deal with the emotional challenge of needing variety during the intro diet?

27:00 Psychology is 80% of the SCD Intro Diet…

29:10 What was die-off like and how did you deal with it?

31:00 How do you deal with the fear that you aren’t getting enough calories to survive?

40:00 Knowing what you know now, how would you go back and do the intro diet over again to make it a better experience?

Play

On the podcast, I mentioned that I would post a couple follow up things for people… here they are:

My Turkey Sausage Recipe

• 4 Lbs of Ground Turkey
  • 3 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 2 Tbsp. Water
  • 2 Pinches of Thyme
  • 2 Pinches of Black Pepper

I roll the 4 lbs. of ground turkey into a long tube on a pan, on foil. Then, I add the water, salt, and spice. The important thing is to knead everything into the meat and then make it into a perfect log. Next, wrap the foil around the log and poke holes throughout. Bake it at 300°F for about 2 hours and check the temperature. Cut the log into patties and freeze them for a great breakfast treat. This makes around a dozen 6 ounce patties.

The “Die Off” Salt Water Drink:

* 1/4 teaspoon salt dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water. Drink 12-16 oz pure water immediately afterward.

* Repeat every hour or so based on how well it helps you feel better…

Enjoy!

-Jordan

Kim October 12, 2010 at 8:00 pm

I made the “sausage” with ground chicken and turkey and just cooked it in a pot without rolling it…just breaking it up. My oldest son and I are doing the diet. He liked it and even my youngest ate it and he won’t try most of the things I make.

Jordan Reasoner October 12, 2010 at 8:06 pm

@ Kim – That’s really cool, thanks for the quick meal idea! Glad the kids liked it…

Wendy October 12, 2010 at 9:16 pm

If you did it all over again, would you pig-out the night before starting the diet? Just trying to decide if it is worth it. Thanks!

Jordan Reasoner October 12, 2010 at 9:35 pm

@ Wendy – I definitely wouldn’t pig out the night before… I didn’t do it the first time around and I wouldn’t do it the second time around… I don’t know about Matt and Steve though, they said they both did it the first time around. I guess it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it to have one last punishing goodbye! Ha-ha.

Dylan October 13, 2010 at 9:44 am

Thanks for making the podcasts they are very very useful, just to listen to you guys give personal experiences is very encouraging for my education in this. I am really hoping this scd diet will work for “uc” . I am like a week into it now and not seeing any changes yet but I am eating a whole lot of chicken and carrot soup with dry cottage cheese sometimes, sirloin burger patties and welchs grape juice. I actually stopped the welchs grape juice now because I think there is just too much sugar in the stuff and it appears to increase my still high numbers to the washroom every day and night, I really don’t get why it is allowed by Elaine.

Jordan Reasoner October 13, 2010 at 10:04 am

@ Dylan – that’s a great point, the welch’s has tons of sugar in it and fructose can really be hard on the digestive system as well as the liver when it gets that high… you are smart to find that tweak was needed for your body. It can really hinder some people’s results in the beginning of the diet. Keep pushing man, if you’re still not getting great results try taking a break from eggs for a few days and do a breakfast sausage or something meat based instead. Another option is to try going dairy free for a few days and see how it goes. Either way keep tweaking it for your body… if you are not happy with how it’s going just keep pushing and figuring out what will work for your body. You rock man! Thanks for the support and kind words… keep us posted on how you are doing.

Phyllis Byard March 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm

This is my second day of the Intro diet. Following your book. Chicken soup, pureed carrots, welch’s gelatin. I was doing a “sort of” elim diet for 3 weeks prior and ate eggs and gf bacon for breakfast, and broccoli and beef for the other meals. Salt and pepper and the last week, horseradish and some small bits of garlic. That third week I added dates (needed a different taste) and some frozen peas and frozen green beans. I had gone off all grains for the two weeks prior to that, so the Into diet is just another phase of all this. Boring! I, too, have lost weight which I’m thrilled about, but of course don’t want to lose too much. Because I was limiting my food before, I don’t think I’m experiencing the intense symptoms of die off although I haven’t slept well for two night and have some aches and pains. I guess I’ll keep slogging along and see where this all leads me. I plan to start Phase 1 in two days, starting with variations in meat, then vegetables and later fruit.
Thanks for the podcast, it was helpful.

Jordan Reasoner March 10, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thanks Phyllis and great work! Every intro diet story is a little different, it’s pretty amazing.

It sounds like you are doing well managing the cravings/variety and I look forward to hearing an update.

Keep in touch,

Eva June 28, 2011 at 6:58 am

Hi! I have a question about the intro diet. Can I eat much fat during this period, to be sure to not lose much weight (I easy do)? And what kind of fat is best and easist to digest, can I use coconut oil during the intro diet? I also wonder about variation in the diet. Some people, like nutricians, tell me that I might develop intolerances and allergies if I eat the same foods too often. I dont´t eat meat and chicken, but I eat different kind of fish, nuts, (dairy), eggs (sometimes 5-6 per day) as protein sources. What is your opinion on this? I guess this is more of a problem as long as you have a damaged intestine and by healing the gut with SCD this problem will disappear? Regards /Eva

Mickey July 27, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I have your intro, phase 1, phase 2, etc. download….thank you. I have gotten to phase 1ish, sort of phase 2 and how long do you stay on each phase? Do you just keep adding the descending list of foods until you are ok or not with each one? I seems as if it will take a pretty long time to add one item at a time. I know you kind of have to so you know which foods are ok, just making sure I am following the correct procedure. I had very good results with the intro, I had a whole day without even going to the john….:-) Of course I have not had a normal movement since the onset of my collagenous colitis April 1st, 2012.
Thanks for any info,
Mickey

Katalin March 30, 2013 at 3:55 pm

is this aluminium foil? cuz i’ve heard that can cause alzheimer’s.