Why Fructose Malabsorption Causes Gas, Cramping, and Diarrhea and How to Beat It

Fructose Malabsorption can cause gas, cramping and diarrhea.  If you have any of these symptoms than this is probably the most important article you will ever read.  When I first learned about Fructose Malabsorption (FM) and realized that the horrible gas, cramping, and diarrhea was from the sugar in the fruit I was eating… I had no idea what to do about it.  In this article I am going to explain what I learned about FM and how it caused my symptoms.  I’m also going to share how I stopped my symptoms and ended the cycle of FM.  If you follow along and learn what I share with you about FM you can follow the same steps that I used to stop your diarrhea, gas, and cramping.

What is Fructose Malabsorption?

Fructose Malabsorption really just means… not being able to absorb fructose.  Fructose is a form of sugar and readily available in almost everything we eat, including fruit and vegetables.  Both fructose and glucose are different forms of sugar and they are in the most simple form… but that’s the tricky part.  Both forms of sugar require no digesting at all, they are already broken down into the most simple form for the body to soak right up.  There in lies the problem behind fructose malabsorption, the fructose is not being soaked right up into the body.

When fructose doesn’t get soaked right up into the bloodstream through the intestinal wall like it’s supposed to, it is shipped further down the bowels and gobbled up by hungry bad bacteria.  When the bad bacteria eat they make by-products such as methane and hydrogen gas that cause bloating, cramping, gas, diarrhea, and wicked bad breath.  In fact, there is a test for Fructose Malabsorption that measures the level of hydrogen in the breath.  This is because the bad bacteria release hydrogen after digesting fructose which gets absorbed into the blood stream and removed by the lungs, finally expelled from the body through the breath.

So Why Can’t The Body Soak Up Fructose?

There are several scenarios that would prevent the body from soaking up fructose.  The first is a genetic disease that is hereditary and does not allow the body to deal with fructose, which is very rare.  If there isn’t a genetic defect behind all this there are really only three things that could be going on.  The bowels could just be moving way to slow in which case the fructose sits around not getting absorbed, allowing bad bacteria to feast on it, but this is also pretty rare for the small intestine (constipation takes place further along in the intestinal tract).  The 2nd thing that could be going on is the GLUT5 and GLUT2 transporters could be deficient.  GLUT5 and GLUT2 transporters are little escorts that guide the fructose across the intestinal wall and into the blood.  If they are not around to escort the fructose it cannot be absorbed.  This too has been found to be somewhat rare.  The 3rd and more likely scenario is that small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is in full swing and the bad bacteria are gobbling up the fructose in the small intestine before it has a chance to be escorted to the blood stream in the first place.

This is what was going on in my case.  All the sugar I was consuming was being feasted on by severe small intestinal

End the gas and bad breath!

bacterial overgrowth which was causing me horrible gas, cramping, diarrhea, and unbelievable bad breath.  The only way to stop this out of whack cycle that is causing the bacterial overgrowth and digestive unrest is (i) to stop eating sugars temporarily to starve out the bacteria and (ii) only eat things that the body can easily absorb to replace the nutrients you need to heal.

That’s where the SCD Diet comes in and accomplishes both of those things by eliminating complex carbohydrates (sugars, starches, and grains) and providing simple foods so the body can replenish the nutrients and begin to heal.  I had already been on the SCD Diet when I was experiencing really strong symptoms of FM and decided to go even lower with my fruit/honey intake (I was binge eating on SCD Legal fruits all day long).  Once I stopped the fruit I was able to break the cycle and kill off the bacteria… within a few days of a lower fruit version of the SCD diet my fructose malabsorption issues were gone and I could slowly bring the fruit back in (this time keep it in moderation).

Without the SCD diet I would have never been able to pinpoint that my bacterial overgrowth symptoms were related to fructose.  Being on the diet assured me that none of  my symptoms were related to any other food allergies or intolerance’s.  That is most likely why I had such dramatic results the first day I stopped eating fruit.  If I was eating complex grains, sugars or starches I would have had to eliminate each one slowly until I figured out the answer… which would have taken months to connect the problem (FM) to the amount of fruit I was eating.  The SCD Diet once again showed me new levels of health I didn’t realize were possible, so I really hope that if you have any digestive problems at all that you give it a shot!  Ready to get started?

So How Do I Properly Start the SCD Diet Anyways?

Here’s a 3 step process to properly start the SCD Diet and stop the gas, cramping, and diarrhea from fructose malabsorption in 30 days:

Step 1: Start making some SCD legal foods and experimenting to see how it goes over a few weeks… ease into the lifestyle.

Step 2: Pick a day that you are officially going to be on the diet and follow the intro diet to start it off right.

Step 3: Strictly follow the SCD diet for 30 days, and keep the fruit intake in moderation to keep the fructose/glucose down until you start to heal a little.

If you follow these 3 steps carefully to properly start the SCD Diet and give it a shot for 30 days, you can stop the gas, cramping, and diarrhea from fructose malabsorption like I did.  Here’s what to do right now to make sure that you properly start the SCD diet:

Download our free guide here: “How to Properly Start the SCD Intro Diet”

Once you have it downloaded, make sure and try SCD legal food and recipes for a few weeks to get used to cooking those meals before you decide to jump in 100%.  Then print it out and do what it says to get started on the intro diet and begin taking control of your fructose malabsorption.  If you download the free guide today and get started on the SCD Diet in the next few weeks, you could have the gas, cramping, and diarrhea from fructose malabsorption taken care of in a little over a month.

Anne-Marie Barbour September 15, 2010 at 1:51 am

Really appreciate your article on Fructose Malabsorption and SCD. I have been on SCD for 3 months and today have not eaten apples (previously 3 a day) as well as no FODMAPS foods. My symptoms of IBS are markedly improved :-)

Jordan or Steve – would you know if SCD 24 hr fermented yoghurt (goats or almond) with GIPro non dairy yoghurt starter would be compatible with both FM and SC diets.

Thanks for your work
Anne-Marie

Kathy July 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I have done all of them and done them wrong and right. Live and learn. Ugh.
There is a 30 day dairy free and then you try the homemade active live yogurt. I am doing that again. Be sure you do the 3 day Intro Diet (free) and then get the 6 week phased diet (buy from them). It is wonderful and so easy. Trying to figure it all out by yourself is hard. I know that some people can’t do the apples, pears and grape juice at first. Eventually you will probably be able to do some.

Jordan Reasoner September 15, 2010 at 8:12 am

Anne-Marie ~ Good work taking control of the overgrowth! Oh and don’t worry too much if you experience another die off, that is completely normal if you are cutting back on the fructose/glucose that has been feeding the bad guys.

It’s hard to say about the yogurt. Milk is full of lactose (milk sugar) which is a disaccharide made up of the monosaccharides glucose and galactose. When the yogurt is fermenting the starter cultures feed on the lactose and break it down into those two sugars and continue to feed and multiply by consuming them. That is why Elaine recommended to ferment the yogurt for 24 hours, to completely break down the lactose. There are many things that can impact that process (like temperature, time, # of cultures, etc.). Long story short, it’s really hard to guess how much sugars are left in the form of lactose, galactose, or glucose after the 24 hours without lab testing. Again, keep it in moderation if you can and test it out, if you feel like you are doing better without it, than maybe take a break for a little while and then introduce again. Once you get a handle on the bacteria overgrowth you should be able to absorb sugars again (in moderation).

Hope that helps! Stay in touch.

Tiffany September 15, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Has anybody ever had tomatoes bother them? I just have to cut them out of my diet at this point. I swear, everytime I eat them it causes some sort of inflammation to happen. All the arthritis symptoms that I experienced before the diet come back after I eat a meal containing them. I did briefly read something that talked about tomatoes being a part of the “night-shade” veggie group. Apparently, these along with peppers and some other thing I can’t remember can give people issues. I need to find that article again. Does anyone here have the same type of response to them?

Seana March 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm

My 10yo daughter has issues with nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and eggplant.) It causes bumpy itchy skin that progresses to a red weeping rash that she can’t help but scratch until she’s bleeding. The process used to take 4-6 weeks from start to clear skin again. We’ve discovered that Shea Butter speeds up the process to about 7-10 days.

I get achy joints from eating nightshades so I don’t eat them often.

Cat September 15, 2010 at 9:20 pm

There is a no nightshades diet which omits potatoes,tomatoes,peppers & eggplant. http://www.noarthritis.com

Tiffany September 16, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Wow! Thanks Cat! I’ve been researching that all morning! I am def going to cut them out of SCD-hard as it may be! It’s worth it for maximum healing. Crazy about the blueberries too..I eat those every day! Can’t find out if strawberries are included in that category or not..back to research..lol!

Cat September 21, 2010 at 7:00 am

No.strawberries are not included.

Jordan Reasoner October 4, 2010 at 8:24 am

Hey Cat,

Just wanted to say thanks for the great info!

Tina February 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Thanks so much for this article. It helps me understand what’s going on with me. I have upper GI gas issues, acid reflux and bad breath, rather than lower GI, and I’m seeing that sugar is a HUGE part of that. When I started SCD 2 years ago all of the symptoms went away. I started cheating 8 months ago, retreating to my old ways. Wasn’t worth it. So I am now back on 2 months now and very happy.

Tiffany – I too can’t eat tomatoes but mine is because of the reflux, not arthritis.

Thanks for the info and the site. Glad I found it.
Tina

Jordan Reasoner March 10, 2011 at 11:12 am

Thanks Tina – keep working on the fruit/honey moderation and you will keep feeling good.

Sreenivas March 16, 2011 at 8:59 am

Thank you very much. Really it is very useful. My experience is that I used to take a spoonful of honey in the morning everyday. During that time, I had cramps in the stomach. May be due to presence of rich fructose. Immediately I stopped taking honey, I got relief from the same. Recently, when I started consuming green grapes of about 250 gms everyday for a week, then cramps started in my stomach. Noticing the difference, I stopped taking green grapes and now I am alright. So, in my case, green grapes and honey are not suitable. Of course, It is my opinion that they can be taken in a little quantity. I shall try taking little after some time.

Lori March 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Hey!

I have been on SCD strictly for 1 week. My fruit intake is minimal (rarely have a couple of spoons of cooked pears/apples and some very dilute grape juice). I have noticed that I have a very bitter taste in my mouth- not necessarily bad breath but this taste is very odd- I have never experienced this before. I don’t know if it’s fructose (unlikely bc my intake is so low) or my drastic increase in animal protein consumption in the last week- I was almost vegan before starting this diet!)

Has anyone else experienced this???

Thanks!
Lori

Jordan Reasoner April 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Hi Lori – My guess is its just a die-off/change over symptom that should go away in a few weeks! Let us know how it changes

Petra July 31, 2012 at 2:37 am

Have you eaten pine-nuts recently? Rancid pine nuts will make everything you eat taste bitter for up to two weeks

Kyli September 1, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I experienced the same thing. It felt like it would never go away and then all of a sudden it was gone! I agree with Jordan.. I think it was a die off reaction/changing of flora. Hope it goes away soon for you!

Gail March 26, 2011 at 2:15 pm

There are some great links and articles about fructose malabsorption and FODMAPS (if you don’t know what this means, and you have FM, you need to). FODMAPS are fermentable oligo-di-and mono-saccharides and polyols in the diet. Here is a good articles:

Nutrition Issues in Gastoenterology, Series #53 (August 2007) at this link: http://www.practicalgastro.com/pdf/August07/Aug07BarrettArticle.pdf

Gail

Steven Wright April 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Hi Gail – Thanks for the great link!
The best part about SCD is that it can incorporate FODMAPS. In my opinion SCD is superior treatment for FM. FODMAPS seems to be a great way to get rid of the symptoms caused by FM but doesn’t appear to encourage recovery as well.

Jordan and others I’ve talked with have done great by eliminating/limiting high FODMAPS foods from SCD and then over time re-introducing them after being on SCD for awhile.

Jane S. April 8, 2011 at 11:38 am

Hmmm, I have made an effort to avoid Fructose, since I suspect it is what is making America fat, but started to realize that even sugar is half fructose, I fortunately stumbled on an article that inspired me to look for the enzyme to digest fructose (silly me!) and found the phrase “fructose malabsorption” in Wikipedia, searched on that and picked your link first, Thanks, I think this is going to solve some mysteries, I will get back to you after I work on the initial steps.

Steven Wright April 16, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by Jane! Glad we could help! Let us know how you do, you might also want to check out this post http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/03/what-to-do-when-the-scd-diet-isnt-working/

KATHY SCOTT April 29, 2011 at 2:06 pm

My daughter was just diagnosed with Fructose Malabsorption. I am pretty sure her problem was mostly the amount of fruit juice that she consumed daily on the SCD diet for the past two years. You mentioned that you went off all fruit for a few weeks and gradually added certain fruits back in a few at a time. Did you also go off of all lettuce, tomatoes, onions and other vegetables or anything else during that time period? Can she just start omitting the fruit and juice?

Jordan Reasoner May 4, 2011 at 12:12 am

Hi Kathy, I did go off all fructose for a few weeks and slowly brought fruit back in with moderation. I would say, test omitting everything with high sugar content for 4-days, then try slowly re-introducing the onions, beets, etc.

I think in those four days she will see an amazing improvement in how she’s feeling.

Stay in touch and let us know how she’s doing.

Rebecca May 4, 2011 at 6:13 am

I think fructose malabsorption may be a big issue in why my 18 yr old daughter diagnosed with Crohn’s 6 months ago and on SCD for 5 months has not had real success and consistent symptom relief. The question is: WHAT do you eat??? She tends to eat at least a couple of pcs of fruit a day, 1-2 almond flour based muffins, maybe a Larabar in school lunch. She knows that she does better when she eats what she calls “plain”, but that usually means dealing with hunger. She is already too thin and can’t live on basic intro foods of meat and simple veggies. What is the answer???

Jordan Reasoner May 13, 2011 at 8:25 am

Hi Rebecca – great question!

To be the bacterial overgrowth causing fructose malabsorption I stuck with healthy fats, meats, veggies, and 1 cup of fruit/day. Lost of healthy fats will help her gain weight and curb hunger cravings. Think coconut oil and olive oil or avocado if she’s ready for it. Try it for four day and you’ll likely see massive improvements.

Stay in touch,

Maureen McCormack July 12, 2011 at 11:44 pm

I have suffered with IBS and acid reflux for years and was recently diagnosed with Fructose Malabsorption. I have eliminiated most sugar, fruits, wheat and various vegetables from my diet. I have also stopped eating diary products because I seem to have a reaction to those as well. I have greatly improved but I am still suffering at times from stomach pains, gas and diarreah.
My mom suggested that I try SCD. My first reaction was “no way!” since I have already eliminated so much out of my diet and rice has become a staple of my diet. On second thought, I decided to look online to see if other FM sufferers have benefited from this diet so I was plesantly surprised to stumble upon your website.
I have the “everyday grain-free gourmet” book and I am getting a lot of great information from your website. I am hoping to start SCD soon.
It is my hope that I might be able to add some of the food back into my diet like cheese, certain lower-frutose fruits, and nuts after I have been on SCD for a while.

Is the yogurt a must have in this diet? If it is I might have to use that probiotic mentioned.

Thanks for all the information.

Nicole July 28, 2011 at 5:56 am

What about the legal SCD cheese? Can you continue to eat this if you are dealing with the FM? My son has been on SCD for 4 months and has had relief from acid reflux but stomach pain continues. We just started eliminating honey and he has had some improvement; next will be all fruit and fructans (onions, etc). But what about SCD legal cheese. Can we continue to eat that. We have not done the yogurt yet.

Thanks for any feedback.

Parya J August 21, 2011 at 7:02 am

oh this was really great, thanx.

Maria August 30, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Hi,
Just found this website and I am so grateful for all the information on here it has been so helpful! After 20 + years of suffering with what I thought was IBS and bad breath, was/is FM.

I have a question regarding gum. Does anyone have a suggestion for a sugar free gum without sorbitol? I had no idea that the gum I was using to get rid of the bad breath and bad taste in my mouth was actually exacerbating the problem!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Maria

maria September 4, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Hi,
Thanks for all the great info!
My question: I have gone cold turkey on sugar. I mean I have eliminated any and everything that could even remotely contain fructose, xylitol etc. My question is, how long before I get a relief from the incredible bad taste on my tongue and horrific bad breath? I use to chew sugar free gum like it’s going out of style because of the bad taste in my mouth and bad breath. I have nothad foods that contain these products, but haven’t noticed a difference. My tummy feels so much better though, and no more bloat. There hasn’t been any improvement either in my smelly stools (sorry, I feel the need to be as graphic and as honest as I can to get some answers) and it is still more of a diarrhea like consistency.
Thank you for any answers you can provide. My life has been turned upside down and I am so lost.
Maria

Leanne September 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hi, thank you all for the great info! (In the future, less use of acronyms
would be helpful…less homework) Nowhere is SCD spelled out anywhere.
But I will google and try.

Thanks!

Esther October 17, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I don’t think any gum is SCD legal but you can try the Indian tip of chewing a teaspoon or more of fenel seeds or some fresh parsley to freshen the breath.
I’m on SCD now, no eggs, onions, garlic and still introducing foods. Goat’s yogurt, home made gave me a horrible taste in my mouth. Not sure whether cow’s yogurt is good for me either but I want the good bacteria and it’s much cheaper than buying probiotics. Feeling better though, slowly.

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm

@ Esther – great tip!

Glad to see that you’re feeling better, keep up the awesome work.

Willy February 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Have you heard of Sucraid? It’s an oral enzyme prescription. It’s supposed to help sucrose intolerant folks but they find it helps for fructose and carbs too

Jordan Reasoner February 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm

@Willy – I have heard of it but I haven’t ever received feedback that it worked.

Me personally, I’m adverse to taking something like that and would rather lower my fructose intake.

Cathi March 1, 2012 at 2:13 am

Just wondering about Luo Han Guo as a sweetener. From what I understand it is NEITHER Monosaccharide or Polysaccharide. It is 80% a whole new creature composed mostly of glycosides. Are Glycosides legal in an SCD Diet? I would be interested in understanding if this could be a low carb sweetener that could be used later on in SCD. It’s supposed to have anti-inflammatory properties from what I have read. Thank you for your help with understanding Sweeteners and what they do to the body.

Dave March 2, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Just a quick comment. I have been on SCD (SCDLifestyle’s version) for the month of Dec, Jan and most of Feb (roughly 3 months). During that time I had a good days and bad days (As to be expected), but I could barely get out of the intro diet at all. No matter what, urgency continued to run my life (for 7-8 years now)

I then researched FM and realized that many of the foods on the intro, phase 1,2,3, etc are loaded with fructose. Once I cut out carrots, which were my SCD staple, I felt better instantly. I have IBS and not IBD. I’m about to order a hydrogen breath test to confirm FM but I just want to say, if you don’t see somewhat constant improvement on SCD and the intro diet, please note fructose and frutans are in many of the foods which are SCD legal including carrots, onions, garlic, pears, apples, many of the fruits. A good resource is http://www.thefartingpear.com

I feel so much better and can eat so many more foods (and not be sick like I was for the last 7 years) following a *proper* FM diet (not just cut out fruit) than all the IBS diets I have ever tried. I think Steve and Jordan are doing a great job, but if SCD isn’t giving contestant results, just read a bit about FM and you may be surprised. Again, I don’t have IBD but rather severe IBS – this may not apply to you. I’ll try to remember to provide an update in a few weeks.

Jordan Reasoner March 2, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Great addition to this post Dave, thank you :-)

I had the same experience that you did, and I had to eliminate high fructose fruits/veggies for about 6 months on SCD to reach another level of health.

About a year in I could start slowly adding more foods back in like onion, carrots, berries, etc. Now I’m fine with them and loving every minute of it!

Keep us posted,

Vibeke May 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I have been diagnosed FM and have started the SCD 3 weeks ago. i am still in the intro and have experienced this: The first few weeks I struggled to find my way around in it, reading and reading the book. Before starting this diet I had seen a dietist to get help with my FM and she had included alot of fibre through ryebread and the diet was making my diarrea less, but instead I got severe stomach pain and felt sick and lost my appetite. I had followed this diet for 4 weeks and fortunately a friend of mine told me about the SCD or GAPS diet. So I decided to give it a try because the other diet was giving me so much pain. So I already knew alot about which fruit, vegetables and wheats to avoid. The first few days on SCD all my pain disappeared. Then I have had a few set backs with adding too many vegetables, which I have now removed. I have been sick for now 7 years and almost can’t bear this anymore. I have 3 little children and am looking after them at home it is very hard finding the energy for daily life. I really believe I can shape this diet to my personal needs, but my question is that when I am on level 1-2 of the introduction diet I have started getting these incredibly strong depressive moods where I just cry and cry when I have a set back (diarrea or pain). I have never felt such horrible moods before and feel besides myself. I wonder if somebody else have experienced something like that? Today I ate a banana and quite quickly my mood went back to normal, now I have also taken a B-vitamin supplement as I read that depression could be caused by lack of that. I am also getting a bit down by the fact that I have lost my appetite since starting this diet. I really have to force myself to eat something. Anybody can help me with these problems?

Steven Wright May 8, 2012 at 10:58 am

@ Vibeke – Hang in there your doing so well! The fact that the diet took care of your digestive problems in weeks is amazing don’t forget that fact just because the pain is gone. The hormonal issue could be many things from detox, healing to not enough nutrients. I think using a high quality B-complex is a great idea. Also hormones are made of fat, some people make the mistake of not eating enough on SCD. Please try eating a lot more fat for the next 2 weeks and see how you feel. Try using coconut oils and avocados.

Vibeke May 5, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Another question. Are there any alcohol that I am allowed to drink on SCD?

Steven Wright May 8, 2012 at 10:55 am

@ Vibeke – I wrote a 3 part series on alcohol… some of it is allowed. But if your having digestive symptoms I would abstain for awhile and let your body rest. Here is part 1 http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/01/scd-legal-alcohol/

laura May 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

Thanks for the great info!

I’ve been on a paleo/scd type diet for just over 3 months (No grains, legumes, starchy veggies, or processed sugar). When I get my diet just right, my life is perfect. Small cheating, whether it’s half a baked potato with a meal (starches) or a handful of raisins as a snack (fructose/sugars) sets off the same symptoms: cravings, bloating, extreme & sudden fatigue, and back/neck pain. I can take the raisins either right before or right after exercise, just not while sedentary. I can handle moderate carbs best when combined with a good deal of protein and fat, even something as sweet as dates is OK in the right combination of foods. If there’s not enough protein/fat in a meal even regular veggies can bring on symptoms. Does this sound like a fructose malaborption problem to you, or an intolerance to carbs in general, a blood sugar/insulin problem, or something else all together? I’m not overweight, I could actually stand to gain a few pounds, but that is hard to do on limited carbs.

Joan Davis July 5, 2012 at 12:23 am

I am so glad I found your website! I have a question about fructose malabsorption with SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth). Do I also need to avoid foods with yeast (ie breads, wines, vinegars, etc)?
I have been doing an herbal cleanse (Renew Life-CandiGone) for candidias yeast overgrowth. I am restricting sugar, wheat/gluten, limiting fruit and all carbs (except whole grain brown rice). I eat a lot of fresh/frozen vegetables. I have had great relief, but I really miss bread. I would love to be able to bake my gluten free bread, but I am afraid that the yeast in the bread will cause bloating, gas and constipation. I currently take specific probiotic for gut health, digestive enzymes, B-vitamins. I was hoping that someone out there might have a similar concern and could address this. Thanks!

Vibeke July 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Just an update from here.
I am now 3 months pregnant and is doing alot better. I havn’t been very strict with the SCD, but eat also potatoes, ryebread and rice. Otherwise I do find it hard to get enough to eat to put on weight.
I have now juggled my diet since march where I was diagnosed with FM and is making mistakes but also learning all the way.
I have reduced sugar intake, wheat and diary to a minimum. I can’t eat barbecues or grilled things either.
I have also seem a hypnotherapist, a biopath, a heil practitioner and a molecyler medicine advicer and they have helped me with which vitamins and minerals I am lacking.
I am now taking folic acid, calcium, iron, fishoil, aloe vera (I konw not allowed), chrome and zink, probiotics every day and I am sure that is what has encreased my energy levels.
I have also almost gotten rid of my dissiness, stomach pain, burning feeling in the stomach and look alot better.
Now my challenges are to get back my appetite and rid of my nausea, which should make it easier for me to eat more and put on weight for the baby, but that I am not really having progress with at the moment, so if anyone have any helpfull suggestions I would be so happy.
My nauses and lack of appetite could be causes by that I have alot of gallstones, which I can’t be operated for while pregnant and don’t wan’t to be operated for. I hope to get them dissolved naturaly, but at the moment I just try to avoid heavy meats and sugar which seem to irritate them.
But I am desperately looking for a way to put on weight for the baby:)

pam August 14, 2012 at 8:04 am

All i am living on right now is greens,fruit and the odd bit of fresh fish here and there but not everyday,this is how i’ve lived for the past 2 months because i’m serious about getting my health back on track.My weight as dropped from 10 stone to 8 and half which isn’t a bad thing i suppose but i don’t want to keep dropping as it’s not healthy. If i remove fruit what’s there left for me to eat? living this life really is depressing :-(

Steven Wright August 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm

@Pam – Glad to hear your motivated to get your health under control. But what you posted scares me a bit. I doubt it is low FODMAPS and it is definitely not a specific carbohydrate diet. I hope your working with a professional and if you are based on what you said your eating you may want to seek out a 2nd opinion.

Katie October 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about a year and a half ago, but I’m still having some issues. I’ve been having food induced headaches for the last year or so. I’ve bounced between a few doctors and one of them suggested fructose malabsorption. I haven’t been able to pinpoint exactly which foods trigger my headaches, but it tends to be after lots of grains (cereal, tortilla chips), or watermelon, or sauces (bbq, marinara). I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. The headaches aren’t always accompanied by GI symptoms, so I’m not sure if that rules out fructose malabsorption or not. Thoughts? Help?

Steven Wright October 4, 2012 at 9:04 am

@Katie – What your describing may or may not be FM but it surely is the result of an inflamed leaky gut. Headaches are not normal and can be caused by lots of things, diet is a major contributor to them. Because of the gut-brain axis lot’s of people on this site and Paleo sites around the web have reported a complete cessation of migraines and headaches after switching to a grain-free diet low toxin diet. Of course you may need other lifestyle changes as we all are different but I’d try that for 60 days first.

Jed October 7, 2013 at 3:18 pm

@steve, I had a similar experience of realization with migraines. I changed to gluten free during this summer. My migraines and tinnitus went nearly away. However, when I had a gluten free muffin mix that has inulin, I began becoming nauseous over the three days that I had the muiffins until I had a full blown migraine. So, I am not thinking that my gluten intollerance is really caused by fructose intollerance.

traxdz October 8, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hey Jordan (and all)!

To add to your article I would like to note that there is an ingredient that mfg’s of all sorts have, in the last number of years, begun to add to their foods that can severely affects folks who suffer from this condition-well at least it does me and other family members with the same issues. The ingredient is inulin, it is a fructan, and is often listed as inulin or FOS. It is found naturally in some root vegetables, but in small amounts. I have made a conscious effort to avoid foods that have this ingredient added to them and have found that this helps. Hope this helps some folks!

Steven Wright October 9, 2012 at 1:39 pm
traxdz October 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm

THANKS!! I looked through them and listened to the FODMAPS podcast. Great info. Your page and the information it contains has been so helpful. Eye-opening and a link I will send out to many folks.

Steven Wright October 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

Awesome thanks for spreading the word on to others who might be helped we appreciate it.

Ali October 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Great article- weird- I just emailed you guys this morning about a question re: my recent SIBO diagnosis. In it I said I am reluctant to give up winter squash, as it is my last source of carbs and I feel my C worsen when I eliminate all carbs. Will my SIBO be resistant to heal if I still eat it? I am on rifaximin right now, and lactulose as prescribed by my doctor (which has been tremendously helpful for C) but now I am worried that that is just another sugar feeding the overgrowth. Any thoughts?
THanks!!

Jordan Reasoner October 18, 2012 at 4:38 am

Hi Ali – don’t give up yet, you’re doing awesome. The two best things to help with C, even with IBS-C, is probiotics and healthy fats. Read more about it here: http://scdlifestyle.com/2011/10/ibs-c-naturally-heal-constipation/

I think that will really help you.

Bethany Hicks April 12, 2013 at 7:22 am

Since going gluten free due to celiac disease, I still wasn’t feeling well. Then I realized dairy was bothering me. I experience shooting pains in my legs and shoulder pain when I eat dairy, (weird, but true). I’ve now been completely dairy free for a couple weeks. I never tried the SCD diet because I don’t have cramping or diarrhea, but I did notice that when I eat sugar or fruit that I have a lot of gas, (burping) and I feel like the insides of me are literally fermenting. I can feel bubbles coming back up when I burp- very strange. I’m thinking it might be fructose malabsorption . Thanks so much for this article. I am going to try to cut my sugars for a few weeks and see if that helps!! Thank you!

chelsea asher April 15, 2013 at 5:41 am

hello my name is chelsea ans i have to say i am fructose in tollance would tthis help me as i have tried the hosptail all my life and they dont know what to do has i am under great ormand street.

dkaj July 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Hi Steve and Jordan,
So, if a person has fructose malabsorption, what do you suggest to use as a sweetener in the SCD diet? I know Elaine says in her book that stevia has a chemical structure similar to steroids, so it’s not allowed even though it is a monosaccharide. Her only other option given in the book is saccharin, which is FODMAP friendly, but I worry about the safety of that one also. Any feedback, suggestions? I have 2 children I need to implement the program on, thus, I need some options or we will never make it!!! Going to be tough enough the way it is!!

ruthie smith July 28, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I lessen the amount of honey I add to muffins for example…it really makes a difference! I try not to eat too many bananas in one day…and make sure they are ripe…also really this makes a big difference!

ruthie smith July 28, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Thank you for this article….I really can’t believe that you are pinpointing exactly what a portion of my digestive troubles are caused by….the too much fruit and honey thing…yess…..I thought I was just the oddball…but anything is possible with this group of SCD people! I never had a name for it, but knew that sugar was never my friend and that sweet fruit was also not my friend…and now I have a real name to stick to my weird reactions….it feels so great to be among you all…I feel more “normal” ha ha!!! God bless us all to find our way through the SCD and taylor it to what our body needs and wants.

Angela August 19, 2013 at 12:42 am

Hello. My son is on a very strict diet from fructose malabsorption. His is missing Glut5. I would love to have contact with other malabsorbers missing Glut5. I’ve been doing research on the possibility of adding glucose to the diet when consuming something in which free fructose is higher than glucose. This has helped some sufferers in Europe, allowing them to eat foods with higher ratios than they could normally (keeping in mind total fructose is also a concern). Also, I have been exploring the use of Fructosin (xylose isomerase) so my son could eat things like cantelope or pizza. (The red sauce is the culprit, he eats only special white sauces.) Please email and put Glut5 in the subject so your message gets to me right away. I’m looking forward to hearing from you. Angela email: deralynn@comcast.net

Dan September 14, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the great post!

So what can you eat if avoiding fruit/sugar and eating vegan also?

Thanks

Viola October 15, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Hi Steve and Jordan

I think the work that you do is great but your eating plan does not suit every digestive disorder and you should not try and make it fit for every case. SCD is not the diet to follow if you have fructose malabsorption. I followed your diet for 6 weeks earlier this year and while I lost weight, which I was happy about, it didn’t help with my symptoms. Later in the year I was diagnosed with fructose malabsorption and I now understand why SCD didn’t work. Firstly, honey should not be consumed if you have fructose malabsortion neither should pears. Both of these are in the diet plan from early on in the diet. At the same time, people with fructose malabsorption typically have no problem with digesting lactose so there is no need to cut out the dairy product. Fructose malabsorption diet has its own list of food that are safe to eat and its own set of guidelines and while it does overlap with the SCD diet, it is not the same.Also, small intestine bacteria overgrowth is not the same thing as fructose malabsorption. You can have fructose malabsorption without having bacteria overgrowth in your small intestines. I know because I have been tested for both separately and I don’t have small intestine bacteria overgrowth (for this they test with a lactulose not fructose).

jes December 10, 2013 at 7:16 am

I already knew I had a weird reaction to sugar…..mostly if I ate too much that day….which is rare…but my body acts up when I do this. I didn’t know there was an actual disease linked to it. Thank you for this article. It’s always nice to understand things.

Nan December 18, 2013 at 9:44 am

Did FM cause you extreme exhaustion and if so did your alterations to your diet worsen the amount of your fatigue or cause any malabsorption issues? I like the photo that you chose for the article.

Alice January 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Does honey still retain its benefits when heated – or does it become just plain 50:50 frutose and glucose without its additional benefits? If so, does that mean its on the same level as white sugar?

What sweeteners can be used?

What about glucose and maltose – which is what rice syrup is made of?

Thanks

Cindy January 26, 2014 at 9:03 pm

Hi there

I’ve had IBS for the past 20 years. When my weight is down IBS is minimal, when it is up I get cramps, bloating(I look 9 months pregnant) excessive smelly gas and level 6 stools.

High fibre diet is incredibly bad for me, i.e. diahrrea. I keep hot chocolate to minimum, not too much white bread. Dried fruits are soooo bad for me. Also apples, grapes, oranges are no good either. Beans are no good. High fibre pasta and rice no good. All the white versions of these constipate me so it’s difficult to find a happy medium. I tried the SCD. The intro diet was great, had a few spoons of honey when needed a sugar fix. However, when started phasing in rest of diet I got problems. I love the home-made yogurt but I always add honey. I made the carrot cake, brownies and muffins – is the almond flour giving me gas. I had yogurt with pineapple, is it the fruit giving me gas? is the honey giving me gas? The interesting thing is that I used to have porridge for breakfast (organic ground oats which I soaked overnight to remove phytates or phytic acid, whichever was the problem) with yogurt and blueberries and I had no problem digesting it. I’m just so confused. I would stick to the intro diet but it makes me so tired and I crave sweet things, which is when I go for the honey fix.

HAMZA OMAR January 29, 2014 at 1:09 pm

i am a patient with froctose/lactose intolerance since jan.2000, and i need to know what to eat
pls help

Gail April 6, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Thank you for this article. My personal story is exactly the same except that my SIBO was so bad I could only eat about 5 foods and I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia due to the severe inflammation that accompanied my symptoms. The SCD Diet saved my life and put me back on track. I occaissionally have to stop sugars and always watch my fructose/fructans intake. Most articles do rapt mention the accompanying fatigue and body aches that can be symptoms.

elisa May 16, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hi, I have been doing the SCD for a few weeks and cannot tolerate even very ripe bananas or the tiniest amount of honey or I get severe gas. How do I ensure that I am getting enough carbs? I am concerned about losing too much weight.