Steve’s SCD Healing Journal: Week 26 – Coconut Water is Mother Nature’s Gatorade!

Co-Founder of SCD Lifestyle Steve Wright has finally broken down and started his path to intestinal healing.  After many years of undiagnosed digestive warfare in his body, these series of weekly posts will take you through his experiences, thoughts, and struggles on the SCD diet.  Check back and follow his progress:

Week 26 Summary

Coconut is a really amazing fruit.  There are so many coconut products that are great to use in our natural diet from coconut water, coconut milks, coconut oils, and even the coconut meat.  Elaine recommends waiting 6 months before using coconut, but from what I’ve seen she was referring to the meat and milk portions of the coconut.  That means as soon as you read this you should go out and find some coconut oil and try and find some coconut water if you’re interested.  I really don’t think there is a better oil for cooking than coconut.  It stands up to heat much better than most oils and with natural anti-fungal characteristics it is perfect for people with digestive problems.

Coconut water is a naturally isotonic drink that is basically mother natures Gatorade.  It contains really high amounts of potassium and magnesium as well as full spectrum of other electrolytes.  I personally have started drinking coconut water after hard training sessions or whenever I’m feeling really dehydrated.  It tastes like slightly milky water and has a rather neutral taste to me.

While I’ve been using coconut oil for several months and the water for a week or two, last week was the first time that I tried coconut milk.  I made my normal SCD slop recipe but this time I left out all the tomatoes and added a whole can of coconut milk with plenty of cayenne pepper.  It turned the dish into a soupy Thai-like dish.  It was pretty good but I think I can do better.  In the future I’m going to continue playing with coconut milk and my goal is eat at least a can a week because of all of the amazing health properties.

GENOVA STOOL TEST

I had my appointment with my doctor a few weeks ago to discuss my Genova Stool test results.  I’m just now updating everyone because it wasn’t until last week that I’ve actually gotten around to taking action based on the results of the test.

The test results were very enlightening and its weird to say, but some what disappointing.  What I found out is I

Harmful Yeast are a pain to get rid of!

actually have a very good amounts of beneficial bacteria (+4 out of 4 for most), however I also have some Candida albicans.  I did find out that I’m also having a slight problem digesting fats but nothing significant.  So why were these test results disappointing?  Simply because I’m never going to get my scapegoat diagnosis.  I will never be able to totally claim Celiac disease, H. Pylori, or extreme Candida.

People who have those diagnoses are probably appalled that I have some weird want to have a their problems.  They are probably right, as I get better and better, people are noticing my improved quality of life they are starting to care less about what a “doctor” says I have.  I find it strangely interesting how I should have been extremely thankful (I AM) when the doctor told me nothing was wrong but I had this big emotional let down when nothing clinically showed up.  Going forward I think I’ll stick with gut dysbiosis (sounds better than IBS to me).

That was a little tangent but back to the results of the test, based on having the +1 for Candida (out of 0-4) the doctor wanted me to start a round of an anti-yeast drug called Sporanox.  He also told me I could go at naturally with S. Boulardii but recommended at least a month of the prescription drug.  After doing my due diligence on Sporanox I’ve decided I want to give it a go naturally with diet and some helpers.  If you remember, I’ve already done a stack of undecylenic acid with berberine and while I’m sure that helped it obviously didn’t get everything.  This time I’m going to come at the yeast with a triple stack that I think is going to be more potent.  I’m going to try a stack of S. Boulardii, oregano oil and coconut oil.

Has anyone else beat their Candida by using diet and natural remedies?

Back to SCD Lifestyle

Mouza July 24, 2010 at 3:11 am

I’m not sure if I have Candida, but as part of my healthy lifestyle, the first thing I drink early morning is my vegetable juice, which consist of the following: celery, parsley, carrot, and grapefruit.

This drink is good for the digestive system and removes Candida if it exists.

Kati July 30, 2010 at 10:52 pm

We are struggling with Candida at our home… Diflucan has brought it out but I’m noticing it tends to get “fed” more frequently than I realized.

We are rotating GSE, OoO, and Uva Ursi and did a course of Flagyl before the Diflucan. My girls have it more systemically so I think we just have to use the meds – it can be in places beyond the gut and not all sups/Rx will get throughout the body. Hope yours stayed in the gut!!!

cheryl cravino August 9, 2010 at 10:21 am

I too just learned from Genova, I have a Candida overgrowth. Dr. suggests Nystatin for 6 months, metagenics garlic 6000 also for 6 months. I have started with brewing whole cloves and fresh ginger in my tea every morning and have increased my coconut oil intake. They have me starting slow due to “die off” and the related side effects of that. Will keep you posted on progress.

Steve Wright October 15, 2010 at 6:06 pm

@ Mouza – Hmm sounds like a tasty drink, I can’t say I’ve ever read anything about juicing getting rid of Candida though

@ Kati – Thanks for sharing, Candida is a tuff creature to beat down and stay down. Sounds like you are using some really good supplements. Are you following the SCD diet or another anti-Candida diet? If not you may be inadvertently be re feeding the beast. What is OoO by the way?

@ Cheryl – Wow Nystatin and Garlic for 6 months? I thought 3 months was a long time when they told me that. How bad was your Candida growth? I’m in the middle of my 2nd month of 3 with Nystatin, and have gotten some really great results. How are things going?

Matt October 18, 2010 at 11:22 am

Hey guys, I just found this post. Raw garlic is one of nature’s most potent anti fungals. Crush a clove, wait 10-ish minutes and eat it raw.

Coloidal silver also works, so I hear. I’ve not tried it.

Carol Frilegh March 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Elaine warned against GREEN COCONUT water. Like unripe fruit it can make you feel sick!

Jordan Reasoner March 10, 2011 at 11:09 am

Thank’s Carol – great point. It is definitely a more advanced SCD tool.

Hope you’re doing great.

Jen March 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Jordan- what brand of canned coconut milk do you use? I can’t find any that doesn’t contain guar gum, or other illegals. Thanks!

Jordan Reasoner March 5, 2012 at 9:23 pm

@Jen – good question! We went over this on Facebook a while back, here’s a link to the discussion with lots of links:

Phillip Penn March 21, 2012 at 8:47 am

I already bought joy of the mountain oil of oregano. Is custom pro-biotic that contains acidophilus only enough to replenish the gut of all the good bacteria the Oil of oregano is going to kill? I’m also doing a cup of scd yogurt a day. Im also curious as to what s Boulardii you are taking. Do you know anything about Florastore? Sorry for overwhelming with questions but my recent blood work suggests that I could have a slight infection and my gastro wants to treat me with flag.

Steven Wright March 23, 2012 at 8:44 pm

@ Phillip – I took GI Pro health S. Boulardii. If you take the oil of oregano and probiotic at the same time it’s likely that it could kill all the good bacteria.. space them apart during the day and it should help but not completely sure.

Phillip Penn March 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Okay I appreciate it!

Jeremy Solomon March 21, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Wow thank god for the internet! I have been suffering from UC for almost two years, with moderate symptoms that slowly but surely continued to deteriorate. Living in Japan I finally became absolutely exasperated by the lack of information offered by Japanese doctors. (well, don’t be too hard on them, even young well-educated doctors suck at English, here so they just can’t keep up with the latest studies) So I started doing intensive research for myself.
In terms of diet, the only advice I got was “Don’t drink, don’t eat fried foods, avoid beef if you can” I never heard about SCD. And just stumbled upon it this week.
And have been trying to follow it since and seeing some improvement (though checking the labels for illegal additives is a whole lot harder in Japanese.

This also is the first I heard of S. Boulardii. But I read from Wikipedia this can be very beneficial for UC as well. So forgive me for a stupid question, but exactly how do you take this? Is this available as a supplement? Or on prescription? 😀

LauraA June 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Hi Steve,
Before my DO moved to Colorado, she gave me three extracts from North American Herb and Spice called Fung-E-Clenz, Cinnamol, and Oregonol. The Fung-e-Clenz has sage, cumin, myrtle, and PT3 oregano in it. They are all grown wild. When I have big issues, I take their Oregabiotics, a thousand times better than antibiotics. BTW, thanks so much for creating this site. There are a lot of us very grateful for what you guys are doing.
Loved the podcast #25 with Dr. Allison Siebecker today.

Allison August 26, 2013 at 9:27 pm

How are you all getting tested for this? My doctors think I’m nuts when I bring it up, and the holistic doctors here want $250 for a yeast test.

Steven Wright August 30, 2013 at 10:38 am

Not sure what test you are referring to but many of the best tests are at least that much. You might want to check out our consulting program.