SCD Legal Spices: Frontier Simply Organic… Spice Up Your Life!

I’m always on the look out for SCD legal products that can be easily purchased and integrated into my everyday life.  Lately, I’ve been looking to spice my diet up a bit (pun intended).  So I’ve been doing some research on different spices that I can find in my local grocery and health food stores.  One company that I’ve come across and have bought several products from is Frontier Spices.  I really like their company website because it explicitly states all their rather impressive manufacturing technologies and allergen controls.

Frontier produces two lines of products one which is their own brand name.

They also created an all organic line of spices that is called Simply Organic.

Simply Organic Frontier Spices

I currently own and use several frontier products including their pure vanilla extract, simply organic cinnamon, chipotle pepper, simply organic basil and simply organic oregano.  It’s starting to become quite the collection.  I started out slowly by first buying the cinnamon which I absolutely love (freshest I’ve ever tasted in ground form).  After doing some more research I decided to see if some of the harder spices to obtain on this diet like curry powders or any spice/herb that is smoked and then ground up would be SCD legal form this company.  I emailed the company specifically to inquire about chipotle pepper’s smoking process and made sure to mention that I am allergic to man-made anti-caking agents and any starches.  Here is the email I received back.

Hello Steven,

Thank you for your inquiry. Frontier does not use any processing aids or
anti-caking agents with out listing them prominently on the label. Most of
our single ingredient spices contain nothing other than the spice itself
with the exception of a few find ground products (such as onion and garlic)
that contain silicon dioxide as an anti-caking agent. Again, this is
prominently disclosed on the label in the ingredients declaration. If a
label doesn’t feature an ingredient declaration, such as basil, that means
that there is only one ingredient, basil.

The smoking process does not included anything other than actual smoke from
a traditional “smoking” method. Nothing is added to the jalapeno’s in this
process.

Kind Regards,
Jesse Otter

As you can see from above they are very open about listing all ingredients on their products, in addition of the products I own I have never reacted to any of them.  An interesting note from the email shows that they do add silicon dioxide (as known as silica) to their garlic and onion powders which according to Pecanbread’s supplement listing is a legal additive (Note: I checked their products out online and it turns out their garlic salts include silicon dioxide where as they have granulated garlic and onion that do not contain it).

Overall I am extremely impressed with this company and love their products.  I plan to continue buying from their simply organic line because I know that these spices are even more pure being free of any man made chemicals.  I have found this brand in several big box grocery stores in several cities but if you cannot find them you can always order from their website.  (We are in no way affiliated with this company and do not make any money to endorse their product… we just like their stuff and thought we would spread the word)

Got any other good spice companies that are your favorites?  Tell us about them!

**Originally I included Simply Organic Curry powder in this post but as Carol pointed out below after further research most curry powders including Frontier’s use fenugreek powder which is illegal because it is mainly used to make additives such as guar gum.

Steven Wright Steve Wright is a health engineer and author. In 2009, he reached a breaking point when IBS took over his life and the doctors didn’t know how to help. Since then, he has transformed his health and started SCDLifestyle.com to help others naturally heal stomach problems. You can check out his story here and find him on Google+, Facebook or Twitter.

Carol Frilegh April 2, 2010 at 1:42 pm

You currently own and use several frontier products including their pure vanilla extract, simply organic cinnamon, chipotle pepper, simply organic basil, simply organic oregano and simply organic curry powder.

Curry powder is a mixed spice and not legal.

Carol
SCD 10 years

Steven Wright April 5, 2010 at 2:43 pm

Carol – I fixed the post above, thanks for pointing out that most curry powders are illegal I missed the fenugreek that is added into their product.

Carol Frilegh April 16, 2010 at 9:23 am

Pointing out again. We know Frontier to be a good source for spices, but just a reminder that email does not suffice for a food processor or distributor to verify ingredients. If you want to be truly legal for your readers a letter on company letterhead, signed and mailed or faxed is the best way to go.

This was mentioned before in regard to Shelton’s products. If you are sharing what seems good to you with your followers, that seems fine, but they should be aware that there are only a few processed commercial store bought products that were approved before Elaine’s death or by the aforementioned procedure after. Hope you guys are healing well!

marianne May 21, 2012 at 3:28 am

I do not see want is wrong with pure fenugreek powder, because it’s made(as you know) from the seeds of fenugreek, which is a herb. So, I do not understand, why it’s on the illegal list of Elaine. (only because you can produce other substances from this powder??)
sorry!

Jordan Reasoner June 2, 2012 at 3:51 am

I’m not sure, and it’s hard because we can’t ask her.

It might have more to do with the anti-nutrients that are in seeds in general, which can be tough on the digestive system.

Becky January 4, 2015 at 9:47 pm

If bark teas are illegal, how is cinnamon (a bark) legal?

Lori Jo Berg January 5, 2015 at 9:43 am

Hi Becky, thanks for reaching out! Other ingredients, as well as the way the substance is processed must be taken into consideration as well. Please find a complete list of legal and illegal foods here with descriptions: breakingtheviciouscycle.info

Gina June 23, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Hi,

I have heard that in November 2014 the FDA made a new rule that you can’t call your produce “Organic” if it had silicon dioxide in it since it is a man-made product. Companies are using rice hulls instead so they can still call their product organic. There is talk on the pecanbread yahoo user group about applegate farm hot dogs. They do contain “illegal” ingredients (Onion Powder) etc. that probably has the anti-caking agent in them. This is very important information if it is in fact true. We have been on the diet for about a month now and re-introduced the hot dogs thinking they were ok and I noticed some behaviors that were better, had returned a bit. So I am guessing that it is true that even a little is not ok when it comes to “illegals”. Not sure about the labeling of flow agents if they “have” to put it on the label if it is less then a certain percentage? Does anyone know what the law is on this? Thank you

virginia July 4, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Hi Gina,
I’m new to this but I did read somewhere that processed ham and hotdogs are not legal. It is in the books/literature that I bought from SCD. It is not listed on the list for “Breaking the Vicious Cycle”. I could be wrong, but I do remember reading it. Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
virginia

Mariel Heiss July 6, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Hi Virginia, thanks for commenting. You can find info on all legal and illegal foods, including ham and hotdogs here: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/H/
Ham and hotdogs can be illegal or legal, depending on how they are prepared.