The #1 Reason People Fail on the SCD Diet… and Never Get to Feel Better

The biggest reason people fail on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet is that they move way too fast and advance through the diet too quickly.  Let’s face it, as a society we are focused on instant gratification and we are all impatient.  It is especially true when it comes to health and feeling good, if you are on this diet then you most likely are sick of being sick and want to get better right now!

How Do I Slow Down?

In many instances people fail to see any results on the SCD diet because they simply moved way too fast through the phases.  The amazing folks at PecanBread.com developed the stages of the SCD diet for people to have a general guideline of what foods to introduce and in what order.

At SCD Lifestyle we took those stages a step further and introduced the Phases of the SCD Diet starting with the intro diet and moving from phases 1 through 5 with an additional detail.  Our phases identify the phenol (salicylates) levels of the foods in each phase from weakest to strongest (you may have heard of this from the Feingold diet).  Phenols can cause reactions during the early period of the SCD diet before healing has started to take place.  The reaction can be as small as a little constipation or diarrhea; or as large as complete brain fog and headaches.  You can download our free Phasing charts in PDF format along with a free chapter of our book here: Phasing into the SCD Diet.

Using this phasing approach will give your body a couple weeks (hopefully months) of low inflammation foods so that you can begin healing before you start trying more advanced foods.  At the very least, you should avoid Almond Flour and cheese (preferably most dairy) until you have been free of diarrhea, constipation, and other mental/physical symptoms for four days in a row.

To give you a rough idea of timing, you shouldn’t be entering into Phase 3 foods until you’re 3-6 months into the diet.  Keep in mind everyone is different and some will be faster just as some will be slower.

How Do I Introduce a New Food?

Only introduce a new food if you have been free of diarrhea, constipation, and other mental/physical symptoms for four days.  When deciding what foods to introduce next, follow our phasing charts or the stages diagrams from pecanbread.com and step through them one by one… don’t jump ahead.  When you try that new food, eat it for four days without changing anything else so you can know exactly what reaction, if any, you had to that food.  Track all your symptoms in a journal or you will be chasing your tail trying to figure out what happen when you spent the entire day on the toilet!

Final Thoughts…

At SCD Lifestyle Steve and I are committed to helping you start healing today, that is why we preach a very conservative approach to the diet.  No matter how many times we read Breaking the Vicious Cycle it just didn’t have a plan or the answers we needed to start getting healthy.  In the beginning we would try various SCD legal foods and they would leave us scratching our heads (on the toilet of course).  This frustration is what motivated us to finally write a book detailing a step-by-step outline showing how to survive the first 90 days and beyond… by taking it slow and healing properly.

We have been dealt this hand in life and this is the first time in our lives we have the power to fix it ourselves.  Take control, be diligent, and meticulously introduce new foods as slow as you can handle to make sure your going to be successful.

We have the right to live life feeling good just as much as anyone else… but it’s up to us to take control of what we put in our bodies!  Leave others your advice…

Ilona Burbach October 21, 2011 at 9:48 am

dear Steve and Jordan
I have just done a little research on a product called Wobenzyme. It is manufactured in Germany by Douglas Labs. It sounds very good to me. Do you know anything about this as it relates to ulcerative colitis and SCD ?
I have been doing the SCD diet for 68 days now and my health has improved very much-but-I have also been on prednisone and Salofalk and prevacid the entire time so I do not want to make too many commnents until I am free of the prednisone. Please let me know what you think about the Wobenzyme.
Ilona

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm

@ IIona – thanks for the question. Wobenzyme looks interesting, but I hate to say much about something unless I’ve tried it myself (anyone out there have experience?).

Digestive enzymes are always going to help support digestion, are you taking any form of them now? If you’re stuck, they might be the next step in getting a strong foundation of health.

Let us know,

Jordan Reasoner November 3, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Let us know,

Ilona Burbach December 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Thank you for answering-I had forgotten to check here-sorry.
I am taking the GIhealth prozymes-but Wobenzyme seems to go further and has been clinically tested for years in the German health system. There is, however , a caution about taking them while taking aspirin type meds.
I am on Salofalk and have decided to quit that for a while and replace it with wobenzyme and prozyme. I have been off the prednisone for 1 month now, and feel more inclined to contribute my experience on the SCD diet. I think it has been very good for me-I have been on it for 126 days and I have only strayed 2x with fresh blueberries. I have lost 35 lbs so far-which I could never lose before , despite being very disciplined. I literally saw the puffiness (toxins and water) flushing away .Must have had a gluten allergy for a long time and never knew. Sorry to ramble on , but I have hope and I thank you both for all you are doing to help. Ilona

Jordan Reasoner January 6, 2012 at 12:18 am

Thanks for the update IIona – glad you’re doing so well!

Keep up the great work taking control of your health and inspiring others :-)

Barb February 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Hi there, I was diagnosed with lympocytic colitis and put on entocort for a month – saw no changes. Have been living a gluten free lifestyle for 4 months yet no change in my bowels. I have lost 30 lbs and now weigh 123 lbs at 5’6″ – GI specialist doesn’t agree with this diet and told me that if entocort doesn’t work for me either will prednisone so didn’t give me anything else. My stools have been green and I asked him about it and his rude comment was “have you been eating frogs lately?” And I thought canada was supposed to have an awesome medical system. I left frustrated and he said to come back in 5 weeks with blood work to see where my nutrional level is at after this diet as he feels it is not enough. I have now been on it for 3 days with no change. I feel the soup makes me nauseated and the yogurt with honey gives me more diarhea depending on time of day i eat it which seems weird to me. I am starving so I am thinking am i just eating too much of the same thing?? I do have a plain hamburger patty for supper every night and 2 bananas a day (not ripe like they say as that gives me a stomach ache). I know it has only been a couple of days but should i stop the yogurt and just eat bananas and the meat as they seem to be the only things that don’t bother me. thanks so much !

Brandi H. November 6, 2013 at 7:23 pm

How long is each phase supposed to last?

Brandi

david January 13, 2014 at 12:15 am

I’d also like to know this? Anyone out there who can answer this question?

Siba March 1, 2014 at 9:38 am

They said in the post that the intro diet + phase 1 + phase 2 together should take about 3 to 6 months, depending on the person’s symptoms. So for each new food in the phases, give it 4 days. In phase 1, for example, there are 12 new foods (summer squash, acorn squash, butternut squash, buttercup squash, spinach, zucchini, pearsauce, applesauce, banana, homemade pecan milk, homemade nut milk yogurt, and homemade blanched almond milk). 4 multiplied by 12 is 48 days. So if you’ve had no complications or setbacks, you should be able to step into phase 2 after 48 days of being in phase 1. BUT, if you do not have any bad reactions to cows milk (or goats milk) yogurt, and you would not like to ever try the homemade nut milk yogurt, then you could probably skip that food and therefore reducing phase 1 to 44 days instead of 48. So it really depends on the person, their health, and their preferences.